Sign in to follow this  
princess

Alicia Keys

20 December 2006

KEYS' FILM TRAILER TOO STEAMY FOR TV

Eva Simpson & Caroline Hedley

SINGER Alicia Keys's first big film is so steamy, even the trailer was banned from TV.

The 25-year-old is starring alongside Ben Affleck in the sexy shoot-'em-up Smokin' Aces, which hits cinemas on January 12.

We're told: "The ad is graphic but so is the film!"

mediatakeout.com

Alicia Keys offers college scholarships

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Alicia Keys wants to help talented youngsters go to college, so the Grammy award winner is offering $5,000 scholarships to students from four cities.

"We're just looking for standout students who are definitely college-bound and need a little bit of help financially to really achieve their dreams," Keys said.

The four scholarship winners will be selected from Jacksonville, New Orleans, Atlanta and New York City's Harlem neighborhood.

The Open Doors Scholars Program is part of Frum Tha Ground Up, a Jacksonville-based nonprofit organization started by Keys' road manager, D.J. Walton, who went to college in Jacksonville.

In return for their scholarships, the winners will represent the organization at school appearances and must perform community service each semester.

October 17. MediaTakeOut.com has just learned that Alicia Keys may have been arrested. An anonymous tipster tells us that Keys was arrested for a domestic disturbance involving another woman. We haven't yet confirmed the story, but the photos (below) suggest that Keys did have a run in with the law...

Posted Image

Posted Image

10/17/06, 12:51 pm EST

Exclusive: Alicia Keys Totally Not Arrested

An “anonymous tipster” just played what we think is a kinda nasty joke on MediaTakeOut.com by claiming that this photo features Alicia Keys being arrested after a “domestic disturbance involving another woman.” When contacted, Keys’ publicist Lauren Nowell said that Keys “doesn’t even wear her hair that way right now” and proceeded to contact Keys’ assistant who said the alleged arrest photo was actually taken two years ago when Keys was on tour in Europe. (She was walking with someone who was “probably a security guard,” Nowell said.) Why are Keys’ hands behind her back? “She has her Blackberry behind her back, she’s not in cuffs,” Nowell said, laughing and adding that Keys doesn’t like being photographed on her phone because she thinks it’s “tacky.”

What’s up with this need to prove Keys is gay? In another article on the same Web site, photos of Keys with a “girlfriend” are spun as potential evidence of a sexual relationship. Nowell told us the oh-so-scandalous images depict Keys on vacation with her best friend, and their families. Those lesbians are always bringing their moms on romantic getaways, we guess. So hot.

-- Elizabeth Goodman

THEY'RE SMOKIN'!

Ryan Reynolds, Alicia Keys and Jeremy Piven form a gang of three at MTV's TRL studios in New York on Tuesday to promote their new action comedy Smokin' Aces. Piven has a big weekend ahead of him: Besides the opening of his film this Friday, the actor is also up for a SAG award for his role on the HBO hit Entourage on Sunday.

Posted Image

panachereport.com

Singer/actress Alicia Keys loved her intense training regime for the film “Smokin Aces,” so much, she decided to keep working out and train to run a marathon in Greece.

The singer makes her big screen debut in the film playing a tough hit woman out to kill a sleazy magician played by Jeremy Piven. She explains, "It kind of started with Smokin' Aces, because I was training in a way that I'd never trained before. "I just kind of woke up and thought, 'I want to run a marathon.' "So we started preparing for it and I did! It was the weirdest sensation. It was pretty long - it took me five hours!"

RIGHT IN TUNE

Alicia Keys rings in her 27th birthday with the help of pals (including rumored beau Kerry "Krucial" Brothers, right) at Bed nightclub in New York on Wednesday. Keys has plenty to celebrate: Her debut film Smokin' Aces opens this weekend.

Posted Image

NY DAILY NEWS

Keys' October surprise

Alicia Keys has pushed back the release date of her new album. But despite rumors of unrest at her record label, her rep insists that the delay is due only to her film commitments.

"The album was supposed to come out in June, but now it's looking like October," the spokeswoman said.

She said the delays were caused by scheduling changes in her burgeoning acting career, which includes roles in "Smokin' Aces" and "The Nanny Diaries."

However, the less official version has her upset with folks inside Clive Davis' J Records over

the assisted departure of promotions director Ken Wilson, to whom she was loyal.

Her rep denies this, and J Records would confirm only that Wilson is no longer with the company.

