princess

Amanda Bynes

Princess, you are awesome. The person I was referring to is my father. He used to think he was Jesus Christ and John F. Kennedy back in the 60's when he first suffered "a nervous breakdown" and he was diagnosed schizophrenic. After more than 30 years of Thorazine, they switched him to resparitol? and diagnosed him bipolar. Thank you so much for clearing this up for me. I got into a screaming match with a nurse practitioner because she told Dad he was bipolar so he stopped taking his meds. I had to admit him to the psych ward for two weeks until he got back on track. My dad is the most amazing man I know. He has always held a good job, taken care of his family and to this day I have never heard him tell one lie. Dad is retired now and has Parkinsons. They thought at first it might be from the Thorazine but we figured out his father had it too so it must be heredity. Can you believe my sister and I used to be pulled from classes in grade school so they could study us? I support any and all research on mental illness. It's more prevalent than people know. Thanks again for helping me understand. :inlove:

KikiTopaz, the drug you mentioned, Risperdal, can play a role in Parkinson's. From wikipedia: "Long Term therapy with the drug involves a greater risk of developing early signs of Parkinson's disease as a result of the neurotransmitter imbalance of higher levels of acetylcholine and extremely low levels of dopamine. This is also seen in patients undergoing short term therapy with risperidone as well." "Parkinsonism" is a possible side-effect of such drugs. Risperdal is a mood stabilizer, originally developed to treat schizophrenia, now used in broader applications including bipolar disorder. I'm not a doctor, but it sure sounds to me as if your dad has schizophrenia, not bipolar disorder. At any rate, the side effects of drugs like thorazine and risperdal can be scary; the hope is that they will do more good than harm.

Not wanting to take meds is always a huge problem for both of these groups. The other issue is that meds are not a "take this and you'll be fine", each person has to have a very special combo of meds to get the levels right on a variety of scales. So even if you pick the right combo of meds (hard enough just to figure that out), you have to mess with the dosage amounts. It can take years of trying different options and the person ends up feeling like a chemistry set. And the side effects can be worse that the illness in some cases. Then you finally get everything right, and the body naturally changes so you have to start adjusting the meds again. Plus you get docs that don't know what the hell they are doing, for instance antidepressants can kick a bipolar person from depression into mania. So how do you treat the depression without getting the person into mania?? Answer = very carefully and with a lot of supervision. I always say that if my birth control pills acted the same way their meds did, I would have been knocked up many times :D

There is a movie called "Mr. Jones" that Richard Gere plays someone with bipolar, very accurate if you're interested. And I've heard A LOT of people with bipolar say when manic they think they're Jesus. I have a lot of mental illness in my family, my Grandfather was prob bipolar but they didn't know anything about the illness at the time. He died alone in a mental hospital in Baltimore. My ex is also bipolar, a prince when level, but I have some crazy manic stories. Plus I work in the addiction industry (I push paper, not the actual doc ;) ) and am amazed at how often someone with a mental illness also has an addiction problem - more than 50% (some reports say 80%).

The good news is they are making HUGE strides in understanding these illnesses, the meds for both illnesses often overlap. Currently the meds have the shotgun approach to an area of the brain, not the specific connection that is missing - which is why so many unwanted side effects. They are working on narrowing down exactly what the drug targets in the brain, so that the side effects are not as severe and the meds are more effective. I'm guessing in 20 years the meds will make what we have now seem laughable. Plus a much better understanding of exactly which connections in the brain are missing in people that have these two illnesses. Google brain activity photos of normal person vs bipolar/schis scans and you get an idea of the complexity. A lot of people think this guy is the one that will lead the way.

