princess

Emmys 2014

Emmy Nominations 2014: Matthew McConaughey, Bryan Cranston, Julia Louis-Dreyfus Vie for Top Honors

By Michelle Tauber

07/10/2014 at 08:45 AM EDT

people.com

The Emmys are coming.

Not surprisingly, HBO's fan favorite Game of Thrones leads the pack of nominees, scoring 19 nods as this year's contenders were announced by Mindy Kaling and Carson Daly in a live webcast Thursday morning.

Following closely are Fargo, which nabbed 18 nominations, and American Horror Story: Coven with 17.

As expected, many of TV's most binge-worthy series are in contention, including AMC's Breaking Bad, HBO's True Detective and FX's Louie.

In a pair of nominations that were all but guaranteed, Matthew McConaughey (True Detective) will face off against Breaking Bad's Bryan Cranston for lead actor in a drama.

A win for McConaughey – who is widely considered the front-runner – would provide an impressive bookend to his Oscar triumph earlier this year. But his competition is formidable: Mad Men's Jon Hamm, The Newsroom's Jeff Daniels, House of Cards' Kevin Spacey and his True Detective costar, Woody Harrelson.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus scored her third consecutive comedy actress nomination for her work in HBO's political satire Veep. (She has won the prize for the past two years.)

She'll be squaring off against Lena Dunham (Girls), Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly), Edie Falco (Nurse Jackie), newcomer Taylor Schilling (Orange Is the New Black) and Amy Poehler (Parks and Recreation).

Another returning nominee: Peter Dinklage, who won for his role as Tyrion Lannister on Game of Thrones in 2011 and is coming off his most arresting season on the series yet.

His competition includes Breaking Bad's Aaron Paul, Downton Abbey's Jim Carter (Mr. Carson!), The Good Wife's Josh Charles (RIP, Will Gardner) and Homeland's Mandy Patinkin.

In the category for leading actress in a drama, Downton's Michelle Dockery will compete against The Good Wife's Julianna Margulies, Homeland's Claire Danes, House of Cards' Robin Wright, Scandal's Kerry Washington and newcomer Lizzy Caplan (Masters of Sex).

The 66th Primetime Emmy Awards will air on Aug. 25 on NBC.

For the complete list of nominations, click here.

Am I the only one pit off when someone is nominated for basically portraying themselves? I.e. Lena Dunham and Matt LeBlanc

I'd like to know what UK chatters think re: Downton's nods - personally I feel wooden Michelle Dockery has all the range of a paper bag. I love Downton but didn't think she deserved a nomination. Oh well.

And I agree with branchop re: people basically acting like themselves. Personally I feel as though too many actors are not really acting -- I can read lines just as *I* would say them in real life but that doesn't mean I'm becoming a character and stepping outside myself, ie ACTING.

:tantrum:

I'm not so sure. Part of me feels they are still playing a character based off themselves, but it's not their "real" persona (and in Matt LeBlanc's case, I have a feeling his life is nothing like that from the episodes I saw, lol). Hence, that's acting.

I'd like to know what UK chatters think re: Downton's nods - personally I feel wooden Michelle Dockery has all the range of a paper bag. I love Downton but didn't think she deserved a nomination. Oh well.

I gave up on Downton Abbey years ago, but I think the Enmys have fallen into the "they have British accents so it must be brilliant!"

It isn't; it's crap. Even devoted UK fans will admit that.

Julian Fellowes is not a good writer IMO - I don't know whether you guys got his Titanic miniseries in the US but it was terrible. He always chucks in lots of exposition instead of properly developing characters.

And end rant, LOL.

Julian Fellowes is not a good writer IMO - I don't know whether you guys got his Titanic miniseries in the US but it was terrible. He always chucks in lots of exposition instead of properly developing characters.

