MMM1

Does Anyone Read Chick Lit?

I loved Goodnight, Nobody. Have you read another one of hers, Little Earthquakes? Very good.I liked Enchanted, inc also. I just read a new book called Consider Lily. The authors have another book called Emily Ever After. Cute books.

I loved Goodnight, Nobody. Have you read another one of hers, Little Earthquakes? Very good.I liked Enchanted, inc also. I just read a new book called Consider Lily. The authors have another book called Emily Ever After. Cute books.

I picked up Little Earthquakes, but I wasn't sure about it--it seemed like a downer from the beginning (mini-spoiler alert: wasn't one of the characters going through a miscarriage?). I can't wait to read Goodnight, Nobody. About Enchanted Inc--the only complaint I had was that I wanted more things to happen, kind of faster. It seemed like it was a lot of going to work, office stuff. Maybe that was just me! LOL! I'll probably read the second one, Once Upon Stilettos, sometime.

Ohhhh, I didn't know there was a second! I will have to check it out.Little Earthquakes is a little bit of a downer. It has been a while since I read it so I can't remember exactly what happened. I remember I liked it though. :)

Ohhhh, I didn't know there was a second! I will have to check it out.Little Earthquakes is a little bit of a downer. It has been a while since I read it so I can't remember exactly what happened. I remember I liked it though. :)

Have you tried Marion Keyes? I read her <i>The Other Side of the Story</i> and liked that one quite a bit.

I really like Marian Keyes, though I often have to email my best friend (in London) and ask her what things mean :D There's another english author I like who I find similar in theme, but I can't remember her name--I'm searching now. She has a new book coming out, I think....Ah, Jane Green. New book "Swapping Lives" just came out. I love Sophie Kinsella too--know she's been mentioned in one of these threads too--I find Marian Keyes and Jane Green to be as funny but slightly more serious as well.

Edited by Hoyaheel

Ok, chick lit aficionados (or EW subscribers). I need your help. I was flipping through my Entertainment Weekly from a couple of weeks ago during a flight - I think it was the Summer Preview issue - and they had a section about upcoming book releases. There was one that looked really good, I want to say it had a fashion angle and a mystery angle (gah why can't I remember more details?). But like an idiot I left my magazine in the seat back pocket forevermore. Does anyone have the magazine or recognize the book from my meager description? I've done random searches on Amazon and came up empty.Another book, another mistakenly discarded magazine: People recently reviewed a memoir that the reviewer characterized as kind of a realistic Sex and the City - by a newspaper relationships columnist. Anyone heard of this one?

Ok, chick lit aficionados (or EW subscribers). I need your help.

I was flipping through my Entertainment Weekly from a couple of weeks ago during a flight - I think it was the Summer Preview issue - and they had a section about upcoming book releases. There was one that looked really good, I want to say it had a fashion angle and a mystery angle (gah why can't I remember more details?). But like an idiot I left my magazine in the seat back pocket forevermore. Does anyone have the magazine or recognize the book from my meager description? I've done random searches on Amazon and came up empty.

Could be Julie Kenner's new book (her first one was The Givenchy Code (lol) and I'm pretty sure she's got another one coming out right about now. Or else it just came out. Try searching under her name. Do you remember if it was a hardcover or a paperback (ie, price point?)?

I'll check around and see if I can find anything else (I know a lot of writers and readers). If you remember anything else about it, let me know. Color of the cover, etc.

No, it's not Julie Kenner's new book (but I'm glad you suggested it might be - I just searched her name on Amazon. "The Manolo Matrix"? LOL!!!!)I think it was coming out in trade paperback and I swear the cover had hot pink on it (but that probably doesn't narrow it down much in the chick lit arena). I want to say it was mostly white with black print and pink accents.

No, it's not Julie Kenner's new book (but I'm glad you suggested it might be - I just searched her name on Amazon. "The Manolo Matrix"? LOL!!!!)

