cydonia

Oddly Enough

The Doll With Weight Issues This is either the most bizarre "toy," or the most clever. I haven't decided yet. There is a doll designed by Christina Bisland called the GO-DO. You are able to inject the doll with a liquid to change the doll's body shape and size.Today, even though they are larger than their counterparts in the 50s, children are still given 50s shaped Barbie dolls to play with. If given the opportunity to decide whether their doll was to be slim or fat, which would they choose? Would they want their doll to look like them? Should we give a child that choice?The doll is manipulated through the injection of a liquid into its hollow body, which changes its shape from very slim to obese (and vice-versa).While the doll was developed in response to obesity and eating disorders, I'm not quite sure of the purpose for the doll? I think most kids would get more kicks out of injecting a doll than anything else.

Woman sues Denny's over toilet burnsJul. 28, 2005 at 9:56PM A Kansas woman has filed a lawsuit seeking damages for severe burns on her rear end caused by chemicals used to clean a toilet at a Denny's Restaurant. Kathleen Williams' suit names Denny's Corp. and Jomar Investments LLC, owner of the St. Louis-area Denny's where she was injured. Williams claims she did not see the chemicals but felt them as soon as she sat down. Pedro Irigonegaray, her lawyer, said that she had to be hospitalized immediately and suffered permanent injuries. "Sadly, as a result of the chemical injury, nerves were injured that create a sensation of pain 24 hours a day," Irigonegaray told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. He said Williams has to take medication for pain and wear special underpants designed for burn victims.

Woman sues Denny's over toilet burnsJul. 28, 2005 at 9:56PM A Kansas woman has filed a lawsuit seeking damages for severe burns on her rear end caused by chemicals used to clean a toilet at a Denny's Restaurant. Kathleen Williams' suit names Denny's Corp. and Jomar Investments LLC, owner of the St. Louis-area Denny's where she was injured. Williams claims she did not see the chemicals but felt them as soon as she sat down. Pedro Irigonegaray, her lawyer, said that she had to be hospitalized immediately and suffered permanent injuries. "Sadly, as a result of the chemical injury, nerves were injured that create a sensation of pain 24 hours a day," Irigonegaray told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. He said Williams has to take medication for pain and wear special underpants designed for burn victims.

eeeeeeeeeee :o

Dead woman shot in casket, mourners flee Thu Jul 28, 8:26 AM ET

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil (Reuters) - A dead woman lying in her casket was hit by a stray bullet during a wake in Rio de Janeiro and mourners fled in panic, police said on Wednesday.

The bullet, fired in a shootout between a drug gang and police in a slum adjacent to the cemetery Tuesday, pierced the casket inside the cemetery's chapel and got lodged in the corpse's pelvis. Clenilda da Silva, 49, a babysitter, had died the previous day of a heart attack.

The bullet was not removed before burial.

"This is just too sad. My God, to get shot after death," Extra tabloid newspaper quoted da Silva's sister, Maria de Lourdes Pereira, as saying. The newspaper said another bullet broke a window in a neighboring chapel and bullet holes could be seen on many trees and cemetery walls.

Standoffs between drug gangs and police or just between rival gangs often claim innocent lives in Rio, which has one of the world's highest murder rates.

Well at least she didnt feel anything. :o

Farmer killed by falling cow

ZAGREB (Reuters) - A Croatian farmer was killed when a cow he was about to milk fell and crushed him, local media reported Tuesday.

The unfortunate 61-year-old farmer, from the village of Cadjavacki Lug in central Croatia, went into the stable where his family keeps nine cows, as he had every morning for the past 20 years, the Vecernji List newspaper reported.

"I think he slipped, grabbed the milking machine and knocked it over. That must have frightened the cow, which slipped and fell on top of him," his distraught daughter-in-law, who was in the stable with him, told the daily.

"It took me and the rest of the family almost three minutes to get the cow off him."

She said the cow, named Lara, had been very meek and that even children could milk her without fear. The newspaper did not say what had become of the cow.

What do you suppose he thought would happen? Tue Jul 26,10:01 AM ET

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) - A Texas man was arrested on Monday after calling police to complain about the theft of his marijuana, authorities said.

