Kath

British Royals

Duchess of York, Sarah Ferguson, caught on tape trying to sell access to ex-husband, Prince Andrew (from NY Daily News)

The Duchess of York has been caught on tape trying to make big bucks off Buckingham Palace, selling access to ex-hubby Prince Andrew for more than $700,000.

The pathetic bid for money was completely unknown to the prince, who is the second son of Queen Elizabeth and fourth in line to the throne, according to the News of the World, which set up the sting operation.

Ferguson, a 50-year-old redhead, even says flat out the prince "never does accept a penny for anything," before shaking on the shady deal.

Ferguson's spokeswoman, Kate Waddington, confirmed to The Associated Press the recording was authentic. She said the duchess was "devastated" and regretted the embarrassment she had caused.

The tabloid details two secret meetings in New York and London where the former Weight Watchers spokeswoman unveiled her ploy for payments: blatantly asking for a $40,000 cash advance followed by 500,000 pounds ($718,500) as a wire transfer and a promise of future commissions in exchange for providing access to Britain's royal family.

The sting, unveiled Sunday, includes video of the London meeting. Ferguson can be seen sitting in a bland Mayfair apartment, smoking a cigarette and sipping off a glass of red wine as a pile of bills sits on the coffee table.

The tabloid's reporter posed as a wealthy businessman seeking trade connections. Prince Andrew, 50, works as an unpaid special representative for Britain's international trade and investment.

"Five hundred thousand pounds when you can, to me - open doors," Ferguson tells the reporter, whose voice is disguised and face is blurred out in footage the newspaper said was shot around midnight on Tuesday.

"Look after me and he'll look after you," she said. "You'll get it back tenfold. I can open any door you want."

Ferguson and Prince Andrew have two daughters, Princesses Beatrice, 21, and Eugenie 20. The royal pair married in 1986, but split 10 years later.

With News Wire Services

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2010/05/...l#ixzz0onDerp8I

From Themirror.co.uk

Time for hanger-on Sarah Ferguson to get a proper job

I used to interview a lot of rock musicians and, whenever I went on tour with them, there were some stock characters that popped up.

The silent, beautiful, “proper” girlfriend. The sexy, rock ’n’ roll bit on the side. The dance-in-his-pants guitar roadie. The diligent PA. And the hanger-on.

The hanger-on was a bloke who was just there. He was a friend of the band, often from their younger, pre-famous years. He was funny, wild and even

drunker than the drummer.

His job? He didn’t have one, other than entertainment – being mad before and after the gigs. Showing his bum and swinging from the lights. He wasn’t even on the payroll.

Often, Mr H-O would sidle up to you at the bar and use his closeness with the band to try to chat you up. He’d drop in how long he’d known the singer, how said singer didn’t trust anyone and how, if you were nice, he’d get you better access.

Even as a naive rock hack, I knew he was talking rubbish. But on he’d ramble, trying to impress. As though being mates with someone talented makes you talented yourself.

Which brings us to Sarah Ferguson.

If the Royal Family are a band (and I realise they’d be even worse than The Hoosiers), then Fergie is definitely their biggest hanger-on.

How many years is it since she and Andrew split up? Eighteen. Eighteen years and she’s still lurching around hotel rooms with strangers, slurring about her intimate connections. Her connections with a group of people that has moved so far away from her that, in those 18 years, the lead singer – the Queen – has managed to see Fergie exactly once. For a weekend in Balmoral, two years ago, on Beatrice’s birthday.

Andrew, the band’s keyboard player, is as daft as he is loyal: providing Ms Hanger-On with a rent-free room in Royal Lodge, still laughing at her jokes, her crazy ways. Do you think that will continue now? Do you think that the lead singer will allow Fergie within 100 yards of any one of the band’s gated mansions?

Famous people are ruthless. Once you’ve fallen out of favour, once you’re not part of the hallowed centre, that’s it, you’re cut off. No more going to parties with other celebs. No room on the bus.

In the rock world, the hanger-on eventually does one of two things. Gets a terrible drug habit. Or gets a job. Fergie doesn’t have the gumption to do either. She’s had loads of post-band opportunities: America, always a sucker for the Royal Family, has been very kind to her.

And, because she’s the mother of Eugenie and Beatrice now of party-invite age, she gets asked to any number of glamorous dos. Fergie has had an easier ride than she had any right to expect. But she’s blown every chance.

Why can’t she do what every other idiot Sloane does – work as an estate agent? At least she’d get a salary and cheap accommodation.

Or marry a red-faced, moneyed berk who’d keep her tweeded and bumbling in the Shires.

She doesn’t need to support her daughters – there’s a trust fund set up for that – she just needs to support herself. Be a grown-up.

Anyone watching the video of her “negotiating” with the fake businessman for £500,000 to meet Andrew could see the ridiculousness of Fergie’s I’m-in-with-the-in-crowd claims. She wouldn’t have convinced an eight year old. Her hanger-on days are over.

Don’t forget that, in 2008, Fergie was paid large amounts of money to bring celebrities such as George Clooney, Brad Pitt and Cameron Diaz to a New York charity party. Not one of them turned up.

FINALLY. I am ashamed of how excited I am at the news of Prince William's engagement :unsure:

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebritynews/ne...ngaged-20101611

A week after Us Weekly reported that Prince William and Kate Middleton will wed next year, the two have announced that they are engaged.

It should be the biggest royal event since Prince Charles married Diana in 1981.

The royal engagement was announced in a statement Tuesday:

"The Prince of Wales is delighted to announce the engagement of Prince William to Miss Catherine Middleton.

"The wedding will take place in the Spring or Summer of 2011, in London. Further details about the wedding day will be announced in due course.

"Prince William and Miss Middleton became engaged in October during a private holiday in Kenya.

"Prince William has informed The Queen and other close members of his family. Prince William has also sought the permission of Miss Middleton’s father.

"Following the marriage, the couple will live in north Wales, where Prince William will continue to serve with the Royal Air Force," the statement concluded.

Edited by Hoyaheel

How refreshing to read that they kept this under wraps for 2 to 6 weeks before officially announcing, as opposed to Tweeting to the free world the second the proposal was accepted.

Congratulations to the happy couple.

How refreshing to read that they kept this under wraps for 2 to 6 weeks before officially announcing, as opposed to Tweeting to the free world the second the proposal was accepted.

Was just saying this to my officemate!

strange that there s no definite date.... "it might be spring.... it might be summer "

and no definite venue.... "it might be St Pauls... it might be Westminster abbey... or even Windsor !"

you d think all these basics would be decided by now !

I'm not a monarchist, so this news registers a solid 'meh' with me. I actually want to move away, so that I don't have to suffer the incessant press coverage.

I'll also be interested to see how this is handled while ordinary Brits are facing higher taxes and job cuts due to pressures on our economy. Are we now going to have to fork out for this three ring circus?

I am very proud of my English heritage so the engagement news is very exciting to me. I love the idea that he gave his mother's (Diana) ring to her. My tenth anniversary ring is very similar because our daughter's were both born in September and sapphires mean "forever loved." I just love the romance of a royal wedding!

Lainey posted photos from their press conference - said the video was hard to see because of all the photogs. I loved her blue dress - she looked good. And damn her hair. I want hair that's bouncy & shiny like that <_<

(I have an antique sapphire engagement ring - it's not as big as Di's but I do love it! I was never a fan of diamonds so hubby picked out something different for me)

At age 7, I was up at 5 am watching Charles & Diana's wedding. I imagine I'll do the same for these two. I can't help it :unsure:

• Like 1

I am very proud of my English heritage so the engagement news is very exciting to me. I love the idea that he gave his mother's (Diana) ring to her. My tenth anniversary ring is very similar because our daughter's were both born in September and sapphires mean "forever loved." I just love the romance of a royal wedding!

I kind of do, and I kind of don't love that he gave her his mom's engagement ring. I do, because of the sentimentality - his mom loved him so much and he was just a child when she died. I don't because her marriage was sad - Prince Charles was in love with Camilla before, during and after the marriage to Diana, but he couldn't marry Camilla; the Queen was jealous of the attention and love the public gave Diana and of course, her tragic end. I'm not so sure I'd want that particular engagement ring to start a marriage into the monarchy.

• Like 1

I'm happy for these two, but I'm already sick of the coverage and it has only been one day. And I'm in America. I can't imagine what it must be like in England. I can't wait until they get married already and everyone can go on with their lives.

I kind of do, and I kind of don't love that he gave her his mom's engagement ring. I do, because of the sentimentality - his mom loved him so much and he was just a child when she died. I don't because her marriage was sad - Prince Charles was in love with Camilla before, during and after the marriage to Diana, but he couldn't marry Camilla; the Queen was jealous of the attention and love the public gave Diana and of course, her tragic end. I'm not so sure I'd want that particular engagement ring to start a marriage into the monarchy.

Wow...very well said. I also loved Diana, probably since the Queen didn't. :1smile:

I can only add that the Middleton babe looks like a younger Elizabeth Hurley or Jacqueline Bisset... :4biggrin:

So excited! And I'll be up watching the wedding when it happens, regardless of the time. I'm a sucker, I know it and don't care. :D

• Like 1

So excited! And I'll be up watching the wedding when it happens, regardless of the time. I'm a sucker, I know it and don't care. :D

I was watching a little on the Today Show this morning with my husband (I'm working from home today) and making comments about them - my husband actually listened to some of the reports on NPR yesterday and could participate in the conversation. Now, I'm not saying he'll be up in the wee hours watching the wedding coverage with me (he'll mock me mercilessly) but it's sweet he tries, nonetheless :4biggrin:

I'm very superstitious about jewelry from divorces - I have the rings my mom had from her 1st two weddings - she took the diamond from her engagement to my father and made a pendant that matches garnet earrings she passed down from my great grandmother. And I have the gold wedding band from her marriage to my step dad (who raised me) I haven't figured out what to do with it yet, but - I can't wear it as a wedding ring :unsure: However - for those rings, at least I know there was love in the marriage at some point before the divorces. For Charles & Di - I don't know that I'm comfortable with that assumption. I do think it's sweet that he gave her the ring because he wanted his mother to be part of the process. I have to imagine they talked about it amongst themselves, too, and if Kate had wanted a different ring - I bet William would have found her something else.

I thought they were sweet and pretty dang normal in the snippets of the interview I saw this morning.

And yes, now I want them to go have a happy engagement and I don't need to hear anything about it until the wedding day ;)

I'm not a monarchist, so this news registers a solid 'meh' with me. I actually want to move away, so that I don't have to suffer the incessant press coverage.

I'll also be interested to see how this is handled while ordinary Brits are facing higher taxes and job cuts due to pressures on our economy. Are we now going to have to fork out for this three ring circus?

I'm not a monarchist either and the thought of having endless months of this is killing me!!

Apparently the Governemnt thinks that it will "lift the spirits" of the ordinary folk in hard times. And they'll give us a Bank Holiday just to sweeten us even more. Whoopie do. Hoping we'll forget the fact we pay around £45 million per year (and that doesn't count policing and security, that's an extra bill we pay) to keep them which really irks me when I'm having to work my arse off doing 60 hr weeks so my son and I can have a basic standard of living. But no doubt even if we don't end up paying for the actual wedding we'll foot the bill for the soldiers, police, security etc that will be used on the day. Maybe it's time they realised the UK is in recession and footed the bill themselves.

Bet it don't happen though.

First of all, is William really loosing his hair already?!?!

Posted Image

Diana's Engagement Ring Caught Prince Harry's Eye First

By Tim Nudd

Thursday November 18, 2010 01:30 PM EST

The dazzling sapphire ring that Prince William gave to Kate Middleton for their engagement famously belonged to his mother Diana. Less well known is that it was Prince Harry who first picked it out as a memento to keep after her death.

Following the Paris car crash that killed Diana in 1997, the brothers picked out special objects of hers at Kensington Palace. The sapphire caught Harry's eye, and he took possession of it – though the brothers reportedly agreed that whoever got engaged first would use it.

The ring holds immense meaning for both men, who clearly dismiss any notion that it might be cursed in some way, given the collapse of their parents' marriage and their mother's untimely death.

Still, some feel the ring might be symbolically burdened with the weight of the past, and that perhaps a fresh start would have been more appropriate.

William has been balding for YEARS. Not sure why people are commenting on it like it just started yesterday. Quite honestly, it doesn't bother me at all (my husband has been shaving his head for years because of his relatively early start on hair loss - I happen to think he looks great but I admit I'm biased) Yes, I think Harry is hot. But I've always had a soft spot in my heart for William, and that hasn't changed :-)

If William wants the reminder of his mother, and Kate wants to wear the ring - I think that's great. It's their marriage, after all. I assume after 8 years of dating, they're pretty comfortable with each other & know what compromises they'll make, etc.

Apparently the Governemnt thinks that it will "lift the spirits" of the ordinary folk in hard times.

The numpties; this isn't exactly on the scale of the Queen getting married after WW2! Although it doesn't surprise me that the ConDems would be so out of touch as to think a little bit of forelock-tugging is all we need. I did laugh to hear someone say is that all we need is for Argentina to invade the Falklands again and we'll be truly back in Thatcher's Britain.

Regarding William's baldness, one of the pundits over here pointed out very solemnly that "They've been together for 8 years so Kate knows exactly what she's getting into...she knows he'll be bald!"

I was just surprised about the hair loss, never noticed it before. I still think of him as too young for that kind of thing yet. :unsure:

I was just surprised about the hair loss, never noticed it before. I still think of him as too young for that kind of thing yet. :unsure:

I'm shocked that he obviously isn't taking propecia. Hair loss is genetic and propecia works really well!