Hoyaheel

Masterpiece

Started this with a broad subject title so it can be used for more shows, but - Masterpiece Classic tonight is the first part of Death Comes to Pemberley, for all you Jane Austen fans (I read the book last year and found it "ok" - I'm sure I'll love the tv show more ;-)

http://www.avclub.com/article/death-comes-pemberley-puts-matthew-rhys-deep-under-210989

I did record it, but I'll probably watch parts 1 & 2 together at some future date....

We had a really lovely weekend so I was outside - have SO MUCH tv recorded but when it's nice - I hate to spend the day on the couch!

I watched Part 1 of Pemberley last night and really enjoyed it. So far I like it better than the book. I plan to watch the 2nd part tonight (hubby is hunting...)

I loved the Darcy, and I like the woman playing Elizabeth - she was a very good actress- but she did seem a little old, matronly, and melancholy? for Elizabeth Bennett Darcy. The movie was MUCH better than the book. I'm such a sucker for a costume drama!!

• Like 1

Planned to watch the Grantchester premiere but instead got Charles III (which I also recorded but haven't watched - maybe that recording is the Grantchester premier?? ;-)

Anyway, this movie is soap opera trashy sometimes - and I like that part!!! - but this Prince Harry thinks he's acting in a Shakespeare play. It's very odd and doesn't fit AT ALL. They could have done a modern Shakespeare approach and that could have worked, but the mix with just Harry as Shakespearean (well, occasionally Charles is a little Shakespearean) It's like they filmed 2 versions and mashed them together badly in editing.....

The part where they made Kate a closet smoker made me laugh ;-)

Is this an old recording? Grantchester has been back on for several weeks here. And is Charles so bad it's campy or just so bad don't bother looking for it?

Edited by dixiedoodah

I think the Charles III is recent - was a play that they made a movie out of. Sadly, the actor playing Charles has also recently died. I watched a half hour at the end about the transition from play to movie and I understand a little more (it was a play written in free verse or something like that -I was also cooking dinner ;-) - so on stage this might have worked. But in a tv movie? Nope. And the Harry character was way way annoying, and the story overall I didn't like. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/shows/king-charles-iii/

And dangit, now I've missed being able to watch the season premier of Grantchester because it's only available for $ online. Boo, hiss! (yes, I record stuff I like but don't always watch for a while - too many things recorded - so I have 5 or 6 Grantchesters on the DVR now....)

I think when I have a slow day at work I'll do the Amazon PBS free trial so I can watch the premier, then catch up with the rest on the dvr....