I quite like some of his stuff (I love Gosford Park, and have enjoyed - in a beach read sort of way - his novels). But I think you have to watch/read as a soap opera and not as Jane Austen. As a soap opera fan, I can do that ;-)

I agree re: Downton as soap, which is why I thought the noms are a bit excessive. I can't remember if I've read Fellowes or if I'm thinking of Julian Barnes. I wasn't floored, whoever it was :D

I agree re: Downton as soap, which is why I thought the noms are a bit excessive

Oh yes, this I agree with! I like Downton Abbey. But I don't think Dockery earned an Emmy nod....(except, you know, a Daytime Emmy ;-)

I agree re: Downton as soap, which is why I thought the noms are a bit excessive

Oh yes, this I agree with! I like Downton Abbey. But I don't think Dockery earned an Emmy nod....(except, you know, a Daytime Emmy ;-)

She did - copied from the article above:

In the category for leading actress in a drama, Downton's Michelle Dockery will compete against The Good Wife's Julianna Margulies, Homeland's Claire Danes,House of Cards' Robin Wright, Scandal's Kerry Washington and newcomer Lizzy Caplan (Masters of Sex).

Anyone but Dockery! (And whoever plays the mom :rolleyes: )

Edited by fykeylicious

Dockery *got* an Emmy Nomination. I am stating I don't believe she *earned* one, because I don't think she was very good in Downton.

Dockery *got* an Emmy Nomination. I am stating I don't believe she *earned* one, because I don't think she was very good in Downton.

AHHHHHHH now I see. Derp. Not sure why I didn't catch your meaning the first time, it's pretty clear now what you meant.

I'm pretty tired, though, so maybe that's why. :unsure:

The vagaries of English language. :hellowave: Plus, reading back, I can definitely see how my statement could be interpreted in many ways!

I quite like some of his stuff (I love Gosford Park, and have enjoyed - in a beach read sort of way - his novels). But I think you have to watch/read as a soap opera and not as Jane Austen. As a soap opera fan, I can do that ;-)

I think soap opera is a really good description for Downton! I think Gosford Park shows he can write a particular type of work well, but I don't think he can sustain quality over a longer show.

I think Gosford Park shows he can write a particular type of work well

I completely agree that he has pigeonholed himself - he either can't, won't or won't get published/produced unless it's an Upstairs/Downstairs drama of manners type thing....

Sarah Silverman's boobs look AWESOME! There are so many bad boobs tonight!!!

(Kate Walsh - her boobs were saggy AND uneven in that horrible yellow dress! Hayden Pannetierre - netting? No one but figure skaters should wear netting! Christina Hendricks STILL cannot properly corral those puppies.)

• Like 1

Fuck me Robin Wright is gorgeous. Can't get the photo to link directly from Instagram (I'm not good on that platform ;-) Lainey has the photo in her column today too. Ralph Lauren. Damng

http://www.laineygossip.com/Robin-Wright-is-Best-Dressed-at-the-2014-Emmy-Awards/31126

http://instagram.com/p/sI6WCzl_sy/?modal=true

Edited by Hoyaheel

Julia Louis Dreyfus might have been my favorite last night (not the dress - though it wasn't bad) Just HER. She is amazing and awesome and I want to be like her when I grow up. Won't happen but a girl can dream ;-)

Her timing is perfect, and the kiss with Bryan Cranston (every thing they did together, actually) just made the night for me!

http://hollywoodlife.com/2014/08/25/bryan-cranston-julia-louis-dreyfus-emmys-kiss-2014-emmy-awards/

Edited by Hoyaheel

Not a fan of Monday night for the Emmy's....

Little disappointed in most of the dresses. Host was just okay, but not great. Loved the Robin Williams tribute. I think it's safe to say I need to start watching Veep and Breaking Bad.

I've had Veep on my watch list for a while but I'll have to get dvds. I don't have enough internet at home to stream from Amazon or Netflix even ;-)

I can acknowlege that Breaking Bad was probably a very good show, but I don't have a desire to watch it. I don't love violent shows (I never watched Sopranos, or any of the vampire or zombie shows either ;-)

Watching Fashion Police - sort of agreeing. Joan doesn't like Julia Roberts' dress, but the others do. I liked it (though Julia is too much) The dress looked awesome on her.

OK, they're talking about the VMAs now and they liked Taylor Swift's onesie. NO. Sure, she looks awesome, but hello - camel toe ;-)