Panachereport.com

Alicia Keys took off to Egypt in a bid to find inspiration after she struggled with "confusing music" as she set about recording her new album.

The singer admits she was struggling to find her past form that earned her Grammy Awards and acclaim and decided she needed to take a holiday.

She traveled alone through Egypt, floating down the Nile and visiting ancient sites, like the Great Pyramid of Giza, just outside Cairo.

She says, "I'm thinking, `Here is this structure that's been standing for thousands of years, no magic tricks, no cranes, just mind, will and hands. "I had a profound realization that with my mind and my hands I could create something that could last forever." Fully inspired, Keys returned to the studio last summer (06) and completed work on her upcoming album As I Am, which she states is like "Aretha Franklin singing a Janis Joplin song."

Panachereport.com

The tragic death of a close friend forced soul singer Alicia Keys to stop acting like a performance diva. The Fallin' singer admits she started taking her family and friends for granted as her famous life and studio and touring work took over - and then a tragedy made her rethink.

Keys tells Rolling Stone magazine, "Maybe God knew I needed an extreme situation to help me understand what's real. "Everytime I'd wake up, I'd get dressed and put on my little facade, like, 'Everything's great. I've got these shows going on, I just finished this film.' (There were) all these f**king interview answers to the point where I'd give interview answers to my family."

Alicia Keys was at the 54th ONDA Awards in Barcelona, Spain. I have no clue what the ONDA Awards are about, but what I do know is that even if Alicia Keys played the piano like Britney Spears is classy, her hotness would still let her sell a million records

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bad Idea

Posted Image

Please let this happen! Idolator reports that Alicia Keys might duet with a "virtual Frank Sinatra" at this Sunday's Grammys. They will reportedly put a hologram Ol' Blue Eyes next to her the same way they did with Celine Dion and Elvis on American Idol. Celine's also sang a duet with Frank before. Alicia is picking up Celine's sloppy seconds!

This is a truly fantastic idea. I really hope this happens and I really hope Celine sneaks into the control room and switches the hologram with a "virtual Celine doing Madonna."

http://www.dlisted.com/

'Debaters' dominates Image Awards

Perry, Keys also have big night at NAACP gala

By LIBBY MCCARTHY, DEREK PETERS

There was no debating which were the favored projects at the 39th NAACP Image Awards, where hyphenate Tyler Perry, musician Alicia Keys, and film "The Great Debaters" earned multiple kudos in an evening packed with over 50 awards.

"Debaters" -- which received eight initial film nods -- took home four wins, including actor (Denzel Washington), actress (Jurnee Smollett), supporting actor (Denzel Whitaker), and motion picture.

Focus' "Talk To Me" earned kudos for scribes Michael Genet and Rick Famuyiwa, as well as for helmer Kasi Lemmons.

In the television categories, Tyler Perry's "House of Pain" hauled home three awards for comedy series, as well as actor and supporting actor in a comedy series (LaVan Davis and Lance Gross, respectively).

Perry's other project of the year, film "Why Did I Get Married?", earned Janet Jackson a supporting actress kudo.

Funny females America Ferrera and Vanessa Williams from "Ugly Betty" prevailed in the actress and supporting actress television categories.

"I love to be part of this show because it's fun, but also because of what it stands for," Ferrara said. "It's done wonderful things for diversity in the television landscape."

The "Grey's Anatomy" team sliced through the competition with awards in best drama series, and supporting actress (Chandra Wilson). Writing kudos for the popular drama also went to scribes Shonda Rhimes and Krista Vernoff.

NAACP honored thesps in varying skeins in the drama categories, with "CSI: NY's" Hill Harper earning the actor kudo, "The Unit's" Regina Taylor in the corresponding actress category, and "House's" Omar Epps with the supporting actor award.

Musicians Alicia Keys and Chris Brown received recognition for female and male artist, respectively. Keys also picked up awards for album ("As I Am"), as well as song and music video ("Like You'll Never See Me Again").

Most recent "American Idol" winner Jordin Sparks commanded "Respect" with her performance of Aretha Franklin's classic song, before Franklin picked up the 2007 Vanguard Award. Sparks then received her own distinction, named as outstanding new artist.

Franklin, who attended the first Image Awards show in 1969, called the show "sophisticated, rousing fun that rivals with the best and is second to none."

Sidney Poitier paid tribute to Chairman's Award honoree Ruby Dee in the form of a pre-taped speech. Musician nominee Angelique Kidjo also performed a song in Dee's honor.

