Sign in to follow this  
Cutielb99

Leona Lewis

'X' marks a Cowell coup

Finale of realtiy show draws record-breaking numbers

By STEVE CLARKE, Variety

LONDON -- Saturday's finale of ITV reality talent skein "The X Factor" drew a record-breaking 12.6 million viewers, peaking with a 44% share.

But the real winner was its creator and judge, Simon Cowell, who has inked a £20 million ($38 million), three-year exclusive deal with ITV that gives the broadcaster first option on his new shows. The deal allows Cowell to continue as a judge on Fox's "American Idol."

His next ITV project, "Britain's Got Talent," is a British version of NBC's "America's Got Talent."

"The X Factor" was won by London office worker Leona Lewis. Her debut single, "A Moment Like This," sold 50,000 downloads in Blighty within 30 minutes of release.

3amgirls

LEONA'S £5MILLION US DEAL

X-FACTOR WINNER TELLS OF DEAL JOY

JUST two months after storming to victory in X Factor, Leona Lewis is poised to conquer America.

The 21-year-old pop sensation said last night that she has clinched a £5million record deal which will make her famous across the Atlantic.

London-born Leona has been signed up by Clive Davis - the 74-year-old svengali who turned Whitney Houston into a global superstar, and who is a mentor to Alicia Keys and Justin Timberlake.

The mega-bucks deal with Davis's J Records will see the former receptionist record five albums for worldwide release.

Leona celebrated sealing the deal by wowing the cream of the US record industry at a flashy showcase - put together by Davis - at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles on Wednesday.

A delighted Leona said: "It's great news. I am just overwhelmed. I can't believe everything has happened so fast, from winning X Factor to coming to LA.

"It's everything I ever dreamed of - and more."

Simon Cowell, who is guiding her career, added: "Leona is the best X Factor contestant ever...

"We'll do everything in our power to make her an international star. I've always said that she is the next Whitney Houston and I believe it."

Others believed him too once they'd been blown away by Leona's amazing performance.

After being personally introduced to many US movers and shakers - including legendary producers Babyface, Stargate, Jimmy Jam and Max Martin - Leona got up on stage and belted out Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word, Over The Rainbow and Summertime. All the tracks had been carefully selected by her, Cowell and Davis.

One American music exec commented: "It's like hearing the love child of Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey."

A record industry source tells us: "Leona showed the world's best what she is made of and they loved it. International producers are now falling over themselves to persuade her to work with them.

"The plan is to take time and produce an album which has global reach - and Leona's first album is going to be worth waiting for."

Leona, who is up for a gong for Best Single at next week's Brits, will start recording her debut album in America in May. Cowell hopes it will be in the shops as early as September. Before then, she will be busy completing the X Factor tour in March and April.

Still, it's hardly surprising Leona's creating such a buzz. Since winning ITV's X Factor in December she's already broken three world records.

She became the fastest-selling female artist of all time after her single A Moment Like This sold 571,253 copies in its first week. The song is also the fastest-selling download after 50,000 copies were snapped up in the first half hour.

And it was also the biggest selling download in a week. Phew! Now there's just no holding her back. We say, go girl!

It's everything I ever dreamed ..and more

LEONA'S GOT THE HRH FACTOR

15/03/2007

3am

THE X Factor's in the bag, now Leona Lewis has got the HRH factor.

Prince Charles asked her to sing at his Prince's Trust Celebrate Success Awards today in front of celebs including Sharon and Kelly Osbourne.

She will wear Jimmy Choo shoes for the gig, her first since X Factor at Christmas.

Leona Lewis No Mariah

Mariah Carey says Leona Lewis doesn't sound like her.

The chart-topping singer insists she "didn't really hear any similarity" between Leona's music and her own, and claims there will never be a "new" Mariah.

She said: "Honestly, there has been so many, 'This is the new her,' and I'm like, 'OK, show me the new her. Can she come and work for me and be my double?' "

"And I'm not particular talking about this girl Leona, because I only heard her once and I didn't really hear a true similarity, particularly in the style of music.

"It is what it is and critics have compared me to so many people who are not really singers, and they're certainly not writers."

Mariah says if she spent her time worrying about her chart rivals it would depress her.

She added to the Observer Music Monthly magazine: "If I was to focus on the comparisons and really dwell on that, it would bring me down so I just try to pray that I lose the sprit of jealousy, it's not a good one - envy is a really powerful thing."

Leona's debut LP 'Spirit' hit the number one spot in America last week.

Source :people.monstersandcritics.com

Mariah's right...I mean Leona hasn't been married to a record producer nor been to a psychiatric hospital...YET. :D

Leona Lewis' US Fitness

Leona Lewis has been told to shape up if she wants lasting success in the US.

The 'Bleeding Love' singer, who recently topped The Billboard album and singles charts, reportedly needs a "sexier" image so her team have hired Mariah Carey's personal trainer.

A source told Britain's The Sun newspaper: "Leona has done brilliantly in the US. But some of her team think she needs to be a bit sexier if she wants to have the longevity of female artists like Mariah Carey, Janet Jackson or Madonna. Her looks needs to be more polished.

