Sign in to follow this  
MissuTam

Usher

Usher to make his Broadway debut in the long-running revival of the musical Chicago.

The singer, 27, will take on the role of lawyer Billy Flynn, which has been played by Richard Gere, Taye Diggs, Billy Zane and David Hasselhoff. The singers last album, Confessions, sold more than 8 million copies in the U.S. Usher opens on August 22 and will appear through October 1.

FIRST AID

Singer-actor Usher – who begins his run in the Broadway musical Chicago on Aug. 22 – gets a Big Apple welcome and an urban survival kit (including pepper spray and Junior's cheesecake) from MTV's Vanessa Minnillo during an appearance on Monday's TRL.

Posted Image

USHER HITS A HIGH NOTE AS 'CHICAGO' DEBUT NEARS16 AUGUST 2006The all-singing, all-dancing role of Billy Flynn in Chicago would present quite a challenge for most budding actors. R&B star Usher, who is already well-known for both his vocal skills and fancy footwork, seemed to be taking everything in his stride as he took part in rehearsals this week, though. If the grin on his face on Tuesday afternoon was anything to go by, the Dallas-born singer wasn't feeling too nervous about making his Broadway debut next week. Indeed the 27-year-old seemed to be thoroughly enjoying himself as a troupe of shapely dancers surrounded him with dazzling white plumes. Usher is best know for chart-topping hits like Yeah! and Burn, but he's also made some forays into acting with shows like Sabrina The Teenage Witch and The Bold And The Beautiful. Taking on the male lead in Chicago is by far his biggest acting job to date, though, and he's hoping to match the success of Richard Gere, who picked up a slew of awards after starring in the movie version four years ago. "This is a very exciting time in my career," said the performer. "I have always admired Broadway actors for their showmanship, dedication and the focus that goes into performing live onstage every night. When they asked me to play Billy Flynn, I jumped at the chance to be a part of such an amazing production."

LADIES' MAN

He's already getting VIP treatment! Singer-actor Usher is the center of a fan frenzy while rehearsing for his upcoming Broadway debut (on Aug. 22) in the musical Chicago on Tuesday.