Stephen Knight, 17, said three men had broken into his apartment, hogtied him with Christmas lights and stole some marijuana, along with a plasma screen television, police said.

Police are looking for the suspects. In the meantime, they arrested Knight after finding several marijuana plants growing under heat lamps in the apartment, four grams of harvested marijuana and a tablet of ecstasy, Officer Chad Ripley said.

Knight said the men barged into his home early on Monday morning demanding, "Where's the weed?," according to San Antonio police.

What a dumbass! :rolleyes:

Edited by Rebelgirl

Man's finger just makes the train Wed Jul 27, 8:24 AM ET BERLIN (Reuters) - A German man's severed finger traveled 60 kilometers by rail after its owner trapped his hand in the door trying to board a train at the last minute, police said Tuesday. Passengers traveling from Freiburg to Cologne Sunday noticed the finger lying on the carriage floor and alerted police.Officers collected it at the next station.Doctors said they were confident they could reattach the finger to its 34-year-old owner after it was rushed back to Freiburg in an ambulance.

Allegedly Makes False Abduction Report 1 hour, 24 minutes ago

FONTANA, Calif. - A man was arrested Thursday for allegedly making a false police report that his niece was in his car when it was stolen in hopes that the vehicle would be found quickly.

Trevon Smith, 18, initially reported a 4-year-old niece was in the back seat of his 1995 blue Toyota Camry when the car was stolen around 2:15 p.m. from a gas station, police said. An Amber Alert was quickly issued but was called off about two hours later when it was determined the girl had not been in the car.

The auto theft was videotaped by the gas station's security camera.

"When we brought him to the station, it was determined that he was lying," said Officer Trish Coyle. "His car was stolen, but there was never any child in the back seat."

Coyle said the girl's mother came to the police station and told detectives that her daughter was safe and had never been kidnapped.

Authorities were still searching for the Camry. Authorities said the car had a California license plate, 4SBJ962, with tinted windows and a sticker of a dove in the rear window. Smith told police that his car's gas tank was close to empty and he had yet to fill it up when the vehicle stolen, Sgt. William Megenney.

"What this has done is tie up dozens of officers," Coyle said. "The public thinks if they exaggerate the crime, that they're going to get a quicker response."

Edited by Rebelgirl

Cashier Allegedly Gives Random Discounts Wed Jul 27, 7:48 PM ET

NASHUA, N.H. - In a bizarre case, a store cashier is charged with helping apparently random people steal about $5,000 in clothing from the store.

Police have charged Shayna McDonald, 19, of Nashua, with theft. They said that while she worked as a cashier at the A.G. Wright Department store, she allowed customers to leave with goods after charging them a fraction of the cost.

Lt. Andrew Lavoie said what makes it bizarre, is that McDonald and the customers who got the price breaks apparently didn't know each other. He said the word was out on the street that she gave breaks on clothing and she apparently got nothing in return.

Train Driver Fired for Drunk Driving Thu Jul 28, 4:59 PM ET

HANOI, Vietnam - A drunk Vietnamese train driver who fell sound asleep on the job, leaving his cargo train to barrel unmanned down the tracks, has been fired, an official said Thursday. Well damn....I would hope so...........

Vu Kim Tien, 45, was alone on the runaway train as it chugged the more than six miles to the next station on Saturday. He had fallen asleep after drinking alcohol during a break, said Tran Tan Bao, deputy director of Ha Lao Locomotive Enterprise in northern Yen Bai province, 112 miles northwest of Hanoi.

Officials at several railway stations along the track were alerted and all other trains stopped after Tien's locomotive took off without clearance, he said.

Officials tried shouting into the two carriages as the train passed along the tracks, but to no avail, he said.

Authorities at the next stop then made a lot of noise near the train, which woke Tien up.

He was able to stop the train and no one was injured in the incident, Bao said.

Tien was fired Tuesday, ending a 20-year career that had no other blemishes, he said.

Tasered Mo. Grandmother Gets Probation Thu Jul 28, 4:42 PM ET

KANSAS CITY, Mo. = A 67-year-old grandmother who was shocked with a Taser stun gun after she honked her car horn at a police cruiser has been given a year's probation for sparking a quarrel with officers,

A charge of improper use of the horn against Louise Jones was dismissed Wednesday in Kansas City Municipal Court. Her husband, Fred, 76, who became involved in the fray last year, also got one year of probation for the same charges — resisting arrest and attempting to inflict injury on an officer.

The only condition of the probation is that the couple obey all laws.

The incident, which resulted in a change in department policy and the disciplining of two officers, happened in June 2004 as police were responding to a disturbance call across the street from the couple's home. Officers said they approached Louise Jones after she honked her horn, thinking she had reported the disturbance or perhaps was in trouble. A defense witness testified the honk was accidental.

"She immediately became hostile to us," Officer Ryan VanDeusen testified. He said that she continued the verbal assault when the officers returned to their squad car.

"It was very loudy, it was antagonistic, it was very derogatory toward my partner and I," he testified.

Officer Cory LeMoine said he told Jones he could give her a ticket for honking the horn, and that a physical confrontation began after she wouldn't show him her driver's license. He said he and his partner struggled with Jones both inside and outside her house. The officers said that while VanDeusen was trying to handcuff her, Fred Jones came down the stairs and leveled his shoulder into him.

VanDeusen said he used the Taser on Louise Jones when his partner couldn't get her under control.

The Jones disputed the officers' account. Louise Jones and other defense witnesses said she wasn't confrontational and that the comments she made were directed to a friend, not to the officers.

"She says something to the neighbor across the street and the officer didn't like that," said defense attorney Basil North. "He decided he was going to teach her a lesson."

Louise Jones said she pulled away from the police when one of the officers grabbed her arm, and her husband said one of the officers had his knee on his wife's chest.

Municipal Judge Marcia K. Walsh told the couple they should fulfill their sentence easily, pointing out that Fred Jones' criminal history was perfect except for a traffic ticket.

"Your record is even better," she told Louise Jones. "You don't even have a ticket."

The couple's attorney said they plan to appeal the decision. North moved for dismissal of the horn-honking charges on grounds that the ordinance involved was worded vaguely, and the prosecutor agreed to drop it.

Blind Teen Amazes With Video-Game Skills By SCOTT BAUER, Associated Press Writer Wed Jul 27,10:01 PM ET LINCOLN, Neb. - Brice Mellen is a whiz at video games such as "Mortal Kombat." In that regard, the 17-year-old isn't much different from so many others his age. Except for one thing: He's blind. And as he easily dispatched foes who took him on recently at a Lincoln gaming center, the affable and smiling Mellen remained humble."I can't say that I'm a superpro," he said, working the controller like an extension of his body. "I can be beat."Those bold enough to challenge him weren't so lucky. One by one, while playing "Soul Caliber 2," their video characters were decapitated, eviscerated and gutted without mercy by Mellen's on-screen alter ego."I'm getting bored," Mellen said in jest as he won game after game.Blind since birth when his optic nerve didn't connect because of Leber's disease, Mellen honed his video game skills over the years through patient and not-so-patient playing, memorizing key joystick operations and moves in certain games, asking lots of questions and paying particular attention to audio cues. He worked his way up from games such as "Space Invaders" and "Asteroid," onto the modern combat games."I guess I don't know how I do it, really," Mellen said, as he continued playing while facing away from the screen. "It's beyond me."Mellen knows this much: He started playing at home when he was about 7."He enjoyed trying to play, but he wasn't very good at first," said his father, Larry Mellen. "But he just kept on trying. ... He's broken a lot of controllers."When the question of broken controllers comes up, Mellen flashes a smile and just shrugs."I used to have quite a temper," he said. "Me and controllers didn't get along very well."Now they get along just fine.While playing "Soul Caliber 2," Mellen worked his way through the introductory screens with ease, knowing exactly what to click to start the game he wanted.He rarely asked for help. Once the game started he didn't need any help."How do I move?" an exasperated opponent, Ryan O'Banion, asked during a battle in which his character is frozen in place."You can't," Mellen answered before finishing him off."That's what happens. It's why I don't play him," O'Banion said after his blood-spattered character's corpse vanishes from the screen.How Mellen became so good is a mystery to his father. "He just sat there and he tried and tried until he got it right," Larry Mellen said. "He didn't ever complain to me or anyone about how hard it was." Mellen hangs out any chance he gets at the DogTags Gaming Center in Lincoln, which opened last month. Every now and then someone will come in and think he can easily beat the blind kid. That attitude doesn't faze Mellen. "I'll challenge them, maybe. If I feel like a challenge," he said, displaying an infectious confidence. "I freak people out by playing facing backwards." There's nothing he likes better than playing video games, Mellen said. He will be a senior in high school next year. After graduation, he plans to take a year off because he wants a break from school. When he does go to college, Mellen wants to study — what else? — video-game design.

ER, YOU WHAT, LUV?

Men's brains not designed to listen to women's voices

By Lorraine Fisher Health Correspondent

FELLAS accused by women of never listening to them now have the perfect

excuse.

Their brains simply aren't designed to listen to women's voices - at first

it thinks it is music then has to analyse what they are saying.

Researchers at the University of Sheffield tracked the brain activity of

male volunteers who were played recordings of different voices.

Their brains worked harder to decipher what the women were saying - using a

part of the brain that processes music. Men engaged a simpler mechanism at

the back of the brain when they heard a male voice, recognising it as speech

and comparing it to how they spoke.

Dr Michael Hunter, who led the research, said: "The female voice is more

complex than the male, due to differences in the size and shape of the vocal

cords and larynx.

"Also women have a greater natural 'melody' in their voices. This causes a

more complex range of frequencies than in a male. When a man hears a female

voice the auditory section of his brain is activated, which analyses the

different sounds to 'read' the voice.

"When men hear a male voice they process it in the 'mind's eye'. This is the

part of the brain where people compare their experiences to themselves, so

the man is comparing his own voice to the new voice."

The findings, published in the journal NeuroImage, may explain why people

suffering hallucinations usually hear a male voice - the brain finds it

harder to conjure up a false female voice

-Mirror (UK)

Fri Sep 16,10:27 AM ET TOKYO (Reuters) - A Japanese woman called in the police after a hitman she paid to kill her lover's wife failed to carry out the job. The 32-year-old Tokyo woman was arrested Wednesday for incitement to murder, the Daily Yomiuri newspaper said Friday.The woman contacted a private detective through a Web site last November and paid him 1 million yen in cash to murder her love rival, the paper said.The 40-year-old detective accepted the money and suggested he could carry out the job by chasing the victim on a motorcycle and spraying her with a biological agent in a tunnel.Police also arrested the private detective and found the alleged target safe and well, the paper said.

Zoo gets world's first elephant treadmill Thu Sep 15, 2:10 PM ET :mellow: ANCHORAGE (Reuters) - Anchorage zookeepers are installing a 16,000-pound (7.3-ton) treadmill to keep an isolated elephant from getting fat during the long, cold Alaskan winters. The 20-foot(6-meter)-long treadmill was designed specifically for Maggie, a 23-year-old female African elephant that has become the subject of a national debate over the proper care for captive pachyderms."It looks just like a big people treadmill," said Patrick Lampi, assistant director of the Alaska Zoo.Because this is the first treadmill ever built for an elephant, zoo officials and an Idaho company studied mining equipment and treadmills used for race horses and racing camels, Lampi said.Zookeepers said Zimbabwe-born Maggie would start using the treadmill in about two months.The zoo is remodeling her indoor and outdoor spaces, making both about twice as large as before and adding a sandy area. In addition, the floor has been heated and the zoo is evaluating ways to make it softer, Lampi said.Critics from Anchorage and around the nation have urged the zoo to send Maggie to an elephant sanctuary in a warmer climate and away from the near-Arctic zoo.Elephants, particularly females, are herd creatures and need company, critics have said. But Maggie's companion, an Asian elephant named Annabelle, died in 1997.Maggie's weight-loss program started more than a year ago, Lampi said, "She was slightly heavy for an elephant."With diet modifications and new exercise inducements, such as hiding food in baskets and other sites that require some work to reach, Maggie has slimmed down a bit and is now believed to weigh a little over 8,000 pounds (3.6 tonnes)."We estimate that she lost maybe 1,000 pounds (454 kg)," Lampi said.

Sheep star in online reality show Wed Sep 14,11:28 AM ET

ZAGREB (Reuters) - Croatia has launched a new reality show on the Internet, starring sheep instead of people.

The winner of the 10-day Stado (herd) show, which closes on September 17, will receive poetry in its honor instead of money.

Those voted out of the seven-member herd might be eaten, the Vecernji List daily reported Wednesday.

The show can be followed 24 hours a day on website www.stado.org, where visitors can see how the sheep feed and interact with each other.

They can then choose which sheep to vote out.

The show drew anger from human rights groups who reported animal abuse to local veterinary inspectors.

"I am not an insensitive bastard who abuses animals. We've called a vet for those sheep that were in poorer shape," organizer Sinisa Labrovic told the daily.

He said the aim of the project was to show that "more and more people, especially those who take part in reality shows, are made to look like sheep in every situation."

I dont think this will be interesting but maybe a border collie would. :rolleyes:

German inventor: I never used dead cats for fuel

Thu Sep 15, 6:54 AM ET

A German inventor said he has developed a method to produce crude oil products from waste that he believes can be an answer to the soaring costs of fuel, but denied a German newspaper story implying he also used dead cats.

Christian Koch, an inventor and patent holder of the "KDV 500" that he said produces high quality fuel, said he can transform waste products such as paper, rubbish and plastic materials into fuel.

But Koch, 55, said there was no truth to stories published in Bild newspaper on Tuesday and Wednesday that suggested he used dead cats as part of the mix for his organic diesel fuel.

"I use paper, plastics, textiles and rubbish," Koch told Reuters.

"It's an alternative fuel that is friendly for the environment. But it's complete nonsense to suggest dead cats. I've never used cats and would never think of that. At most the odd toad may have jumped in."

Bild on Tuesday wrote a headline: "German inventor can turn cats into fuel -- for a tank he needs 20 cats." The paper on Wednesday followed up with a story entitled: "Can you really make fuel out of cats?"

A spokesman for Bild told Reuters the story was meant to show that cat remains could "in theory" be used to make fuel with Koch's patented method.

The author of the story said Koch had never told him directly that he had used dead cats as the story implied.

The Web site of Koch's firm, "Alphakat GmbH," says his patented "KDV 500" machine can produce what he calls the "bio-diesel" fuel at about 23 euro cents (30 cents) a liter, which is about one-fifth the price at petrol stations now.

"I drive my normal diesel-powered car with this mixture," Koch is quoted saying in Bild, next to a large picture of a kitten. "I have gone 170,000 km (106,000 miles) without a problem."

480-Pound Woman Dies After Six Years On Couch

POSTED: 3:48 pm EDT August 11, 2004

Not weird enough?

Read more strange news

LOOK! Strange News Photos

STUART, Fla. -- A 480-pound Martin County woman has died after emergency workers tried to remove her from the couch where she had remained for about six years.

Gayle Laverne Grinds, 40, died Wednesday, after a failed six-hour effort to dislodge her from the couch in her home. Workers say the home was filthy, and Grinds was too large to get up from the couch to even use the bathroom.

Everyone going inside the home had to wear protective gear. The stench was so powerful they had to blast in fresh air.

A preliminary autopsy on the the four-foot, ten-inch woman lists the cause of death as "morbid obesity." But officials want to know more about the circumstances inside the home.

Investigators say Grinds lived with a man named Herman Thomas, who says he tried to take care of her the best he could. He has told them he tried repeatedly to get her up, but simply couldn't. No charges have been filed, but officials are looking into negligence issues.

Emergency workers had to remove some sliding glass doors and lift the couch, with Grinds still on it, to a trailer behind a pickup truck. Removing her from the couch would be too painful, since her body was grafted to the fabric. After years of staying put, her skin had literally become one with the sofa and had to be surgically removed. :o

She died at Martin Memorial Hospital South, still attached to the couch.

Neighbors say they had no idea Grinds lived at the duplex, though they had seen Thomas and some children outside.

