MMM1

Does Anyone Read Chick Lit?

I'm looking for some Chick Lit titles that aren't too explicit. I would like to be able to take the book to work and not get any stares :D. I've read two of the Shopaholic books and really enjoyed them..they are pretty tame.Any suggestions of books along that line?

The Helen Fielding (Bridget Jones) books aren't bad and Meg Cabot (who wrote the Princess Diaries) has some adult chick lit out that's pretty good. A couple of other books I liked were The Devil Wears Prada and The Nanny Diaries.

I love Janet Evanovich's Plum Series, they start with One for the Money. She has 10 of them done and more on the way. They are about a female bounty hunter who isn't exactly good at her job. The books are hilarious!! And there are a couple of really hot guys involved, not a lot of sex (I'd prefer more), but enough to keep me interested. :)

The nippy noodle book was called "Angus, Thongs, and full-frontal snogging" and I forget the other titles. They were pretty funny and very fluffy about a british school girl and her school girl problems. Really cute and funny though.I really liked, "Can You Keep A Secret" by the shopaholic author. I liked it better then the shopaholic books. But the author definatly has a formula she uses in writing books. Still good fluff stuff though.

I just read one titled, "My favorite mistake". I liked that one. And another one called "English as a second language" about an American girl that goes to grad school in England. Both of those were pretty funny - I liked the first one better.I also recently read "Citizen Girl" but I didn't like it much. Kind of a weird book.

I'm with Soho, Jennifer Weiner writes fantastic books! I read Good in Bed last year and I'm currently reading In her Shoes. So far though, my favorite chick-lit book is Playing with Boys by Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez.

Keep the titles coming :)I should be getting some books by Marian Keyes and Diane Johnson soon (have never read either author before).

I read The Nanny Diaries recently (same author as "Citizen Girl") and it was pretty good. Only thing that annoys me about the authors is the stupid names they pick (the nanny's name is "Nanny" and the girl in "Citizen Girl is named Girl and her boss is Guy). Could be funny if they mention it - but not one joke is made. The endings are kinda a let-down... like they just wanted to finish it up real quick. But still, I liked Nanny Diaries.

I just got a big lot of Keyes books off of Ebay but haven't started them yet(the ones you mentioned were part of the lot). I'll put Green on my list.I'm in the middle of "The devil wears Prada"..pretty cute so far.

I just stared "The Devil wears Prada" last night based on your comments. Finished The Broker and ready for some fluff next :) So far very cute.

Marian Keyes books are a scream.Watermelon and Rachel's Holiday were my favorites.I also like Jane Green's books.

I'm currently reading Keyes' "The Other Side of the Story" - I'm enjoying it a lot.

I finished the Devil Wears Prada. It was cute but towards the end..I was so ready for it to be over..did some skimming towards the end :). Definitely could tell it was a first time writer. I did like that it made me feel better about my job...just knowing I wasn't stuck being some snob's assistant.Still haven't gotten to my Keye's books....going to start "The Lovely Bones" finally.

"The Lovely Bones" is a great book! They are making it into a movie in a couple of years - I hope they don't ruin the story! Peter Jackson is directing it.

<_< <_< <_< Oh man. The Lovely Bones is going to be a movie? That is extremely bad news. For personal reasons which I will not disclose (to do so would compromise my anonymity to a large degree, and I choose to preserve it for now), I hated that book before reading it and resisted reading it for years. Well, I finally read it on a flight back from vacation a couple of weeks ago and I am even more annoyed now that it has been so popular. My apologies to those who loved it: I'm sure it's an adequate book (although a little too "Chicken Soup for the Soul" for my tastes and with some glaring shortcomings) and I'm sure that my visceral negative reaction is mainly the result of my undisclosed personal issue...

On a more positive note, anyone who is looking for a good chick-lit-ish read might enjoy Lolly Winston's Good Grief. It tackles many of the same issues as Bones but took itself far less seriously and thus any flaws are more forgivable...

While I liked Lovely Bones, I know what you mean about the Chicken Soup thing. :D I've been sticking to my fluffy chick lit last few books. I got a box full of random books that I'll be digging thru soon though, let you know if find anything good.

I read "MilkRun" by Sarah Mylnowski..pretty good...also now reading "Whose Wedding is it Anyway?" by Melissa Senate..pretty cute.

I agree that Good in Bed was a good read. I also love the Stephanie Plum series. I began them back in the summer and am currently on Hot Six. Since they'll be making the first one into a movie (with Reese Witherspoon), I keep thinking of actors and actresses for various parts. I keep picturing Estelle Getty everytime Grandma speaks in the book. I swear the character is straight out of Golden Girls. At the same time this past winter, I was reading Girl With a Pearl Earring. Took me forever as I never got more then a few pages read a day. I do NOT recommend that one.

I struggled through The Girl With A Pearl Earring. I liked the idea behind the book (not much is known about the painter, so the author created a story behind one of his paintings), but I didn't care for the writing style.

I agree that Good in Bed was a good read.

I also love the Stephanie Plum series. I began them back in the summer and am currently on Hot Six. Since they'll be making the first one into a movie (with Reese Witherspoon), I keep thinking of actors and actresses for various parts. I keep picturing Estelle Getty everytime Grandma speaks in the book. I swear the character is straight out of Golden Girls.

I loved Good in Bed! Great book. I have another one by her--Goodnight, Nobody--has anyone read that one?

I also just read Enchanted, Inc. by Shanna Swendson. It's basically like Sex in the City meets a grown-up Harry Potter; but without the sex! It's cute.

Stephanie Plum is getting old for me--she's been losing her gun in the bottom of her purse too many times. And how many times does her car have to blow up? You'd think after 12 years of being a bounty hunter, she'd learn something! Still, they are funny books, and I do have a thing for Morelli. :D