fykeylicious

Genesis

GENESIS REBORN

1 October 2006

Veteran rockers turn it on again

IT'S been 10 long years, but Genesis are reforming for a money-spinning tour.

I can reveal that the band - Phil Collins, 55, Mike Rutherford, 56 tomorrow, and Tony Banks, 56, - will reunite next year for a massive jaunt around Europe and the US.

In their time, Genesis sold more than 130 million albums and are still one of the Top 30 biggest selling music acts of all time.

Last night a source revealed: "Genesis were huge in Britain and America and there remains a huge amount of affection for them. And the tour is likely to make them millions."

Phil split from his third wife, Swiss-born Orianne Cevey, in March after seven years of marriage. Since then, the star - believed to be worth £115 million - has been living in New York and has been linked to US newsreader Dana Tyler. A friend said: "The band really want to get it on again.

They always remained friends and just thought it was time to begin again, especially since Phil's break-up with Orianne has left him with time on his hands."

Genesis were formed by Rutherford, Banks and original singer Peter Gabriel at Charterhouse public school in the 1960s. They were a cult success in the 70s, but hit the big time after Gabriel went solo in 1975 and Collins, already the drummer, replaced him as lead singer. The new line-up sold out huge tours and scored numerous hits with songs like Turn It On Again, I Can't Dance and Invisible Touch.

When Collins left to concentrate on his solo hits in 1996 the other two struggled on with new singer Ray Wilson for two years with little success before announcing an "indefinite hiatus".

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/showbiz/radar/

Peter Gabriel won't reteam with Genesis for hall of fame night

Peter Gabriel has stunned the music world by announcing he won't be joining his former Genesis bandmates onstage for the group's Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction in March.

In fact, the "Sledgehammer" hitmaker isn't sure he'll even attend the ceremony in New York.

Fans were hoping the induction would lead to a reunion for the band's original line-up, but Gabriel insists he has no plans of teaming up with Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks, who reformed as Genesis in 2008 for a world tour.

Gabriel tells Rolling Stone magazine, "I'm definitely not going to sing. I learned at our last reunion (in 1982) that you can't just get up there. You have to rehearse."

And his upcoming European tour plans might rule out an appearance: "I'm trying to find a way to do it... If I can work it out, I'll go."

The rocker refuses to completely rule out a reunion in the future, but admits another get together seems highly unlikely.

He adds, "I always describe it as going back to school, since this was a school group for me. It's a fun place to visit and see your old friends, but it's not a place you want to live. Phil (Collins) has had trouble with his wrists and his back, so it's pretty unlikely."

source: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate...7#ixzz0dXvMwv6n

with bands I try to figure out just who is the writing power behind them...

am I wrong in thinking the writing genius behind Genesis... is Mike Rutherford ?