925 replies to this topic

#21 MMM1

MMM1

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 01:41 PM

Welcome Meg. I saw that Jane Austen book at the bookstore..it was tempting me..too bad it wasn't better.Just finished "Shopgirl" by Steve Martin. Another book that I wanted to read before the movie comes out (movie stars Claire Danes,Steve Martin & Jonathon Swartzman (sp)). Surprisingly well written..but I found it quite dark. I'm curious if the film version will come out as a "lighter" piece. I read that it had undergone several rewrites (usually not a good sign) but Martin said he was pleased with the end product. If they follow the book, it should be a good performance piece for Danes but that remains to be seen.

#22 meg5117

meg5117

Chit Chatter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 08:24 AM

I'll have ot check it out at the library. Thanks!

Incidentally, speaking of books into movies -- was anyone else grossly disappointed by the movie version of Girl With A Pearl Earring ? I :wub: the book, and found the movie insipid. They left out all of the best parts, even great visual parts like the way Griet arranged her vegetables.

Any thoughts?

#23 hazelnut

hazelnut

Chatter Box

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 09:53 AM

Meg - I just finished Girl With a Pearl Earring during lunch today and was thinking of renting the movie soon. If it's that bad, I don't want to see it and ruin the imagery from the book. Thanks for the warning!MMM - I've seen Steve Martin books at the library but never picked one up. I'll have to look for that one too.

#24 MMM1

MMM1

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 02:55 PM

"Shopgirl" is a very short novella..can be read in a couple of hours (luckily I got it in a book lot off ebay so it didn't cost me hardly anything)...getting it from the library would be a good way to go :)I was also disappointed with the movie for GWPE (even with Firth :P in the cast)...thought the book was great..really enjoy Chevalier's writing.

#25 desperatelyseekingthetruth

desperatelyseekingthetruth

ChitChat FANatic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 04:00 PM

Just finished Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold. The first 57 pages are heart-wrenching. My best read for 2005.
My body is so important to me... my face, my arms, my legs, my hands, my eyes, everything. I use everything I have.
Monica Bellucci

#26 meg5117

meg5117

Chit Chatter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:01 AM

MMM1 -- I really liked Shopgirl. The pubic hair shaving scene really creeped me out. He can be really vulgar & lovely at the same time. Odd, reallyI loved The Lovely Bones. It had me enthralled. completely.Does anyone read Diana Gabaldon? Her next is out on September 27!

#27 MMM1

MMM1

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 05:20 PM

Yes, SG did have some risque moments where you think "Steve Martin wrote this?"...then I keep thinking about the movie and him and Claire Danes having a serious romance. I guess he'll always be the "wild and crazy guy" from SNL.Right now I'm reading "the Matzo ball heiress"..a red dress ink chick lit book.Doesn't Gabaldon write sci fi/fantasy?? I've never read her..how are her books..are they real long??

#28 meg5117

meg5117

Chit Chatter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 08:58 AM

Gabaldon writes the Outlander series. It is not a series that is easy to classify because it really transcends genres. I would call it romance, adventure, fantasy, historical fiction. The story is super cool -- the premise is that some people can travel through time through stone circles. The writing is not at all out there. Her style is very earthy and detailed. The characters are engaging & the plots are engrossing. I absolutely love these books.So, how is "Matzo Ball Heriess?" Do you recommend it?

#29 MMM1

MMM1

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 02:05 PM

Thanks for the info...sounds interesting.The Matzo ball heiress...ehhh..wouldn't recommend it at this point but I'm only halfway there. I'm not really thrilled with the main character..she seems to be handed everything..spoiled,rich..I'm also not getting alot of the jokes. So at this point..Pass :D

#30 MMM1

MMM1

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 05:39 PM

Here's a neat little site for those interested in trading paperbacks. Pls note, it looks like the site will start charging an annual fee to register in the future.http://www.paperbackswap.com

#31 MMM1

MMM1

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 04:37 PM

Just finished "The Negotiator" by Dee HendersonStarting "Angels & Demons" by Dan Brown and "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult

#32 BiteMeAngel

BiteMeAngel

Chatter Box

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 05:53 PM

Ooo MMM1 I really liked both of the books you just started! My Sister's Keeper was kind of depressing, but not as much as you'd think given the topic.I read ShopGirl a long time ago. I remember liking the book. But I hate Claire Danes - won't see anything with her in it.And hazelnut, give it a few years then give the Girl With the Pearl Earrings movie a chance. I loved the book "The Firm" and right after I finished it, I saw it was playing on tv. I sat down to watch it and got about 10 minutes into it when I just had to get up and leave I hated the movie so much. But I saw the movie again years later, and was able to appreciate it more when the book wasn't as fresh in my mind.Anyhow, an author I really like is Sue Grafton. She writes a series of books with the character of Kinsey. Kinsey is a PI and one of my best friends. :D The books are in ABC order with titles like, "A is for Alibi" and "B is for Burglar", etc. The S book comes out in December and I'm so excited I can't sit still! It takes at least a year and usually much more for her to write a new book.

#33 MMM1

MMM1

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 02:22 PM

Hi Angel.I'm about 1/4 of the way through "My Sister's Keeper". What a moral dilemma..it really does make you think "who is right and who is wrong". I've never read Picoult before so I was curious..so far really like her style of writing.Sue Grafton is very good. I started reading her years ago but had to stop reading for while. I left off with I or J and just for some unknown reason never picked back up. Good thing about Grafton..she writes such a tight,compact mystery..everything falls into place without being extreme or predictable.

Edited by MMM1, 07 September 2005 - 03:55 PM.

#34 hazelnut

hazelnut

Chatter Box

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 04:07 AM

I've read through E in the Sue Grafton series and I'm still kind of iffy on whether or not I like them. I keep hoping with each book that she doesn't have the same 4 pages with the details on Kinsey's background and how she lives in the apartment with the baker landlord. We know that by now! I just pick them up when there's nothing else at the library.I read My Sister's Keeper this summer and it is very good. After reading that, I picked up Perfect Match by Picoult and liked it too. I really like her writing style.I just started Angels & Demons on Monday, and so far I like it.

#35 BiteMeAngel

BiteMeAngel

Chatter Box

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 11:54 PM

I just got "Good in Bed" a chick-lit book. Haven't started it yet.I really liked the Sue Grafton books. But I like to read fluff most of the time. So I just skip over the Kinsey backstory. I figure it's just so people can read any book not in order for fun, or get into the whole series. I love her landlord Henry. He's adorable. And her sarcastic/dry humor is right up my ally. :D

#36 MMM1

MMM1

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 01:58 PM

Anyone tackled "The Historian" or "Widow of the South" yet? Heard they are both very good.

#37 MMM1

MMM1

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 02:02 PM

Has anyone read "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell" by Susanna Clarke? It just came out in trade paperback recently..so I got it today. Is it good/bad?? not sure whether I want to start it, yet.

#38 desperatelyseekingthetruth

desperatelyseekingthetruth

ChitChat FANatic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 12:09 PM

My mother gave me her copy of Angels & Demons by Dan Brown. I'll start reading it tomorrow.
My body is so important to me... my face, my arms, my legs, my hands, my eyes, everything. I use everything I have.
Monica Bellucci

#39 MMM1

MMM1

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 02:23 PM

I finished Angels & Demons. I liked it but by the time I got to the last 1/4 was ready for it to end. It just seemed to go on way too long at the end. It got me caught up on my Art History :). Desperate, let us know how you like it.Just started "Trial by Fury" by J.A. Jance--A JP Beaumont mystery and "For Matrimonial Purposes" by Kavita Daswani--an older chick lit book.

#40 MMM1

MMM1

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 02:24 PM

You guys reading anything good??Just finished "Everywhere that Mary Went" by Lisa ScottolineRight now I'm on "The Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde and going to try to start HP "The Order of the Phoenix" and have it as a running third book.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users