Sign in to follow this  
leaivory

America Ferrera

Golden Globes Well-Played: America Ferrera

There are many things I like about America Ferrera. For one thing, I think she's adorable on Ugly Betty, in a role that could too easily be cloying, or sad-sack-y. I loved her in The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, not that I saw that, or cried at it. And I love that she's probably the only actress her age in Hollywood currently sporting her own hair, breasts and teeth.

I also love her in this dress:

Posted Image

The color and the cut are both really good on her: they flatter her skin tone and her body without being boring. She looks tall and curvy. Which, by the way, I don't mean as a Euphemism For Fat. I hate the fact that "curvy" now means, in Secret Hollywood Patois, "tubby." For example, according to Star Magazine, Jessica Alba recently said to a journalist, "I know I'm curvy. I'm working on it." Fast-forward to Jessica Alba dropping ten pounds she didn't need to drop. CURVY IS GOOD, PEOPLE. Curvy is sexy and feminine, not Marlon-Brando-In-A- MuuMuu-Fat. Women -- all women: naturally very thin women, naturally not so thin women, flat-chested women, big-breasted women, ALL WOMEN -- have, as we learned from America's debut film, some curves of some size somewhere on their body. IT'S OKAY.

I was thinking about this yesterday (in between trying to figure out what our government should do about Darfur and meditating on the existence of God in the 21st century, obviously), and I came to the conclusion that I seriously think America is so freaking cute and fresh-faced, and her body looks GREAT here, and therefore, I really hate the idea that at some point, she is going to drop twenty pounds and start Mystic-Tanning the shit out of herself, just because someone told her she had to do that to be considered for more mainstream roles. Because you KNOW someone is going to do that. Because, as you may have noticed, as a rule, certain people in Hollywood tend to have their heads up their asses regarding the subject of How All Women Are Supposed To Look In Order To Be Considered Sexy. When, really, America shouldn't do a thing: as Mark Darcy said to Bridget Jones, we like her very much. Just as she is.

Which, for the record, is adorable in a perfectly-tailored purpley/navy number.

Go Fug Yourself

ALL WOMEN -- have, as we learned from America's debut film, some curves of some size somewhere on their body. IT'S OKAY.

Better than okay - curves are AWESOME and beautiful and luscious and scrumptious! :wacko:

Golden Globes Well-Played: America Ferrera

I came to the conclusion that I seriously think America is so freaking cute and fresh-faced, and her body looks GREAT here, and therefore, I really hate the idea that at some point, she is going to drop twenty pounds and start Mystic-Tanning the shit out of herself, just because someone told her she had to do that to be considered for more mainstream roles.

Go Fug Yourself

awww man..... i hope not.. i was seriously thinking the same exact thing... that once her celebrity grows i hope she is one of the few to remain true to herself.... oh i hope so :D

and to be honest she seemed like the only honest sincere person to have recieved that golden globe... like she truly appreciated it as opposed to the others...

and to be honest she seemed like the only honest sincere person to have recieved that golden globe... like she truly appreciated it as opposed to the others...

I think Jennifer Hudson appreciated it as well...of course, it's the relative newcomers!

By the way, I LOVE America Ferrera!!!

America just shined in that awkward moment when Maria Menounos ignored America standing alongside her while she did her standup. And when Maria made that dumb ass comment about "people who didn't want you to play Ugly Betty" America's sweet and unassuming reply just highlighted what so many people already knew: MM is an incompetent moron.

America just shined in that awkward moment when Maria Menounos ignored America standing alongside her while she did her standup. And when Maria made that dumb ass comment about "people who didn't want you to play Ugly Betty" America's sweet and unassuming reply just highlighted what so many people already knew: MM is an incompetent moron.

i missed that.....what happened...

I think Jennifer Hudson appreciated it as well...of course, it's the relative newcomers!

By the way, I LOVE America Ferrera!!!

sorry... i overlooked her...... but ya those two seemed the most appreciative

'Betty' Gets Her Gunn

'Project Runway' mentor guests on ABC series

January 16, 2007

"Project Runway's" Tim Gunn will put his fashion savvy to good, satirical use during February sweeps on "Ugly Betty."

The fashion-design show's father figure will appear in two "Betty" episodes, scheduled to air Feb. 1 and 8. He'll be playing a Fashion TV reporter who covers a controversy that erupts during the Mode fashion week runway show, which takes place during the Feb. 1 installment.

That episode will also feature last year's "American Idol" runner-up, Katharine McPhee, as one of the runway show's celebrity guests.

