925 replies to this topic

#41 princess

princess

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41421 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 02:49 PM

Just finished State of Fear by Michael Crichton - very intersting take on the Global Warming and Environmental Groups.... At the end he has a bunch of "this is what is real and this is what is fake" in the book stuff. One of the columns is here. Good reading.

#42 princess

princess

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41421 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 02:54 PM

I've been reading The Agony and The Esctasy by Irving Stone. It's based on Michelangelo, told from his point of view. Kinda slow starting, but glad I got through it because getting much more interesting now. I'm at the part where he just got invited to stay at the Medicini family palace and sculpt.

#43 princess

princess

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41421 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 02:56 PM

Anyone tackled "The Historian" or "Widow of the South" yet? Heard they are both very good.

Haven't heard of either of these. You read them yet? Is The HIstorian what they based the made-for-tv movie with Noah Wiley on?

#44 Zion

Zion

ChitChat FANatic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1737 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 06:23 PM

I just got "Good in Bed" a chick-lit book. Haven't started it yet. I really liked the Sue Grafton books. But I like to read fluff most of the time. So I just skip over the Kinsey backstory. I figure it's just so people can read any book not in order for fun, or get into the whole series. I love her landlord Henry. He's adorable. And her sarcastic/dry humor is right up my ally. :D

I just finished "Good in Bed" and loved it! Its one of those books you don't want to end, I keep thinking about the characters and wondering how they're doing, lol. I also read "In her Shoes" and "Little Earthquakes" by Jennifer Weiner.

#45 MMM1

MMM1

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 05:52 AM

Finished up the "The Eyre Affair" really liked it. It was a bit strange,out there and quirky. Some reviews have likened it to a "grown up Harry Potter type book" or "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy type book". If your an English lit buff or "Jane Eyre" fan..you might want to give it a try...although it did take a few chapters for me to get into it. Princess, The Historian and Widow of the South were released a few months ago in hardback.The Historian is fiction and a 600 pager(not based upon the Wyle movie). It's about a young woman in search of the legend of Dracula. I've read reader reviews and see alot of "when does it get good" and this is a couple of hundred pages into it..not a good sign :D. Then there are some reviews where the readers absolutely loved it. I have read the first time author did go into painstaking detail (maybe she needed the help of a good editor).Widow of the South is based upon true facts but more historical fiction than anything. It is about a woman who opened her house as hospital during the Civil War. It's also gotten some good buzz.I'll probably check them out when they go paperback.

Edited by MMM1, 02 November 2005 - 05:54 AM.

#46 hazelnut

hazelnut

Chatter Box

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 11:52 AM

Finished up the "The Eyre Affair" really liked it. It was a bit strange,out there and quirky. Some reviews have likened it to a "grown up Harry Potter type book" or "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy type book". If your an English lit buff or "Jane Eyre" fan..you might want to give it a try...although it did take a few chapters for me to get into it.

I've read that and I just finished the next one in the series, "Lost In A Good Book." It took me a while to get into the first one too because I couldn't figure out all of the weird stuff in her world, but once you get into it, it's not bad. The second one is a lot like the first.

#47 MMM1

MMM1

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 03:27 PM

Yea, the whole Crimea War stuff confused me..I wasn't really sure why they were fighting?? (maybe that was the point :D). I did enjoy the Rochester and Jane parts (have always loved Jane Eyre). I do have the second book already..it's just in the "to be read" pile.

#48 MMM1

MMM1

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 03:47 PM

Could only get through a couple of chapters of "Slave to Fashion" by Rebecca Campbell...just didn't grab me.Actually got through the whole book of Sidney Sheldon's "Are you Afraid of the Dark?" but wish I Had skipped that one. :D

#49 NORTHERNGIRL

NORTHERNGIRL

Chatter Bug

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 06:58 AM

I'm currently switching off between Blonde by Joyce Carol Oates and The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger (or something to that extent... don't have the book right in front of me... I'm sure you know what one I'm talking about)I wanted to read Blonde since I'm a huge Marilyn fan, but I'm just about at the halfway point and it's starting to really lag... the parts about her childhood are interesting, but when she hooks up with charlie chaplin jr and his boyfriend, it all gets a little too weird for me...So I thought The Devil Wears Prada would be a good one to fill in when Blonde was just too much for me, and it's alright, I'm still not sure what I think of it. I'm definetly hooked in it, but at the same time not really sure I even like the main character. Anyone else read it and have an opinion?
My son Porter Jackson Earle is my hero. He was born with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome 12/22/06 and on 1/11/07 he received a heart transplant and a second chance at life.

please keep Porter in your thoughts as he continues to recover. http://blog.myspace.com/northern__girl

#50 MMM1

MMM1

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 05:13 PM

Hi Northerngirl. Quite a few people here have read "The Devil wears Prada"..most of us agree that we weren't real thrilled with the writing of it..but the actual story of a fashionista's flunkie :D was pretty cute. Check out the film thread..there is a thread about the upcoming movie version of this book.

