Photo

Does anyone read historicals?

90 replies to this topic

#41 Hoyaheel

Hoyaheel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12023 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 04:52 AM

I'm a big fan of the public library--I get the majority of my books there--they order stuff and do inter-library loans for almost anything I want--it's great! I've been on the board of the Friends of my library for years--give my tax deductible charitable donation once a year and feel better about all the work I put them through.

#42 So Jaded

So Jaded

Chatter Box

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 05:35 AM

Hoya - you are lucky. My local library SUXS!!!! The people have the worst attidude in the universe. Another thing that irritates me to KNOW end is that whenever you go YOU HARDLY ever walk out with a freaking thing because either the computer says they have ir and they just did not put it back in place or they dont' have it and then you need to request. IT IS AWFUL.. I go to the library near my job - a complete 360!!! The thing about libraries are that normally I like to read on my pace and I feel that when I have a due date looming I need to hurry hurry hurry. I have a trillion books at home to many bookshelves to count and I feel like if I am reading one from the library I am not helping out the collection at home:( It is a battle of the books.

#43 Hoyaheel

Hoyaheel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12023 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 06:10 AM

I am lucky with the library--esp. since I live in a very small county with pitiful funding. But the library consortium is good, and the staff at our library make quite a difference. I've lived near some crappy libraries too, but the first thing I do when I move to a new place is get a library card--can't help it! Since I rarely buy new books, and tend to buy quick reads at book sales & tag sales, etc. the home shelves aren't overwhelmed--those paperbacks are the ones I like to bring on vacation and leave behind. Another great thing about our library is that I can renew stuff online (or by phone) if I need more time. Plus I'm a quick reader so I don't usually have problems. I've found that if I can't get through a book by the time it's due back at the library, chances are it's time for me to give up on that book (hey, I can add that in the other thread about how do you know when it's time to give up on a book :P )

#44 So Jaded

So Jaded

Chatter Box

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 06:24 AM

I live in a not so small county and in a town that is seriously 20 minutes from NYC.. I can see the skyline from our bedroom window and yet our library sucks. Now I work 1 hour from home, in a much smaller town most people are like WHERE IS THAT??? and yet their library rocks. Lucky for me I am able to get a library card through my job to that library...

#45 leaivory

leaivory

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6000 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 03:36 PM

Another great thing about our library is that I can renew stuff online (or by phone) if I need more time.

OT: Thank you, Hoya. My books are due tomorrow and you just reminded me that I have to renew online. :D

(I also just want to say thanks to everyone for all the great reading ideas in these threads. I mostly just lurk in this forum because by the time I get to reading your suggestions, they're old news here.)

#46 Bette Davis

Bette Davis

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3745 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 06:24 PM

I just saw that Kathleen Woodiwiss has a new book out. If someone reads it, let me know what you think! I love the library. I get lots of stuff from there and donate alot of books too. The only problem is when I am in Borders and I KNOW I have to have the book. I am not going to be on a waiting list for it. That's my problem.

#47 Hoyaheel

Hoyaheel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12023 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:49 AM

The only problem is when I am in Borders and I KNOW I have to have the book. I am not going to be on a waiting list for it.

For me, it's Costco--I don't ever go to bookstores (way too much temptation) but I'm in Costco at least once a week for groceries and I often find a book thrown into my cart :unsure:

I got some GORGEOUS popup books (works of art!!) for all my nieces & nephews for Christmas too, though ;)

#48 Hoyaheel

Hoyaheel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12023 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:51 AM

PS My mom just gave me her Christmas list and she wants the full set of the Diana Gabaldon Outlander series--says used paperback is fine--so I might have to check out all the websites mentioned here ;) I've been using Thriftbooks.com mostly. There's another I can't find the website for right now--it's the California public libraries (can't remember if it's CA or just a county/city in CA) to raise money for the library system--I'd far prefer to support them if I can only find the bookmark--can't remember which computer it's on :rolleyes:

#49 colorine

colorine

ChitChat FANatic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1196 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 04:59 PM

:) Half.com has good deals.

#50 Bette Davis

Bette Davis

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3745 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 02:42 PM

Lots of used bookstores have zillions of historical romances for pennies.