"They think that having Leona work with Mariah's trainer Patricia Gay would be a treat for her because she adores Mariah."

Leona, 23, will reportedly fly to the Caribbean for "intensive sessions" with Patricia to help get her into shape.

Mariah recently revealed she regularly flies Patricia - who helped Mariah shed around 30lbs - from St. Barts to her New York apartment for their training.

The 'Touch My Body' star has insisted she can't see any similarities between Leona's music and her own and claims there will never be a "new" Mariah.

She said: "Honestly, there has been so many, 'This is the new her,' and I'm like, 'OK, show me the new her. And I'm not particularly talking about this girl Leona, because I only heard her once and I didn't really hear a true similarity, particularly in the style of music."

Source: femalefirst

Leona Lewis Licked By Lil Wayne's 'Lollipop'

Rapper Lil Wayne has scored his first U.S. number one on the Billboard Hot 100 after toppling Leona Lewis. Lil Wayne's "Lollipop" switches places with Lewis' "Bleeding Love" on the new countdown.

Ailing Jordin Sparks' "No Air" duet with Chris Brown, Usher's "Love in This Club" and Mariah Carey's record-breaking 18th number one hit "Touch My Body" all hold firm at numbers three, four and five respectively.

Carey also scores the new chart's highest debut - "Bye Bye" enters the Hot 100 at 23. A third Carey hit from her new number one album E=MC2, "Migrate," also enters the chart at 92.

Lewis To Launch Vegan Fashion Line

British pop star LEONA LEWIS is reportedly in talks to launch a vegan fashion line - to promote the ethical treatment of animals.

The singer always wears non-leather shoes and maintains a vegetarian lifestyle.

But now Lewis is rumoured to be launching her own clothing range full of ethically sourced products to give fellow vegans more of a choice when stocking their wardrobes.

A source tells British magazine Hello, "She’s always adored animals since she was a little girl and has been a vegetarian since the age of 12.

"The reason she doesn’t wear diamonds is because she doesn’t know how they have been sourced.

"It was for this reason that she is determined to set up her own ethical fashion range and sell the goods at high street prices."

Source: pr-inside

Leona Lewis To Pen Autobiography

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leona Lewis has revealed that she is writing an autobiography.

The singer has signed a lucrative deal with publisher Hodder & Stoughton to release a book chronicling her rise to fame.

The autobiography will see Lewis recall her early years in Hackney and her success after taking part in The X Factor. It will be accompanied by over 100 pictures by acclaimed photographer Dean Freeman, who worked on David Beckham's bestselling book My World.

"The last two years have been an unbelievable experience for me," Lewis said.

"So to have it documented in pictures and to be able to tell people in my own words how it feels means a lot to me.

"I know the book will be full of special moments and I’m already having a brilliant time putting it together."

Lewis's editor Fenella Bates added that she is thrilled to be working with the "global superstar".

"This will be the first time Leona tells her story of how The X Factor launched her from waitressing in Pizza Hut in Hackney to stardom on both sides of the Atlantic," she said.

"It is a real-life fairytale and every girl’s dream. Her second album will be released just after publication - the timing for the book couldn’t be better. 2009 will be Leona’s year."

Source: digitalspy.co.uk

Lewis Not Writing Autobiography

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leona Lewis has denied claims she is set to pen her memoirs - instead revealing she's putting together a picture book.

It was recently reported the Bleeding Love hitmaker, 23, had inked a megabucks deal with publishers Hodder & Stoughton that would see her publish an autobiography charting her rise from Pizza Hut waitress to global star.

But Leona has set the record straight, telling the Associated Press, "I'm doing a picture book, a book in pictures. It's kind of like, I got a photographer to kind of follow me everywhere I went, and I've got pictures of everything. I've just captured everything. I'm a big fan of photography and I think you know a picture speaks a thousand words.

"The one [picture] in my mind that stands out in my life and I think I'll remember forever is when I sang at the Olympics. That's the one moment where I think to myself that's a s many people I think it was like billions of people that were watching at that one moment and that will never happen again. Like so many people watching, me being able to perform and do what I love and share that with so many people will never happen again."

Source: showbizspy.com

Lewis "Shaken" After Assault At Signing

A representative for Leona Lewis has said that the star is "understandably shaken" after being assaulted at a book signing earlier today.

The 24-year-old was signing copies of her new autobiography Dreams at Waterstones in Piccadilly, London when a man "punched her" in the face. Scotland Yard has since confirmed that officers have arrested the attacker.

"Leona was the victim of an unprovoked attack this afternoon at her book signing," her spokesman Russell Eslamifar said. "The police were called immediately and medical attention has been sought.

"Leona is understandably shaken and apologises to the fans she was unable to meet and complete signings."

An eyewitness told BBC News that his sibling saw the episode take place, saying: "My brother saw the whole incident. [The attacker] walked up there with the book, she signed it and as she looked up, he just punched her. [My brother] actually heard the impact."

Another fan described the scene further, adding: "She was running out with her hand over her eye and I just saw a man on the floor. Suddenly the security all jumped on him and they were trying to pull him out and he was just laughing, he thought it was funny."

