MissuTam

Leslie Jones, Star of ‘Ghostbusters,’ Becomes a Target of Online Trolls

It's really hard for me to understand the vitriol of people like this, and the people who target women gamers, etc. I guess I'm really naive in that I just can't imagine going there for any reason. I'm always so shocked when I read these stories. Maybe it's because I had a real hippie for a mom. I'm stunned. Really the whole world is shocking to my sensibilities lately.

• Like 2

Sheesh.

Are people getting nastier, or has it always been this bad but just now more readily apparent thanks to the rise of social media? ETA: I refuse to believe that I am just now becoming sensitive to this because I've officially crossed in to "Get off my lawn" territory.

Edited by Maxiemom

I don't know if people have always been this nasty, but they certainly are more comfortable sharing their ugliness now that they can hide behind a screen name.

It was always a troubling world, but lately it's become downright scary. People have a lot of hate in their hearts. Very sad.

• Like 3

I think part of it is that the world is becoming smaller because of technology - so people who in the past could have lived in their personal sanitized shell are now "forced" to confront things they don't want to, including people who are different and hold different beliefs. It's hard for me to understand, but it's out there. And it's fucking frightening.

And yes, anonymity and social media make it easier to spread the hate.