Posted Image

Usher's next stage 'Chicago' made him wanna woo Broadway BY REBECCA LOUIE Usher takes center stage as Billy Flynn in a dress rehearsal for 'Chicago.' 'I have to spread my wings to build my career,' says Usher, dazzling fans in Puerto Rico. It's less than a week before his Broadway debut, and Usher is striding around a rehearsal studio on the West Side of Manhattan. Dressed in a black suit and shiny patent leather shoes, he circles the five folding chairs that represent the Ambassador Theater's 1920s set of "Chicago," which he joins Tuesday for a six-week spin as slick criminal attorney Billy Flynn. He gestures passionately, pleading to an invisible jury to show mercy on his murderess client, Roxie Hart; he hits every beat of his monologue. After a bit of banter with actress Bianca Marroquin, who plays Roxie, a piano swells with a Kander and Ebb tune. Trading his Grammy-winning R&B croon for a forceful boom, Usher sings, "All I care about is looooooooove!"And it's pretty clear that he's loving every minute of it."They say the real experience, the true meaning of acting is here, on the stage," says the 27-year old singer, who was introduced to the theater over a decade ago when he dated Ben Vereen's daughter Karon (the Tony-winning veteran Vereen subsequently became his godfather). "I have to hold it together and I can't cut to a new scene. Here, it's 'Action!' and then three hours later they say 'Cut!'"And what happens in between is either magic or madness. I hope it will be magic. In fact, I know that it will be magic."After the rehearsal, Ben Vereen arrives at the tiny space bearing gifts for his godson. Only one - a plastic soap bubble gun - is tangible. The rest, like acting tips, character-building strategies, and in-depth analyses of stagecraft, will manifest onstage."The idea is yes, we know him as Usher, but do we know him as an actor?" asks Vereen, who's been informally prepping the pop star during occasional after-hours sessions. "It's about developing a new character, getting deeper inside. To step out of the hip-hop world, out of his comfort zone, into unfamiliar territory - that is courage. And he's going to get up there and just take off!"At the Ambassador on Tuesday, Usher will reveal his take on the oft-played Flynn - embodied on film by Richard Gere in the Oscar-winning 2002 movie adaptation of Bob Fosse's musical, which was first produced in 1975 and successfully reinvented for a new audience a decade ago - as "a real cool cat. Aggressive, smooth, but soft when he needs to be." To maintain his voice and energy for the show, the young superstar is staying away from the clubs and late nights. "I rest," Usher says. "I don't really get out too much. I work out, I rest, I work. I might go and eat or something like that, but I have an apartment in Manhattan, so I'll usually cook something to eat."(As far as other nocturnal extracurriculars, the hunk, who's been linked in the past to TLC's Rozonda "Chilli" Thomas, says yes, he's dating, but far from attached: "I have to try to find the space to have a personal life and a career.")Usher is the latest of a bushel of film and music stars who in recent years have attempted to shine on Broadway marquees (including P. Diddy in "A Raisin in the Sun," Mos Def in "Topdog/Underdog," 'N Sync's Joey Fatone in "Rent" and even former Backstreet Boy Kevin Richardson as Flynn in "Chicago"). One goal of this strategy is to try and rejuvenate the theatergoing audience with younger, hipper crowds. Another, of course, is the thing that adds razzle-dazzle to everything: box office. Shortly after the announcement of Usher's starring role, it's reported that ticket sales went up 30%.But more than making money, or joining a trend, Usher hopes to broaden his range as a performer, going beyond being a fab-abbed, chart-topping heartthrob and shed what he charmingly calls his "Usher suit.""Think of the actor who played Urkel," Usher says, referring to the geek from the '90s sitcom "Family Matters." "No matter how many times you see that actor, Jaleel White, you are always going to think of Urkel. Well, I think everybody always sees 'Usher.' But I am a real person. As an actor, I have to spread my wings in a way that will help build my career. I don't feel like it's safe, but if you allow yourself to view and understand it and not think about 'Usher' but about the actor, you'll really see something magical."As a film actor, Usher has yet to capture the magic that's seen in concert and caught on albums, including 1997's "My Way" and 2001's "8701." In his early movies - the 1998 horror film "The Faculty" and 1999's angsty "She's All That" - he's a regular teen, albeit one with a killer grin and bod to match. In last fall's "In the Mix," his first leading role, he played a charming deejay turned bodyguard. Despite riding the coattails of his hit 2004 album "Confessions," the film, which Usher also executive produced, had a weak box-office performance."I didn't really have any thoughts on that other than the reality of it," says the singer, born Usher Raymond IV in Dallas, and raised in Chattanooga, Tenn. "Every time you put out an album - or put out anything - you hope that it's going to be as successful as possible. "I could view it as an accomplishment - there are many people who never get a chance to act in anything. ... But every film an actor does [can't be] a blockbuster. So you know, I guess I got to get back up there and continue to do it."Some fans and peers however, just want Usher to hurry up and do what they know him to do best - make music. It's been two years since he released new material. Longtime collaborator Jermaine Dupri has been among those urging the hitmaker back into the studio."Jermaine, he personally felt like, 'You know what, man? People are becoming a little disrespectful in terms of understanding what real entertainment is,'" says Usher of those who feel puzzled by his Broadway dreams. "And I'm like, 'Listen - I do what I do, and I let others do what they do.' Jermaine said, 'You need to get back out there.' "So, all right," he smiles, "I am going to get back out there. But this is something I really wanted to do. It's only six weeks! When it's over, I'll get back to that."Besides, there is not much in the pop world that's tempting the singer right now. "I feel like music is very stagnant and entertainment is very stagnant now, which is part of the reason why I want to do something like 'Chicago,'" Usher laments. "Everybody is either copying or ... copying. Which is a compliment, but I feel like soon [it'll be] time to get back in there. And give them something new to borrow from." Originally published on August 20, 2006

