theempress

Remakes you don't want to happen

I can not see any of the three of them in the title role of "Barbarella".

I can't either! I thought Drew was interested? Her I can see in the role. Edited by daq

Sorry,

I have nothing to add. :unsure: I just had to post something to make that damn john cena crap leave my screen. I didn't want whoever keeps trying to overrun the forum to think it was working. It's been the top thread on FILM CHATTER for awhile. Hope everyone's enjoying their vacation. But from now on, whenever I see that :angry3: name, I avoid the thread like the plague!!!!

Thank you for taking one for the team. Much appreciated. :D

WB, Singer to lift 'Excalibur'

Duo ready remake of Boorman film

By MICHAEL FLEMING

Bryan Singer will develop a remake of 1981's 'Excaliber' for Warners.

Warner Bros. has closed a deal to remake the 1981 John Boorman-directed "Excalibur," with Bryan Singer producing and developing the picture as a potential directing vehicle.

The deal comes as Singer gets serious about making the New Line-Legendary co-production "Jack the Giant Killer" his next directing effort.

WB and Legendary Pictures have labored for months to pull together the rights to the film, which Singer will produce with Julie Yorn. Also a producer is Polly Johnsen -- who was Polly Cohen when she was the WB exec who presided over the Singer-directed WB/Legendary collaboration "Superman Returns."

Inspired by Thomas Malory's 15th century work, and scripted by Rospo Pallenberg and Boorman, "Excalibur" explores the myth of King Arthur, complete with the Knights of the Round Table, Merlin the wizard and the quest for the Holy Grail to save Arthur's life. The original picture broke such talent as Helen Mirren (who played the evil Morgana), Liam Neeson (Sir Gawain), Gabriel Byrne, Patrick Stewart and Ciaran Hinds.

Singer hasn't set a writer yet.

Matt Reilly is overseeing for WB, Erik Olsen for the Yorn shingle, and Singer’s former partner Alex Garcia is overseeing for Legendary Prods.

Singer recently signed on to develop to direct and produce "Battlestar Galactica" at Universal; he'd been eyeing that project since he originally made a deal to godfather a series revival in 2001. At the same time, Singer has been flirting with directing "X-Men: First Class," a 20th Century Fox spinoff that got a first script draft by "The OC" creator Josh Schwartz.

It looks like his next directing assignment might well be "Jack the Giant Killer," a riff on the Jack and the Beanstalk legend that was developed by New Line with scripters Darren Lemke and Mark Bomback and producer Neal Moritz. The story revolves around a young farmer who leads an expedition into the land of the giants to recover a kidnapped princess.

Singer is repped by WME.

'The Crow' remake :censored:

December 15, 2008 | 7:06 am

As 'The Crow' flies: The director that drove Sean Connery to retirement and ensured that Alan Moore would never give Hollywood another chance wants to remake "The Crow." Reporter Michael Fleming has the announcement story in the trades: "Stephen Norrington has signed on to write and direct a reinvention of "The Crow," based on the comic created by James O’Barr. Ryan Kavanaugh’s Relativity Media is negotiating with producer Ed Pressman to acquire the film franchise and finance the film. Pressman produced the 1994 Alex Proyas-directed screen transfer, in which rock musician Eric Draven is murdered trying to rescue his girlfriend from thugs, and returns from the dead one year later to exact vengeance. Though the original became a gothic-style hit that grossed nearly $100 million worldwide, it is primarily remembered for a tragic accident in which star Brandon Lee was killed during filming. For Norrington, the "Crow" deal marks the end of a long screen sabbatical. After making his breakthrough with the Marvel Comics hero "Blade," Norrington took on a big-budget comic transfer with "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen." Neither the director nor his star, Sean Connery, has made a film since. Norrington said he felt demoralized by that experience, and the accomplished sculptor spent the next five years writing and working on his art. He made a deal to direct "Clash of the Titans" for Warner Bros., but left the project, he said, because he was "unable to excite Warner Bros. with my take, or influence the screenplay to any comfortable extent...." "Whereas Proyas’ original was gloriously gothic and stylized, the new movie will be realistic, hard-edged and mysterious, almost documentary-style," Norrington told Daily Variety. [Variety]

'Total Recall' ready for revival

Col eyeing contemporary version of 1990 sci-fi flick

By Borys Kit

"Total Recall" is totally coming back.