#51 princess

princess

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41421 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 04:42 PM

And this girl is who the boss in The Devil Wears Prada is suppose to be in real life.

#52 bittermuch?

bittermuch?

ChitChat FANatic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1988 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:39 AM

I just read The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. Wholly involving and quite moving - I picked it up at bedtime and was up into the wee hours because I just had to finish it. I highly recommend it.
"I'm an experienced woman. I've been around. Well, alright, I might not have been around, but I've been... nearby." Mary Richards

"If it doesn't make sense, it's not true." - my mom quoting Judge Judy

#53 MMM1

MMM1

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 02:18 PM

Thanks for the recommendation.Read "Milk Run" by Sarah Mylnowski..pretty decent chick lit.

#54 Guest_gs7822_*

Guest_gs7822_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2005 - 03:58 AM

Adaptation (shooting script)&Small Talk by Debra Fine

#55 soho2chelsea

soho2chelsea

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9576 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 11:23 AM

I just started reading Dashiell Hammett...the "inventor" of the hard-boiled mystery... AWESOME.
“Fashion is not about utility. An accessory is merely a piece of iconography used to express individual identity.”

#56 robot_devil

robot_devil

Chatter Box

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 12:25 PM

i've been reading "a short history of tractors in ukrainian" for light reading... it's really funny and well-written. lately it's been all i can do to read my new yorker every week!i start going back to school part-time in january for my masters, so i think my reading that's not social work-related will drop substantially.

#57 robot_devil

robot_devil

Chatter Box

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 12:31 PM

by the way, soho, if you like mystery novels, check out paco ignacio taibo. his novels are quite surreal and strange, and really twist up the whole hard-boiled genre. a lot of his books talk about the current state of mexico in a roundabout way. he's one of my favorites. really terrific. also, i can't recommend mario vargas llosa enough. he's peru's most famous writer and he veers from denigrations of south american society to these wonderfully free-wheeling accounts of cosmopolitan life in lima to off-the-wall discussions of art history! he is so wonderful and fun and lush and heartbreaking and thought-provoking. check out "aunt julia & the scriptwriter" for an introduction... but "the war of the end of the world" is my favorite. it's based on a true story about a town in brazil that is established by this madman prophet and his crew of prostitutes, thieves, beggars... and they make a military stand against the brazilian army. it's incredibly epic and may be my favorite book of all time. sorry for the long post. i'm a book junkie.

#58 MMM1

MMM1

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 06:54 PM

Finished up "The Sinner" by Tess Gerritson, "Jane and the Unpleasantness of Scargrave Manor" by Stephanie Barron, and "The Remnant" by Jenkins/LaHaye.

#59 soho2chelsea

soho2chelsea

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9576 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 08:48 PM

by the way, soho, if you like mystery novels, check out paco ignacio taibo. his novels are quite surreal and strange, and really twist up the whole hard-boiled genre. a lot of his books talk about the current state of mexico in a roundabout way. he's one of my favorites. really terrific. also, i can't recommend mario vargas llosa enough. he's peru's most famous writer and he veers from denigrations of south american society to these wonderfully free-wheeling accounts of cosmopolitan life in lima to off-the-wall discussions of art history! he is so wonderful and fun and lush and heartbreaking and thought-provoking. check out "aunt julia & the scriptwriter" for an introduction... but "the war of the end of the world" is my favorite. it's based on a true story about a town in brazil that is established by this madman prophet and his crew of prostitutes, thieves, beggars... and they make a military stand against the brazilian army. it's incredibly epic and may be my favorite book of all time. sorry for the long post. i'm a book junkie.

Ooh, thank you! I will put both on my Amazon list :)
“Fashion is not about utility. An accessory is merely a piece of iconography used to express individual identity.”

#60 meg5117

meg5117

Chit Chatter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 01:29 PM

I just finished The Queen's Fool by Phillippa Gregory -- awesome historical fiction!

Also I have recently read Sea Glass by Anita Shreve -- and I totally loved it. I can't wait to read more by her.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users