theempress

Remakes you don't want to happen

(IMDB.COM)

Stars Team Up for 'The Women'

Meg Ryan, Annette Bening, Eva Mendes, Jada Pinkett Smith, Debra Messing and Candice Bergen are teaming up for a remake of the 1939 classic The Women. The cast members, who have either signed up for the movie or are on the verge of doing so, will be directed by Diane English, who has spent more than 10 years trying to get the project off the ground. Despite its all-star cast, The Women has a budget of less than $20 million, reports Daily Variety. The 1939 original was directed by George Cukor and starred Norma Shearer and Joan Crawford.

The Women was perfect. Noone will direct it as well as Cukor and noone will make a better femme fatale then Joan Crawford was.

(IMDB.COM)

Meg Ryan, Annette Bening, Eva Mendes, Jada Pinkett Smith, Debra Messing and Candice Bergen are teaming up for a remake of the 1939 classic The Women. The cast members, who have either signed up for the movie or are on the verge of doing so, will be directed by Diane English, who has spent more than 10 years trying to get the project off the ground. Despite its all-star cast, The Women has a budget of less than $20 million, reports Daily Variety. The 1939 original was directed by George Cukor and starred Norma Shearer and Joan Crawford.

The Women was perfect. Noone will direct it as well as Cukor and noone will make a better femme fatale then Joan Crawford was.

A remake of The Women will be absolute crappity-crap. -_- You would think no one out there was doing any original screenwriting. :rolleyes:

You know what I think can work as a remake? Something like King Kong. A remake of films like The Blob or Godzilla might not bug me, because as spectacles they could do with updating. The effects are so dated that viewers can't really suspend their disbelief, so we can't experience what the film's creators intended.

You know what I think can work as a remake? Something like King Kong. A remake of films like The Blob or Godzilla might not bug me, because as spectacles they could do with updating. The effects are so dated that viewers can't really suspend their disbelief, so we can't experience what the film's creators intended.

that "secret" movie whose trailer premiered before transformers looks like a godzilla remake to me. if so, it looks pretty cool.

(IMDB.COM)

It was also the genteel delivery of the snark that made the movie great, the acid spit through a sweet smile. Women aren't trained to act like "ladies" in awkward social situations anymore, so this brand of humor isn't relevant for contemporary times. I vote NO REMAKE!!

Well Hairspray is actually the adaptation of the musical which was an adapatation of the John Waters' movie. So: is this qualify as a remake? To a certain extent yes since it has the same characters and same storyline. However the movie is a musical...in true " Broadway, eat your heart out Fosse" kinda way.

As for remake I don't want to see:

Spice girls 2 the return. Nuff said. Oops that is a sequel

I wouldn't want to see a remake of Roman Holiday, Annie Hall, Manhattan, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Kiss me Kate and Beetlejuice.

Edited by cathmonast

It was also the genteel delivery of the snark that made the movie great, the acid spit through a sweet smile. Women aren't trained to act like "ladies" in awkward social situations anymore, so this brand of humor isn't relevant for contemporary times. I vote NO REMAKE!!

Agreed. I take heart in the knowledge that they have been trying to remake this flick for 20 or 30 years. I can't even count the number of times it's been cast. I'm still hoping this one falls apart before they shoot anything.

If they go through with it - I'll be seeing red. Jungle Red.

Everybody Cut "Footloose" -- Again

Posted Jul 11th 2007 12:08PM by TMZ Staff

Filed under: Movies

Get ready to kick off your Sunday shoes -- Paramount is re-making "Footloose." Oowhee, Marie!

Zac Efron, of "High School Musical" and "Hairspray" fame, will take on the Kevin Bacon role as the rebellious newcomer in a town where dancing has been banned.

Let's just hope Zac dances as well with a tractor as Kevin did.

I can't believe this craptacular film needs a remake, it's perfect trash as is.

Everybody Cut "Footloose" -- Again

Posted Jul 11th 2007 12:08PM by TMZ Staff

Filed under: Movies

Get ready to kick off your Sunday shoes -- Paramount is re-making "Footloose." Oowhee, Marie!

Zac Efron, of "High School Musical" and "Hairspray" fame, will take on the Kevin Bacon role as the rebellious newcomer in a town where dancing has been banned.

Let's just hope Zac dances as well with a tractor as Kevin did.

I can't believe this craptacular film needs a remake, it's perfect trash as is.

I actually think this one could work if it could they could camp it up, poke fun of itself. But with Zac Efron, not a possibility.

No remake of "The Outsiders"...the original Brat Pack - I can just see H'Wood itching to launch a new boy-band-esque clique of up and comings and using the film as a launch.

Ponyboy will forever be C. Thomas Howell....and where has he gone btw.....last seen in the Hitcher (another film that should never have been remade......

I've seen more pre-1970 films than post-, so I'm just going with the blanket no remakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There aren't enough decent ones to justify them in general.

But to be more specific ...

No Hitchcock remakes. No.

No remakes of any film noir.

No classic film musicals. No way. Especially not On the Town or any Fred and Ginger stuff.

The Thin Man--no touchy.

Anything that originally starred Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn, or Jimmy Cagney. Leave it alone.

No Greta Garbo or Marlene Dietrich vehicles. Don't do it, Hollywood. :ph34r:

Amen and hallelujah to ALL of those!

I think that remakes are generally underwhelming. I don't think I can up with a remake that I liked better than the original.

I can live without Hollywood ever remaking a movie. I wish they could come up with more original movies than constant remakes or sequels. Then again, I guess it's what the audience wants, the top three grossing movies of this year so far are Spidey 3, Shrek 3 and Pirates 3. HP 5 will probably join those movies soon.