"I accept this award on behalf of all the members, past and present, that have been led by the light of the NAACP," Dee said.

Image Awards Hall of Fame Inductee Stevie Wonder performed three songs and took the opportunity to stump for both Hilary Clinton and Barack Obama.

And the winners are...

TELEVISION CATEGORIES

Outstanding Comedy Series

Tyler Perry's "House of Payne" (TBS)

Outstanding Actor in a Comedy Series

LaVan Davis -- "Tyler Perry's House of Payne" (TBS)

Outstanding Actress in a Comedy Series

America Ferrera -- "Ugly Betty" (ABC)

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series

Lance Gross -- "Tyler Perry's House of Payne" (TBS)

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series

Vanessa L. Williams -- "Ugly Betty" (ABC)

Outstanding Drama Series

"Grey's Anatomy" (ABC)

Outstanding Actor in a Drama Series

Hill Harper -- "CSI: NY" (CBS)

Outstanding Actress in a Drama Series

Regina Taylor -- "The Unit" (CBS)

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series

Omar Epps -- "House" (FOX)

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series

Chandra Wilson -- "Grey's Anatomy" (ABC)

Outstanding Television Movie, Mini-Series or Dramatic Special

"Life Support" (HBO)

Outstanding Actor in a Television Movie, Mini-Series or Dramatic Special

Wendell Pierce -- "Life Support" (HBO)

Outstanding Actress in a Television Movie, Mini-Series or Dramatic Special

Queen Latifah -- "Life Support" (HBO)

Outstanding Actor in a Daytime Drama Series

Kristoff St. John -- "The Young And The Restless" (CBS)

Outstanding Actress in a Daytime Drama Series

Christel Khalil -- "The Young And The Restless" (CBS)

Outstanding News/Information -- (Series or Special)

"In Conversation: The Senator Barack Obama Interview" (TVOne)

Outstanding Talk -- (Series)

"Tavis Smiley 'Crisis in Darfur'" (PBS)

Outstanding Reality -- (Series)

"Run's House 4" (MTV)

Outstanding Variety -- (Series or Special)

"Celebration of Gospel '07" (BET)

Outstanding Children's Program

"That's So Raven" (Disney Channel)

Outstanding Performance in a Youth/Children's Program -Series or Special

Raven-Symoné -- "That's So Raven" (Disney Channel)

RECORDING CATEGORIES

Outstanding New Artist

Jordin Sparks (Jive/Zomba)

Outstanding Male Artist

Chris Brown (Jive)

Outstanding Female Artist

Alicia Keys (J Records)

Outstanding Duo or Group

Eddie & Gerald Levert (Atlantic)

Outstanding Jazz Artist

Herbie Hancock (Verve)

Outstanding Gospel Artist -- (Traditional or Contemporary)

Kirk Franklin (Gospocentric)

Outstanding World Music Album

Angelique Kidjo -- "Djin Djin" (Razor & Tie)

Outstanding Music Video

"Like You'll Never See Me Again" -- Alicia Keys (J Records)

Outstanding Song

"Like You'll Never See Me Again" -- Alicia Keys (J Records)

Outstanding Album

Alicia Keys -- "As I Am" (J Records)

LITERATURE CATEGORIES

Outstanding Literary Work -- Fiction

"Blonde Faith" -- Walter Mosley (Little, Brown & Company)

Outstanding Literary Work -- Non-Fiction

"Not on Our Watch: The Mission to End Genocide in Darfur and Beyond" -- Don Cheadle, John Prendergast (Hyperion)

Outstanding Literary Work -- Debut Author

"The Women Who Raised Me: A Memoir" -- Victoria Rowell (Harper Collins)

Outstanding Literary Work -- Biography/Auto-Biography

"Obama: From Promise to Power" -- David Mendell (Harper Collins/Amistad)

Outstanding Literary Work -- Instructional

"The Covenant in Action" -- Tavis Smiley (Smiley Books)

Outstanding Literary Work -- Poetry

"Acolytes: Poems" -- Nikki Giovanni (Harper Collins/William Morrow)

Outstanding Literary Work -- Children

"Nothing but Trouble: The Story of Althea Gibson" -- Sue Stauffacher,Author; Greg Couch, Illustrator (Random House)

Outstanding Literary Work -- Youth/Teens

"More Than Entertainers: An Inspirational Black Career Guide" -- Charles B. Schooler, Author; Gary Young, Illustrator (Zenith Publishing)

MOTION PICTURE CATEGORIES

Outstanding Actor in a Motion Picture

Denzel Washington -- "The Great Debaters" (The Weinstein Co.)

