madamecleo

Does anyone read historicals?

Years ago I read Anya Seton and Victoria Holt. Afraid to go back and re-read for fear I'd be disappointed. Gave me much enjoyment then especially Green Darkness by Anya Seton. Catherine Cooksen was popular too. Have discovered Marion Chesney - not really historical but quick, fun and satisfying Edwardian mysteries. I think Phillipa Gregory is one of Victoria Holt's psuedonyms. Loved reading all her stuff.

I think Phillipa Gregory is one of Victoria Holt's psuedonyms. Loved reading all her stuff.

No, that was Phillipa Carr.Phillipa Gregory is a current author who writes historical novels that focus on lesser-known people- for instancem The Other Boleyn Gilr is the story of Anne Bolyn's sister Mary, who was a lady-in-waiting to Katherine of Aragon, and was also Henry's mistress.

I just got Helen of Troy (by Margaret George) from the library on Saturday. 600 pages. Too big to read in the bubble bath <_< A tiny bit slow but now that I've passed the first 100 pages it's moving along more quickly.

My reading list is 8 pages long, 8pt font, tables & columns, etc.

that's so awesome - so is mine, only i use 9pt arial. lol. now, is that list for books you've read, or will read? my list is for books for me to purchase. it just keeps getting longer. sigh.

It's mainly for books I want to read, but for series--I have to keep the entire list on there or there's a chance I could duplicate. So I'd say about half is "to-read" and half is "already read, keep looking for next in series".

I just ordered a bunch of stuff from Amazon (mostly used) for the cruise I'm taking at the end of October. It's a long cruise and we'll have a lot of "at sea" days so I want to make sure I have enough to read!! Trashy romances (which I love) only take me a couple hours to read, so I have to mix in more substantial stuff or I'd have to carry too much :unsure:

It's mainly for books I want to read, but for series--I have to keep the entire list on there or there's a chance I could duplicate.

I duplicate anyway, because publishers are always changing titles to add appeal for the American market!

I hate that; I think I am getting a new book by a favorite author and it turns out I've already read it under a different title.

I just finished City of Light, by Laurie Belfer.

It isn't a new book, but I thought it was interesting.

For I different era in historical fiction, has anyone read Anchee Min? I have read two of her books, Becoming Madame Mao and Empress Orchid, which is about the last Empress of China. I think she's a good writer. Her books focus on the roles of women in a male dominated society. Lots of intrigue.

This is my first post here. I have enjoyed lurking and have picked up more titles for books to read than I probably ever will get too.

For I different era in historical fiction, has anyone read Anchee Min? I have read two of her books, Becoming Madame Mao and Empress Orchid, which is about the last Empress of China. I think she's a good writer. Her books focus on the roles of women in a male dominated society. Lots of intrigue.

This is my first post here. I have enjoyed lurking and have picked up more titles for books to read than I probably ever will get too.

welcome, boopster!

I'm glad I came back and re-read this thread because some of the recommendations didn't make it onto my book list--they're there now!

Thanks for bumping - I :wub: historicals and didn't realise there was a separate thread. :unsure:

I mentioned it on the Julia Quinn thread so I figured I'd go bump it up so it was easy to find.

I downloaded the Eloisa James booklist from her website and will check out my library to start on her books/series!

Thanks for bumping - I :wub: historicals and didn't realise there was a separate thread. :unsure:

I mentioned it on the Julia Quinn thread so I figured I'd go bump it up so it was easy to find.

I downloaded the Eloisa James booklist from her website and will check out my library to start on her books/series!

Try Eloisa's earlier books. I think she has sold out lately. Her earlier books were more original. Now she is starting to churn out paperbooks with little originality. I also like Christina Dodd.

Hey I have been lurking and getting so many great suggestions so THANK YOU..

Also for the two book lovers that have pages and pages of books they want to buy you guys should totally check out www.paperbackswap.com

I joined about a year ago and now only buy when I strictly need a book NOW.. I list the books that are not keepers (everyone has those) and then order from other people the books I want.

