Sign in to follow this  
princess

PETA

Page SixPAM GIVES FASHION A REAL SKINNINGTHE last place you'd expect to find a PETA party is in the Meatpacking District, but when Pamela Anderson was looking for a space to host tonight's PETA Fashion Week kickoff, she went straight to Stella McCartney's West 14th Street boutique - the only haute couture shop in the city that's entirely free of animal skins. Expected at Pam's party is "Project Runway" school-marm/Parsons School of Design chair Tim Gunn, who launched a landmark PETA program at the school in which students watch Martha Stewart's anti-fur video and learn from designers like Marc Bouwer how to use alternatives to real skins. Others expected include Martha's daughter Alexis Stewart, who wants New York to join other cities that have banned carriage horses from dangerous traffic; the Rev. Al Sharpton, who endorsed PETA's KFC boycott; Moby, for promoting veganism on his worldwide tours (and at Teany, the eatery he once co-owned); Nellie McKay, who spoke out against Columbia University's experiments on primates; and Alan Cumming, who lambasted fur wearers from the stage in "Cabaret."

PETA takes aim at Dick CheneyJ. Scott Applewhite / AP fileVice-President Dick Cheney accidentally shot a hunting companion over the weekend.By Jeannette WallsMSNBCPETA is taking aim at Dick Cheney.The high-profile animal-rights group has sent a letter to the vice-president, who accidentally shot a lawyer while the two men were quail hunting. “I hope that the man you mistook for a quail is doing well. I also hope that this brush with tragedy will convince you to rethink your recreational activities,” PETA president Ingrid Newkirk wrote in a letter to Cheney obtained by The Scoop. She went on to suggest that Cheney “put down your guns and pick up a tennis racket” — which, she adds, would be better for his heart.“Mr. Cheney, there is so much violence in the world that is beyond our control,” Newkirk concluded, “but you can avoid hurting innocent animals (and well-connected lawyers) by putting down your guns and taking up a nonviolent sport.”

Fads are a dime a dozen among red carpet regulars, but there's one Tinseltown trend that won't be fading away any time soon: being vegetarian! More and more stars are taking on a new role—as models for a compassionate, healthy, and Earth-friendly lifestyle.

We couldn't possibly pick our favorite Hollywood hottie with a heart—they're all winners to us—so we need your help to crown the veggie king and queen in PETA's sixth annual World's Sexiest Vegetarian poll.

Among the nearly 200 sizzling celebs vying for this year's titles: V for Vendetta vixen Natalie Portman, desperate housewife Nicollette Sheridan, King Kong damsel Naomi Watts, country crooner Emmylou Harris, ravishing redhead Bryce Dallas Howard, Brokeback Mountain beauty Anne Hathaway, positively charming Alyssa Milano, CSI fox Jorja Fox, Veronica Mars' brainy beauty Kristen Bell, Walk the Line's dashing Johnny Cash Joaquin Phoenix, top NFL running back Ricky Williams, Oceans 12 heartthrob Casey Affleck, actor and 30 Seconds to Mars vocalist Jared Leto, pop superstar Prince, INXS lead singer JD Fortune, and hip hop hottie Common.

These stars' reasons for keeping animals off their plates are as diverse and inspiring as their talents, from avoiding the inexcusable cruelty to animals on factory farms and at slaughterhouses to improving their own health and helping the environment. Previous winners include Carrie Underwood, Chris Martin, Andre 3000, Tobey Maguire, Josh Hartnett, Alicia Silverstone, Lauren Bush, Natalie Portman, and Shania Twain.

Cast your vote today for the World's Sexiest Vegetarians, and stay tuned for the winners!

http://www.goveg.com/feat/sexiestveg2006/

The Prince and the Princess of PETAPop star Prince and Veronica Mars herself, Kristen Bell, have been named the World’s Sexiest Vegetarians in a PETA poll. Prince included a quote from Mahatma Gandhi in the liner notes of his most recent album: “2 my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being.” (The numeral is Prince’s own, we presume.) Bell, our Hottest Girl We’d Go Straight For in our June Hot issue (on stands now!), said in a statement, “I had a hard time disassociating the animals I cuddled with—dogs and cats, for example—from the animals on my plate, and I never really cared for the taste of meat. I always loved my brussels sprouts!” Runners-up included Desperate Housewife Nicollette Sheridan, recent Oscar nominee Joaquin Phoenix, Pink, and two out icons: Boy George and Ian McKellen. We just hope none of these honorable people end up at the Web site for another PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals.