Outstanding Actress in a Motion Picture

Jurnee Smollett -- "The Great Debaters" (The Weinstein Co.)

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture

Denzel Whitaker -- "The Great Debaters" (The Weinstein Co.)

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture

Janet Jackson -- "Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married?" (Lionsgate Films)

Outstanding Motion Picture

"The Great Debaters" (The Weinstein Co.)

Outstanding Independent or Foreign Film

"Honeydripper" (Emerging Pictures)

Outstanding Documentary

"Darfur Now" (Warner Independent Pictures)

WRITING CATEGORIES

Outstanding Writing in a Comedy Series

Ali LeRoi -- "Everybody Hates Chris: Everybody Hates Guidance Counselor" (CW)

Outstanding Writing in a Dramatic Series

Shonda Rhimes and Krista Vernoff -- "Grey's Anatomy: A Change is Gonna Come" (ABC)

Outstanding Writing in a Motion Picture (Theatrical or Television)

Michael Genet and Rick Famuyiwa -- "Talk To Me" (Focus Features)

DIRECTING CATEGORIES

Outstanding Directing in a Comedy Series

Ken Whittingham -- "The Office: Phyllis's Wedding" (NBC)

Outstanding Directing in a Dramatic Series

Seith Mann -- "Friday Night Lights: Are You Ready For Friday Night?" (NBC)

Outstanding Directing in a Motion Picture (Theatrical or Television)

Kasi Lemmons -- "Talk To Me" (Focus Features)

ALSO:

Image Awards Hall of Fame Inductee: Stevie Wonder

Vanguard Award: Aretha Franklin

Chariman's Award: Ruby Dee

Diva Alert: Mariah, Janet CDs Previewed

Friday, February 15, 2008

By Roger Friedman

Alicia Keys’ long run at the top of the charts is about to be threatened.

On Thursday I spent more than an hour at Island/DefJam Records previewing the new CDs from Janet Jackson and Mariah Carey. Each is highly anticipated, and with good reason. They’re pretty damn good.

Carey’s CD, "E=MC2," probably is the more anticipated if only because her prior release, "Emancipation of Mimi," was such a phenomenal success. Buoyed by several hits including "We Belong Together" and "Don’t Forget About Us," "Emancipation" spent months on the charts and won a number of Grammys. It re-established Mariah as a superstar after her failed "Glitter" project and subsequent "Charmbracelet."

"E=MC2" (a play on the previous album’s title) should have a pretty big impact when it hits the world on April 15. Already the single "Touch My Body," with its refrain, "I will hunt you down," has taken off on the radio. It doesn’t hurt that it bears a resemblance to "We Belong Together." But the new single is catchy in its own right and has an independent hook designed to be addictive.

I heard eight other tracks on Thursday, but since the album isn’t sequenced I can’t tell you where they fall in order. In the order I enjoyed them came first "Bye, Bye," a powerful ballad that should be a single and probably will close the album. It’s a natural singalong in concert, too, which could make it not only wildly popular but a possible Grammy contender next year. Look out.

The next most commercial number is "Thanks for Nothing," a witty and rueful tune with another great melody, courtesy of Jermaine Dupri and Carey. As on "Bye Bye," Carey’s vocals are superb. Her infamous eight-octave range has suffered a little wear and tear over the years, but Carey still can flutter from great highs to mellow lows like no one else.

Some other highlights included "Cruise Control," featuring Damian Marley with a driving reggae subtext; "Migrate" with T-Pain, which should be a single and perhaps the album’s kick-off track; "Last Kiss," with Dupri on vocals; a breathy disco dance hit called "I’m That Chick"; and out-and-out pop song "Loving You a Long Time," which samples DeBarge’s "Stay with Me" and recalls the melodic riff of the "Hill Street Blues" theme music.

From track to track I kept thinking that Carey and her crew have put a lot of work into making "E=MC2" not just a hit, but a sustainable success. There’s enough in the package that it will last as long as "Emancipation," spinning off singles, remixes and videos.

Sparks to Fly on Alicia Keys' Tour

E!

Alicia Keys wants to follow no one but Jordin Sparks.

The reigning American Idol champion has signed on to open for Keys on the platinum-selling chanteuse's upcoming As I Am tour, in support of the Grammy-winning album of the same name.

Their two-month North American road trip kicks off Apr. 19 in Hampton, Virginia, and will touch down in 25 major U.S. cities, Toronto and Montreal before winding up June 18 at New York's Madison Square Garden.

Although Sparks' self-titled first album fizzled on impact, selling a disappointing 119,000 copies its first week out to give her the weakest chart debut for an Idol winner (10th place), the 18-year-old songbird from Glendale, Arizona, continues to charm with her live appearances.

Sparks, the daughter of former pro football player Phillippi Sparks, performed the national anthem before a hometown crowd—and more than 97 million at-home viewers—at Glendale's University of Phoenix Stadium on Super Bowl Sunday, and she's scheduled to take the stage this weekend in New Orleans as part of NBA All-Star Weekend.

Her big-game credentials in place, Sparks will also head off on tour fresh from being named Outstanding New Artist Thursday at the 39th NAACP Image Awards.

Keys, a four-time winner at the Image Awards and a pregame performer at the Super Bowl, scored two Grammys on Sunday, Best R&B Vocal Performance and Song for "No One," to go along with the other nine she's scooped up over the years.

Panachereport.com

R&B star Alicia Keys has been forced to axe two U.K. concerts on her doctor's orders, after falling ill with a bout of laryngitis.

Keys Talks About Her Conspiracy Theories

NEW YORK (AP) — There's another side to Alicia Keys: conspiracy theorist. The Grammy-winning singer-songwriter tells Blender magazine: "`Gangsta rap' was a ploy to convince black people to kill each other. `Gangsta rap' didn't exist."

Keys, 27, said she's read several Black Panther autobiographies and wears a gold AK-47 pendant around her neck "to symbolize strength, power and killing 'em dead," according to an interview in the magazine's May issue, on newsstands Tuesday.

Another of her theories: That the bicoastal feud between slain rappers Tupac Shakur and Notorious B.I.G. was fueled "by the government and the media, to stop another great black leader from existing."

Keys' AK-47 jewelry came as a surprise to her mother, who is quoted as telling Blender: "She wears what? That doesn't sound like Alicia." Keys' publicist, Theola Borden, said Keys was on vacation and unavailable for comment.

Though she's known for her romantic tunes, she told Blender that she wants to write more political songs. If black leaders such as the late Black Panther Huey Newton "had the outlets our musicians have today, it'd be global. I have to figure out a way to do it myself," she said.

The multiplatinum songstress behind the hits "Fallin'" and "No One" most recently had success with her latest CD, "As I Am," which sold millions.

Alicia Keys Comments On Beyonce & Jay-Z's Nuptials

Singer/songwriter Alicia Keys has publicly congratulated rapper Jay-Z and his new wife Beyonce Knowles, who were married in a top-secret ceremony last week.

Although the couple's representatives have yet to confirm the wedding took place, it has been reported Jay-Z, real name Shawn Carter, and Knowles exchanged vows on Friday evening and then threw a lavish party at the rapper's TriBeCa apartment in New York.

And Keys couldn't be happier for the newlyweds.

She tells OK! magazine, "All the best wishes possible, and I think that love is beautiful and when you love somebody, just let it shine and shine bright."

Keys is the second star to extend warm wishes to the couple. Mary J. Blige offered her congratulations to Jay-Z, her current tourmate, at a concert on Saturday, before launching into her hit song "You're All I Need."

Source: starpulse

Keys Slams Journalists For Slack Coverage Of Aids In Africa

Singer ALICIA KEYS has slammed journalists for choosing to focus on the antics of troubled celebrities rather than on more serious world issues.

The Fallin' hitmaker joined an impressive line-up including Bono, Brad Pitt and Mariah Carey on Wednesday night (09Apr08) as part of charity telethon special Idol Gives Back.

The two-hour programme aimed to raise $100 million (GBP50 million) for charities including Children's Defense Fund, The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, Make It Right and Save the Children.

In a clip filmed during a recent trip to Africa, Keys moaned of media outlets, "If AIDS got half of the attention that the media gives to celebrity dramas, this issue would be well on its way to being solved."

Serving as a Global Ambassador for AIDS charity Keep the Child Alive, Keys met with families riddled by the growing pandemic during her visit, encouraging viewers to make a donation as she noted, "It's crazy... how you can change the lives of people forever for the price of a pair of shoes."

Source: contactmusic

Alicia Keys Declares: "I'm Discovering My Sexual Side"

Alicia Keys has the birds and the bees on her brain.

The singer, 28, tells Blender that she's hit the studio and has recorded her "most sexual song yet.