(Foxnews.com)Tourists Fined for Kissing in India :o Wednesday, September 21, 2005 NEW DELHI — India may be the land of the Kamasutra (search), the famed ancient treatise on sex, but in the country's hinterlands, public displays of affection remain strictly taboo. An Israeli couple discovered just how staid the small towns of India can be when they were fined 500 Indian rupees (U.S. $11) each for embracing and kissing after getting married in the Hindu holy town of Pushkar (search) in northwestern India, the Asian Age newspaper reported Wednesday.The Israeli Embassy in New Delhi confirmed the incident and identified the couple as Alon Orpaz and Tehila Salev, who decided to get married on a visit to India. The embassy did not provide any additional details.The Asian Age said priests at Pushkar's Brahma temple were so incensed when the couple, married in a traditional Hindu ceremony, smooched as hymns were still being chanted that they filed a complaint with the police.A court in Pushkar then charged the couple with indecency and ordered them to pay the fine or face 10 days in prison, the newspaper reported, adding that the couple decided to pay up."We will not tolerate any cultural pollution of this sort," the newspaper quoted a priest, Ladoo Ram Sharma, as saying.Asian Age reported that the priests planned to ask the government to require tourists to be appropriately dressed when visiting the holy town and its temples.Pushkar, located on the banks of Pushkar Lake (search), is a popular Hindu pilgrimage spot. But it is also frequented by foreign tourists, who come for the town's annual cattle fair and camel races.

(Yahoo.com)Dutch Talk-Show Host to Take Heroin on Air By TOBY STERLING, Associated Press Writer Wed Sep 21,10:11 AM ET AMSTERDAM, Netherlands - A television presenter on a new Dutch talk show plans to take heroin and other illegal drugs on air in a program intended to reach young audiences on topics that touch their lives, producers said Wednesday. The show, scheduled to premier on late-night television Oct. 10, is called "Spuiten & Slikken," or the "Shoot Up and Swallow" show.Even in the liberal Netherlands, where marijuana is sold and used openly, the proposed action by presenter Filemon Wesselink is illegal, and the idea was met with dismay by the governing center-right Christian Democrat party."This is dangerous and it sets a bad example," party spokesman Pieter Heerma said. "We're going to ask the justice minister for his view on what the law says about this, and his view on the dangers and risks involved."Justice Ministry spokesman Ivo Hommes said it was not immediately clear whether Wesselink could be prosecuted. Possession of any amount of heroin is illegal, but in practice police usually do not have resources to chase after people with less than a half a gram of the highly addictive narcotic."The actual taking of drugs is a health problem, not a criminal act, though it's obviously hard to take drugs without possessing them first," Hommes said. "In any case it's not something we endorse, and doing it on television is undesirable."The Shoot Up & Swallow show's main hostess will interview guests about drug use and abuse, while Wesselink and another presenter will carry out in-the-field experiments with sex and drugs.Wesselink, 26, plans to smoke a heroin pill, said Ingrid Timmer, a spokeswoman for the show's producer BNN."It's not our intention to create an outcry. We just want to talk about subjects that are part of young people's lives," Timmer said.In other segments of the show, Wesselink plans to go on a drinking binge in a series of pubs. He also plans to take the hallucinogenic drug LSD — on his couch under the supervision of his mother.The Netherlands is known for its marijuana policy, where sale and use of the drug in small quantities are not prosecuted even though technically illegal. Other drugs, including LSD, cocaine, Ecstasy and heroin are outlawed and dealers are prosecuted. The legal age for the consumption of alcohol and tobacco is 16.According to information from the Netherlands' Trimbos Institute, which monitors international drug use, the Dutch are about average. The institute says 6 percent of Dutch have used marijuana recently, compared with 8 percent in the United States, 9 percent in Britain and 9 percent in France. For cocaine, it was 1.1 percent in Holland — and rising quickly — compared to 1.3 percent in the United States, 1.5. percent in Britain and 0.3 percent in France. Comparable data for heroin use were not available.BNN has drawn viewer complaints for programs in the past, including a sex education program called "This Is How You Screw." One segment discussed how to have sex in a nightclub and featured life-size mannequins with sex organs.(BOOKS AIRLINE TICKET TO AMSTERDAM...) ;)

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/23/D8CQ8RH80.html

Vegas Driver Said to See 'Demons' in Crowd

Sep 23 7:20 PM US/Eastern

By CHRISTINA ALMEIDA

LAS VEGAS

A man suspected of killing two tourists and injuring 12 others on the

Las Vegas Strip told police he steered his car into the crowd on the

sidewalk because they were staring at him like demons.

