86 replies to this topic

#21 Bette Davis

Bette Davis

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3745 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:45 PM

Gone with the Wind. Casablanca. Godfather I and II.

#22 golden*girl

golden*girl

Chatter Box

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:50 PM

I've seen more pre-1970 films than post-, so I'm just going with the blanket no remakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There aren't enough decent ones to justify them in general.

But to be more specific ...

No Hitchcock remakes. No.
No remakes of any film noir.
No classic film musicals. No way. Especially not On the Town or any Fred and Ginger stuff.
The Thin Man--no touchy.
Anything that originally starred Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn, or Jimmy Cagney. Leave it alone.
No Greta Garbo or Marlene Dietrich vehicles. Don't do it, Hollywood. :ph34r:

Edited by golden*girl, 09 July 2007 - 10:54 PM.

#23 taco

taco

ChitChat FANatic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2927 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:24 AM

I've seen more pre-1970 films than post-, so I'm just going with the blanket no remakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There aren't enough decent ones to justify them in general.

No classic film musicals. No way. Especially not On the Town or any Fred and Ginger stuff.
The Thin Man--no touchy.
Anything that originally starred Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn, or Jimmy Cagney. Leave it alone.

NEVER !!
No studio should ever mess around with the sublime Nick & Nora <_<
Im bringing wine tonight. Its from a merlot from nashville. I bet it'll taste like infidelity and teenage pregnancy.
[ text from the 901]

#24 Serendipity

Serendipity

ChitChat FANatic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1913 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:47 AM

The Thin Man--no touchy.

NEVER !!
No studio should ever mess around with the sublime Nick & Nora <_<

I love The Thin Man-- even have a photo of Nick and Nora on my desk here at work! I shudder to think that anyone would dare to remake the perfection of those movies.
"We're all sisters under the mink." - gangster moll Gloria Graham to blackmailer Jeanette Nolan in "The Big Heat" 1953

#25 Bette Davis

Bette Davis

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3745 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 02:38 PM

The Thin Man is the best mystery series EVER. It did start getting a little old when Nick Jr. came along but still NO REMAKES.

#26 Bette Davis

Bette Davis

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3745 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 02:52 PM

(IMDB.COM)

Stars Team Up for 'The Women'

Meg Ryan, Annette Bening, Eva Mendes, Jada Pinkett Smith, Debra Messing and Candice Bergen are teaming up for a remake of the 1939 classic The Women. The cast members, who have either signed up for the movie or are on the verge of doing so, will be directed by Diane English, who has spent more than 10 years trying to get the project off the ground. Despite its all-star cast, The Women has a budget of less than $20 million, reports Daily Variety. The 1939 original was directed by George Cukor and starred Norma Shearer and Joan Crawford.

The Women was perfect. Noone will direct it as well as Cukor and noone will make a better femme fatale then Joan Crawford was.

#27 golden*girl

golden*girl

Chatter Box

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:31 PM

(IMDB.COM)

Meg Ryan, Annette Bening, Eva Mendes, Jada Pinkett Smith, Debra Messing and Candice Bergen are teaming up for a remake of the 1939 classic The Women. The cast members, who have either signed up for the movie or are on the verge of doing so, will be directed by Diane English, who has spent more than 10 years trying to get the project off the ground. Despite its all-star cast, The Women has a budget of less than $20 million, reports Daily Variety. The 1939 original was directed by George Cukor and starred Norma Shearer and Joan Crawford.

The Women was perfect. Noone will direct it as well as Cukor and noone will make a better femme fatale then Joan Crawford was.

A remake of The Women will be absolute crappity-crap. -_- You would think no one out there was doing any original screenwriting. :rolleyes:

#28 golden*girl

golden*girl

Chatter Box

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:39 PM

You know what I think can work as a remake? Something like King Kong. A remake of films like The Blob or [i]Godzilla[i] might not bug me, because as spectacles they could do with updating. The effects are so dated that viewers can't really suspend their disbelief, so we can't experience what the film's creators intended.

#29 fykeylicious

fykeylicious

FANatic ChitChatter

• ChitChat Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7340 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:57 PM

You know what I think can work as a remake? Something like King Kong. A remake of films like The Blob or [i]Godzilla[i] might not bug me, because as spectacles they could do with updating. The effects are so dated that viewers can't really suspend their disbelief, so we can't experience what the film's creators intended.

that "secret" movie whose trailer premiered before transformers looks like a godzilla remake to me. if so, it looks pretty cool.