A spokesperson for Waterstones said: "We take security at our book signings extremely seriously and this is the first time anything of this nature has happened.

"We would like to thank Leona for her professionalism and we are extremely sad that this event was ruined for her, and her fans, many of whom queued from the early hours of the morning to meet her."

The singer was to appear on The One Show on Wednesday night. However, her rep confirmed that she has now been replaced by BBC sports host Gabby Logan.

Source digitalspy.co.uk

Cops: Leona Lewis Attacker Has Mental Issues

Here's a shocker -- cops say the guy arrested for slapping pop singer Leona Lewis in the face yesterday may not be right in the head.

Officials at Scotland Yard claim they just charged 29-year-old Peter Kowalczyk with common assault and "sectioned" him under the mental health act -- which means he's being held so doctors can evaluate him.

As TMZ previously reported, Lewis was taken to the hospital Wednesday as a precaution after the attack at a book signing in London.

As of now, Peter is due back in court October 26.

Source TMZ

Poor Leona! I can't believe she got assaulted at a book signing! Who does that?!

Cops: Leona Lewis Attacker Has Mental Issues

Here's a shocker -- cops say the guy arrested for slapping pop singer Leona Lewis in the face yesterday may not be right in the head.

Officials at Scotland Yard claim they just charged 29-year-old Peter Kowalczyk with common assault and "sectioned" him under the mental health act -- which means he's being held so doctors can evaluate him.

As TMZ previously reported, Lewis was taken to the hospital Wednesday as a precaution after the attack at a book signing in London.

As of now, Peter is due back in court October 26.

Source TMZ

Leona Lewis Had Justin Crush

Leona Lewis had a crush on Justin Timberlake.

The British singer has confessed she was attracted to the 'SexyBack' star for a long time, but her crush went away once she met him.

Leona - who worked with Justin on new track 'Don't Let Me Down', which appears on her upcoming album 'Echo' - said: "I had a big thing for Justin before I worked with him, but I lose my crush when I meet people. Which is probably good news for my boyfriend Lou!"

The 24-year-old pop star - who is in a long-term relationship with Lou Al-Chamaa - has also revealed she turned down the chance to kiss 'Gossip Girl' heartthrob Chace Crawford in the video for her single 'I Will Be'.

She said in an interview with the latest edition of Sugar magazine: "They wanted me and Chace to kiss in the 'I Will Be' video. But I said no way. I'd just have been too embarrassed, he's my friend! He's so beautiful, I mean, look at him - he could be a girl. He'd be a really pretty girl. But I just don't think of him like that. And it wouldn't be fair to Lou to kiss other guys."

Source monstersandcritics.com

'Bleeding Love' is most romantic song

Leona Lewis' hit track "Bleeding Love" has been voted the most popular love song of all time in a new poll.

The single saw off competition from Whitney Houston's 1992 version of "I Will Always Love You" and Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On," which scored second and third places respectively.

The Valentine's Day survey by PRS For Music also compiled a list of anti-love songs ahead of the romantic occasion, putting Katy Perry's 2008 hit "Hot n Cold" in first place. "Survivor" by Destiny's Child was second and U2's ballad "With Or Without You" came in third.

source: http://www.sfgate.com

Leona Lewis bans foie gras at Brit Awards

Leona Lewis has already triumphed at the upcoming 2010 Brit Awards - after successfully convincing organizers to take foie gras off the event's menu.

The animal lover was furious after learning the controversial French delicacy would be served at the London ceremony on Tuesday.

However, bosses agreed to take the dish - made from the livers of fattened ducks - off the menu after the "Bleeding Love" hitmaker threatened to boycott the show.

And Lewis, who is nominated for Best British Female Solo Artist, is delighted with the outcome.

In a series of posts on her Twitter.com page, she writes, "I was outraged to hear that the Brit Awards were planning to serve foie gras at the ceremony. They have now removed it from the menu, well done!

"In case you didn't know, foie gras is duck that is forced fed in a sickening cruel process and is banned in the U.K.

"The Brits menu sadly won't be 'cruelty free', however it is still a major victory & they are taking an ethical stance! Well done and thank you."

Leona Lewis bans foie gras at Brit Awards

Leona Lewis has already triumphed at the upcoming 2010 Brit Awards - after successfully convincing organizers to take foie gras off the event's menu.

The animal lover was furious after learning the controversial French delicacy would be served at the London ceremony on Tuesday.

However, bosses agreed to take the dish - made from the livers of fattened ducks - off the menu after the "Bleeding Love" hitmaker threatened to boycott the show.

And Lewis, who is nominated for Best British Female Solo Artist, is delighted with the outcome.

In a series of posts on her Twitter.com page, she writes, "I was outraged to hear that the Brit Awards were planning to serve foie gras at the ceremony. They have now removed it from the menu, well done!

"In case you didn't know, foie gras is duck that is forced fed in a sickening cruel process and is banned in the U.K.

"The Brits menu sadly won't be 'cruelty free', however it is still a major victory & they are taking an ethical stance! Well done and thank you."

Oh please :rolleyes: , they are only taking an "ethical stance" because you forced the point with a temper tantrum. Not quite the same as doing it because they think it's the right thing to do.