Lea

Miley Cyrus

Miley Cyrus "Embarrassed" by Semi-Topless Vanity Fair Pics

Sunday April 27, 2008

Buzz up!Miley Cyrus is apologizing to fans ahead of the release of a controversial photograph showing the 15-year-old Disney star semi-topless in the new issue of Vanity Fair, on newsstands this week.

"I took part in a photo shoot that was supposed to be 'artistic' and now, seeing the photographs and reading the story, I feel so embarrassed," she told Usmagazine.com in a statement.

"I never intended for any of this to happen and I apologize to my fans who I care so deeply about," the Us Power Girl added.

Cyrus is seen with a blanket wrapped around her chest in the photo, taken by noted photographer Annie Leibovitz. (See more topless stars here.)

The picture accompanies an interview with the Hannah Montana star and her father, Billy Ray.

The scandal comes the same week as photos of a lingerie-clad Cyrus leaked online. Fox News host Bill O'Reilly called for a "conference" to discuss the images.

Vanity Fair editors were quick to respond, telling Entertainment Tonight Sunday, "Miley's parents and/or minders were on the set all day."

"Since the photo was taken digitally, they saw it on the shoot and everyone thought it was a beautiful and natural portrait of Miley," the editors said.

"In fact, when [Vanity Fair writer] Bruce Handy interviewed Miley, he asked her about the photo and she was very cheerful about it and thought it was perfectly fine," the editors added.

A Disney Channel spokesperson told ET: "Unfortunately, as the article suggests, a situation was created to deliberately manipulate a 15-year-old in order to sell magazines."

Did anyone else notice that in the Vanity Fair pictures she oddly resembles the girl (Morgan) from the RING!!!! NOT her best look at all - I do not care if she is half naked - it is just straight up a tad bit scarey...

Does anyone else think it is rather odd -that they waited until her parents left to do this shot? This is probably the spin they are putting on it - but still would her grandmother or teacher be able to have any say so whether this was to go on or not?

This reminds me of the whole Britney thing on Rolling Stone, except it wasn't Annie Liebovitz and it wasn't Vanity Fair.

LL started out fresh and innocent too....look out in a few years she will be the new Lilo drinking and drugging all over town !!

Does anyone else think it is rather odd -that they waited until her parents left to do this shot? This is probably the spin they are putting on it - but still would her grandmother or teacher be able to have any say so whether this was to go on or not?

Vanity Fair totally denies that her parents/chaperones/Disney suits left her alone at the shoot......That everyone saw the photos--they were digital--as they were being shot, and when she was interviewed about the photos for the magazine interview she loved them.....

Yes, that shot is way creepy. Not quite Creepy-Dad-Joe-Simpson creepy, but darn close. IMO, Billy Ray was a bit of a "has been" and is riding Miley's popularity for a spot back in the limelight. I also think the whole photo incident is being blown up to increase mag sales and I don't think Vanity Fair instigated the publicity either.

That pic is waaayyy too sensual for comfort. :angry: What the hell is Billy Ray thinking letting this kind of pose be photographed and published? I'm not a prude by any means, but fathers and their daughters just don't pose this way together. Never. I wouldn't think twice if it were someone unrelated but I don't like this at all.

And yeah, I agree with the Billy Ray riding daughter's coattails bit. He had his chance with fame, it was short and sweet. If he can't get out there without using his daughter then he needs to find something else to do with his time.

Yeah, I'm just trying to picture a scenario in which I'd be sitting like this with my dad . . . NOPE, can't think of any! And my dad was of the touchy-feely "dads should hug their kids" school of parenting, but I still can't picture this EVER happening. Inappropriate, and way squickier than the other pic. Maybe they're trying to divert attention from the truly disturbing photo by calling attention to the other one?

NEVER should have watched that youtube video. It makes the photo seem even more creepy, and it's all about Miley and her facial expressions and movements, not so much Billy Ray.

Edited by bittermuch?

I caught a segment of the Today Show this morning regarding Miley's Vanity Fair pics and opinion's on it.

Donny Deutch (from The Big Idea with Donny Deutch) (sp?) said he thinks it was all completely orchestrated.