Stephen M. Ressa, 27, also told police he saw people with their hands

in their pockets and thought they might be armed with guns, according

to an arrest report obtained Friday by The Associated Press.

"They were staring at him like they were `demons,'" the report said.

"Ressa admitted he became angry at them, and intentionally steered the

vehicle toward them."

Ressa, of Rialto, Calif., was arrested Wednesday evening shortly after

the car barreled through the crowd and crashed into a cement barrier in

front of Bally's hotel-casino. He remained jailed without bail on

suspicion of murder and attempted murder.

During two interviews with police, Ressa told detectives he had

borrowed his mother's car and drove to Las Vegas, where he spent a few

days gambling at various casinos and slept in the car.

Although Ressa told police he had a drug and alcohol problem, he said

he had used neither Wednesday. He told police he had been prescribed

medication, but had stopped taking it.

Results of alcohol and drug tests were pending.

Rialto police Detective Sgt. Reinhard Burkholder said Thursday that

Ressa was wanted for questioning in an assault on his mother, 54.

"He punched her numerous times in the face and choked her into

unconsciousness and stood over her with a butcher knife," Burkholder

said.

Earlier, Deputy Police Chief Greg McCurdy told reporters that Ressa

appeared lucid and correctly answered questions about his ability to

determine right and wrong. But Ressa's statements were "bizarre in

nature," McCurdy said.

Polish toddler runs over family members in car Sat Sep 24, 1:46 PM ET WARSAW (Reuters) - An 18-month-old child started the family car and ran over three family members in a southern Polish village on Saturday, police said. "The child somehow started the car, whose keys had been left in the ignition, and it began reversing," police spokesman Adam Jachimczak said.The child's mother, who tried to stop the car, and her four-year-old daughter, got run over by the vehicle which pinned the grandfather against the wall of a barn.The four-year-old, who suffered the most serious injuries, was rushed to hospital together with her mother and grandfather who were also hurt, Jachimczak said.

New record for most Valentines sent to guinea pig Fri Sep 23, 1:15 PM ET Sooty has set a new world record for the most valentine cards sent to a guinea pig.The three-year-old guinea pig from Wales received 206 cards from as far away as New Zealand to gain a bizarre entry in the latest edition of Guinness World Records published Thursday.Sooty was joined in the ranks of the world's weirdest and wackiest achievers by Briton Paul Hunn who took the record for the world's largest burp. Louder than a pile driver, his burps can be heard from a distance of 30 yards.Not to be outdone, Canadian Christa Rasanayagam set a new record when accompanied up the aisle by no less than 79 bridesmaids aged from one to 79.American Ashrita Furman found yet more Guinness immortality by pushing an orange one mile with his nose in 24 minutes and 36 seconds.Furman is no stranger to Guinness, laying claim to 94 official records with such bizarre feats as climbing Mount Fuji on a pogo stick, underwater rope jumping and lighting 27,000 candles on a birthday cake in New York.

(Cnn.com)'Goodfella' gets 180 days for methResidue found during luggage searchNORTH PLATTE, Nebraska (AP) -- Former mobster Henry Hill, whose experiences inspired the 1990 gangland movie "GoodFellas," was sentenced Monday to 180 days in jail for attempted possession of methamphetamine.Hill, 62, had been charged with two felony counts of possessing methamphetamine and cocaine, but was allowed to plead no contest on Aug. 8 to the lesser charge. He was given credit for 34 days served in jail.Police said glass tubes were found during a search of Hill's luggage at the North Platte Regional Airport in August 2004 and Nebraska State Patrol tests showed two of the tubes contained methamphetamine and cocaine residue.Hill was arrested last month on a warrant for violating a plea agreement that has spared him if he completed an alcohol-treatment program.Court records said Hill showed up for a pre-sentence meeting with a probation officer with a blood-alcohol level of 0.34 percent -- well above Nebraska's legal driving limit of 0.08 percent.Hill's attorney, Russ Jones, said he would file for work release privileges for Hill, who is employed as a chef at an Italian restaurant.Hill, portrayed by Ray Liotta in "GoodFellas," sought refuge in the witness protection program after agreeing to testify against his former mob bosses from New York.However, he left the witness protection program and lives in North Platte with his wife, who is from the area. Hill also wrote "The Wiseguy Cookbook," released in 2002.