55 replies to this topic

#1 MMM1

MMM1

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 03:09 PM

I'm looking for some Chick Lit titles that aren't too explicit. I would like to be able to take the book to work and not get any stares :D. I've read two of the Shopaholic books and really enjoyed them..they are pretty tame.Any suggestions of books along that line?

#2 hazelnut

hazelnut

Chatter Box

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 03:50 PM

The Helen Fielding (Bridget Jones) books aren't bad and Meg Cabot (who wrote the Princess Diaries) has some adult chick lit out that's pretty good. A couple of other books I liked were The Devil Wears Prada and The Nanny Diaries.

#3 Zion

Zion

ChitChat FANatic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1737 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 04:27 PM

I love Janet Evanovich's Plum Series, they start with One for the Money. She has 10 of them done and more on the way. They are about a female bounty hunter who isn't exactly good at her job. The books are hilarious!! And there are a couple of really hot guys involved, not a lot of sex (I'd prefer more), but enough to keep me interested. :)

#4 MMM1

MMM1

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 05:13 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. It's nice to read a "no brainer" book at work :D

#5 princess

princess

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41512 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 05:27 PM

Hey BiteMe, what are those nippy noodles books we were readling again??

#6 BiteMeAngel

BiteMeAngel

Chatter Box

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 06:02 PM

The nippy noodle book was called "Angus, Thongs, and full-frontal snogging" and I forget the other titles. They were pretty funny and very fluffy about a british school girl and her school girl problems. Really cute and funny though.I really liked, "Can You Keep A Secret" by the shopaholic author. I liked it better then the shopaholic books. But the author definatly has a formula she uses in writing books. Still good fluff stuff though.

#7 soho2chelsea

soho2chelsea

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9576 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 11:21 AM

I really like Jennifer Weiner - she wrote this great book "Good In Bed" and some others that were really fun.
“Fashion is not about utility. An accessory is merely a piece of iconography used to express individual identity.”

#8 BiteMeAngel

BiteMeAngel

Chatter Box

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 05:50 PM

I just read one titled, "My favorite mistake". I liked that one. And another one called "English as a second language" about an American girl that goes to grad school in England. Both of those were pretty funny - I liked the first one better.I also recently read "Citizen Girl" but I didn't like it much. Kind of a weird book.

#9 Daze

Daze

Chit Chatter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 09:49 AM

I'm with Soho, Jennifer Weiner writes fantastic books! I read Good in Bed last year and I'm currently reading In her Shoes. So far though, my favorite chick-lit book is Playing with Boys by Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez.

#10 MMM1

MMM1

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 03:26 PM

Keep the titles coming :)I should be getting some books by Marian Keyes and Diane Johnson soon (have never read either author before).

#11 BiteMeAngel

BiteMeAngel

Chatter Box

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 04:11 PM

I read The Nanny Diaries recently (same author as "Citizen Girl") and it was pretty good. Only thing that annoys me about the authors is the stupid names they pick (the nanny's name is "Nanny" and the girl in "Citizen Girl is named Girl and her boss is Guy). Could be funny if they mention it - but not one joke is made. The endings are kinda a let-down... like they just wanted to finish it up real quick. But still, I liked Nanny Diaries.

#12 BlueberrySmoothie

BlueberrySmoothie

Chatter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 12:21 PM

Marian Keyes books are a scream.Watermelon and Rachel's Holiday were my favorites.I also like Jane Green's books.

#13 MMM1

MMM1

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 06:28 PM

I just got a big lot of Keyes books off of Ebay but haven't started them yet(the ones you mentioned were part of the lot). I'll put Green on my list.I'm in the middle of "The devil wears Prada"..pretty cute so far.

#14 princess

princess

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41512 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 09:46 AM

I just stared "The Devil wears Prada" last night based on your comments. Finished The Broker and ready for some fluff next :) So far very cute.

#15 princess

princess

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41512 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 07:36 PM

Marian Keyes books are a scream.Watermelon and Rachel's Holiday were my favorites.I also like Jane Green's books.

I'm currently reading Keyes' "The Other Side of the Story" - I'm enjoying it a lot.

#16 MMM1

MMM1

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 01:27 PM

I finished the Devil Wears Prada. It was cute but towards the end..I was so ready for it to be over..did some skimming towards the end :). Definitely could tell it was a first time writer. I did like that it made me feel better about my job...just knowing I wasn't stuck being some snob's assistant.Still haven't gotten to my Keye's books....going to start "The Lovely Bones" finally.

#17 hazelnut

hazelnut

Chatter Box

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 05:06 AM

"The Lovely Bones" is a great book! They are making it into a movie in a couple of years - I hope they don't ruin the story! Peter Jackson is directing it.

#18 princess

princess

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41512 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:03 PM

Just finished "Everyone Worth Knowing", same author as Devil Wears Prada. Very cute. :)

#19 MMM1

MMM1

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:58 PM

I was wondering if she had improved her writing :) Will check it out, eventually.

#20 bittermuch?

bittermuch?

ChitChat FANatic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1988 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 04:18 PM

<_< <_< <_< Oh man. The Lovely Bones is going to be a movie? That is extremely bad news. For personal reasons which I will not disclose (to do so would compromise my anonymity to a large degree, and I choose to preserve it for now), I hated that book before reading it and resisted reading it for years. Well, I finally read it on a flight back from vacation a couple of weeks ago and I am even more annoyed now that it has been so popular. My apologies to those who loved it: I'm sure it's an adequate book (although a little too "Chicken Soup for the Soul" for my tastes and with some glaring shortcomings) and I'm sure that my visceral negative reaction is mainly the result of my undisclosed personal issue...

On a more positive note, anyone who is looking for a good chick-lit-ish read might enjoy Lolly Winston's Good Grief. It tackles many of the same issues as Bones but took itself far less seriously and thus any flaws are more forgivable...
"I'm an experienced woman. I've been around. Well, alright, I might not have been around, but I've been... nearby." Mary Richards

"If it doesn't make sense, it's not true." - my mom quoting Judge Judy

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users