madamecleo

Does anyone read historicals?

Ah, Lady Jane. I think I was a junior in high school when that movie came out. All of the girls of a certain type (nerdy, Anglophile, AP English), myself included in all groups, were aflutter about that one. To this day, Cary Elwes from that era is the top of my Freebie Five list. I'll have to check out Elizabeth Freemantle.

• Like 1

The trilogy by Sandra Gulland, about Josephine Bonaparte, is awesome. I couldn't put them down.

I've only read one of them, I think, bought on holiday - when I checked here in the UK at the time you couldn't get them here. I really enjoyed the one I read so I'll need to check if that's now changed.

I have 15 pages left in the new Philippa Gregory book "Taming of the Queen" - she's back to the Tudors, this time Kateryn Parr. I've been at the "Why doesn't Henry VIIII just DIE already" phase for the past 150 pages though :BangHead: It's a compelling novel, I still am enjoying Gregory's books!

I have 15 pages left in the new Philippa Gregory book "Taming of the Queen" - she's back to the Tudors, this time Kateryn Parr. I've been at the "Why doesn't Henry VIIII just DIE already" phase for the past 150 pages though :BangHead: It's a compelling novel, I still am enjoying Gregory's books!

I have a trip coming up in February, I'm saving this book for that trip :)

• Like 1

I have a trip coming up in February, I'm saving this book for that trip :)

I've had 2 trips to China in the past month and am going to London on New Year's Day (at least that is a vacation!) I've been reading like mad on my Kindle - but the Gregory book I read from the library. I've been ordering all my Christmas gifts from Amazon with "slow" delivery (instead of 2 day free Prime) so I can get the $1 credit to buy more books before my next trip :-) Even though I have a ton already on there....I like choices!

• Like 2

Deleted because apparently I just pasted a text message from my mom here by accident and I have no idea what I was really going to say!

Edited by dixiedoodah
  • Like 2

About 50 pages from the end of the new Alison Weir - fiction - Katherine of Aragon: The True Queen. Supposed to be the first in a series of 6 - one for each of Henry VIII's wives. I like it. I've been all over the place with Weir's book (or, she's been all over the place?) Her non-fiction I find to be incredibly well researched if occasionally a little dry. Sadly I felt the same way about some of her earlier fiction I've read. I think she's getting into a groove now, though, because this book is 600 pages and it's only taken me a few days :-) If you like Tudor history, you'll enjoy.

• Like 1

About 50 pages from the end of the new Alison Weir - fiction - Katherine of Aragon: The True Queen. Supposed to be the first in a series of 6 - one for each of Henry VIII's wives. I like it. I've been all over the place with Weir's book (or, she's been all over the place?) Her non-fiction I find to be incredibly well researched if occasionally a little dry. Sadly I felt the same way about some of her earlier fiction I've read. I think she's getting into a groove now, though, because this book is 600 pages and it's only taken me a few days :-) If you like Tudor history, you'll enjoy.

Oooh, thanks.

And Philippa Gregory has a new book out or soon to be out - Three Sisters, Three Queens - about Henry VIII's sisters and first wife.

• Like 1

And Philippa Gregory has a new book out or soon to be out - Three Sisters, Three Queens - about Henry VIII's sisters and first wife.

I'm currently reading through her books on the Cousins War. I've just started the Kings Curse, having read the others (I just finished the Kingmaker's Daughters). I liked the Tudor court novels better than this series, which I've picked up and put down.

I agree - I too like the Tudor Court better than the Cousins War. But I am getting better with the genealogy ;-)

• Like 2

I am a bit behind on my reading, but hope to catch up with her books before going to London in September. My sister and I plan to visit The Tower while we are in town for the Harry Potter play, last time we were at the Tower was 20 years ago!

• Like 1

We had so much fun in January - delayed 15th anniversary trip (our anniversary is the end of October but I had a couple of back to back work trips to China) I hadn't been since 1993 and my husband ever - we had a great time! No Harry Potter play, sadly, but we did go to the Tower and the Churchill War Rooms, some historical walking tours. And lots of drinking/pub crawling ;-) I'm envious of your play tickets - hope you & your sis have a fabulous trip!!!

Watch Catastrophe (Amazon) if you haven't seen it yet. I need to watch the 2nd series now - I binged on Series 1 in a day (at work :alien_dance: ) a couple weeks ago. Had seen the lead/writer on Graham Norton a few weeks ago and finally got around to seeing it....

Edited by Hoyaheel
  • Like 1

Love historical walking tours!! No matter what city I'm in, have not been on a bad one yet! We will only be in London for 3 full days, so trying to pack in as much as we can. Got the prime hotel spot so can walk to most things. We've been to London several times, but it's been a while. First time my sister has been out of the country or on vacation since having 2 kids, I think she is more excited than I am! Fun fact: I have stood outside Westminster Abby twice now trying to get in to visit, but they were closed the day I was there so I've just seen the front steps/doors. Here's hoping 3rd time is the charm, lol!!

• Like 1

New Philippa Gregory out - The Last Tudor! I have it on my library reserves list. About Jane Grey (well, all the sisters, I guess).

I'm finishing the 6th book of alt-Tudor history by Laura Andersen - really enjoyable!

Just finished Alison Weir 3rd book on Henry VIII wives - Jane Seymour (I did read the Anne Boleyn book too, just forgot to post) Weir is finally settling in as a novelist - I really enjoyed the Jane Seymour novel - enough history but not pedantic! Her author notes are great too - things she included as a novelist that she would never do as an historian - interesting insights!

• Like 1