Meaning, he thinks Miley and the family knew exactly what kind of photos they were planning on shooting, planning on printing, etc. He said the "I'm embarrassed" part was all planned, as well.

He said in a sense, it was brilliant because a) she got to have her pictures out there and let people see her more "adult" side because eventually she's going to have to segway past the tween market and get an older fan base and B) because they went with a publication like Vanity Fair, he anticipates that all the 7 and 8 year olds that are obsessed with Hannah Montana, etc., won't ever even be privy to those photos or care or understand. So Donny thinks they played it perfectly. Show your "adult" side (he didn't agree it was appropriate, though...) and at the same time, send out the "I'm embarrassed" and keep the parents of the kids that like you to give you another chance.

ETA: The "smiley face" in the above paragraph is supposed to be the letter "b". It keeps transferring it to a picture, though.

Edited by noodle

I know I defend her a lot - and I will continue to ( I also defended Lindsay a lot and look where it got me ;) ) but the article does not go with the pictures. Honestly it could have been written for Tiger Beat.

I agree with Donnie Deutch that this is one big publicity spin on their part. However, if Annie Liebovitz, probably the most recognizable name in photography asked you to do pose a certain way, I would think "well she knows what she is doing".

I really don't like the picture of her in the sheet. Basically because it looks as if she has just had sex - complete with the missing clothes, marred lipstick and tousled hair. And she look 12......UGH! Artistic yes, if Annie was going for the Lolita look. (which she probably was - and succeeded!)

But the other two don't bother me as much. The one with her Dad, although slightly disturbing, probably didn't feel that way on the shoot. And the last one - looks like a teenager.... doing teenagery things.

Here is a link to the article: Vanity Fair - Miley Cyrus Article

Edited by branchop

I know I defend her a lot - and I will continue to ( I also defended Lindsay a lot and look where it got me ;) ) but the article does not go with the pictures. Honestly it could have been written for Tiger Beat.

I agree with Donnie Deutch that this is one big publicity spin on their part. However, if Annie Liebovitz, probably the most recognizable name in photography asked you to do pose a certain way, I would think "well she knows what she is doing".

I really don't like the picture of her in the sheet. Basically because it looks as if she has just had sex - complete with the missing clothes, marred lipstick and tousled hair. And she look 12......UGH! Artistic yes, if Annie was going for the Lolita look. (which she probably was - and succeeded!)

But the other two don't bother me as much. The one with her Dad, although slightly disturbing, probably didn't feel that way on the shoot. And the last one - looks like a teenager.... doing teenagery things.

Here is a link to the article: Vanity Fair - Miley Cyrus Article

I don't like that picture of her in the sheet either, but mainly b/c her coloring is off and I think she looks like a sexed up version of Linda Blair in The Excorcist

Why isn't anyone blaming Annie Liebowitz for those pictures? Just wondering.

That picture of Miley and Daddy is creepy to the max :ph34r:

Just to clarify, I don't blame Vanity Fair nor Annie Liebowitz. The fault lies completely with her parents (especially dad) for this. She's underage, so even she isn't to blame.....although there's no way this chic is as innocent as she pretends to be.

That's the shot I thought was the creepiest, certainly not the pic of Miley with the sheet. That's so innocuous and so overdone. Annie Leibowitz uses that constantly. Yawn.

Annie Leibovitz Sorry Miley Portrait Was 'Misinterpreted'

By Ulrica Wihlborg

Photographer Annie Leibovitz is weighing in on her controversial Vanity Fair photograph of Miley Cyrus, in which the teenager appears to be topless, saying she finds the image "simple" and "beautiful."

"I'm sorry that my portrait of Miley has been misinterpreted," says Leibovitz in a statement issued Monday. "Miley and I looked at fashion photographs together and we discussed the picture in that context before we shot it. The photograph is a simple, classic portrait, shot with very little makeup, and I think it is very beautiful."

After the image was leaked on the Internet over the weekend, Cyrus issued an exclusive statement to PEOPLE saying, "My goal in my music and my acting is always to make people happy. For Vanity Fair, I was so honored and thrilled to work with Annie. I took part in a photo shoot that was supposed to be 'artistic' and now, seeing the photographs and reading the story, I feel so embarrassed."

