Sign in to follow this  
princess

Lost Discussion

I couldn't tell what was doing the chasing.Good show. Loved the background of the lead female in Australia. (still don't know any of their names)Terry O'Quinn (?) from the old Stepfather movies is awesome at being creepy.Are you guys going spoiler free for this series? I'm going to try.

I'm spoiler free :)I found last night's show a bit boring. Maybe I was expecting action all the time, but I'll keep watching.So what did our fugitive do? And did she have a personal relationship with the marshal? They seemed to be somewhat intimate.

Are you guys going spoiler free for this series? I'm going to try.

With running this board, it's rare I'm spoiler free on any show. :D Have to say though, not much dirt on this show - just "we know this tiny thing, so we're guessing this" stuff.I'm still sticking to my Tropical Wooly Mammoth theory. ;)

Okay, I'm thinking maybe the guy that Jack sees is the owner of the island or from whatever company originally set up camp on the island 16 years ago?? Comes to check on his own personal eco system every once in a while via ship (and docked on other side of island so Lost people don't see it) and stumbled onto the plane wreck?? :huh:

Good Idea. I luv being Lost about this show.Another great performance by O'Quinn..then with Christopher Reeve passing this week..the wheelchair scene was even more special. So do you think he had some kind of communication with the "Wooly Bully"? :D

I just figured out where Locke is from! He's the dad in "The Cutting Edge". He was also in about a million lifetime made-for-tv movies. Phew. That was bugging me.

The only thing that bugs me about this show is that they lie to each other about crap that no one would ever lie about. Why not say you killed a Poler Bear?? People need to know what's out there. And why not say that you're trying to locate where the signal came from? And tell people about the bloody signal, everyone needs to know what their chances are, forget this "it will make them lose hope" crap. :angry:

"It's like Stephen King meets Melrose Place."-- Ellen DeGeneres, describing one of her new favorite shows, ABC's plane crash-survivor drama Lost (people.com)

There is nothing spoilery about the info below, just some observations about the comic book the kid was holding in second episode. Think what you like! Thanks to SHAOKAHN of TT for this!

Okay I'm getting obsessed with this show. Gotta move on. Here are some pics of the comic that the kid (Walt) was reading and a little info on it's storyline.

Here's a translation of what the comic book says:

The first pannel is fuzzy so I can't really read what it says, something about a bear skin rug with a bear inside. The second pannel says "ooops" and the 3rd "How big your teeth are! " ( like in Red Riding Hood).

In the large panel the Flash says "What are your plans now? How does it affect you to tell us?, after all we are your puppets " and the little guy says "My plan is to die. Because of Gunther and you (plural) I am plagued with disesases, but I will share my pain". And the other guy says "We understand how you feel. What we did half a century ago was wrong and what they've done to you since then goes beyond any type of forgiveness. But if somebody must pay for this..."

That comes from a Spanish speaker on another Lost fan-site. Another one, a comic book collector, has this to add:

"The comic itself is entirely between Wally West (Flash) and Kyle Rayner (Green Lantern) and calls back to the Golden Age in DC comics where Green Lantern (Alan Scott) and the original Flash- Jay Garrick- were fighting side by side. The essential plot line is... Get this- a Government/Extraterrestrials conspiracy causing a bizzare series of events that read like something out of the X-Files. Aparently the villain- Alien X- was easily defeated toward the end of the issue- but when he is defeated and dying, rather than get medical help that Kyle offers, he commits suicide- only AFTER unleashing a swarm of otherworldy creatures upon earth. I don't know at this time what those creatures were. It would seem these pages come from a part where Alien X has captured Jay and Alan, just before Wally and Kyle set them free."

Get Lost: The Mystery Solved!

by Ben Katner

TV Guide.com

Is it just us, or is watching ABC's plane-crash smash, Lost (Wednesdays, 9 pm/ET), a little bit like driving on the New Jersey Turnpike? You never know where the heck it's going to take you, and yet you can't escape it, either. In any case, while we may never find our way on Garden State thoroughfares, we can make sense of the trippiest series since Twin Peaks . Consider, if you will, the following scenarios to explain the weird occurrences on the ultimate survivor island...

The survivors are all dead. Think about it! Where else but in heaven could an individual walk away from a plane wreck looking as yummy as Kate (Evangeline Lilly) or Boone (Ian Somerhalder)? Plus, only divine intervention would allow paralyzed Locke (Terry O'Quinn ) to suddenly walk. On the other hand, would even a vengeful God trap sinners with a tree-shaking beastie, not to mention obnoxious hothead Sawyer (Josh Holloway)? Let's contemplate a variation on the theme...

They're in purgatory. That's the ticket! Maybe Jack (Matthew Fox) isn't the Dr. Nice Guy that he appears to be. Lord knows his fellow beachcombers are a mixed bag of misanthropes and mischief-makers. So perhaps they are all stuck together, cluelessly working toward an understanding of some highly personal life lessons. Bratty Shannon (Maggie Grace) must see that using people is wrong; druggy Charlie (Dominic Monaghan) must begin to just say no... you get the idea. And the quick-vanishing man in the suit? Why, he is to purgatory what Della Reese was to Touched by an Angel ? a kind of celestial overseer.

They're in outer space. Yeah, yeah, it's a mind-blowing proposition, we know. But it's not out of the realm of possibility. What if some alien race decided to Xerox Earth? They'd want to see how close they'd come to an exact duplicate, wouldn't they? So, to test their prefab world, they "import" a bunch of the natives by knocking their plane out of the air. Gradually, the busybody ETs would figure out the same thing that their unwitting guinea pigs are: Something is amiss. That's why there was a polar bear in the tropics; the Martians knew there were such creatures on Earth, they just didn't quite pinpoint where they belonged. This may also be why Locke was able to ditch his wheelchair; the pseudo-atmosphere in which our gang now reside may be slightly altered, allowing for miraculous feats of, in this case, an old guy's feet.

They're in Jurassic Park. We give creator J.J. Abrams way more credit than to seriously think he'd tear a page from another writer's blockbuster. However, if he somehow found a way to isolate his crew on a prehistoric isle, letting them in the back door so that neither they nor the audience knew what to expect, well, that prospect might be too tempting to resist. In addition, short of a guest appearance by the Jolly Green Giant, it's going to take a creature of T. Rex-ian proportions to keep us from being disappointed by the eventual revelation of the monster in the brush.

They're part of a government study. Cue the X-Files theme. This is obviously the kind of conspiracy about which Mulder lived to theorize. A disaster from which nobody should've walked away... an island nobody ever heard of... a shady character as sharply dressed as the nefarious Cigarette-Smoking Man. Yeah, this has "Made in the U.S.A." written all over it. Perhaps the G-men want to see what effect all that violence in TV and movies has really had on people. (They wouldn't be disappointed, either: There've been fisticuffs and gunplay nearly every day.) Or maybe the whole downing of the plane was orchestrated to rub out Kate, who isn't the criminal we're meant to think she is but a fearless spy who knows too much. On second thought, forget the X-Files theme; cue the Alias opening. There may be a crossover coming...

They're about to meet seven other stranded castaways. All these weeks, we've been thinking we're watching a new drama. As if! When our heroes make it to the other side of the island, we learn that we've been duped into watching a sitcom and that there will be hilarity galore once the likes of goofball Charlie and ornery Sawyer start mixing and mingling with a certain skipper, his first mate and their gaggle of ill-fated tour-boat passengers (among them, a millionaire and his wife, a movie star and... you know, the rest). Silly as it is, we're kind of partial to this outcome, if only because we expect the Professor will have a much easier time fashioning a two-way radio out of coconuts with the help of Lost's resident Mr. Wizard, Sayid (Naveen Andrews).

'Housewives,' 'Lost' Earn Full Seasons

(Wednesday, October 20 01:25 PM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) In one of its easiest calls in several years, ABC has given full-season orders to its two first-year hits, "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost."

Given the out-of-the-box success of both shows, it's almost a little surprising the network waited this long to make the announcement. "Desperate Housewives" is the most-watched new series of the season -- and third overall -- while "Lost" is No. 3 among first-year shows (CBS' "CSI: NY" is second).

"'Desperate Housewives' and 'Lost' each bring something unique to the table, and we're thrilled that audiences responded from day one," says Stephen McPherson, president of ABC Entertainment. "Creatively, these two shows only continue to get better."

So the casket was empty. Anyone have any guesses?!?!I sure wish they would start to give us a few of the answers, I'm starting to get tired of all the twists. A few little insights would be nice now.

I was half watching..but was confused about the casket,also. When I saw it..it was empty..what happened to the body????Also, Jack's mother said "after what you've done (in reference to Jack) during their conversation. What did he do?

Like I said, it would be nice to give us a few answers now instead of always cliff hangers.I will be watching next week though...

Last week I kept thinking how dumb it was to burn the fuselage. They could have used it for shelter, for parts, for wiring, etc.This week I thought how dumb it was to destroy the coffin - it looked like a pretty comfy place to catch some zzzzs...... :)

I'm getting a little bored with how stupid these people are. And I'd like some more big answers instead of just more questions each show.Maybe I should have waited until the first season was on DVD, then just watch all of them one weekend. Did that for the first season of 24 - worked out pretty well not having to wait weeks and weeks for the cliffhangers. :D

Kristin of E!From larrypigtails: So, my dear, I guess we now know who the naked guy from your earlier Blind Riddle was, eh? I read TV Guide this week with the Lost secrets.Yes, I guess that Matthew Fox is out of the bag--or his Skivvies, as the case may be. What's funny is that the Blind Riddle was based on someone who attended a wedding with Foxy-woxy years ago, but it seems his habit of letting it all hang out, while hanging out, has not changed. For those who didn't see it, TV Guide says that Matthew Fox "likes to take his clothes off." I interviewed Maggie Grace (Lost 's bitchy sis) last week, and she blushed and said this, "I can only tell you this, I've seen more naked guys while on this show than in my entire life beforehand." I am so on the wrong show. When I was visiting the set in Hawaii, the wrangler called over her walkie-talkie to Foxy, asking him to come for his interview "and make sure you have your pants on." I thought she was kidding.From carrie_olds: I have read there will be only 13 episodes of Lost , but I have also seen mentions of 22 episodes. So, I was wondering, do you know how many episodes there will be, and why so few?There will be 22 episodes of Lost, which is a full-season order. Basically, the way it works is that most shows first get a 13-episode initial pickup, and then, if they do well, they get an order for the "back nine"--the nine remaining episodes. Lost got its full-season pickup (making it 22 eps) on Wednesday, hurrah!

It May Be TV's Hottest Show, but Really, What's the Deal with That Island?

EOnline.com

by Leslie Gornstein

One big, invisible, creature that may or may not be a dinosaur.

One polar bear.

One ghost in a suit. One ex-Hobbit.

And 48--well, now, make that 47, oops, 46--mostly sexy castaways with more issues than a magazine rack.

It's the new formula for success at ABC, and the reason why the creepiness-under-the-palms drama Lost has skyrocketed to the top of its ratings slot. Now, all that's left for fans to do is guess what in the high hell is happening on this haunted fantasy island.

Like, what is that monster in the trees? And why do ghosts and arctic mammals keep popping up? Oh, and how did we all get here, anyway?

The Internet has seen a tropical storm of theories in recent weeks--aliens, Bermuda Triangles, old exploits of Cap'n Kirk, French zoologists. (That last one might not stand up to the test of time, but the show comes from J.J. Abrams, the man behind pretzel-plotted spy hit Alias, so you never know.)

Characters have dropped a slew of hints, but beyond that, fans are on their own. Here are our five favorite theories for just what's what.

Scenario #1: It's All in Their Heads

Or more accurately, the island--and everything on it--is a product of the castaways' potent gray matter. Some physical force is tapping their brains to make "real" their fears and wishes, an old-hat trick in sci-fi.

Exhibit A: In the classic Star Trek episode "Shore Leave," a vacationing Enterprise crew discovers a planet that morphs depending on the thoughts of any visitors. (Also note Sphere and Solaris, both of which offer alien technology that makes your thoughts come true.)

Meanwhile, in Lost, we see young boy Walt reading a comic book with a polar bear on the cover. Moments later, a real polar bear--not a common sight within a thousand miles of Fiji--nearly mows down a klatch of castaways. Then shortly after Jack starts whining about his fraternal "issues," his dead daddy starts popping up in the underbrush.

Why It Works: Ready for this? Maybe they all wanted that plane to crash. Federal prisoner Kate, tortured doctor turned leader Jack Shepherd and harried cubicle worker John Locke all had pretty strong reasons for not craving their final destination in L.A. Could one of their minds--or their collective thoughts--have brought down the plane, created the island, summoned whatever's in the jungle or some combination thereof? Spock certainly wouldn't argue.

Why It's Weak: Everybody starts missing toilet paper eventually. And hopped-up bass player junkie Charlie (played by Lord of the Rings Hobbit Dominic Monaghan) certainly wouldn't want to put so many miles between himself and his pusher. Still, it's the strongest theory yet.

Odds: 5 to 3

Scenario #2: They've Found the Undiscovered Country

As in the Bermuda Triangle. As in Atlantis. Or perhaps even an Arctic island. Scientists recently discovered that about 55 million years ago, temperatures in the Arctic Sea resembled

As for the Bermuda Triangle, even an embryo knows the triangle of airspace between San Juan, Miami and Bermuda sucks pilots down into watery graves.

Why It Works: Before crash-landing on the island, the Lost pilot endured shenanigans with his equipment and later discovered the vessel had been blown a full 1,000 miles off course. As for the possibility of chronological dabbling: Lost cocreator Damon Lindelof has messed around with time travel before, namely in a comedy play called Ollie Klublershturf vs. the Nazis.

Why It's Weak: Way too easy. Plus, Lindelof has already said the giant invisible beast is not a dinosaur.

Odds: 10 to 3

Scenario #3: Everybody's Dead

And welcome to purgatory, where God makes all the rules and can produce as many polar bears and well-dressed dead men as He wants. All to help His visitors, like, move along.

"The idea of purgatory is that to get to heaven, we have to be fixed," Paul Thigpen, religious expert and author of The Rapture Trap, tells E! Online.

Why It Works: People rarely walk away from plane crashes. And now we get 48 "survivors"? Come on. Also, the Lost characters clearly have some soul searching to do--a key factor for the Catholic Church's theory of purgatory.

"Whatever suffering they go through would have to be redemptive, with the goal of each of them being perfected," Thigpen says. Hence, struggling with drug addiction (while trying to get laid by any chick under 30 left on the island). Or trying to sew yourself up at an uncomfortable angle. As long as the trials lead to a purer soul, experts say, anything that happens in purgatory is A-okay with God.

Why It's Weak: Apparently, God tells dead people pretty early on that they're in purgatory, so they can waste no time in cleaning their souls. So far, the Lost castaways remain clueless.

Odds: 2 to 1

Scenario 4: Jack's the New Adam, Kate's the New Eve

Just hear us out, here. For those of you who slept through philosophy class, Lost 's bald, knife-toting frustrated office-drone Locke clearly refers to the great Enlightenment thinker John Locke. His writings on man's moral development shaped generations of artists and pundits, not to mention Thomas Jefferson. His basic tenet: Nothing is predestined. People are instead "empty cabinets" who can choose which experiences will shape their souls and characters.

"This show sounds like it was written by graduate students of philosophy who never got a job," posits Boston University philosophy expert Aaron Garrett.

Obviously! So, follow these clues, and perhaps the castaways have been literally reborn--into a Garden of Eden-style situation--and given a new start.

Why It Works: A few episodes back, Jack mused that he and the others had been spawned anew. He didn't mean it literally--or did he? And Locke, in a creepy explanation of backgammon, explained that you can choose to be "light" or "dark." (Stroke your chin to that.) Beyond that, the island is lousy with second chances. Kate is no longer handcuffed. Jack is no longer yoked by the expectations of his perfectionist parents. And the once wheelchair-bound Locke, well, geez, he can walk now.

Why It's Weak: Since when do TV writers foist deep graduate-school theories on prime-time viewers? Americans can barely keep up with 24.

Odds: 10 to 4

Scenario 5: Okay, Wait! They're Someplace! With Some Stuff!

So, like, a French zoologist got stranded on this island, like, 16 years ago, see, after her plane crashed on her way back to France with a polar bear from the Arctic, right? And the polar bear went crazy, man! And it ate everybody! And then the zoologist, she sent out a distress call, but it was too late, dude, just too late.

Or how about: Some aliens have brought down the plane as a way to study humans in isolation, right? And they brought a big, invisible, hungry pet that lives in the trees.

Or how about: Dr. Moreau is at it again!

Why It Works: Show creators Abrams and Lindelof have both achieved rock-star status in Hollywood. Power often leads producers down really out there (read: stupid) avenues. Why? Just because they can.

Why It's Weak: Once viewers discover the secret is as narrow as a bunch of aliens, why tune in anymore? (See: The X-Files, Twin Peaks .) We have faith that Abrams & Co. know the island's secret has to be broader, more mysterious. Otherwise, after one season, they're cooked. And nobody wants off this island that quickly.

Odds: 10 to 1

Lost Girl Found Out!

by Ben Katner

TV GUide.com

Maggie Grace may be the officially designated hot chick on ABC's Lost (Wednesdays at 8 pm/ET), but her character, Shannon, is also the scripted-Survivor series' most obnoxious. So if we were her, we'd be worried about hungry plane-crash near-casualties starting to look at the vain vixen as a piece of meat in the literal sense.

"Like the Donner Party? Let's hope it doesn't come to that!" the actress says, laughing nervously at TV Guide Online's suggestion. "The producers are definitely pushing some limits, but between you and me, I don't think ABC's standards and practices department would allow cannibalism."

Assuming that Shannon doesn't end up being turned into bratwurst, she still seems likely to become a, ahem, tasty morsel for the island's menfolk. In particular, she has caught the eye of rocker Charlie. Despite the fact that this legend in his own mind is played by Lord of the Rings hobbit Dominic Monaghan, Grace predicts that she will have no difficulty acting like she's hot for him.

"Not at all!" she insists with enthusiasm. "I mean, it's Dominic ! Have you met him? His English accent is incredibly sexy, no two ways about it! With certain L.A. guys, it's like, 'No. No, we were good until you opened your mouth.' But with him, it's like, 'Ohhh... don't stop talking! Thank you!'"

When the Oliver Beene alumna isn't fending off the advances of lustful beach bums on screen, she is making advances on them off screen. No, not that way! She just joins in eagerly when her costars start comparing notes on what the heck creator J.J. Abrams has in mind for his Lost world.

"When we get together, there's always some interesting discussion," she relates, adding that, of course, the unseen tree-shaking beastie is the source of the most speculation. "I think [the powers that be] have an idea of what it is, but they're not very forthcoming about it. [The cast is] pretty much on a need-to-know basis. But Dominic thinks it's an elephant with cats duct-taped to it."

Okay, why-oh-why couldn't they all live in the caves and just station some people out on the beach to keep watch?? Rotate beach duty?!?!?! And has anyone thought to put large colored stuff viewable from the sky out on the sand?? Do they really think their little fire is going to be what saves them?? :rolleyes: I have to admit, what keeps me watching this show is backstory on the characters. I really hope they stop doing dumb stuff.I did like the storyline about the wheelchair guy and drug musician though....

Exactly, rotate beach and cave duty..helloooI was expecting more from the Asian couple storyline.Well there is always Matthew Fox :P eye candy

Lost & Foundpeople.comIt's all life-and-death drama on the hit ABC show Lost, but offscreen, the cast is more about fun, costar Maggie Grace told us at a recent charity event hosted by Frederick's of Hollywood. "We're starting to get recognized a lot more," says Grace, who plays the self-centered Shannon. "Some of the members of the cast already were, so it's funny to see people constantly coming up to them. But now it's definitely everybody and it's sort of an overnight phenomenon. It's fun. We all hang out together so much that it's an inside joke to us." But for Grace herself, "I'm a little nervous because Shannon's not the most sweet and likeable person at first on the show. So I'm nervous that people will think that's how I am."