When I go to another award or premiere, I going to eat a nice juicy hambuger in front of Pam Anderson and all her Peta people. Then I'm a going to eat a juicy close to raw steak.

Edited by nsmallaz

I guess I don't understand why these people have to release RATS and stuff when there are REAL issues facing this world. Pam boycotting Kentucky Fried Chicken because they are not nice enough to CHICKENS makes me laugh every time I hear it. I think maybe she should boycott the restaurant because many hundreds of moons ago, I used to work at Kentucky Fried Chicken and we used to throw those chicken around like frisbees. :)

Edited by mf'smom

Often, PETA's actions don't leave public opinion swaying in PETA's favor. But for some people, the treatment of animals is a "real" issue for them and I don't judge them on that. There are enough people and enough problems in the world that everyone can be passionate about something - poverty, better education, peace, great designer clothing at bargain prices... ok, maybe not so much on that last one, but you get the idea. :)

Often, PETA's actions don't leave public opinion swaying in PETA's favor. But for some people, the treatment of animals is a "real" issue for them and I don't judge them on that. There are enough people and enough problems in the world that everyone can be passionate about something - poverty, better education, peace, great designer clothing at bargain prices... ok, maybe not so much on that last one, but you get the idea. :)

Every time someone tells me that they are "for animal rights" I look to see if they are wearing any leather. And, almost always, they are (shoes and purses are a dead giveaway). I guess cows don't count, huh? :)

I think people should boycott KFC because they are clearly trying to kill everyone in the world. Have you people seen the "new snacker"? It's a layer of mashed potatoes, a layer of sweet corn, a layer of FRIED CHICKEN TENDERS, topped with GRAVY and CHEESE!Like America isn't fat enough as it is, they need this heart-attack inducing calorie fest being advertised like crazy. When I first saw the commercial, I thought they were making a joke about it or something...but nope. Very...wow.

Every time someone tells me that they are "for animal rights" I look to see if they are wearing any leather. And, almost always, they are (shoes and purses are a dead giveaway). I guess cows don't count, huh? :)

dude, I love you even more than ever mf'smom. I do the same thing. :unsure: But only sometimes do I call them on it (usually only if they're being especially virulent about being anti-fur).I do have some very committed friends who wear neither fur nor leather, and good for them. But occasionally when I meet the very judgmental anti-fur person who is sporting leather boots and/or jacket, I have to say something. ;)

Every time someone tells me that they are "for animal rights" I look to see if they are wearing any leather.  And, almost always, they are (shoes and purses are a dead giveaway).  I guess cows don't count, huh? :)

dude, I love you even more than ever mf'smom. I do the same thing. :unsure: But only sometimes do I call them on it (usually only if they're being especially virulent about being anti-fur).I do have some very committed friends who wear neither fur nor leather, and good for them. But occasionally when I meet the very judgmental anti-fur person who is sporting leather boots and/or jacket, I have to say something. ;)
I feel that later on down the line, I could be come a vegetarian because it's just a healthier way to go. I mean, meat provides sustenance, sure...but you can get that through various alternatives.Now, if I was to become a gung-ho animal rights activist, the one thing I would NOT do is join PETA. Nothing hurts your cause more than being these ridiculously, overbearing, judgmental assholes who parade around and pretend that they're holier than thou. They just really, really annoy me.As for the fur thing, you know, there are bigger fish to fry (no pun intended) in the animal rights movement than to worry if some 40-something Star Jones look-a-like decides to put on a dead fox. Half the time, fur coats don't even look nice...so to me, it's just a fashion faux-pas.Sorry for the rant. But when J. Lo stood up to PETA, I cheered for her...for the first time ever.

Sorry for the rant. But when J. Lo stood up to PETA, I cheered for her...for the first time ever.

I mean I think this is it, isn't it. The more an organisation becomes more powerful (no matter how well meaning - in theory) the more people feel bullied by them.

Every time someone tells me that they are "for animal rights" I look to see if they are wearing any leather. And, almost always, they are (shoes and purses are a dead giveaway). I guess cows don't count, huh?