THUS FAR I have not had a bad experience.

You can even say you don't want books from people that smoke, have cats etc..

Cool site and has saved me a ton of money. :wacko:

Hey I have been lurking and getting so many great suggestions so THANK YOU..

Also for the two book lovers that have pages and pages of books they want to buy you guys should totally check out www.paperbackswap.com

I joined about a year ago and now only buy when I strictly need a book NOW.. I list the books that are not keepers (everyone has those) and then order from other people the books I want.

THUS FAR I have not had a bad experience.

You can even say you don't want books from people that smoke, have cats etc..

Cool site and has saved me a ton of money. :wacko:

Thanks, So Jaded. I needed this website like you can't imagine!! :lol:

I'm a big fan of the public library--I get the majority of my books there--they order stuff and do inter-library loans for almost anything I want--it's great! I've been on the board of the Friends of my library for years--give my tax deductible charitable donation once a year and feel better about all the work I put them through.

Hoya - you are lucky. My local library SUXS!!!! The people have the worst attidude in the universe. Another thing that irritates me to KNOW end is that whenever you go YOU HARDLY ever walk out with a freaking thing because either the computer says they have ir and they just did not put it back in place or they dont' have it and then you need to request. IT IS AWFUL..

I go to the library near my job - a complete 360!!!

The thing about libraries are that normally I like to read on my pace and I feel that when I have a due date looming I need to hurry hurry hurry.

I have a trillion books at home to many bookshelves to count and I feel like if I am reading one from the library I am not helping out the collection at home:(

It is a battle of the books.

I am lucky with the library--esp. since I live in a very small county with pitiful funding. But the library consortium is good, and the staff at our library make quite a difference. I've lived near some crappy libraries too, but the first thing I do when I move to a new place is get a library card--can't help it! Since I rarely buy new books, and tend to buy quick reads at book sales & tag sales, etc. the home shelves aren't overwhelmed--those paperbacks are the ones I like to bring on vacation and leave behind. Another great thing about our library is that I can renew stuff online (or by phone) if I need more time. Plus I'm a quick reader so I don't usually have problems. I've found that if I can't get through a book by the time it's due back at the library, chances are it's time for me to give up on that book (hey, I can add that in the other thread about how do you know when it's time to give up on a book :P )

I live in a not so small county and in a town that is seriously 20 minutes from NYC.. I can see the skyline from our bedroom window and yet our library sucks. Now I work 1 hour from home, in a much smaller town most people are like WHERE IS THAT??? and yet their library rocks. Lucky for me I am able to get a library card through my job to that library...

Another great thing about our library is that I can renew stuff online (or by phone) if I need more time.

OT: Thank you, Hoya. My books are due tomorrow and you just reminded me that I have to renew online. :D

(I also just want to say thanks to everyone for all the great reading ideas in these threads. I mostly just lurk in this forum because by the time I get to reading your suggestions, they're old news here.)

I just saw that Kathleen Woodiwiss has a new book out. If someone reads it, let me know what you think!

I love the library. I get lots of stuff from there and donate alot of books too. The only problem is when I am in Borders and I KNOW I have to have the book. I am not going to be on a waiting list for it. That's my problem.

The only problem is when I am in Borders and I KNOW I have to have the book. I am not going to be on a waiting list for it.

For me, it's Costco--I don't ever go to bookstores (way too much temptation) but I'm in Costco at least once a week for groceries and I often find a book thrown into my cart :unsure:

I got some GORGEOUS popup books (works of art!!) for all my nieces & nephews for Christmas too, though ;)

PS My mom just gave me her Christmas list and she wants the full set of the Diana Gabaldon Outlander series--says used paperback is fine--so I might have to check out all the websites mentioned here ;) I've been using Thriftbooks.com mostly. There's another I can't find the website for right now--it's the California public libraries (can't remember if it's CA or just a county/city in CA) to raise money for the library system--I'd far prefer to support them if I can only find the bookmark--can't remember which computer it's on :rolleyes: