Sign in to follow this  
princess

Lost Discussion

Anyone seen the pilot to this one?? Thoughts??

Kristin of E!

From aminah: I am sooo bored with television right now. Is anything good at all coming our way soon?

Forgive me, aminah, I just noticed this in the chat room and plucked it out for my own personal satisfaction, because I want to tell you that I just saw Lost. Does that excite you as much as it excited me? I finally managed to get my hands on a copy and watched it over the weekend, and, you guys, I have to tell you, it rocks. I felt like I watched the best movie of the year...and it was on my li'l ol' TV screen. The cast is excellent (Matthew Fox returns to TV!), the setting is stunning (it was shot on location in Hawaii), but most of all, it has that unbelievable character development we've come to expect from JJ Abrams (the creator of Alias, Felicity). It has a little bit of everything and, I'm assuming, could have the broadest appeal of any of his shows thus far.

From wendylee: What is Lost about? Is Greg Grunberg in it?

Yes, he is. He only guests in the first episode and is largely unrecognizable because of his injuries. Lost is about plane-crash survivors who are stranded on an island which has a few mysteries--scary, pulse-pounding mysteries. (I jumped off my cushions a few times.) It's a thriller-medical-cop-relationship drama. Like I said, a little bit of everything. Foxy plays a doctor, and his love interest is a newcomer who could be one of the breakout stars of the season. Oh, and also, Roswell fans, Tess is back. Emilie de Ravin plays one of the survivors.

From aliasurvivor: So, does that mean that Greg Grunberg is leaving Alias?

Eventually, yes, but not for Lost--he's doing Bounty Hunter, a midseason show. He is only in the first ep of Lost, but it's a very memorable scene.

From bluegirllo: I can't wait for Lost!

Whee! That makes three of us--my kitty loved it, too.

From vaughnfan03: Did you know that Lost is the most expensive pilot ever filmed? I guess whichever network is backing JJ has real faith in him.

I can only tell you this: It looks like the most expensive pilot ever filmed.

I've seen the ads - looks good. But I did read of a review somewhere of the pilot and they said it wasn't any good. I'll still give it a try.

TV Guide.com Press Tour Diary: Day Fourby Michael AusielloIt's the second and final day of ABC's press tour pageant and the roster includes sessions for the Mel Gibson-produced family sitcom Complete Savages, J.J. Abrams' castaway thriller Lost and the sex-crazed teen soap life as we know it, co-starring Kelly Osbourne . Speaking of soap, I just found out that the miniature bathroom accessories I get for free in my hotel room sell for big bucks downstairs in the gift shop. I've got two words for you: Stocking stuffers. But enough about that. Let's get to the real point of this trip (wink, wink)...10:15 Lost 's exec producer, J.J. Abrams, insists that the mysterious monster terrorizing the castaways in the two-hour pilot will in "no way be the focus of the show."10:16 Abrams continues justifying the show's Jurassic Park-esque subplot.10:21 Abrams finishes justifying the show's Jurassic Park-esque subplot, which, BTW, is one of my favorite parts of Lost.10:22 Lost clue No.1: The creature "is not a dinosaur," Abrams reveals.10:45 Lost clue No. 2: The island which the plane crash survivors are stranded on is located on the planet Earth, Abrams confirms.10:51 And now the Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis? award for the least thought-out question of the day goes to (drumroll please) the female reporter who asked Abrams: "The character Emily is eight months pregnant. She's only got a month to go... Is there going to be something that a baby... a baby is born?" That's going to be a tough one to beat. Let's have a big round of applause for our winner.

filmjerk.com?Lost? The Pilot Episode Part 1Written 08-09-2004 by TheRealDickHollywoodAt the recent San Diego Comic-Con, I made my way to a showing of ?Lost?, part one of a two-part Pilot Episode. Created by J.J. Abrams (Felicity and Alias) along with the writing talents of Damon Lindelof (Crossing Jordan) and David Fury (Angel), ?Lost? tells the tale of 48 plane crash survivors thrown together on a Pacific island. Starring; Evangeline Lilly, Ian Somerhalder (Smallville), Dominic Monaghan(Lord of the Rings), Jorge Garcia, Maggie Grace, Malcolm David Kelley, Naveen Andrews, Harold Perrineau, Josh Holloway, Matthew Fox (Party of Five, Haunted), Terry O'Quinn (Alias), Daniel Dae Kim (Angel, 24, ER), Yunjin Kim. Lost throws together a nice ensemble of characters whom soon discover that they are not alone on this island. What actually is in the jungle just beyond the safety of the beach?Matthew Fox plays Jack a Medical Doctor who jumps right into the Leader role. Waking up on his back in the middle of a jungle, Jack is dazed and confused. He realizes as he wanders to the beach that he has been in plane crash and there are many injured people that need attending to. Rounding up some people to help him with the wounded and getting them safely away from the plane that continues to burn and fall apart. When things are more under control he decides to set out the in the morning to try and find the Cock Pit to radio for some help. Kate (Evangeline Lilly) and Charlie (Dominic Monaghan) decide to go with him. The night before, the survivors hear some very strange unexplained noises, and now the three have a frightening close encounter with some unknown creature in the jungle.A very tense first hour of exceptional TV, leaving me wanting more. Getting to know these characters should prove to be interesting and fun. Many of them have some dark secrets that will unfold throughout the season. So many dramatic situations to explore and discover while watching these individuals adapt and except the situation that they have been literally dropped into. Throw in the element of strange and bizarre creatures roaming the jungle looking for their next meal and you got an E Ticket thrill ride. I was hooked from the very first frame to the last cliffhanger. With moments of pure spine chilling fear and anxiety during the plane crash sequences to the much, dare I say needed commercial breaks, just to catch my breath and calm down. If the writers are able to sustain this level of intensity, drama and intrigue the entire season, Lost will be well on its way to becoming a bona fide cult hit.On a side note; there was a panel with some of the Actors and Writer/Producer Damon Lindelof. The crowd was mad Hobbit crazy for Dominic Monaghan and many of the questions were directed towards him. Not wanting to give too much of the plot away, they remained tight-lipped and did not reveal too much of the plot. In fact the actors were told to keep their personal character back-stories to themselves, so when secrets are revealed on the show, they would have honest reactions to them. Dominic who plays Charlie did mentioned that he one of the reasons he liked this role of a semi-known rock star with a drug problem, was to distance himself from the good guy Merry the Hobbit image that he now has. Damon assured the crowd that the creatures have nothing to do with dinosaurs and can all be explained in a logical way.Pilot Episode: Part One airs Wednesday September 22, 2004. Check your local listings for airtimes.Final Grade: W for Wow!

Guest QueenofGondor

It does look pretty interesting. I heard that one of the stars from 'TLOTR' is in it, I believe it's Dominick Monaghan(sorry if the name is spelled incorrect) :unsure: Correct me if I'm wrong with this info.

I had a chance to see a sneak peak of this show at Comic Con but I missed it. :( Everyone I talked to that saw the peak said it looked great though!

Kristin of E!Five New Fall Shows You Are Going to Love!#1 Choice:Lost (ABC)Wed.; premieres Sept. 22What It's About: Matthew Fox. Sweaty and sexy.Oh, sorry. Did you want me to say more? Well, this is the show everyone's been raving about, a small-screen series that looks and feels like a big-screen feature. It centers around plane-crash survivors who are stranded on a deserted island--including Matthew Fox (Party of Five) and the girl I'm expecting to be the biggest breakout star of the season: Evangeline Lilly.What You Need to Know: Lost is from JJ Abrams, the mastermind behind Felicity and Alias, who directed such a heart-pounding, compelling pilot for Lost--reportedly the most expensive pilot in TV history!--that it scored him a gig directing an itty-bitty movie you may have heard of: Mission: Impossible 3.And speaking of good people...did I mention how you will love Evangeline Lilly? She came from nowhere--okay, Vancouver really, but hadn't done a single oncamera role before Lost. By scoring the role of a lifetime as Matthew Fox's leading lady, she's following in the footsteps of Keri Russell and Jennifer Garner as JJ Abrams' next female protégé. It'd be easy to hate her, except she's oozing with charm and humility."Getting this part has changed my world, my life's upside down," Evangeline told me at an ABC party. "At times, it's exciting, and, at [other] times, scary. But the only emotion I can define that has never changed is gratitude. I know I'm out of my league." You'll know what a joke that is when you see it.Bottom Line: Lost is the best new show of the season.

Kristin of E!You can see a few highlights of both premieres--Hawaii and Lost--in my E! News Live segment from Wednesday by clicking here.

Some minor spoilers about characters on the show.

LAND OF 'LOST' LOOKERS

By LINDA STASI

TV Guide.com

A planeload of incredibly good-looking yuppies and Gen-Xers crashes in the mid-Pacific, killing everyone who isn't a model.

We assume this to be true right off because all the survivors on ABC's "Lost" look like they fell out of the Ford model book - not an airplane.

Only four survivors are not perfect, demographically speaking - a woman who looks to be mid-40s; a man in his 50s who may or may not be a pervert, but is for sure a weirdo; and a kid. (There's also the kid's dog who, even though he isn't a Gen Xer, is a labrador, which is demographically desirable.)

Despite the fact that the plane breaks into three pieces, all the dead are conveniently stuck inside the fusilage so we don't have to look at them. Better yet, none of the Gen Xer's injuries are serious. Yes - it's a miracle.

As luck would have it, all have survived the crash without having broken bodies, ripped off limbs or burnt faces. I don't know about you, but I love a neat crash.

Most of the injuries appear to be restricted (thank God again!) to really attractive gashes on the left sides of faces.

The setup after the clean plane crash is good, too. There's handsome doc Jack (Matthew Fox); Kate (Evangeline Lilly), a mystery woman; Charlie (Dominic Monaghan, formerly a Hobbit); and Hurley (Jorge Garcia), the one fat guy. (Will he turn out to be doomed like "Piggy" from "Lord of the Flies"? Nah. It's TV!)

The other passengers, particularly Sayid (Naveen Andrews, the great actor from one of my favorite movies, "The English Patient"), add some spice to the stew.