#51 Hoyaheel

Hoyaheel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12023 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:32 AM

Ok, I've read 2/3 of all the Eloisa James by now (they're somewhat uneven-some are really good and others are very superficial and not that interesting) I am totally addicted to Lauren Willig's books--read the first 3 in the past two weeks and am DESPERATELY waiting for Thursday, when the 4th book is supposed to be released :unsure: I'm bummed Julia Quinn doesn't have anything new out.....

#52 DianeXbetty

DianeXbetty

Chatter Box

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:22 AM

I have read three novels by Sarah Waters that are historical in nature. I enjoyed them quite a lot...Affinity, Fingersmith, and Tipping the Velvet. I have bought, but not yet read her newest book, The Night Watch. I hope it will prove to be as good as the others.
I hid in my ordinary days, in the long grass of routine, in my camouflage rooms. You sprawled in my gaze...There you are on the bed, like gift, like a touchable dream.

#53 CamilleXrita

CamilleXrita

Chatter Box

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 03:56 PM

I would like to read them, but unfortunately, I have only seen Tipping The Velvet - I enjoyed it so much when I happened across it one night on TV, I bought the Mini Series. Worth watching as well as reading Im sure.

#54 Hoyaheel

Hoyaheel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12023 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:16 AM

Oh yeah, I watched Tipping the Velvet a couple months ago--very good. Might have to look up those books! I came back from vacation to get a voicemail that the new Lauren WIllig is waiting for me at the library :lol:

#55 dixiedoodah

dixiedoodah

ChitChat FANatic!

• ChitChat Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1198 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:14 PM

Oh yeah, I watched Tipping the Velvet a couple months ago--very good. Might have to look up those books!

I came back from vacation to get a voicemail that the new Lauren WIllig is waiting for me at the library :lol:

I just finished it last night. Are there any other authors similar to her. Light on romance, but still regency? Also, from a later period, I have been running through the Anne Perry Monk and Pitt series of mystery books. Easy and light, plus the extra creep factor of her really being a murderess!

Edited by dixiedoodah, 20 February 2008 - 07:02 PM.

#56 Hoyaheel

Hoyaheel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12023 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 05:50 AM

Hmm, off the top of my head I can't think of any non-romance Regency period but I'll think some more. Most of the mysteries I read that are historical are earlier.....

#57 So Jaded

So Jaded

Chatter Box

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:24 AM

The latest issue of Bookmarks (the magazine just in case you don't know) has a whole two pages dedicated to Tudor England books.....If anyone is interested you can email me your email addy and I can scan the pages and forward... I know some people here are big Tudor England Novels..... Kayla

#58 GovMarley

GovMarley

ChitChat FANatic!

• ChitChat Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1902 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:56 PM

I just saw that Kathleen Woodiwiss has a new book out. If someone reads it, let me know what you think!

I love the library. I get lots of stuff from there and donate alot of books too. The only problem is when I am in Borders and I KNOW I have to have the book. I am not going to be on a waiting list for it. That's my problem.

I was a store manager for Borders and Barnes & Noble in a past life. Talk about a dangerous place to work! Most of my paycheck went to my book addiction.

"Everlasting" was good--I like Kathleen Woodiwiss. My all-time favorite by her is "Shanna". And speaking of pirate books, my second favorite historical romance is "The Pirate and the Pagan" by Virginia Henley. What can I say? I've got a serious jones for pirates. Rowr!

You know, I just realized the main man in both of those books is named Ruark. Strange. Maybe it's the name? ;)

Edited by GovMarley, 01 March 2008 - 10:59 PM.

#59 fykeylicious

fykeylicious

FANatic ChitChatter

• ChitChat Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7381 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:42 AM

I just read two good ones - Lady of the Roses by Sandra Worth and Immortal by Traci Slatton I recommend both of them :)

#60 dixiedoodah

dixiedoodah

ChitChat FANatic!

• ChitChat Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1198 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:27 PM

Based on comments here, I just read the first two Eloisa James books. While I DID enjoy them, they were a little heavy on the romance and a little light on the Regency. Also, I don't know that I can like Alex. He is such an ass. Hard to reconcile him to the Alex in the next book. Do her later books focus as much on the romance (and the sex) or is there more of a balance? I mean, I'm gonna read them, because they are quick and easy and enjoyable, but just not exactly my cup of tea. That's why I preferred the Lauren Willig books. I'm too picky, I know!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users