Sign in to follow this  
princess

Tom Hanks & Rita Wilson

Pushy Parent Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks forced his way into his son's new movie.

The Oscar winner was so impressed with the script for 'The Great Buck Howard' he decided he wanted to play his son Colin's onscreen dad whether he liked it or not.

Tom, 52, said: "I selfishly attached myself as the dad. I didn't even ask Colin, I just said, 'Hey listen, I'd like to play the dad.' He kind of rolled his eyes and said, 'Well yeah, I can see why.' And that was that."

The movie - which also stars British actress Emily Blunt and premiered in New York this week - tells the story of a young man who accepts a job as the assistant to a jaded illusionist, played by John Malkovich.

Emily plays a pushy publicist in the film and admits she learnt a lot about how to portray her character from her own experiences in the movie industry.

She said: "I see a lot of PR people at photo shoots and the red-carpet events where they are flapping around their clients. Mine, Rupert, certainly is never like that. But I've been witness to that sort of thing. I did steal from a few situations I've been in or been witness to."

Source monstersandcritics.com

Tom Hanks has become the Jimmy Stewart of our generation. We all seem to admire him and the personal feeling I get, is that I trust him. He just genuinely seems honest.

Yeah I dont know what that means. A person has to earn admiration, trust and a reputation for honesty. What's he honest about? We never had a conversation. Admire him? what for? I dont know the man. He's just an actor. I have no reason to think bad things about him, but no reason to think anything at all about him. (which in hollywood is a virtue in and of itself) But more to the point, as an actor, he's average at best.

I seriously wonder if people would think of him differently if he kept doing wise-ass roles like he did early in his career.

Ill agree that its nice that we don't know much about him. He keeps his personal life personal, and doesnt seem to promote himself as special, or anything other than a regular person. To the extent that this says something about him, that's nice. But i can't attribute to him virtues beyond that.

AGREED! I like the fact that Tom Hanks keeps his private life relatively private (perhaps because he's said to be a ladies' man, and the open marriage with Rita might not let him keep the "Mr All-American Nice Guy" title?) I think if he'd continued to take movies like The Money Pit and Bachelor Party, people would have a different impression of him.

I do think Jimmy Stewart was a fine person. He joined the military 8 months before Pearl Habour and flew 20 missions overseas, even though he was one of America's biggest movie stars. I truly admire that... vs. Tom Hanks who is just a movie star.

Well that's nice and all too (re: jimmy stewart's patriotism) but even so we dont "know" these folks on a personal level. And its disingenuous (or just naive) to say we do. Its fair to admire JS's loyalty to his country but that doesnt give us much info about what man he is in day to day life. Dont get me wrong- its clear he's no lindsey lohan! Im not slamming jimmy stewart (or hanks for that matter). Its just I think its wrong to turn celebrities into heros and attribute characteristics to them that from a distance we simply can't confirm. Having said that I will say if the man keeps his family life private that's a nice quality and again, far more admirable than many in the bizzness. But Im not going to say he's a "nice guy" , or honest or anything along those lines. I dont know him from a hole in the wall. I also btw have no reason to think he's a ladies man, that he's in an open marriage, on any such. I merely contend that the "nice guy" is a function of the roles he's been in (and to be fair his personal life has given us no reason to say otherwise) and that he's a hardworking but average actor at best.

Tom Hanks Likes Single Ladies!

TOM Hanks has revealed his favorite song of 2009: Beyonce Knowles‘ Single Ladies!

“Dada-dada ring on it! Dada-dada ring on it!” the actor, 53, said (sung?!) while backstage at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s 25th anniversary concert Thursday.

“That is a damn fine song, the Beyonce song … because it’s infectious,” he added.

Hanks said Single Ladies resonates with him because that’s what he told his wife, actress Rita Wilson, when they first met: “I’m gon’ put a ring on that finger. I’m gon’ take that thing home,” he said.

But Hanks insists a certain rapper isn’t responsible for him “embracing” the record.

“Kanye West has nothing to do with my embracing of that song,” he said.

Source showbizspy.com

Tom Hanks -- Standing By Conan O'Brien

Tom Hanks wants everyone to know he and Conan O'Brien go together like peas and carrots -- by posting a cryptic message on his Twitter account about his upcoming appearance on "The Tonight Show."

Hanks Twittered, "Flag on me with CoCo tonight! Going on Friday's Big Show. What WILL happen? Tune in. Hanx."

And that's all I have to say about that.

Source TMZ

Tom Hanks attacked by conservatives over 'racism' in war remarks while promoting 'The Pacific'

Tom Hanks is under fire, and it's not on the big screen.

The "Saving Private Ryan" star, once praised for his film work by conservatives who felt it honored World War II veterans, is now being struck by verbal salvos over comments he made while promoting his new HBO series, "The Pacific."