Sayid is a former Iraqi soldier who fought in the first Gulf War. This brings up all kinds of prejudices - as does the Korean married couple (Daniel Dae Kim and Yunjin Kim) who don't speak English but definitely don't like to be around the African-American guy and his kid (Harold Perrineau and Malcolm David Kelly).

There's one seemingly bad guy (Josh Holloway) who must be unredeemable because he is - oh God, no! - a chain smoker, although we never see any smoke come out of his mouth because, well, it's TV after all.

At any rate, while they've had the damn bad luck to have crashed on the only Pacific Island with neither luxury hotel accommodations nor the cast of "Survivor" already camped out, there is a monster that eats people. (I'm not kidding.)

It sounds dopier than it is. In fact, it's actually scary and kind of riveting.

The flashbacks to the crash from various the survivors' viewpoints are harrowing and the storyline, once the dopey non-injury plane crash is gotten through, is very good.

What's missing is any real diversity in the cast.

I mean, seriously, have you ever been on a plane with only gorgeous, young people? Neither have I.

"Lost"

Tomorrow night at 8 on ABC

Anyone else watch it?? So far all I can think of is Tropical Wooly Mammoths. :D I'll be watching again next week. Will be interesting to see if they can stretch this out for an entire season though. And the dog was already on the island, it wasn't on the plane with them - right??

I watched the last 20 minutes of it....it had a Jurrasic Park 3 feel to it! I will check it out, next week. I gotta admit it held my interest.

Hey, I missed that was Gaven from Angel!

NO Spoilers below:

Kristin of E!

Posted Image Lost is about survivors of a plane crash stranded on a deserted island, so naturally, at the premiere, the Gilligan's Island jokes were running wild. Castmember Daniel Dae Kim (Angel, 24 ), God bless his silly soul, said he's working on his "coconut bike." He also suggested I wash ashore as a guest star and fashion a microphone out of bamboo. Evangeline Lilly thought she and I could shack up in a hut as the new Ginger and Mary Ann.

But Lost is slightly different from Gilligan's Island (insert: sarcasm), and I think Yoon-Jin Kim (who plays Sun) describes it best. "In each episode, we'll discover layer upon layer to each character. This is about a bunch of people who've lost something. And on this mysterious island, we hope to find whatever it is we lost, whether that's forgiving someone or moving on or finding ourselves."

...Evie, as they call her on set (Matthew Fox is Foxy), was nearly the sole lead on the series. In the original pilot, Matthew Fox's character, Jack, was killed off halfway through the episode in a jaw-dropping twist. "Apparently," Fox explains, "people reading the script were like, 'You can't do it, you just can't do it.' So, Jack got to live, and I got to stay." (And I think I speak for ladies everywhere when I say: Thank you, J.C.)

The entire first season of Lost takes place in the span of only one month. And in the first ep, we learn the island is not what it seems--there's something, well, monstrous, living on it.

"I don't have any idea [what it is]," Foxy tells me when milked for spoilers, "and I don't even use the M-word for it, because I'm not sure it is a monster. I just know it's fast, and it does serious damage."

I think the hype was a bit overstated...it didn't blow me away..but it was decent. It was like watching Jurassic Park. I'll try to keep with it ..just for Fox :P

EOnline.comLost won its 8-9 p.m. time slot with 18.7 million viewers...... Lost's premiere is the biggest for a new ABC drama in nearly a decade, the network said.

:blink: Owww whats hiding in the jungle???? Is it a T-Rex? Hungry, restless natives, King Kong? I'll be tuning in next week to find out! I liked it though.

I saw a review that said the pilot was 2 hours. ABC decided to chop it in half instead of premiering it as a 2 hour movie. The critic said as a 2 hour movie, it really played well. Good old ABC.I liked it though and will definitely check it out next week where I think we'll find out about the dog.How about Jurassic Park meets the X-Files?

IT'S A 'LOST' CAUSE AT ABCPage SixALTHOUGH Disney's board pub licly stated its support for studio president and COO Bob Iger , PAGE SIX hears there's some grumbling about Iger over the success of the ABC drama, "Lost." Iger, who once headed ABC, famously passed on the chance to have "CSI" on the net work. The show went to CBS, where it's made millions. Then, back in April, Iger "parted ways" with ABC Entertainment Chairman Lloyd Braun. Our source snipes: "Bob was furious at Lloyd for greenlighting the pilot for 'Lost.' He hated the show — he thought it was awful and was really angry the pilot cost $12 million. He got [retiring Disney chairman] Michael Eisner on his side and fired Lloyd. But now the show is the biggest success ABC has had in a long time, so who's lost now? It's a question of taste — Lloyd had it, Bob doesn't." A rep for Disney said: "This is ridiculous."

Ok so I liked the 2nd part better than the first part. They should have shown it all at once. So I guess we know how that cute dog came to live on the island. :)I believe Sat nite they are repeating the Two hour premiere.

Yup, they're doing first two episodes (Pilot part 1 and 2) on Saturday. For those of you that haven't seen it, check it out!