Went through photos quickly on my phone last night - will spend more time looking today. Lots I liked, some that were very fashiony and appropriate to the theme, and some that were just "huh"?

http://www.vogue.com/slideshow/13429562/met-gala-2016-red-carpet-celebrity-fashion-live/

http://www.vogue.com/slideshow/13429563/met-gala-best-dressed-celebrities-red-carpet

Vogue doesn't list Katie Holmes' dress designer. They don't know? It's off the rack? No one cared enough to ask??

katie-holmes.jpg

Not sure I love the look of Emma Watson's outfit but I do love the thought behind it - all sustainable materials, some made from recycled plastic bottles. 3 pieces (pants, bustier, train) that can be worn separately. I think I'd like it more if she hadn't worn the same thing to the White House Correspondents dinner, but in a floral I like better :-)

emma-watson.jpg

• Like 1

Effing Cindy Crawford NEVER AGES (neither does Naomi Campbell - but I like Cindy's dress a little better, so ;-)

cindy-crawford1.jpg

I think Katie Holmes was wearing Zac Posen

Yes, I saw that reading through Lainey's posts....And Vogue didn't list the designer for Anna Wintour either, but it's Chanel. It's always Chanel....

the theme Manus x Machina: Fashion in an Age of Technology

I'm going to have to google what "Manus x Machina" means :blink:

the theme Manus x Machina: Fashion in an Age of Technology

I'm going to have to google what "Manus x Machina" means :blink:

From Lainey

Let’s check in with the actual exhibit at the Costume Institute for their specific description of the gallery:

The Costume Institute's spring 2016 exhibition…will explore how fashion designers are reconciling the handmade and the machine-made in the creation of haute couture and avant-garde ready-to-wear. The exhibition will address the founding of the haute couture in the 19th century, when the sewing machine was invented, and the emergence of a distinction between the hand (manus) and the machine (machina) at the onset of mass production. It will explore this ongoing dichotomy, in which hand and machine are presented as discordant tools in the creative process, and question the relationship and distinction between haute couture and ready-to-wear (and) will present a series of case studies to unravel the hand/machine conundrum. At the center will be an installation of toiles and prototypes presented as garments in the making or "monuments to ideas." Emanating from this presentation will be a series of rooms based on traditional métiers of the haute couture, including embroidery, featherwork, artificial flowers, pleating, lacework, and leatherwork, which will be presented alongside versions that incorporate innovative processes, such as 3D printing, computer modeling, bonding and laminating, laser cutting, and ultrasonic welding. A room dedicated to the ateliers of tailoring and dressmaking will reflect the traditional division of a maison de couture.

Finally getting a chance to flip through some photos:

Kayne West wore ripped jeans?!?! Seriously?!?!

kim-kanye-Met-gala-2016-billboard-1250.j

Didn't Madonna wear that almost same dress in years past? It's not a shocking look anyone, just sad.

madonna-front-zoom-16321f83-85e8-4bdb-89

Zoe Kravitz dress made me thinking of a goth lady bug. I like it.

zoe-kravitz-2016metgala.jpg

I think Emma Stone is auditioning for Xena remake?

emma-stone-met-03may16-08.jpg

Rachel McAdams auditioning for Beatlejuice remake?

Rachel-McAdams:-2016-Met-Gala-in-NYC--01

Amy Schumer going for Pretty Women remake?

amy-schumer-a-435.jpg

Katy Perry, wow! Never would have guessed that was her.

katy-perry.jpg

Jennifer Connelly, interesting show choice.

Jennifer-Connelly.jpg

Poor Madonna.

My favorites of the night are Beyonce (unpopular opinion but she was my favorite), and (God help me) the Smith kids. Their video in the Manus x Machina experience was my favorite of them all. There were a few others I really liked, but it's too early for me to remember right now.

Loved Solange but didn't understand how her latex thigh-highs didn't roll down her leg, which they surely would have done on mine 0.4 seconds after putting them on. Zoe Kravitz was adorable.

Gaga and Madonna were sad try-hards. Didn't care for Taylor's look, but she worked it. Didn't like what Alicia Vikander or Selena Gomez wore, either.

And Amber Heard...poor thing. Lainey's piece opened my eyes as to how her look was a total slap in the face. Hopefully Katie Holmes was able to grab her for a second to explain how selling your soul to the devil doesn't help your career.

• Like 1

On my phone, I thought that Katy Perry was Rihanna!

I don't love Fashion fashion as much as Lainey, some of it is just weird (but I do read Vogue....) But I admit the Met Gala is much more fun than the Oscars!!! Because it's not about "pretty" - "pretty" is boring ;-)

http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/guest-diary/2016/jill-krementz-covers-manus-x-machine-at-the-met

In depth look at the actual exhibit. Some of the dresses - and descriptions of the work - are amazing!!!

Untitled-9.jpg

Red dress

"This dress was 3-D printed using stereolithography. It was built layer by layer in a vessel of liquid polymer. The polymer hardens when struck by a laser beam. The technique allows for more texture and transparency than selective laser sintering. Graphic and organic elements come together to evoke dimensional lacework." — Iris van Herpen

White dress

People often think that when you create something by machine it is perfect. But this dress is a good example of the opposite. While the dress was printing, many small 'faults' happened because of the intense heating of the material. This makes the bones irregular, and it makes it look even more real." — Iris van Herpen

• Like 2

OK, I'm posting here for 2017 as well.I'll see if I can edit the title but I don't think I can....

I don't think Gwyneth's outfit is very "avant garde" (the theme this year). Is pink EVER avant garde?

gettyimages-675615218.jpg?quality=90&str

Katie has no style. Period.

gettyimages-675592660.jpg?quality=90&str

Also - Zac Posen designs the same effing dress over and over again.....

Edited by Hoyaheel
  • Like 1