princess

Joan and Melissa Rivers

joan-rivers.jpg
Letting Go

Note: This is a Blind Gossip EXCLUSIVE. In keeping with our Terms of Service, media outlets and social media users are asked to properly CREDIT and LINK to BlindGossip.com. Thank you in advance for your professionalism.

SOLVED

[Blind Gossip] When a person is in trouble, sometimes their family members can only do so much. In the case of this entertainment legend, their family has made the very difficult decision to let them go. This will happen on Thursday.

SOLVED

Joan Rivers will be taken off of life support today, Thursday, September 4th, 2014.

Joan Rivers stopped breathing during minor throat surgery on her vocal chords at a New York City medical facility last Thursday. She was admitted to Mount Sinai Hospital, where it was determined that she had suffered cardiac arrest and a subsequent stroke. Melissa Rivers, her daughter, immediately flew to New York to be by her bedside. Joan spent nearly a week in the Intensive Care Unit. After physicians informed Melissa that her mother was unlikely to recover, she took several days before making the difficult decision to remove Joan from life support.

As there are many people who are close to the comedienne, Melissa thoughtfully wanted to give them chance to say goodbye. She had Joan moved to a private room to receive palliative care and to receive visitors.

On Tuesday and Wednesday, family members, friends, and work colleagues – including the president of E! – came to say their goodbyes in person. Some sat with Joan and held her hand. While many were somber and crying, others found comfort in sharing light-hearted anecdotes about their time with her, which Melissa really seemed to appreciate. All have been providing support and comfort to Melissa and her son Cooper, who have held up extraordinarily well under these sad circumstances.

All life support systems will be turned off today. Joan Rivers is not expected to survive.

Joan Rivers is a comedy legend who forged the way for many female comics. We have always admired and appreciated her. We will let the other media outlets cover the autobiographical aspects of her career. We will simply extend our deepest sympathies to Melissa, Cooper, and all those who loved her.

So sad if this is true. She has always been a great feminist role model. First female comic that was invited to sit down with Johnny Carson, it shocked a lot of people at the time. If male comics can be rude and shocking, then so can female comics. She broke the mold and paved the way for a lot of women. I've heard Kathy Griffin talk about what Joan has done for female comics and women in general from time to time, always very heartfelt.

• Like 2

From Melissa's statement

It is with great sadness that I announce the death of my mother, Joan Rivers. She passed peacefully at 1:17pm surrounded by family and close friends. My son and I would like to thank the doctors, nurses, and staff of Mount Sinai Hospital for the amazing care they provided by mother.

Cooper and I have found ourselves humbled by the outpouring of love, support, and prayers we have received from around the world. They have been heard and appreciated.

My mother's greatest joy in life was to make people laugh. Although that is difficult to do right now, I know her final wish would be that we return to laughing soon.

This is a very sad thing, but I love to see all the video clips that people are uploading. Silver lining.....

Edited by Hoyaheel

Raw Dog on Sirius xm has been playing her clips, interviews, and other comedians calling in and talking about her. Very nice commute home, listening to the homage!

• Like 1

TMZ

Joan Rivers suffered from heart arrhythmia and worried that her heart might stop beating on stage or during surgery.

Joan spoke about the condition -- which causes sudden irregularities in the heart beat -- during an interview with Joan Lunden on Good Morning America back in 1985.

Joan said, "It scares the hell out of you. And when you go under, say for plastic surgeries and things like that ... that's when your heart can go out of kilter."

It's still unknown if Rivers was under general anesthesia when she went into cardiac and respiratory arrest during a vocal cord procedure 9 days ago.

Saw her last weekend, she was great!! Very funny - talks SUPER fast so you're laughing and trying to listen to her at the same time. Would see her again. We left the theater and walking towards our car when we saw her limo and about 20 people hanging out by the back door. My sister and I hung out for a bit and got to see her exit. She is tiny, prob not even 5 feet tall, you can tell she's had work done but it looks like GOOD work when you see her in person. :shocked: She was very cute with the fans after, posed with a few people, when someone missed their shot she waited for them to take it again but she was in the car within 5 mins. If I wasn't a fan before, I am now :D

So glad I got to see her when I did.

• Like 1

Joan Rivers and Prince Charles: Inside Their Unlikely Friendship

BY SIMON PERRY

09/06/2014 AT 05:00 PM EDT

When Prince Charles called Joan Rivers "utterly irreplaceable" on Friday, he was paying tribute not only to a groundbreaking comedian but also his friend.

Like millions around the world, Charles, 65, and his wife, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, expressed sadness about her death on Thursday. For Charles, who since his youth has been a fan of zany humor, Rivers was one of those often-edgy performers who put a smile on his face, regularly joining him at fundraisers or for events at his country home.