'Chicago' theater is now house of Usher BY JO PIAZZADAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER Usher made his Broadway debut last night. Celebrity guests sprinkled the sold-out audience for R&B heartthrob Usher's first preview performance as lawyer Billy Flynn in "Chicago" last night. Penelope Cruz, Gabrielle Union, Phylicia Rashad, Rosie Perez, Gayle King and Jill Murray Jones were among those swooning in the seats of Broadway's Ambassador Theater. "He's got charm for days," Union said. "If any man can charm a woman out of her jail cell and out of her clothes, it's Usher." The singer's entrance as the silver-tongued prince of the courtroom was met with ear-shattering hoots, hollers and cheers. The 27-year-old Grammy winner, whose real name is Usher Raymond, has a six-week engagement in the long-running revival. His official debut comes Sept. 6. Usher pronounced himself satisfied with his first time out at the after-party at midtown eatery Nikki Beach. "I think music is like a monogamous relationship. Acting in theater is like a different woman every night," he philosophized. "I'm happy I had a great show. I'm happy to be on Broadway and sing and dance. I enjoyed it." Producers Barry and Fran Weissler are no strangers to novelty casting for the show, having put stars like George Hamilton and Taye Diggs in the role. But their expectations for Usher were high. "He is nothing less than brilliant. He is a wonderful actor, dancer and singer and has that special charisma," Barry Weissler said. "He's almost too good." Charisma and a stellar voice carried the crooner through the role despite the first-night jitters that made him rush a few lines. Still, it was clear he was having fun with the role - and so was the audience. Rashad, a longtime fan of the musical, was thrilled at Usher's casting. "He's just the best for this role . . . so well-suited," she said. Originally published on August 23, 2006

HAND IT TO HIM

Usher takes a bow with his castmates on opening night of Chicago at New York City's Ambassador Theatre on Tuesday. The R&B singer's run as the toe-tapping lawyer Billy Flynn in the Broadway musical will run through Oct. 1.

Posted Image

Usher's Broadway Debut Comes Off Without A Hitch — Except For That Cell Phone ...

From MTV.com

NEW YORK — Tuesday night on Broadway, the atmosphere at the Ambassador Theater felt like the opening date of a concert tour. Usher was making his grand debut on Broadway as the immaculately dressed Billy Flynn in "Chicago" and everything was going according to plan. He was onstage delivering a song, when all of sudden, Usher found himself battling for the audience's attention — pitted against a ringtone of Cassie's "Me & U."

An audience member had broken the theater's rules and left his or her cell phone on. The ringer was as loud as the music coming from the stage — and Usher was convinced it was coming from the phone of his former mentor, J Records head Clive Davis.

"I gotta get in Clive Davis' a--," Usher said after the show, on the red carpet of his afterparty at Manhattan's Nikki Beach. "His phone was ringing right in the middle of the play. Can you believe that?"

Davis, the legendary music mogul, would later say with a smile that Usher was surely kidding — and he doesn't even have a phone. "If I had a phone, how could he tell it was me?" he asked.

That minor hiccup notwithstanding, Usher's turn in Chicago was essentially flawless, which should come as little surprise. He's obviously spent most of his life focusing on singing and dancing — his top hat in one of the closing numbers will give some flashbacks of "My Way." He added a little bit of soul to songs such as "All I Care About," and even made "Razzle Dazzle" seem cool. Although his dance routines on Broadway aren't as intricate or fast-paced as the ones for his own classics like "Caught Up" and "Yeah!," he managed to add a bit of his own hip-hop flavor to the play: An extra spin here, a little more swagger on a foot-glide there.

As an actor, Usher had no problem getting his smooth on, transforming himself into the manipulative but charming "silver-tongued prince of the courtroom," Flynn. He's a lawyer trying to get a couple of homicidal hotties off of death row — for the small price of $5,000 each.