Can I just add that the remake of the "Haunting" was awful in principle and TERRIBLE in execution? Anyone who hasn't seen the old movie really should. The CZJ version was just on TV today and I saw a few minutes of it. Cringeworthy. Whereas the original was one of the scariest movies I ever saw as a kid, and still scares me today!

^^^Funny you should mention CZJ. I saw an ad on TV the other night for her latest, No Reservations. It's a remake of a really wonderful, sweet German film that I highly recommend, called Bella Martha. I know, German films are usually depressing, but this one was awesome, an all-time favorite. I came here to lament. :( I just realized there's no smiley for a keening wail--any chance we can get one?

*Flattered that my please-do-not-remake-my-favorite-movies list met with approval.* :unsure:

How about they don't remake anything that was ever made that was slightly memorable in anyway?

Also how about they don't rape, I mean remake, any successful foreign movies and people learn to read subtitles so they can appreciate the real thing?

However I have one exception. I have heard that some idiots are planning to remake a Japanese film called Battle Royale, which if you have never heard of, it is basically an extreme exploration of the generation gap. Teenagers have become so feral that in order to control them a reality show is devised where one class per year (i think) is sent to an island, fitted up with exploding tracking devices on their neck, given a package with a random weapon or tool, and ordered to fight to the death, as only one can win.

I think this is a great idea for a remake, except in the form of an actual reality show, as long as Paris, that dog fighting douche and other assorted wastes of space like them are the contestants! Sorry too evil? :D

Not a remake, but a re-cut.

From MSN

BLADERUNNER

It's hard to believe, but there have already been three different versions of Ridley Scott's landmark sci-fi thriller "Blade Runner" released in some form or another. There was the 1982 theatrical version that featured Harrison Ford's controversial character narration as Deckard and the Deckard-Rachael (Sean Young) "happy ending" escape. The version most people saw was the cut that was released on home video and played on cable up until 1992. It was actually the international version that was unrated and featured extended action sequences.

After years of rumors about the ending, Scott released a 1992 director's cut in which he removed the Ford narration and the "happy ending" and added the infamous "unicorn" sequence, which suggested that Deckard was a replicant as well -- all how he originally intended the movie to be cut. Most recently, though, a rare version of the film was found in the Warner Bros. archives that was radically different in more ways than can be described here. Confused? Don't be, because Scott and Warner Bros. have now teamed up on a new "Blade Runner: Final Cut" just in time for the film's 25th anniversary. This new "definitive" version, according to Scott, contains added and extended scenes, new and cleaner special effects, and that all-important 5.1 Dolby Digital Audio. And it should be the version you judge the film by.

Scott's legendary career includes "Alien," "Legend," "Thelma & Louise" and the Oscar-winning "Gladiator," but "Blade Runner" arguably still stands as his greatest artistic achievement. Scott came down to speak to the fans at San Diego's Comic-Con this past weekend and spent hours indulging questions from the press. This work on a new "Final Cut" all came to be after the Santa Monica Film Festival asked for a print of the movie. Someone in Warner Bros.' archives found a 65-millimeter print of the movie that it turns out had been the last preview version of the film (Scott recalls them "previewing it to death").

"It started off with Vangelis music and a little bit of Jerry Goldsmith's, and at the end of it, people sort of sat there flabbergasted, thinking, 'Wait a minute, that's not the film I remember,'" Scott says. "That's what really created this interest and also showed the studio there is a lot of interest still in this film."

Although Scott had come off "Alien" and thousands (as he puts it) of award-winning TV commercials, he wasn't prepared for all the "cooks" who wanted a say in the editing of "Blade Runner." The producers and studio executives had forced the new ending and voice-over (which angered Ford for years), and Scott says he just didn't have the energy to fight it at the time.

"There was a lot of hell and I think I did get cross doing it and making it," Scott recalls. "But out of it came, remarkably, a film that still stands on its own legs after 25 years. It gets better as it gets older."

"Blade Runner: The Final Cut" opens in New York and Los Angeles Oct. 5. It debuts on DVD Dec. 18.

I might get booed for this, but... I really liked Rob Zombie's Halloween remake

*runs and hides*

I really like the original, and I love it's authentic 70's feel. But the re-make adds to the story, it delves deeper into Michael's childhood. I don't want to give too much away so I'll leave it at that, but does anyone agree with me? Anyone? :unsure:

OK, one remake I did like was Parent Trap with Lindsay Lohan, Dennis Quaid & Natasha Richardson. I love the original with Hayley Mills, but I thought the remake was just as "Disney cute" as the original.

I might get booed for this, but... I really liked Rob Zombie's Halloween remake

*runs and hides*

I really like the original, and I love it's authentic 70's feel. But the re-make adds to the story, it delves deeper into Michael's childhood. I don't want to give too much away so I'll leave it at that, but does anyone agree with me? Anyone? :unsure:

I haven't seen it, but I want to. I haven't heard good things, though, so I'm glad to hear you liked it!

I hear you iluvgossip. I really liked the remake of Halloween as well. I think I liked I liked it because it was semi-remake instead of a word for word exact same remake which probably would have sucked. This was almost like a whole new movie but with hints of the original.

I hear you iluvgossip. I really liked the remake of Halloween as well. I think I liked I liked it because it was semi-remake instead of a word for word exact same remake which probably would have sucked. This was almost like a whole new movie but with hints of the original.

That's exactly right- it adds to the story instead of being a word-for-word copy. It gives you more instead of just being a re-hash. Perhaps if all remakes did that, they wouldn't have such a bad reputation. Although, as I'm sure was the point of starting this thread, some films just can't be improved upon.

Then again, I'm sure there are plenty of original Halloween fanatics that wouldn't give the new one a chance.