27 replies to this topic

#21 fykeylicious

fykeylicious

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7397 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:37 AM

It's only a matter of time before James Franco is exposed -- lots of rumors about him and his shady "school" (where girls are made to undress, otherwise they're berated for being not truly "committed" to their "art"). Of course, he wore a Time's Up button also. 

Gary Oldman, whom I once loved, beat and choked his then-wife in front of their children.

Honoring these pigs is much more problematic than I, Tonya being nominated, in my opinion.

Edited by fykeylicious, 09 January 2018 - 06:38 AM.

#22 Hoyaheel

Hoyaheel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12098 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:13 AM

Agree. So many problematic people. Like Seth said in his opener - scared when they hear their names read out loud ;-) I get paranoid whenever I hear "did you hear about XYZ" in case it's someone I've longed loved/admired being accused of predation....

#23 James Otto Sweet Heart

James Otto Sweet Heart

Chatter Bug

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:56 PM

Why Hollywood Women Are Reportedly Wearing All Black to the Golden Globes
https://www.vanityfa...l-black-protest

To me, their reason for dressing in black was rather hypocritical when that film about Tonya Harding got nominations.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Holly, I don’t understand your comment. The all black movement was “to make a statement against the epidemic of sexual harassment in the entertainment industry and beyond.” I don’t see how the Tanya Harding movie makes that hypocritical. But then again I haven’t seen the movie so maybe I’m missing something. I do think that people who willingly worked with someone like Woody Allen or Danny Masterson after those allegations have been made public could be called a hypocrite,

Didn't that Tonya Harding girl attack another girl? The film that is made about her gets nominated, and then people who attend the awards dress in black to show that they are against abuse towards the female gender. If that is not hypocritical, I don't know what is.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. If they are against abuse of the female gender, why was a film about that girl made in the first place let alone nominated?

Edited by James Otto Sweet Heart, 09 January 2018 - 03:59 PM.

#24 Hoyaheel

Hoyaheel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12098 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:50 PM

Films are made about "bad" people all the time. And people win awards for them. There's never been a rule you have to be an angel to make a good movie. Matter of fact, Hollywood seems to like it better if you're NOT good ;-)

As for I, Tonya, I haven't seen it (I never see movies in theaters) but have enjoyed the reviews on Lainey's website. A LOT about what Tonya faced in terms of class issues in the skating world and abuse from her mother. Reviews are that the movie is quite balanced in its portrayal and is not a whitewash of Tonya, making her into a saint, but showing her realistically as a troubled person who made some bad choices but probably didn't feel she had a lot of good choices to make in the first place... 

So, while of course you're welcome to whatever you want to believe, I personally disagree with your assessment.

#25 Hoyaheel

Hoyaheel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12098 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:37 AM

Fantastic article in NYT today https://www.nytimes....an-scandal.html

I LOVE Taffy Brodesser-Akner!

#26 fykeylicious

fykeylicious

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7397 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:10 AM

Fantastic article in NYT today https://www.nytimes....an-scandal.html

I LOVE Taffy Brodesser-Akner!

Taffy Brodesser-Akner is a national treasure

#27 Hoyaheel

Hoyaheel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12098 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:36 AM

I know he's on our shitty men list, but I can't help laughing at Gary Oldman as Churchill doing James Brown

http://www.bbcameric...-as-james-brown

#28 tyler

tyler

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4625 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:49 AM

Films are made about "bad" people all the time. And people win awards for them. There's never been a rule you have to be an angel to make a good movie. Matter of fact, Hollywood seems to like it better if you're NOT good ;-)

As for I, Tonya, I haven't seen it (I never see movies in theaters) but have enjoyed the reviews on Lainey's website. A LOT about what Tonya faced in terms of class issues in the skating world and abuse from her mother. Reviews are that the movie is quite balanced in its portrayal and is not a whitewash of Tonya, making her into a saint, but showing her realistically as a troubled person who made some bad choices but probably didn't feel she had a lot of good choices to make in the first place... 

So, while of course you're welcome to whatever you want to believe, I personally disagree with your assessment.

I would also add that there is two different kinds of abuse here:  the "Me Too" movement is about the systematic sexual harassment that takes place in the work place by men in power that has been ignored for forever as opposed isolated acts of violence and crimes of violence whether they take place man against man, man against woman, child against adult or any combination of the above.

The Golden Globes, Oscars, etc. do not celebrate the act of violence, they celebrate the portrayal of the individual by another individual.  If there is no recognition of the distinction, Charlize Theron should not have been recognized for her portrayal in Monster which was the portrayal of a woman's violence against men, Sean Penn for Dead Man Walking, Halle Berry for Monster's Ball, etc.

Hoya brings up a good point about the class distinction between Tonya and Nancy -- I remember watching those olympics and the difference between princess Nancy and working class hero Tonya was very evident and as much as I think Nancy was the better skater a little part of me wished that Tonya would unsurp her.  Nancy to this day impresses me as self entitled righteous condescending bitch and her whining "why why why" still makes me cringe.

“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.”

Alfred, Batman and applicable today.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users