Cyrus's parents were at the shoot, including her dad Billy Ray who also posed for photographs with his 15-year-old daughter. Although Cyrus’s parents left before the controversial photograph – in which the singer is actually clothed but appears to be nude – was taken, her grandmother and her teacher were present.

Vanity Fair's spokeswoman, Beth Kseniak, said of the photo: "Miley's parents and/or minders were on the set all day. Since the photo was taken digitally, they saw it on the shoot and everyone thought it was a beautiful and natural portrait of Miley."

Posted Image

Yeah, the shot with Pops is creepy enough but put it together with this one and it's just inappropriate for a 15 year old girl. (I know, my fogeyness is showing but seriously, there's no need for a kid to do these shots.)

This Miley kid is headed for a breakdown.

Posted Image

Yeah, the shot with Pops is creepy enough but put it together with this one and it's just inappropriate for a 15 year old girl. (I know, my fogeyness is showing but seriously, there's no need for a kid to do these shots.)

This Miley kid is headed for a breakdown.

Well, I don't know about that. It's not like she's naked and sitting there with her legs splayed for all to see.

Honestly (and this is dating me), that pic with the sheet reminds me of the stuff Brooke Shields used to do when she was a minor (and even younger than Miley).

Well, I don't know about that. It's not like she's naked and sitting there with her legs splayed for all to see.

Honestly (and this is dating me), that pic with the sheet reminds me of the stuff Brooke Shields used to do when she was a minor (and even younger than Miley).

It's the overt sexuality in both shots that I find disturbing, as I found it disturbing with Brooke Shields back in the day. Of course with Shields there was a clearly defined villain. Her mother Teri was always the stage-parent from hell. With Miley Cyrus' father making his comeback on his daughter's back - I suspect he's the one to watch.

Teenagers are sexual, there's no question about that and there's nothing unhealthy about it. I just dislike it when the sexuality of children is used to sell products, movies, magazines, music, whatever. Let them grope each other in cars and be slightly embarrassed about it later. We don't have to see their simulated nudity and their parents shouldn't want us to, imo.

ETA: My "she's headed for a breakdown" comment wasn't based solely on her skeevy VF shots. It's the whole teen phenom, Next Britney, recording work, television work, movie work, touring work, publicity work, etc., when she's only 15 years old. I'm suspicious of the normalcy factor in the life she's living. Kids tend to pay a high price for that shit later on, usually in some form of breakdown/drug addiction/whatever.

But I'm a total fogey, so that's just the way I see it. ;)

Edited by hedda_louella

It's the overt sexuality in both shots that I find disturbing, as I found it disturbing with Brooke Shields back in the day. Of course with Shields there was a clearly defined villain. Her mother Teri was always the stage-parent from hell. With Miley Cyrus' father making his comeback on his daughter's back - I suspect he's the one to watch.

Teenagers are sexual, there's no question about that and there's nothing unhealthy about it. I just dislike it when the sexuality of children is used to sell products, movies, magazines, music, whatever. Let them grope each other in cars and be slightly embarrassed about it later. We don't have to see their simulated nudity and their parents shouldn't want us to, imo.

I agree about the over-sexing of kids, but the way some kids dress these days, this would be REALLY tame. I showed this photo to my 16-year-old daughter who really likes Miley. She said, she looks like she just got out of the shower...she would look better if she got dressed. No comment on the "sexy pose", just that it was stupid. I would bet most kids would feel about the same. Kids are not making a big deal about this, parents are. This parent thinks there are a lot of good things about this girl and this will be a good lesson for her. She's rich, she's successful and yet we want her to stay an innocent babe-in-the-woods. There's a lot of wolves out there. Lots of luck, Miley. I think she's actually doing pretty darn well.

That's the shot I thought was the creepiest, certainly not the pic of Miley with the sheet. That's so innocuous and so overdone. Annie Leibowitz uses that constantly. Yawn.

Why isn't anyone ARRESTING Annie Liebowitz for these photos. If this had been a male photographer or appeared in Playboy exactly as they are now, someone would be in cuffs.