Neal H. Moritz and his Original Films banner are in final negotiations to develop and produce for Columbia a contemporary version of "Total Recall," the 1990 Arnold Schwarzenegger sci-fi action movie directed by Paul Verhoeven.

The original, based on the Philip K. Dick story "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale," follows a man haunted by a recurring dream of journeying to Mars who buys a literal dream vacation from a company called Rekall Inc., which sells implanted memories. The man comes to believe he is a secret agent and ends up on a Martian colony, where he fights to overthrow a despotic ruler controlling the production of air.

The movie explores one of Dick's favorite topics, reality vs. delusion, as audiences never knew whether or not the story was a dream. Either way, the movie grossed a very real $261 million worldwide.

Carolco was behind the original movie, which was distributed by TriStar. Dimension picked up the rights for a reported $3.15 million with the aim of developing a sequel. Columbia secured the rights from Miramax, which retained them when Harvey and Bob Weinstein left to start their own company.

Calling Dick's story "prescient," Moritz said he hoped the advancements in technology and state-of-the-art visual effects can help tell the "Recall" story in a fresh way.

Toby Jaffe is overseeing on behalf of Original Film. Matt Tolmach and Sam Dickerman oversee for Columbia.

I am still waiting for the Stephanie Plum movie to be coming. From the SP bounty hunter mystery novels. I heard years ago they were trying to get it cast to make into a movie. Sandra Bullock is a shoe in for Stephanie, Queen Latifia or Sherry Sheperd for Lulu her friend, Dwayne the rock for the one bounty hunter, the hot, dark mysterious one. I can't remember his name. I just cant decide who for be good for her boyfirend the cop- Joe Morelli. Maybe Ben Affleck ?? Anyone else got any ideas??

I am still waiting for the Stephanie Plum movie to be coming. From the SP bounty hunter mystery novels. I heard years ago they were trying to get it cast to make into a movie. Sandra Bullock is a shoe in for Stephanie, Queen Latifia or Sherry Sheperd for Lulu her friend, Dwayne the rock for the one bounty hunter, the hot, dark mysterious one. I can't remember his name. I just cant decide who for be good for her boyfirend the cop- Joe Morelli. Maybe Ben Affleck ?? Anyone else got any ideas??

Maybe it's because I have seen so many of his movies lately and I love to look at him - but Bradley Cooper for Morelli? I haven't read them in so long, I don't know if he fits Evanovitch's description - but he could fit the character. I thought at one time Reese was up for Stephanie. I think Sandra Bullock would have been good about 5 years ago. She is a little too old for it. Isla Fisher could do Stephanie.

Noooooooo - not Mannequin!

Friday, January 8th 2010

There Will Be A Mannequin Remake

Posted Image

At this point, Hollywood taking a giant sledgehammer to the sparkly jewels of our childhoods by remaking them has become a part of life. It's something you are forced to deal with even though it makes a piece of your heart shrivel up, pass through your system and exit out of your asshole. You know, like not touching a narcotic for 2 weeks so you can pass a drug test. It must be done. I guess.

That's why I wasn't really surprised to learn that soon someone besides Meshach Taylor will launch flaming disco balls out of his ass as Hollywooooood (Fun fact: Saying the name "Hollywooooood" over and over again is a way of exercising your prostate). And someone besides Andrew McCarthy will slide all zany-like across a department store floor as Jonathan. And someone besides Kim Cattrall will play a plastic mannequin devoid of any kind of personality (Side note to Kristen Stewart: TEXT YOUR AGENT). And someone besides Estelle Getty will....OKAY, that one I can't do. It hurts too much.

This is all according to Cinematical who reports that Gladden Entertainment will modernize Mannequin with a younger cast. They are currently looking for a writer.

The truth is, I'm just trying to be brave for you guys. This hurts more than the time I tried to eat a piece of broccoli without dipping it in mayonnaise first. WHY DO THEY HAVE TO RUIN MANNEQUIN? Drown us all in a sea of teddy bears instead!

And whenever I put my ear up to a seashell....I don't hear the ocean....I hear this instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PP1HEFlkdY

Nothing's gonna stop us now! Well, except maybe the Mannequin remake.

Posted by: Michael K

Warner Bros. Hires Guy Ritchie to Direct Warren Ellis’ EXCALIBUR

by Matt Goldberg

Posted:March 4th, 2010 at 9:15 am

Director Guy Ritchie (Sherlock Holmes) is attached to helm Excalibur, written by Warren Ellis, for Warner Bros. Pajiba reports that this will be the second Excalibur movie currently in development for the studio as they’ve also attached Bryan Singer to remake John Boorman’s 1981 film of the same name. But Ritchie has a faster track on development for his magic sword movie. Singer’s Exacalibur has to fall into his busy schedule, which also includes Jack the Giant Killer, Battlestar Galactica, and X-Men: First Class. Conversely, Ritchie has Sherlock Holmes 2 and The Gamekeeper, and the latter requires another pass at the script.

Ellis says his telling of the legend, “differs from the prior 751 King Arthur movies in many ways, but perhaps most obviously in that it is very specifically about the gathering of the Knights.” Pajiba adds that Ritchie’s take is closer to Star Wars than going medieval. I enjoyed Sherlock Holmes and don’t have any intense feelings about Ritchie one way or the other, but I’m excited for anything Ellis does seeing as he’s penned two of my all-time favorite comic series (Transmetropolitan and Planetary).

New 'Blade Runner' movies on the way?

Alcon Entertainment is looking to acquire the rights to produce prequels and sequels to the 1982 cult classic "Blade Runner," according to the Hollywood Reporter.

The trade paper reports that the company is in final negotiations to potentially create a franchise around the movie, which was based on Philip K. Dick's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep."

It was director Ridley Scott's follow-up to the box office smash "Alien," but it was considered a box office bomb at the time, only grossing $27.6 million, according to Boxofficemojo.com.

In 1992, a Director's Cut - which removed the narration from star Harrison Ford, among other things - hit theaters, and the movie has since been considered one of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time. A "Final Cut" was released on DVD and Blu-Ray in 2007, the same year that the American Film Institute ranked it in its list of the 100 best films.

The more recent cuts especially left the resolution of the story up in the air, so this is probably not the first time a sequel has been pondered by fans and Hollywood execs alike.

In a statement to THR, Alcon Entertainment's Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson said, "We recognize the responsibility we have to do justice to the memory of the original with any prequel or sequel we produce. We have long-term goals for the franchise, and are exploring multi-platform concepts, not just limiting ourselves to one medium."

What do you think of this idea? Are you excited to see more "Blade Runner" or should the original stand on its own? Would you like to see Harrison Ford or Sean Young return to their roles?

Indiana Jones - Harrison Ford doing one more but Spielberg says next indy should be a woman.

https://pagesix.com/2018/04/04/steven-spielberg-says-its-time-for-a-woman-to-play-indiana-jones/

He says they'd have to change "Jones" to "Joan" which makes no sense whatsoever as "Jones" is his last name. Duh.

[also, I literally now have a 2nd cousin - or 1st cousin once removed? I'm terrible at genealogy - who was born over the weekend named "Indi Ruth", so....Indiana is a nickname and there's no reason it can't be gender neutral)

• Like 1

Indiana Jones - Harrison Ford doing one more but Spielberg says next indy should be a woman.

https://pagesix.com/2018/04/04/steven-spielberg-says-its-time-for-a-woman-to-play-indiana-jones/

He says they'd have to change "Jones" to "Joan" which makes no sense whatsoever as "Jones" is his last name. Duh.

[also, I literally now have a 2nd cousin - or 1st cousin once removed? I'm terrible at genealogy - who was born over the weekend named "Indi Ruth", so....Indiana is a nickname and there's no reason it can't be gender neutral)

Someone other than Harrison playing Indy?!?! I don't know... would have to be some awesome casting, regardless of gender. If Angelina Jolie gets it, shoot me now.

• Like 2

I balk at the beginning, but I'm a Doctor Who fan and I've adjusted (a little bit) to different actors playing the same role. And soon it will be a woman!!!

If they're going female, I'd hope they'd go young and reboot the series starting with a younger actress. How amazing would Zendaya be??!!

• Like 1

I balk at the beginning, but I'm a Doctor Who fan and I've adjusted (a little bit) to different actors playing the same role. And soon it will be a woman!!!

If they're going female, I'd hope they'd go young and reboot the series starting with a younger actress. How amazing would Zendaya be??!!

Remember when River Phoenix played young Indy?? Loved that casting.

• Like 1

Yes, River Phoenix was great! I am also a HUGE fan of Sean Patrick Flanery in the tv show Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.....

We take our Indiana Jones seriously. Recasting - regardless if male or female - better be damn careful!!

• Like 2