"I'm discovering my sexual side," she says. "I recorded this song ... it's so sensual, it moves you."

So sensual, her manager even told her, "We do not record songs like this!"

Dubbing herself "the best wall builder that ever lived," Keys also opened up about a breakdown she had following her fast rise to fame.

"I was hanging off the edge of a cliff," she says. "Something had to give, or I was gonna lose my mind."

Keys' depression resulted in "dark, weird" music, her manager says.

Now the singer says she wears a gold AK-47 pendant around her neck "to symbolize strength, power and killing 'em dead."

Source :Us Weekly

Keys Upset Disappointed By Blender Article Quotes

ALICIA KEYS has taken to the airwaves to "clarify statements" she made about gangsta rap in men's magazine Blender.

In the new article, the R+B star sensationally claims gangsta rap was "a ploy to convince black people to kill each other... by the government."

But, after reading the piece in the new issue of Blender, Keys insists her comments were "misinterpreted" and she's "disappointed" with the "madness" surrounding the article.

Speaking on Los Angeles DJ Ryan Seacrest's radio show on Tuesday morning (15Apr08), Keys explained, "I feel that I wasn't a hundred per cent clear on what I was saying and so, because of that, it got slightly misinterpreted, and somehow it got misinterpreted that I was saying that the government was creating gangsta rap - and that's not what I was saying.

"What I was saying was that the term gangsta rap was so over sloganised during that time... That's what I was trying to talk about.

"In so many ways, everyday people, as well as the government, could have really done so much more to sorta (sic) obliterate and eradicate the things that were going on in the communities at that time that forced the artists to discuss and talk about, so strongly, what they saw, what they lived with.

"I wasn't saying that I'm a conspiracy theorist, and I wasn't saying that I'm anti-anyone because anybody who knows my character knows that I'm a very positive person... My only aim is to uplift people and spread love.

"You're in an interview for half and hour, 45 minutes... and you're talking about these different thoughts and ideas and I think... there's a way that I didn't exactly clarify what I meant to the point where he (the journalist) could misinterpret it.

"I don't regret doing this interview; overall it was a great article. It was merely a line or two that has provoked all of this madness. I regret that a negative spin has been put (on it)."

Alicia Keys says comments to magazine were 'misrepresented'

Alicia Keys says she's not a conspiracy theorist. In a statement issued Tuesday, Keys said she was clarifying "comments that were made during my recent Blender magazine interview since they have been misrepresented."

According to an interview in the magazine's May issue, the 27-year-old singer says: "`Gangsta rap' was a ploy to convince black people to kill each other. `Gangsta rap' didn't exist." She also is quoted as saying that she wears a gold AK-47 pendant around her neck "to symbolize strength, power and killing 'em dead."

"We stand by our story," Blender spokeswoman Kate Cafaro told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

"My comments about `gangsta rap' were in no way trying to suggest that the government is responsible for creating this genre of rap music," Keys said in a statement issued by J Records. "The point that I was trying to make was that the term was oversloganized by some of the media causing reactions that were not always positive. Many of the `gangsta rap' lyrics articulate the problems of the artists' experiences and I think all of us, including our leaders, could be doing more to address these problems including drugs, gang violence, crime, and other related social issues."

As for the AK-47 remark, Keys said Tuesday that AK-47 is a nickname given to her by friends "as an acronym for Alicia Keys and a metaphor for wowing people with my music and performances, `killing 'em dead' on stage. The reference was in no way meant to have a literal, political or negative connotation."

When AP attempted to reach Keys last week about the Blender interview, her publicist, Theola Borden, said the singer was on vacation and unavailable for comment.

The multiplatinum star behind the hits "Fallin'" and "No One" most recently had success with her latest CD, "As I Am," which has sold 3.4 million copies, according to Nielsen Soundscan.

___

Copyright © 2008 The Associated Press

Keys To Marry?

ALICIA KEYS will marry her music producer boyfriend KERRY 'KRUCIAL' BROTHERS in New York this summer (08), according to reports.

American magazine Star claims the couple has booked Oheka Castle on Long Island for a ceremony on Independence Day - 4 July (08).

Bosses at the 32-bedroom French-style chateau have confirmed a wedding will take place that weekend, but have refused to reveal the identity of the bride and groom.

Keys and Brothers have never spoken openly about their relationship. They have been songwriting partners for years, co-owning the KrucialKeys production company and New York's Oven Recording Studios.

A representative for the R+B star has yet to confirm or deny the wedding reports.