"['The Pacific'] represents a war that was of racism and terror," the one-time "Bosom Buddies" star said on MSNBC's "Morning Joe."

And "the only way to complete one of these battles on these small specks of rock in the middle of nowhere was, and I'm sorry, to kill them all."

These comments were similar to ones the 53-year-old made in a Time magazine interview.

"Back in World War II, we viewed the Japanese as 'yellow, slant-eyed dogs' that believed in different gods," he said. "They were out to kill us because our way of living was different. We, in turn, wanted to annihilate them because they were different."

In both interviews, he made the same conclusion:

"Does that sound familiar to what's going on today?" he said on MSNBC, comparing the 60-year-old conflict to the modern war on terror in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Far-right talking heads quickly pounced.

"I think if personalities that have a big megaphone by virtue of their acting talent are going to make political statements, they ought to be careful," Richard Pearle, former secretary of Defense for President Ronald Reagan, told ABCNews.com.

Other retorts were not quite as kind.

"Hanks' comments were sadly infantile pop philosophizing offered by, well, an ignoramus," wrote Victor Davis Hanson of Pajamas Media.

Fox News' Bill O'Reilly went so far as to say that racism had nothing to do with World War II's fight with the Japanese or the current fight against terrorism.

"Why [does] Hanks want to inject racism into two wars, Japan and the war on terror, where racism clearly does not exist," he said on his "Factor" show.

The two-time Oscar-winner has since clarified his remarks, although this will likely not stem the assault by conservatives who feel spurned by the Hollywood heavyweight.

"It would be naive to assume that racism was not part of that quotiant of World War II," Hanks told CNSNews.com.

The actor noted that his remarks about racial bigotry applied to all sides, not just to Americans, and he agreed that the modern wars are far more complex.

"It's not clear cut, and it would be foolish to assume that it is," he said. "What's going on in Iraq is completely singular to Iraq. What is going on in Afghanistan is completely singular to Afghanistan."

But he was quick to point out that while he has an opinion, he doesn't feel his thoughts on the subject should be treated to such examination.

"Look, I'm an actor," Hanks said. "I'm not a politician. I'm not a statistician. I'm not a legislator."

msheridan@nydailynews.com

source: http://www.nydailynews.com

Tom Hanks, Rita Wilson test positive for coronavirus

The actor said in an Instagram post that while in Australia, he and his wife had cold-like symptoms and to be safe were tested.

March 11, 2020, 9:33 PM EDT

Actor Tom Hanks has tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

Hanks, 63, said in an Instagram post on Wednesday that while in Australia, he and wife Rita Wilson came down with symptoms resembling a cold, as well as body aches and slight fevers.

“To play things right, as is needed in the world right now, we were tested for the Coronavirus, and were found to be positive,” Hanks wrote.

Hanks wrote that they “will be tested, observed, and isolated for as long as public health and safety requires.”

“Not much more to it than a one-day-at-a-time approach, no?” Hanks wrote.

Hanks ended the post by saying “We’ll keep the world posted and updated” and the message “Take care of yourselves!”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/tom-hanks-rita-wilson-test-positive-coronavirus-n1156141

Edited by dixiedoodah
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I’m glad he admitted to testing positive. One of my fears is being treated like Typhoid Mary if I or my family gets it. I think we have to normalize it to avoid such reactions in the beginning before testing is widely available and people don’t realize everyone has it. 

• Like 3

It's a virus. Stigma SUCKS and I agree it's great that someone so famous & beloved as Tom Hanks (and his delightfully amazing wife Rita!) are writing about it so pragmatically. We weren't feeling well, we got tested (because we're in Australia and tests are FREE and AVAILABLE) and we're doing what we need to do for public health.

ENTERTAINMENT LAWYER 07/05 **3**
What those newly released texts didn't show is how often the A+ list mostly movie actor cheats on his wife. Now we know why though.

Chet Hanks' Ex-Girlfriend Kiana Parker Releases Shocking Text Messages About Alleged Physical Altercation In New Orleans, Including Wild Claims About Tom Hanks And Rita Wilson

https://radaronline.com/p/chet-hank-ex-girlfriend-kiana-parker-text-messages-exclusive-physical-altercation-new-orleans-hotel-abuse/

kiana-texts-inset-1625336485446.jpg

Eh, grain of salt? Trying to keep my head in the sand - NOT THIS COUPLE.

Also, is she a strong woman? Or is she "domineering"? And what is the difference? Because I have a pretty equal partnership with my husband and sometimes my MIL thinks I have too much power in the relationship.....That's generational, I hope.

Any guy that is going to harass and attempt to control a girl he is dating is going to use whatever excuse he can to justify it - so yes, take this with a grain of salt. 

But I do find the girl's comments about family business interesting.

• Like 2