KikiTopaz, the drug you mentioned, Risperdal, can play a role in Parkinson's. From wikipedia: "Long Term therapy with the drug involves a greater risk of developing early signs of Parkinson's disease as a result of the neurotransmitter imbalance of higher levels of acetylcholine and extremely low levels of dopamine. This is also seen in patients undergoing short term therapy with risperidone as well." "Parkinsonism" is a possible side-effect of such drugs. Risperdal is a mood stabilizer, originally developed to treat schizophrenia, now used in broader applications including bipolar disorder. I'm not a doctor, but it sure sounds to me as if your dad has schizophrenia, not bipolar disorder. At any rate, the side effects of drugs like thorazine and risperdal can be scary; the hope is that they will do more good than harm.

What meds you're on has nothing to do with the diagnosis, as the meds are used to treat both. It comes down to the individual's body chemistry. And yes, the side effects can be horrifying. One of the best sites I know about meds by people that actually take them (not the docs that have no first hand experience) is CrazyMeds.

Thank you Empress and Princess for the great info. I didn't mean to hijack the Amanda thread.

So..back to the Amanda story...it does sound like she has some issues or is this the answer to the blind item that said a young star was going to emulate Lindsay/Britney or whoever to get their name back in the spotlight? If this is the case, I'm going to fly out to Cali and personally kick her publicist in the kneecaps.

Posted Image

Amanda Bynes Dropped By Agent, Publicist and Lawyer :shocked:

Celebrity News September 21, 2012 AT 10:45AM By Allison Corneau

US Magazine

Troubled former child star Amanda Bynes is on her own.

TMZ reports that the 26-year-old actress -- recently involved in a string of automobile-related trouble -- has been dropped by her agent, publicist and lawyer all within the last few weeks.

According to the site, Bynes employed the trio's services for years, but became "extremely difficult" in the last 12 months, and has been unresponsive when her representatives have tried to contact her. A source tells TMZ that Bynes isn't worried about her team cutting all ties, however, given that she intends to transition from acting to a career in fashion.

Bynes will likely be in court Friday after a judge urged her to appear in person for a hearing about her pending DUI case. (She is on trial after allegedly running into a police car while driving under the influence on April 6; she has also been charged with two hit-and-runs for accidents that occurred on April 10 and August 4.)

The California DMV revoked Bynes' license and her vehicle has been impounded.

"Why did I get put in jail and a Nickelodeon star has had NO punishment(s) so far?" Lindsay Lohan angrily tweeted Sunday as Bynes' legal woes continued to mount.

Throughout the summer, Bynes has maintained her innocence, even taking to Twitter to petition none other than President Barack Obama for assistance in clearing her name. "Hey Barack Obama . . . I don't drink," Bynes tweeted in June. "Please fire the cop who arrested me. I also don't hit and run. The end."

Wow -- you make thousands of dollars of your client and in a time that she needs you (or someone like you) to take control, you drop her flat.

You are truly spectular human beings.

Yes, I imagine that it is propbably pretty hard to deal with a "crazy" person, on the other hand, sending that bill and cashing that commission check was probably pretty fucking easy.

:censored:

Supposedly her parents have leased out their home in Texas and are on their way to Cali to help Amanda. She at least needs some type of evaluation whether it be drugs, alcohol or psychological. My local radio station was reporting about her being thrown out of a spin class for acting strange. She took off her top to reveal a strapless push-up bra (not a sports bra) and began to apply her make-up. She's either on some type of drug or her mental stability is in question. If she's faking this for the attention, I'm going to be extremely pissed. On the other hand, if there really is an issue, I truly hope she gets the help she needs.

Wow -- you make thousands of dollars of your client and in a time that she needs you (or someone like you) to take control, you drop her flat.

Yes, I imagine that it is propbably pretty hard to deal with a "crazy" person, on the other hand, sending that bill and cashing that commission check was probably pretty fucking easy.

To be fair, with three different people dropping her I'm guessing she did some really awful things they aren't sharing with us.... I can see one greedy check-cashing person being an ass, but three?? :3huh:

To be fair, with three different people dropping her I'm guessing she did some really awful things they aren't sharing with us.... I can see one greedy check-cashing person being an ass, but three?? :3huh:

Maybe so, but the timing is pretty coincidental and I am thinking that I can put up with an awful lot if I am cashing her check. Just sayin'

I hear you -- I am just staring to feel pretty bad for her. This doesn't look like a LiLo situation where she is coming off the rails because she can't stop drinking it or putting up her nose and has a mother who is along for the ride.

This situation involves someone who appears to be mentally ill and needs help desperately -- not people abandoning ship.

Hopefully her parents are on the way to help -- even New York is only 5 hours away -- what is keeping them I wonder?

This situation involves someone who appears to be mentally ill and needs help desperately -- not people abandoning ship.

Hopefully her parents are on the way to help -- even New York is only 5 hours away -- what is keeping them I wonder?

Until Amanda wants help, not much anyone else can do but wait for her to hit rock bottom (regardless if this is from drugs or mental illness). Or get her committed, which contrary to what you see in movies is VERY hard to do. Especially in California. At least she does seem to have family that appears to care, unlike LL's family. Very common for the person to run when they know family is getting ready for an intervention. That's why I almost think all her reps dropped her because they DO care. It gets her attention (lack of action can be taken as consent), and they aren't enabling her by keeping the acting jobs going and cashing her checks. Just something to think about. And of course this is assuming mental illness/addiction is the issue here.

I guess see so many families & people that are just trying to help take the blame for not doing enough, when the patients really do have the ability to help themselves.

Amanda Bynes

Charged for Driving on Suspended License

TMZ

Amanda Bynes has just been charged with driving on a suspended license, stemming from her traffic stop last weekend when her car was impounded ... TMZ has learned.

As we reported, Bynes was pulled over last Sunday outside the Burbank Airport. When cops ran her license, they discovered it was suspended. The car was impounded and Bynes got a ticket for driving on a suspended license.

Bynes has been charged with TWO COUNTS of driving with a suspended license. The other incident also occurred at Burbank Airport. The two incidents occurred an hour-and-a-half apart.

FYI -- Amanda is also currently facing a DUI charge and two hit-and-run charges.

As for driving on a suspended license ... the maximum sentence is 6 months in jail for each offense.

"Have you come to the attention of the criminal justice system" is actually a question asked on self-tests for mental illnesses.....

So now I read that she's in New York City. She keeps insisting that she's done acting and trying to pursue a career in fashion. It certainly seems like she's trying to get away from her family as I think they left for California to help her. Princess is right. Committing someone against their will is almost impossible when they are an adult. You almost have to bring criminal charges in order to get them help.

Not even going to bother putting this in the BI forum.

ENTERTAINMENT LAWYER 09/21 **#1**

Which troubled actress who used to be B list when she is a Tween but is probably more famous now than she ever was as an actress has been calling random people on her phone and asking them if they want to come over and have sex. Straight out asking them. No beating around the bush. Just come over right then if you want to have sex with her. She says it a little more crudely, but the point is made. The thing is she is calling every guy in her phone regardless of whether they were a boyfriend or if they are married or if they are old or young. The four people I spoke to all turned her down. She is getting yesses, but not as many as you think.

Amanda Bynes' Bakeshop Bathroom Break: Firefighter Nearly Kicked the Door In, Says Source

by Michelle Falls

Eonline

This place must have really good cupcakes.

It seems Amanda Bynes paid a visit to the Little Cupcake Bakeshop in New York City on Wednesday...and stayed a little over two hours!

What's more, a source tells E! News that the troubled starlet, wearing sunglasses and headphones for most of her stay there, spent a large chunk of time in the restroom.

Full article here.

Paranoid and hiding in public areas, headphones on to drown out the voices.....

Is it any easier to get an adult committed in New York than it is in CA??