Gunn, who heads the department of fashion design at New York's Parsons The New School for Design, has become a fan favorite over three seasons of "Project Runway" on Bravo. He acts as a mentor and taskmaster for the contestants and, via a blog on the show's web site, also acts as a conduit to fans.

Recognizing his appeal, Bravo announced last week that it's giving Gunn his own show. "Tim Gunn's Guide to Style" will help the fashion-challenged solve their style dilemmas. There's no word yet on a premiere date.

Ugly Betty's America Ferrera Saluted in Congress

THURSDAY JANUARY 18, 2007 08:35 AM EST

By Tim Nudd

Ugly Betty star America Ferrera was already honored at the Golden Globes, and now she's been lauded in Congress.

Congresswoman Hilda L. Solis (D-Calif.) took to the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives on Wednesday to publicly salute Ferrera, 22, for her Globe win and for raising the profile of Latinos in popular culture.

"Madame Speaker, I rise today to congratulate America Ferrera for winning the Golden Globe for best actress in a comedy for her work in the ABC show Ugly Betty," Solis said.

"Through her work, Ms. Ferrera is breaking down barriers for Latinos in prime-time television. ... I commend America and everyone involved in Ugly Betty for helping to break down stereotypes and provide a role model for young Latinas."

Ferrera, the daughter of Honduran immigrants, told USA Today in November of her ABC hit, "What I think is successful is, it's not about stereotypes. They're not hitting piñatas every weekend. More important than having Latinos on TV is having a representation of the variations of what a Latino is."

Solis is serving her third term in the House. She represents California's 32nd Congressional District.

Campbell To Guest Star on 'Ugly Betty'

Hit show Ugly Betty will soon welcome a real life supermodel on the award winning series - Naomi Campbell will star on the small screen playing a "loony" fashionista. The fiery beauty, who recently pleaded guilty to assaulting her housekeeper with her mobile phone, will make her TV acting debut on the fashion magazine-based show later this year. She says of her role: "On Ugly Betty I'll play a loony who loves to shop and can't find a man. I like that sort of role." The show picked up two Golden Globes last Monday - Best Television Series (Musical/Drama) and Best Performance by an Actress In A Television Series (Musical/Comedy) for America Ferrera.

I love this show and thanks to America for showing a real (albeit young) womans body and what a normal body looks like which is not a drug induced too skinny thin armed body, mostly accompanied with some kind of underage drinking and or drugs going on somewhere close by, I could go on and on. The other Hollywood starlets should take notice, regular people do not like the images, although the magazines do, and a little maturity goes a long way. On another note, has anyone noticed that just about on every single television show, the women are too pretty, too skinny, too botoxed, too clothes savvy etc., they are all starting to look the same! It's getting borrrrrrringggggg!

Campbell To Guest Star on 'Ugly Betty'

Hit show Ugly Betty will soon welcome a real life supermodel on the award winning series - Naomi Campbell will star on the small screen playing a "loony" fashionista. The fiery beauty, who recently pleaded guilty to assaulting her housekeeper with her mobile phone, will make her TV acting debut on the fashion magazine-based show later this year. She says of her role: "On Ugly Betty I'll play a loony who loves to shop and can't find a man. I like that sort of role." The show picked up two Golden Globes last Monday - Best Television Series (Musical/Drama) and Best Performance by an Actress In A Television Series (Musical/Comedy) for America Ferrera.

So she gets to play herself and be PAID for it? We should all be so lucky... :rolleyes:

13th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards® Recipients

Female Actor in a Comedy Series

America Ferrera / UGLY BETTY – Betty Suarez - ABC

12th Annual SAG Awards™ Acceptance Speeches:

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series

America Ferrera / UGLY BETTY – Betty Suarez ABC

AMERICA FERRERA: I am completely out of things to say. I don’t have anything to say anymore. I think that what’s so special about being in this room is that I look out and I see faces that have inspired me, and moved me, my entire life, since I was just a wee little one. And being here, honored by these faces, is more than I can express.

And I think what’s amazing is that we share a common knowledge of struggle and of rejection, and now of success. And that I think only your fellow peers know how sweet the taste it is, because you know the other side of it.

And it’s really an incredible knowledge. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Have a wonderful night. [applause]

America Talks About Her Rough Beginnings

In keeping with my love affair with America Ferrera, the adorable star of "Ugly Betty," I'm going to be raving about her throughout the rest of this post. I'm just giving you fair warning.