#30 annabeast

annabeast

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4304 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:58 PM

(IMDB.COM)

It was also the genteel delivery of the snark that made the movie great, the acid spit through a sweet smile. Women aren't trained to act like "ladies" in awkward social situations anymore, so this brand of humor isn't relevant for contemporary times. I vote NO REMAKE!!
I know that dude. - Jeff Spicoli, Fast Times at Ridgemont High

#31 annabeast

annabeast

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4304 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:08 PM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Hairspray yet. Oh yeah, it's too late.

#32 cathmonast

cathmonast

Chatter Box

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:39 PM

Well Hairspray is actually the adaptation of the musical which was an adapatation of the John Waters' movie. So: is this qualify as a remake? To a certain extent yes since it has the same characters and same storyline. However the movie is a musical...in true " Broadway, eat your heart out Fosse" kinda way. As for remake I don't want to see: Spice girls 2 the return. Nuff said. Oops that is a sequel I wouldn't want to see a remake of Roman Holiday, Annie Hall, Manhattan, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Kiss me Kate and Beetlejuice.

Edited by cathmonast, 10 July 2007 - 07:54 PM.

"It's alright Andy, it's bolognese!"-Hot Fuzz

#33 hedda_louella

hedda_louella

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3391 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:10 PM

It was also the genteel delivery of the snark that made the movie great, the acid spit through a sweet smile. Women aren't trained to act like "ladies" in awkward social situations anymore, so this brand of humor isn't relevant for contemporary times. I vote NO REMAKE!!

Agreed. I take heart in the knowledge that they have been trying to remake this flick for 20 or 30 years. I can't even count the number of times it's been cast. I'm still hoping this one falls apart before they shoot anything.

If they go through with it - I'll be seeing red. Jungle Red.

#34 taco

taco

ChitChat FANatic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2927 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:25 AM

Everybody Cut "Footloose" -- Again
Posted Jul 11th 2007 12:08PM by TMZ Staff
Filed under: Movies
Get ready to kick off your Sunday shoes -- Paramount is re-making "Footloose." Oowhee, Marie!

Zac Efron, of "High School Musical" and "Hairspray" fame, will take on the Kevin Bacon role as the rebellious newcomer in a town where dancing has been banned.

Let's just hope Zac dances as well with a tractor as Kevin did.

I can't believe this craptacular film needs a remake, it's perfect trash as is.
Im bringing wine tonight. Its from a merlot from nashville. I bet it'll taste like infidelity and teenage pregnancy.
[ text from the 901]

#35 annabeast

annabeast

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4304 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:54 PM

Everybody Cut "Footloose" -- Again
Posted Jul 11th 2007 12:08PM by TMZ Staff
Filed under: Movies
Get ready to kick off your Sunday shoes -- Paramount is re-making "Footloose." Oowhee, Marie!

Zac Efron, of "High School Musical" and "Hairspray" fame, will take on the Kevin Bacon role as the rebellious newcomer in a town where dancing has been banned.

Let's just hope Zac dances as well with a tractor as Kevin did.

I can't believe this craptacular film needs a remake, it's perfect trash as is.

I actually think this one could work if it could they could camp it up, poke fun of itself. But with Zac Efron, not a possibility.

#36 Avalon

Avalon

ChitChat FANatic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:55 AM

No remake of "The Outsiders"...the original Brat Pack - I can just see H'Wood itching to launch a new boy-band-esque clique of up and comings and using the film as a launch. Ponyboy will forever be C. Thomas Howell....and where has he gone btw.....last seen in the Hitcher (another film that should never have been remade......
"Scum of the Earth" is 2010's "rude thoughtless little pig." - MK, DListed

#37 fykeylicious

fykeylicious

FANatic ChitChatter

• ChitChat Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7340 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:25 PM

I don't know if anyone said this already, but any of the John Hughes films from the 80s

#38 branchop

branchop

ChitChat FANatic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2701 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:41 PM

Grease
The most accident prone person on the planet..... :(

#39 soho2chelsea

soho2chelsea

FANatic ChitChatter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9576 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:46 PM

The Thin Man--no touchy.

Amen and hallelujah to ALL of those!
“Fashion is not about utility. An accessory is merely a piece of iconography used to express individual identity.”

#40 jgr0602

jgr0602

ChitChat FANatic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2470 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:45 AM

I think that remakes are generally underwhelming. I don't think I can up with a remake that I liked better than the original. I can live without Hollywood ever remaking a movie. I wish they could come up with more original movies than constant remakes or sequels. Then again, I guess it's what the audience wants, the top three grossing movies of this year so far are Spidey 3, Shrek 3 and Pirates 3. HP 5 will probably join those movies soon.
''If entertainers stop publicly congratulating each other, then the Earth wins.'' - Stephen Colbert

"You know I'm not about to go to Texas and not ride the mechanical bull, Chelina. That would be like going to Los Angeles and not sleeping with Paris Hilton." - Alan Shore, Boston Legal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users