She was a guest at his wedding to Camilla in 2005, and when he turned 60 three years later, she was a performer at a birthday gala (called We Are Most Amused) that raised money for his Prince's Trust charity.

Charles said in a statement Friday that the comedian, who was rushed to the hospital on Aug. 28 after she stopped breathing during an outpatient procedure, "was an extraordinary woman with an original and indefatigable spirit, an unstoppable sense of humor and an enormous zest for life. She will be hugely missed and utterly irreplaceable."
I had no idea they even know each other!

NEWS/ Melissa Rivers Set to Join Fashion Police Co-Hosts to Celebrate and Pay Tribute to Joan Rivers in On-Air Special

by KAMALA KIRK

In honor of the iconic Joan Rivers, E! and her Fashion Police family will be paying tribute to the late comedienne by celebrating "Joan Day" with special programming on Friday, September 19th.

The all-day marathon will showcase Joan's best Fashion Police jokes and will feature back-to-back episodes of the show, including her 80th birthday celebration and the lastFashion Police episode she appeared in.

Joan's daughter Melissa Rivers will join Kelly Osbourne, Giuliana Rancic and George Kotsiopoulos to remember the late comedienne in a touching 90-minute celebration as Joan's Fashion Police family reflects back on her incredible years on the show and all of the hearts that she touched along the way.

PHOTOS: Celebs remember Joan Rivers

rs_560x415-140904143717-1024-2fashion-poE!

Melissa and the rest of Joan's Fashion Police co-hosts will also share personal stories to celebrate her amazing gift of laughter and joy that she spread everywhere.

The TV special will include never-before-aired moments, behind-the-scenes footage, and hilarious outtakes, including clips featuring many of the late legend's most memorable celebrity guests.

Tune-in this Friday, September 19th for an all-day Fashion Police marathon from 7am-7pm ET/PT, followed by the 90-minute Fashion Police: Celebrating Joanspecial at 8/7c on E!

Joan Rivers Personal Doc During Fatal Procedure ENT to the Stars 9/17/2014 11:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

EXCLUSIVE

0917-dr-gwen-korovin-tmz-facebook-sub-3.

Joan Rivers' personal doctor who was working on Joan when she stopped breathing is Dr. Gwen Korovin, who treats the biggest celebs in the world ... multiple sources tell TMZ.

We're told Dr. Korovin was not authorized to practice medicine at Yorkville Endoscopy center. CNN has reported Joan's personal physician took a selfie while performing a biopsy on the comedienne.

Dr. Korovin's patient list reads like a celeb who's who. Her patients include Celine Dion, Lady Gaga, Hugh Jackman, John Mayer, and Brooke Shields.

Dr. Korovin's Facebook page has a pic of the doc in her office with pics of her celeb patients lining the walls.

0917-dr-gwen-korovin-facebook-3.jpg

The doctor has done interviews in which she says she brings a black bag to the dressing rooms of A-list stars and administers "on-the-spot treatment."

We reached out to Doctor Korovin's office and were told, "We do not comment on matters related to patients."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz3DbdTHlQz

I've already got my TiVo set to record the special, as well as several reruns they are doing that day. You know E!, they'll rerun the special for the next few months. Hope you are having fun in China, first big international trip I took was there when I was about 13. An eye opener for sure.

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork)

Melissa Rivers To Sue Doctor Who Performed Unauthorized Biopsy On Mother, Joan Rivers
October 3, 2014 2:40 PM

Joan Rivers, 81, went into cardiac arrest at Yorkville Endoscopy Aug. 28 following a minor, elective vocal cord procedure.

She died a week later at Mount Sinai Hospital surrounded by family and close friends. The clinic is under investigation by the state’s health department, and its medical director, Dr. Lawrence Cohen, is no longer performing procedures at Yorkville Endoscopy.

According to reports, Joan’s own personal doctor performed an unplanned biopsy after another doctor at Yorkville Endoscopy noticed something on Rivers’ vocal cords.

The comedian’s vocal cords seized, a condition called laryngospasm, and cut off her air supply, according to reports.

Rivers’ personal doctor also snapped a selfie with her while she was under anesthesia before performing the unauthorized biopsy, a source told CNN.

Stars, family and friends attended Rivers’ Upper East Side funeral Sept. 7 at Temple Emanu-El.

Howard Stern delivered the eulogy, Broadway singer-actress Audra McDonald sang “Smile” and bagpipers played “New York, New York.”

The lights on the Great White Way were dimmed for Rivers two days later.