So, you're saying when I bump into you on the streeet and begin talking about animal rights I should leave my baby seal fur coat and mink ear muffs at home??? :D Once I was in traffic behind a car plastered with a bunch of Earth First! bumper stickers (they're a rather radical group that do PETA-equivalent stunts to stop logging, etc. ) and saw the driver toss out a cigarette butt on the street. Some animal rights people are hypocritical like that too and it seems like they're less about animal rights and more about power-tripping and putting other people down.

Sorry for the rant. But when J. Lo stood up to PETA, I cheered for her...for the first time ever.

I mean I think this is it, isn't it. The more an organisation becomes more powerful (no matter how well meaning - in theory) the more people feel bullied by them.
I liked that about JLO too. One of the reasons I love Anna Wintour is because she so adamantly ignores PETA. They throw tofu pies in her face (twice), and she just keeps coming back with a new, more incredible fur coat on!

I think fur is tacky on anyone under the age of 75 who's not an Eskimo. But militant extremists are tacky at any age. I fully support animal rights, but I don't think you have to be at one end of the spectrum or the other to have a valid opinion. We use animals for food or clothing, but we should do so as humanely as possible. I don't think that opinion is necessarily inconsistent with eating the occasional cheeseburger. Some people do find that inconsistent, but they should refrain from walking up to me as I'm taking my first sip of my glorious morning latte and saying "milk is pus!" or they are going to be sporting bright red Starbucks burns on their asses.[slinking away in shame realizing that my boyfriend and I both got wide-eyed and said YUM! at the KFC commercial Babloo is describing....]

I'm not that crazy about fur either, but I think people have a right to wear it...within reason. Wearing an endangered animal is just pathetic, but to wear a fur of something that is raised for fur is no different than eating chicken or beef or fish.People that throw blood/paint on people wearing fur are just diminshing their own cause. They look mean and radical and lose rather than gain advocates. Bob Barker has been one of the most strident animal activists there is and almost noboby knows it, except for the blip he says at the end of his show...something about spaying dogs and cats. He ALWAYS wears plastic shoes and belts and will not wear leather. He's kind of a cool old dude. I wear leather and am not a vegetarian, but would prefer to eat salad than beef any day, but will never turn down a barbecued hamburger!

I love my leather coat...I love my burgers(mostly Turkey) I will get beef once in a while. And I have lived in places where fur coats are a necessity...can't even think of living in Europe during the winter time without one. But P-Diddle and runway models not the place for fur...IMHO. And I'm sorry if I offend anyone, I don't really care if KFC Chickens are being boiled alive or mistreated(I care about the loss of human life and the mistreatment of humans). These animals are being breeded for food...so they all wind up in a "better" place anyways.....my belly! :D

I care about the loss of human life and the mistreatment of humans too. Unfortunately such things are endemic in this nation's beef industry. Food for thought, as it were. Not that it stops me from eating burgers, dammit. Or big juicy steaks. Or yummy beef stir fry. I'm evil. I could eat a nice big juicy burger while reading Fast Food Nation.Furthermore, wanton cruelty to animals and disregard for the value of animal life has been shown to lead to the disregard for human life. See, e.g., most serial killers. I think as a society we are kind of sociopathic in the same way. The more we can rationalize one kind of cruelty to a "lower life form," the more we start to rationalize lesser but still significant degradations to humans we for whatever reason view as less entitled to basic rights, whether they be terror suspects, "enemy combatants," criminal defendants, the homeless, or just people who are so desperate for work that they will do anything.

Edited by bittermuch?

I care about the loss of human life and the mistreatment of humans too. Unfortunately such things are endemic in this nation's beef industry. Food for thought, as it were. Not that it stops me from eating burgers, dammit. Or big juicy steaks. Or yummy beef stir fry. I'm evil. I could eat a nice big juicy burger while reading Fast Food Nation.Furthermore, wanton cruelty to animals and disregard for the value of animal life has been shown to lead to the disregard for human life. See, e.g., most serial killers. I think as a society we are kind of sociopathic in the same way. The more we can rationalize one kind of cruelty to a "lower life form," the more we start to rationalize lesser but still significant degradations to humans we for whatever reason view as less entitled to basic rights, whether they be terror suspects, "enemy combatants," criminal defendants, the homeless, or just people who are so desperate for work that they will do anything.

