Photo

Does Anyone Read Chick Lit?

52 replies to this topic

#41 Hoyaheel

Hoyaheel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12103 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:21 AM

Did anyone ever read that follow-up to DuMaurier's Rebecca...I think it was called Mrs De Winter? Just wondering if it was any good.

Yes. I didn't like it. No sense of gothic like the original.

On the other hand, I loved Wide Sargasso Sea (prequel to Jane Eyre) and I know a lot of people didn't like that, so personal preference will play a role, of course :D

#42 madamecleo

madamecleo

Chit Chatter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:48 AM

Did anyone ever read that follow-up to DuMaurier's Rebecca...I think it was called Mrs De Winter? Just wondering if it was any good.

Yes. I didn't like it. No sense of gothic like the original.

On the other hand, I loved Wide Sargasso Sea (prequel to Jane Eyre) and I know a lot of people didn't like that, so personal preference will play a role, of course :D

LOL. I was supposed to read Wide Saragasso Sea for a college class....erm...but I never did.

I do have a friend who wrote an extremely erotic, S&M version of Jane Eyre that she's trying to get published. It has Jane tying up Mr. Rochester and having her way with him....LOL.

#43 Leia1912

Leia1912

Chatter Box

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:39 PM

Hey, it could get published. There are many, er, non-traditional Austen books on the market. Emma Tennant published one that had Jane Austen's Emma as a lesbian, for example. (I myself wish for one in which Fanny Price from "Mansfield Park" runs off with Henry Crawford after all--watch the 1999 film of "Mansfield Park" to see a really yummy Henry.)

#44 madamecleo

madamecleo

Chit Chatter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:31 PM

Hey, it could get published. There are many, er, non-traditional Austen books on the market. Emma Tennant published one that had Jane Austen's Emma as a lesbian, for example. (I myself wish for one in which Fanny Price from "Mansfield Park" runs off with Henry Crawford after all--watch the 1999 film of "Mansfield Park" to see a really yummy Henry.)

Well, there goes another flick to be added to my Netflix queue. Thanks for the hint, Leia!

#45 Leia1912

Leia1912

Chatter Box

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:54 PM

Hehehe. Henry is played by Alessandro Nivola. Enjoy!

#46 Hoyaheel

Hoyaheel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12103 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:40 AM

I finished Mr Darcy Takes a Wife a couple weeks ago and it turns out Linda Berdoll released another follow-up in March--Darcy & Elizabeth: Nights and Days at Pemberly....So I just requested that at the library. I really enjoyed the first "sequel"--lots of action & sex :D

#47 MMM1

MMM1

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:53 PM

Just finished "Lucia,Lucia" by Adriana Trigiani..loved it :)

#48 MMM1

MMM1

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:48 AM

Just finished "Carrie Pilby" (red dress ink) by Caren Lissner. One of the more insightful chick lit books that I've read...it's about a quirky genius type with lousy social skills.

#49 Cutielb99

Cutielb99

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5845 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 08:19 AM

Just finished "Everyone Worth Knowing", same author as Devil Wears Prada. Very cute. :)

Just finished it last night. I liked it.... quick, easy, funny, predictable.

#50 princess

princess

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41481 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:36 PM

Just read Bringing Home the Birkin, very cute :)

http://www.bringinghomethebirkin.com/

#51 Hoyaheel

Hoyaheel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12103 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:03 PM

I was posting in the British Royals thread - Meg Cabot has a new Princess Diaries book coming out in August!!!

http://ew.com/books/...mia-of-genovia/

#52 branchop

branchop

ChitChat FANatic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2723 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:50 AM

The Hating Game by Sally Thorne, is my favorite book right now. It is about a year old now but I have read it three times in the last six months.
The most accident prone person on the planet..... :(

#53 Hoyaheel

Hoyaheel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12103 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 11:13 AM

I have Hating Game on my ebooks library request, I think. It's on my book list to be sure.

About halfway through So Close by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus (who wrote Nanny Diaries and a few others). Took me a while to realize why it was so familiar - the couple/family are modeled on John & Elizabeth Edwards (I think in NC we got more of the end of that scandal than the nation as a whole did....I'm still bitterly disappointed in him. He was a GOOD politician for this state. But a rotten man.)

Edited by Hoyaheel, 22 May 2018 - 11:13 AM.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users