I just know in CA it is a bitch. It's hard enough getting them detained under 5150, which is 3 days only. Yes, three days. Then if they don't pass the psych tests (bipolars especially are VERY good at faking people out on psych tests, typically they have very high IQs and are very charming) and you're lucky then you can keep them under 5250, which is an additional 14 days. At that point, if you are lucky enough to even get to this point, they typically end up getting released. Although sometimes it is extended to 5270, which is another 30 days on top of that. So best case, 47 days committed - after that they can leave, or stay on their own free will. I hear NY and other states are similar although the details vary.

So even if she is committed, unless she decides herself to get long-term treatment, it's just a band-aid fix for the current crisis. And often, they won't speak to their families and friends after getting committed (and if you could only get 3 days, they are still super :angry3: ) so things just spiral out of control again that much faster. It is a horrible cycle, even harder to watch it and know there isn't much you can do until they decide themselves to change the pattern. Best you can do is get out of the way, don't provide $$ or in any other way enable, and let them hit rock bottom. :(

ENTERTAINMENT LAWYER 09/29 **#2**

What former B list television and movie actress who is now retired, took a cab to a club, walked in to the club, walked up to the largest guy she saw who also happened to be with a woman. Our actress walked up to him and said he should come back to her hotel with her. It took him two seconds to walk away from the woman he was with and leave the club with the actress.

Posted Image

Jennie Garth on Amanda Bynes: "I Tried Reaching Out to Her"

Celebrity News October 16, 2012 AT 9:15AM By Zach Johnson

US Mag

Amanda Bynes and Jennie Garth pose in the Gold Lounge at the 2007 American Music Awards held at the Nokia Theatre L.A. LIVE on November 18, 2007 in Los Angeles, California. Amanda Bynes and Jennie Garth pose in the Gold Lounge at the 2007 American Music Awards held at the Nokia Theatre L.A. LIVE on November 18, 2007 in Los Angeles, California. Credit: Charley Gallay/AMA/Getty Images

Amanda Bynes' parents aren't the only ones getting the silent treatment.

The troubled 26-year-old actress has also been ignoring Jennie Garth, who played her sister from 2002 to 2006 on the WB sitcom What I Like About You. Us Weekly spoke to Garth, 40, at ELLE's Women in Hollywood event in Beverly Hills October 15.

"I tried reaching out to her and I haven't been able to reach her," said Garth, a single mother of three. "My heart feels for whatever she is going through and I love her dearly."

Bynes' agent, publicists and lawyer have reportedly jumped ship, while her dentist dad, Rick, and her office manager mom, Lynn, are helpless. "Amanda shut them out and isn't speaking to them," a source said in the October 8 issue of Us Weekly.

The actress hasn't worked since 2010's Easy A (she famously retired then "unretired" from acting via Twitter), and since then, her behavior has become increasingly erratic. Bynes' BMW was impounded September 16 after she drove on a suspended license (following an April DUI arrest and two alleged hit-and-runs). In recent months, she has been spotted muttering to herself in stores on both coasts.

"Amanda is out of control," one insider explained. "It's been slowly going on for years, but now it's getting really bad."

I honestly do not believe there is one actress in Hollywood that has a totally healthy relationship with food. That said, there way too many other things going on with Bynes, sad or just effed up (I'm guessing mental health exacerbated by substance abuse)

Are we certain this isn't all an act? Wasn't there a BI about an actress planning to do the full Britney? I think our best guess was this was her.

I do recall that BV, but IIRC Miley Cyrus was a common guess for that one as well as Amanda.

Edit: The only BV I found in the archive referenced a singer and not an actress, though there could be a second one out there that was not posted here. Too many crazies, not enough time.

(I kid, I kid..... :))

Edited by Maxiemom

I honestly do not believe there is one actress in Hollywood that has a totally healthy relationship with food. That said, there way too many other things going on with Bynes, sad or just effed up (I'm guessing mental health exacerbated by substance abuse)

Could be schizophrenia, I believe schizophrenics tend to hear voices and talk to themselves. Dual personality disorder (or whatever the current term is) is different.

Edited by alpierce