Wow, bitter. Couldn't have said it better myself. I really hate animal cruelty...in any form. Whether the animal is bred for us to eat doesn't mean it doesn't have the same need to be killed in the most humane fashion before we chomp on it.I never order lobster at a restaurant simply because they're boiled alive and that freaks me the hell out. But I'm not going to think any differently of you if you order it. That's the problem with PETA and other "liberal" groups. They're just as judgmental as right-wing conservative groups and end up hurting our cause moreso than helping it anyway. They energize more people to vote against us than drumming up our base.

On our side of the Atlantic (in the UK) we have ALF - the Animal Liberation Front - and they are majorly militant. They think nothing of leaving nasty little timed bombs under cars (not so much these days but there were some incidents in the early nineties) and recently animal rights extremists in the UK have been in the press for digging up an 85 yr old woman's body from her family plot and basically holding it to ransom simply because the family bred guinea pigs for animal research. They arrested several people last week over it but the body has never been returned intact. There's just no words for people like this who have crossed the line from reality into fantasy crusading. Personally, fur is not for me and I much prefer to see it on animals. I eat meat but would hope the animals are killed quickly and humanely as well. I am against any sort of animal cruelty but you have to see that people are important too. There's got to be a fair balance. We're all animals after all.And yes, I like Anna Wintour, for the fact that she will not be bullied by these people. I wish she wouldn't wear fur and set a bad example, but the more these people hound her and physically attack her the more I say good for her for standing up for herself. And it's ironic because I don't even like to see her wearing fur. But I just see one lone woman being set on by a group. Those extremists turn people against them with their methods. If they'd protest peacefully then maybe people would have more time and respect for what they're trying to say.

Edited by GimmeSumSugar

On our side of the Atlantic (in the UK) we have ALF - the Animal Liberation Front - and they are majorly militant. They think nothing of leaving nasty little timed bombs under cars (not so much these days but there were some incidents in the early nineties) and recently animal rights extremists in the UK have been in the press for digging up an 85 yr old woman's body from her family plot and basically holding it to ransom simply because the family bred guinea pigs for animal research. They arrested several people last week over it but the body has never been returned intact. There's just no words for people like this who have crossed the line from reality into fantasy crusading. Personally, fur is not for me and I much prefer to see it on animals. I eat meat but would hope the animals are killed quickly and humanely as well. I am against any sort of animal cruelty but you have to see that people are important too. There's got to be a fair balance. We're all animals after all.And yes, I like Anna Wintour, for the fact that she will not be bullied by these people. I wish she wouldn't wear fur and set a bad example, but the more these people hound her and physically attack her the more I say good for her for standing up for herself. And it's ironic because I don't even like to see her wearing fur. But I just see one lone woman being set on by a group. Those extremists turn people against them with their methods. If they'd protest peacefully then maybe people would have more time and respect for what they're trying to say.

Most excellent. So is Bitter's and Bobby's for that matter. I think this group has it exactly right. Nobody wants anybody to kill an animal inhumanely, but we're carnivores after all, and do eat meat. Any cause, from PETA to the HORRID Lambs of Christ to ALF to Scientology that use radical and over the top tactics loses any support from me. I think everyone has a right to believe what they want. I also think they should respect my beliefs. Nobody is going to change mine by throwing a pie at me or shooting a doctor or locking me in a room with a couple of soup cans and an auditor.

Isn't it funny that Heather Mills is a card carrying member of PETA?I think PETA took what was originally a genius idea, and turned into the monstrosity that we see today. I personally see nothing wrong with liberating animals from laboratories and cruel animal-testing facilities, but this spiraled out of control.Here's one example that made me want them to go away:The director of Chicken Run (that great movie about chickens escaping a farm) said the film was just a movie and that they strongly encourage the eating of chickens. Or something of that matter. So PETA held some kind of a boycott which obviously didn't work. They were clearly hoping that people would be more affected the way the people involved in Babe were. It's just so frustrating to listen to them. When J. Lo said that she loved to eat at KFC and a PETA member responded with: "Has this woman no humane bone in her body?" I laughed and laughed and laughed.Serves them right. Assholes.