Sign in to follow this  
princess

Trouble Searching?

Anyone else having trouble searching? I did a couple of searches today for threads that I know exisit and had some probs pulling them up. I know it works much better if you search the whole word instead of part of a word, but still.... <_<

I know that the board is backed up and indexed once a week (and indexing should help with search feature speed/reliability), but I may do some tweaking in the next few days if others are having trouble too.

Anyone else having trouble searching? I did a couple of searches today for threads that I know exisit and had some probs pulling them up. I know it works much better if you search the whole word instead of part of a word, but still.... <_<

I know that the board is backed up and indexed once a week (and indexing should help with search feature speed/reliability), but I may do some tweaking in the next few days if others are having trouble too.

I don't know if this is considered "trouble" but say for example that I want to search the "General Chatter" forum for "Leonardo DiCaprio". I plug that in and get pages and pages of celebs that have nothing to do with him and have to sift through those to see if his thread is there. Is that normal?

I don't know if this is considered "trouble" but say for example that I want to search the "General Chatter" forum for "Leonardo DiCaprio". I plug that in and get pages and pages of celebs that have nothing to do with him and have to sift through those to see if his thread is there. Is that normal?

Yes, in the diagram below option E you're telling it to search every time he shows up within a thread. Change it to "search titles only" only and you'll just get his one thread where he's mentioned in the titlte of the thread, not within the body.

Posted Image

Thanks. Last night, before I posted the Liam Neeson and Natasha Richardson news (and started a new thread for them), I had done a search (that wasn't titles only) and got 40 pages of results! There's no way that Liam Neeson was mentioned in all 40 pages, but I did find that when I did a search of the page for "Liam", every "William or Williams" came up in the search.

I'll try the "search titles" next time!