"I got a great response my first night," Usher said after the show. "I'm happy I could share this moment with so many great people. Of course, you have opening-night jitters on anything you do, especially Broadway." (See " 'Broadway Is No Joke': An Inside Look At Usher's 'Chicago' Rehearsals" and "Usher Goes To Broadway, Finds Kindred Spirit In Richard Gere").

Along with Clive Davis, Penelope Cruz, Ben Vereen, Mario, Gabrielle Union, Swizz Beatz, Rosie Perez, Jill Marie Jones, Bryan Barber, Phylicia Rashad and Oprah Winfrey's best friend Gayle King were in the audience to cheer the man who sits atop the R&B food chain.

"I was very impressed," said "Idlewild" director Barber said of Usher's performance. "He was very convincing. I love what Usher brings with his vocals."

"It's something I will remember 10 years from now," Mario said of seeing his friend on a Broadway stage, calling the performance "effortless." "I'm enjoying that he respects the art of it."

Broadway veteran Bianca Marroquin, who plays Roxie Hart (one of the aforementioned homicidal hotties) in "Chicago" and spends a considerable amount of time with Usher, said the Grammy winner is "wonderful."

"We're so impressed, so proud, we can't wait to see what else he's gonna do," she enthused.

A few hundred people mingled outside the theater after the show let out, hoping to get a glimpse of Usher as he made his exit in a pearly white 1936 Auburn Speedster (promotional posters for the play find him posing in front of one). However, his dramatic exit was delayed as the crowd mobbed his vehicle, leaving no room to drive off.

The afterparty had all the trappings of a Hollywood premiere, with two white Rolls-Royce Phantoms lining the streets (Swizz Beatz pulled up in one) along with SUVs, Benzes and at least one Maybach. Inside the hot club, members of the "Chicago" cast were seen dancing to Justin Timberlake's "SexyBack," actor Keith David was taking pictures with friends, and several ladies formed their own circle and got down to Nelly Furtado's "Promiscuous." Ben Vereen Jr. joined in the excitement, jumping on a chair and dancing when the DJ threw on Beyoncé's "Deja Vu."

Even stars who missed the play, like Busta Rhymes, Amerie and Consequence, came out to congratulate the man of the evening.

— Shaheem Reid, with additional reporting by Jennifer Vineyard

Usher's In As Flynn

Posted Aug 23rd 2006 2:40PM by TMZ Staff

Posted Image

After doing music, films and television, Usher Raymond can now add Broadway performer to his repertoire. The hip-hop star had his big debut last night as lawyer Billy Flynn in the musical "Chicago."

Citing greats like Bob Fosse, Sammy Davis Jr. and Ben Vereen as inspirations, Raymond says his plan all along was to be a triple threat.

"I looked at all of the people who were real entertainers. They had the ability to be triple threats: dance, sing and act. I've danced. I've sang and done exceedingly well. I've acted and done well. I want the opportunity to be able to say, 'You can't call me a half entertainer. I'm not. I've done it all.'"Though "In the Mix" wasn't exactly a hit and his minor roles in the sci-fi film "The Faculty" and rom-com "She's All That" left much to be desired, Raymond certainly has the charisma, voice and moves to fill in the role made famous by Richard Gere in the Oscar winning film.

Posted Image

TMZ caught stars like Penelope Cruz, Clive Davis and Rosie Perez, who all came out to support Usher, as well as Raymond himself as he went into an after-party for his performance.

Usher will perform in the show through October 1st.

SUPPORTING ACT

Ashlee Simpson drops in on Usher backstage at his Broadway theater on Wednesday before he heads out to razzle-dazzle the audience as slick lawyer Billy Flynn in Chicago.

Posted Image

Usher's Broadway Debut Boosts Box Office R&B star Usher's debut performance on the Broadway stage as Billy Flynn in Chicago has created a massive boost in ticket sales. The singer made his debut on the New York City stage on Tuesday night and on Wednesday, the 10-year-old show sold $200,000 in tickets - the show's biggest single-day take in years. The musical usually sells approximately $40,000 worth of tickets per day. Producer Barry Weissler is thrilled with the crowd's reaction, although he is having some trouble controlling them. On Tuesday night, hundreds of frenzied fans rambled over barricades surrounding a 1935 Auburn convertible in which Usher was seated, mobbing their idol. A mob scene also greeted Usher after Wednesday's matinee, where fans again tried to climb over the barricades. Weissler has hired additional guards and has asked the city to supply more uniformed police to help control the crowds. He adds, "There is a new excitement on the street, and it's wonderful. But it can be a little scary."

HANDS ON

New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin takes time out from his New York goodwill trip to give his regards to Usher, who's starring onstage in Chicago. The southern-born singer had started a housing program for residents displaced by Hurricane Katrina and recently volunteered in the Big Easy.

Posted Image

Usher -- I Feel Like Crap!

Posted Oct 10th 2006 12:29PM by TMZ Staff

Filed under: Gossip/ Rumors, Music

TMZ has learned that R&B star Usher is sick with the flu and has been unable to perform in the Broadway musical "Chicago." Usher, who has been playing Billy Flynn in the production since August 22, missed several shows Friday through Monday. Fans have lined the streets near the Ambassador Theater each night demanding refunds after discovering his understudy would be performing. Word has it that his doctor has ordered him to be on bed rest the remainder of the week (Wednesdays are his night off anyway) and that he may not return to the stage at all.

The singer was originally scheduled to perform through October 1, but extended his run until October 14, which is also his birthday. The shows have been sold-out for weeks and Usher is reportedly the highest paid to play the role of "Billy" in "Chicago" of all time. No word on whether he'll make up the sick days and extend his run again.

A call to Usher's management company was not returned.

Usher Closes Curtain on 'Chicago' Run

R&B star Usher has been forced to cancel his remaining appearances in Broadway musical Chicago, after failing to shake off a bout of the flu. The singer, real name Usher Raymond, has been playing slick lawyer Billy Flynn in the production since August 22. But he fell ill last Friday and has now cancelled all of his performances up until the end of his run on October 14. Usher's manager Jonnetta Patton says, "Usher has had an amazing time on Broadway and loved every minute of performing on stage with the entire cast of Chicago. He expresses his sincere apologies to all of his fans who purchased tickets to see him in Chicago this final week and appreciates all of their love and support." The show's producer Barry Weissler pays tribute to poorly Usher: "Usher made a spectacular Broadway debut, bringing a great dedication, work ethic and his amazing talent to the show. We all hope that he might return at some point for the many fans that were unable to see his wonderful performance as Billy Flynn. Usher has found a new home on Broadway and is welcome back anytime." Understudy Bernard Dotson will play Flynn until Christopher McDonald takes over the part on October 15

HANDS ON

New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin takes time out from his New York goodwill trip to give his regards to Usher, who's starring onstage in Chicago. The southern-born singer had started a housing program for residents displaced by Hurricane Katrina and recently volunteered in the Big Easy.

Posted Image

They look like old girlfriends who hadn't seen each other for a while!!haha..

LADIES' MAN

He's already getting VIP treatment! Singer-actor Usher is the center of a fan frenzy while rehearsing for his upcoming Broadway debut (on Aug. 22) in the musical Chicago on Tuesday.

Posted Image

Doesn't she-I mean HE look like one of the girls??

Brand New Bag

USHER may get to play the Godfather of Soul, James Brown, on the big screen. Usher's stock is high with his riveting singing and dancing in "Chicago" on Broadway. Imagine Entertainment and Paramount Pictures are said to be searching for a director. The movie is "still in an options state," but a script is in the works, and Black Eyed Pea Fergie is vying to play the role of "one of Brown's wives," said an insider. Brown's manager, Super Frank, told us: "Mr. Brown is a true legend of our times, and he is very excited about making the film."

Posted Image

Usher leaves his mark at the opening of his new Atlanta wine bar The Grape on Wednesday. The R&B singer and new business owner is planning on expanding the wine bar franchise to different cities, including New York and Los Angeles, in the next year, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports.

Hey, my fav wine bar downtown San Diego is The Grape, didn't know it was a franchise.

GOT MOMENTUM

Page Six

December 28, 2006 -- THE biopic of James Brown we told you about a few weeks ago is picking up steam now that the Godfather of Soul is dead. Page Six reported that Usher was a favorite for the lead based on his singing and dancing in "Chicago." Fergie of the Black-Eyed Peas wants to play one of Brown's wives. Yesterday, Variety reported that Spike Lee has signed on to direct the movie about Brown's life, which was optioned by Brian Grazer of Imagine Films and Paramount. Grazer, who'd spent a lot of time with Brown recently, said, "It's somehow not surprising that he died on Christmas Day. He was the ultimate showman, all the way to the end."

Usher Fined $425 for Speeding in Ga.

Usher has been found guilty of speeding in a July 4 incident in which he was pulled over on Interstate 75 for driving 103 mph.

The 28-year-old R&B singer appeared in Bartow County court Tuesday to face a speeding citation. He was fined $425 by Probate Court Judge Mitchell Scoggins and told to perform 20 hours of community service.

After the ruling, Usher spent 30 minutes signing autographs for fans inside the courthouse, said a representative for Scoggins.

Usher is a five-time Grammy winner. His hits include "Confessions," "Burn," "You Make Me Wanna" and "Yeah!"

From Faded Youth...

USHER TO MARRY HIS BEARD?

Here's a headline shocker: Usher is getting married. To a woman!

'Sources say the R&B icon is engaged to his longtime girlfriend and stylist Tameka Foster. "It's 100 percent official," said an insider. The couple began dating more than a year ago, but tried to keep it quiet - going so far as denying their relationship - but they recently became more open with their love. "She is wearing a beautiful ring," said a friend of Usher, "and he's been introducing her as his fiance."'

Awww....isn't it cute when gay celebs marry their fag hags? From Merv Griffin and Zsa Zsa Gabor to John Travolta and Kelly Preston, marrying your one and only beard is a true Hollywood institution. Congratulations, y'all!

PATTY JACKSON'S 4-1-1

Is Usher about to get married? Against his mother’s wishes, he is moving full speed ahead with his older woman.

Tameka Foster is a divorced mother of three, and she used to be his stylist.

Foster left her husband to be with Usher. Usher appears happy with Foster, and word has it he wants to marry her.

NY DAILY NEWS

Trouble with wedding Usher

There's one person who isn't wishing newly engaged couple Usher and Tameka Foster well: Usher's mom.

Sources tell us that Jonetta Patton is "flipping out" about the impending nuptials, as she isn't thrilled with the candidate for daughter-in-law.

Momma Usher once fired Foster as her son's stylist because "she didn't think she was dressing him according to the caliber of star he was."

Patton also suspected Foster was angling to replace her as the star's manager.

Last month, we caught up with the cozy couple at an event at Core Club, where Tameka assured us, "I'm just his friend, just his very best friend."

She added, "You can't go anywhere these days without being made into a girlfriend or engaged or something."

Usher's rep did not return calls.

(Pagesix.com)

Smell Like Me

HE sings, he acts, and soon he's going to smell. Usher has inked a multimillion deal with Liz Claiborne Cosmetics to create a fragrance line. The Grammy winner's scents for men and women are expected to hit department stores this fall. He tells Women's Wear Daily that Usher-themed clothing and accessories are also in the works. His fragrance will join an already crowded shelf of scents by celebs such as Jennifer Lopez, Paris Hilton, Hilary Duff and Derek Jeter.