I think it was coming out in trade paperback and I swear the cover had hot pink on it (but that probably doesn't narrow it down much in the chick lit arena). I want to say it was mostly white with black print and pink accents.

I figured it out, I think. Spying in High Heels by Gemma Halliday. Pretty sure.

Let me know if I got it!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good Pride & Prejudice "sequel"? I've found a bunch listed online (boy, Jane Austen fans are superfans deluxe!!) Just wondering if anyone had any personal recommendations?I've read all the Stephanie Barron mysteries (written as if Jane Austen is the detective--very fun to read), after watching Pride & Prejudice again over the weekend (the Colin Firth version :P ) I remembered I wanted to read one of the follow-ups written in modern time....

I'd recommend "Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife: Pride and Prejudice Continues," by Linda Berdoll. It's a very sexy, very smart extension of P&P--*lots* of snarky, wink-wink double entendres. I was disappointed in the recent follow-up ("Darcy and Elizabeth"), which had major plot issues--like the author decided to jump back into the setting/characters without really knowing what the point of the book was. The first book was really fun, though, in a "I-know-this-is-fluff-but-by-God-let's-live-it-up" sort of way.

Edited by Leia1912

), after watching Pride & Prejudice again over the weekend (the Colin Firth version :P )

Mmmm...one of my favorite movies.I haven't read any of the "sequels", so I'm interested in hearing too.

I'd recommend "Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife: Pride and Prejudice Continues," by Linda Berdoll. It's a very sexy, very smart extension of P&P--*lots* of snarky, wink-wink double entendres.

I'm on that one. Sounds fun.

Did anyone ever read that follow-up to DuMaurier's Rebecca...I think it was called Mrs De Winter? Just wondering if it was any good.

Did anyone ever read that follow-up to DuMaurier's Rebecca...I think it was called Mrs De Winter? Just wondering if it was any good.

Yes. I didn't like it. No sense of gothic like the original.

On the other hand, I loved Wide Sargasso Sea (prequel to Jane Eyre) and I know a lot of people didn't like that, so personal preference will play a role, of course :D

Yes. I didn't like it. No sense of gothic like the original.

On the other hand, I loved Wide Sargasso Sea (prequel to Jane Eyre) and I know a lot of people didn't like that, so personal preference will play a role, of course :D

LOL. I was supposed to read Wide Saragasso Sea for a college class....erm...but I never did.

I do have a friend who wrote an extremely erotic, S&M version of Jane Eyre that she's trying to get published. It has Jane tying up Mr. Rochester and having her way with him....LOL.

• Like 1

Hey, it could get published. There are many, er, non-traditional Austen books on the market. Emma Tennant published one that had Jane Austen's Emma as a lesbian, for example. (I myself wish for one in which Fanny Price from "Mansfield Park" runs off with Henry Crawford after all--watch the 1999 film of "Mansfield Park" to see a really yummy Henry.)

Hey, it could get published. There are many, er, non-traditional Austen books on the market. Emma Tennant published one that had Jane Austen's Emma as a lesbian, for example. (I myself wish for one in which Fanny Price from "Mansfield Park" runs off with Henry Crawford after all--watch the 1999 film of "Mansfield Park" to see a really yummy Henry.)

Well, there goes another flick to be added to my Netflix queue. Thanks for the hint, Leia!

I finished Mr Darcy Takes a Wife a couple weeks ago and it turns out Linda Berdoll released another follow-up in March--Darcy & Elizabeth: Nights and Days at Pemberly....So I just requested that at the library. I really enjoyed the first "sequel"--lots of action & sex :D

Just finished "Carrie Pilby" (red dress ink) by Caren Lissner. One of the more insightful chick lit books that I've read...it's about a quirky genius type with lousy social skills.

Just finished "Everyone Worth Knowing", same author as Devil Wears Prada. Very cute. :)

Just finished it last night. I liked it.... quick, easy, funny, predictable.