An article in the esteemed publication, the National Enquirer, revealed that Ferrera's childhood was a volatile one. America said that she would shut out the sounds of her parents fighting by "acting out plays in my head" as a means of escape. After her parents divorced, America and her five siblings were the sole charge of their single mother. At the tender age of eight, America ventured into the world of acting in school plays and community theater.

But it wasn't just her family life that was a struggle. America's self-image was a sore spot for the young actress growing up.

"I'd look in the mirror and cry, thinking I was too fat," she admitted. "But today I feel beautiful and far from the ugly duckling I appear to be on screen."

Well, girl, don't feel too bad. We all know that under those hideous sweater-vests and monster braces, there is some very enormous cleavage. And really, isnt' that what really counts?

From imdb.com today...

'Ugly Betty' Star Surprised by Engagement Reports

Ugly Betty star America Ferrera is still coming to terms with the fact her love life has become tabloid material after taking calls from angry family members after they heard she'd become engaged. The actress was stunned when reports circulated earlier this year that her longtime boyfriend Ryan Piers Williams had proposed and then spent days reassuring her family and friends the rumors weren't true. She tells America's W magazine, "His mom called me and my sisters were calling me, and I was like, 'Are you kidding? Did you not think I would tell you first?' Then I put out a statement that it wasn't true, and that became a whole news story. So now it's news when something doesn't happen?"

'Ugly's' Ferrera: I like who I am

NEW YORK (AP) -- She may drop a few pounds here and there, but "Ugly Betty" star America Ferrera says she'll never become a Hollywood waif.

"There are times when I go to the gym and really try, and there are times when I just don't," the actress, who turns 23 on Wednesday, tells W magazine in its May issue. "I gain a pound; I lose a pound. But I think I've developed a really good sense of when I'm doing something for myself as opposed to when I'm doing something because of other people's expectations of me."

"And honestly, even if I wanted to be anorexic, I just don't have what it takes," she continues. "After four hours of being anorexic, I'd be like, 'It's been four whole hours! Feed me!' "

Ferrera is on the rise: She won Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild awards this year for her role as awkward assistant Betty Suarez on "Ugly Betty," and has appeared on a host of magazine covers.

Salma Hayek, an executive producer of the ABC comedy, charmed Ferrara into accepting the part.

"Honestly I never saw myself doing TV, but Salma was so convincing," says Ferrera, who's starred in the movies "Real Women Have Curves" and "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants."

"Salma is the kind of person who could sell you, like, a used stereo. She promised me that it would be done in the right way, and I just trusted her."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

"And honestly, even if I wanted to be anorexic, I just don't have what it takes," she continues. "After four hours of being anorexic, I'd be like, 'It's been four whole hours! Feed me!' "

I can so relate to that. :D

I can so relate to that. :D

Wow. Before I came to this board, I never knew that I was a ButtaWallet Ho or closet anorexic. :ph34r:

I love you guys. :wub:

Jumping on the bandwagon! I always told my mom she'd never have to worry about me being anorexic or injecting drugs (I can't stand needles)!

Yeah, I hate needles as well...but..."herbs" that's a whole different story told over a case of Dorito's or Funnyuns....and a whole crapload of breath mints. ;)

:wub: Back at ya, Ty.

Time Magazine's 100 Most Influential People 2007 Gala

Filed under: America Ferrara , Cate Blanchett , Events , John Mayer , Martha Stewart , Michael J. Fox , Red Carpet

Posted Image

Michael J. Fox has a special place in my heart. As I'm sure you know he suffers from Parkinsons, and my father does as well. So with Fox's role as a tireless fundraiser and champion for finding a cure for Parkinson's, Michael is listed in the category of heroes and pioneers. Well done.

It's been quite a week for New York, which kicked off a pair of a glitzy events with Monday night's Costume Institute Gala. And the big names continued to roll in the following evening as Time magazine hosted its annual 100 Most Influential People party. The eclectic collection of names on the list was reflected in the roll call of guests, who included Michael J Fox, Oscar-winning actress Cate Blanchett, business mogul Richard Branson and presidential candidate Senator John Edwards.

Newcomer America Ferrara joined invitees after making it onto the list for the first time following her swift ascent to fame on hit TV series Ugly Betty. She shared the red carpet by another rising star, Grammy-winning singer-songwriter John Mayer, who's currently stepping out with Jessica Simpson.

Also putting in an appearance was Lauren Bush - despite the fact her uncle, President George W Bush, was left off the list for the first time in four years.

I'm thinking it wasn't just a typo.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted by: Jessica Marx

http://socialitelife.com/2007/05/09/time_m...e_2007_gala.php