cydonia

Sci Fi TV

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!

SCI FI To Air Firefly Episodes

SCI FI Channel announced that it will air reruns of Fox's canceled SF series Firefly, including three episodes that never aired on Fox. SCI FI will air all 14 hours of the show, from creator Joss Whedon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer), starting July 22, in the 7 p.m. ET/PT Friday timeslot. It will be followed by new episodes of Stargate SG-1 at 8, Stargate Atlantis at 9 and Battlestar Galactica at 10.

The channel will air the episodes in their intended order, beginning with Whedon's pilot. (Fox, by contrast, began with the show's third produced hour, "The Train Job," and aired the two-hour pilot at the end of the show's abortive first season.) SCI FI acquired exclusive rights to the show from 20th Century Television, which produced the show for the Fox Broadcasting Co.

Firefly centers on the ragtag crew of the firefly-class transport ship Serenity 500 years in the future, led by renegade Capt. Mal Reynolds (Nathan Fillion), a veteran of the losing side in a galactic civil war.

Universal Pictures will release Serenity, a theatrical film based on Firefly, on Sept. 30. Universal and SCI FI are owned by NBC Universal, which also owns SCIFI.COM.

I'm big SF fan, and for a long, long! But being from Croatia, I'm behind with TV shows. I wrote a lot about Star Trek, mostly on, from this year closed, Gene Roddenberry's Philosophysphere forum. My alltime favourite is DS9, and I'll defend it always.

My alltime favourite is DS9, and I'll defend it always.

I loved DS9. Definitely the most cerebral of the ST's. It's second favorite of the franchise. ST:TNG is still my favorite just b/c it was my first. :)

I watched the 4400 during the first season.I missed the season opener but have been catching the other episodes. I really like the show. So the acting might not be the greatest but the stories are pretty cool. Plus so much Eyecandy :P

4th of July...Twilight Zone Marathon...I didn't know it was on this weekend...I wouldn't have gone to any cookouts or even left the house! :D

Roush Review - TVGuide.comReady for BattleGalactica is in a dark galaxy all its ownSci-fi/horror is making a TV comeback this fall, with several new network series aiming to scare us silly with aliens and other creatures. Any of them would be lucky to be half as riveting as Battlestar Galactica, the wildly intense gem from Sci Fi Channel's justifiably popular Friday-night three-pack. Galactica ended its first season with a bang: the shooting of the ship's commander (Edward James Olmos) by a crew member who'd just learned she's a Cylon (a sinister, evolving robot race) who has multiple clones. The second season starts with a jump, as the ship leaps in space to avoid the Cylons but is separated from the rest of the fleet and leaves other characters behind on two war-torn planets. Complex and provocative, with dark and violent twists, Galactica is often excruciatingly suspenseful as the outnumbered and outgunned humans try to escape extinction. It's not to be missed. I'm less glued to the night's other shows, though I've become a late convert to the irreverent whimsy of Stargate SG-1, which benefits in its ninth season from the appealing additions of Beau Bridges and, from the still-lamented Farscape, Ben Browder and (in a recurring role) Claudia Black. The first episodes have fun with Arthurian legend, but don't ask me to explain this show's convoluted mythology. Its spin-off, Stargate Atlantis, gets off to a rousing start as the ancient city fends off an attack from the fearsome Wraith. The Stargate shows are diverting enough, but Galactica is the real deal: a tough, scary, fully imagined sci-fi classic for the ages.

Sci-Fi Channel Sends Friday into Outer Space

Posted Image

(Sunday, July 10 12:02 AM)

By Kate O'Hare

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) Actor Ben Browder had a strange moment not long ago while participating in a photo shoot for his new show, "Stargate SG-1," which launches its ninth season on Friday, July 15 (the same day "Stargate Atlantis" and "Battlestar Galactica" begin their sophomore seasons), on Sci-Fi Channel.

"I was standing there," recalls the actor, who for four seasons played American astronaut John Crichton, who was propelled through a wormhole into uncharted space on Sci-Fi's Friday series "Farscape," "and there was a moment I thought, 'I'm the new one in the mix.' Then I realized, 'No, wait, Sci-Fi Friday night. I've been here longer than everybody else.' Actually, someone commented, 'We got the new guy over here.' I said, 'Sci-Fi Friday night? Were you here in 1999? No? Shut up.'"

With "Stargate" star Richard Dean Anderson scaling back his involvement (although he does appear in two of the first three episodes, at least), Browder is playing new SG-1 team leader Lt. Col. Cameron Mitchell (no relation to the same-named actor). He's a fighter pilot who was seriously injured (but not seen) while saving the SG-1 team in an episode called "Lost City."

The SG-1 team -- Brig. Gen. Jack O'Neill (Anderson), Dr. Daniel Jackson (Michael Shanks), Lt. Col. Samantha Carter (Amanda Tapping) and alien Teal'c (Christopher Judge) -- already know Mitchell, and flashbacks will flesh out his history.

After spending years in Australia doing "Farscape," Browder says, "I stepped through a wormhole and wound up in another portion of the universe -- Vancouver."

Browder also reunites with "Farscape" co-star (and on-screen love) Claudia Black, who reprises her "SG-1" role of thief Vala, introduced last season in an episode called "Prometheus Unbound."

"I love working with her," Browder says, "and she really plays a different character, so that part of it is easy. It's good to have someone around that you can occasionally turn to and go, 'How bad was that? Do I need to go again?'"

Also joining the "Stargate SG-1" cast this year for new adventures hopping through alien portals to distant worlds is Beau Bridges ("10.5," "The Agency") as Gen. Henry "Hank" Landry. He comes out of retirement to replace old pal O'Neill as head of Stargate Command.

"You can quote me," Browder says, "as a confidently heterosexual male -- Beau's gorgeous. He's tremendous fun to have around. He knows his business; he's got great stories."

Also on hand in a recurring role is Lou Gossett Jr., as the alien Jaffa leader Gerak.

"The second Lou hits the set," Browder says, "you know you're in the presence of Lou Gossett. Watching Beau and Lou, especially when they're on set, there's some very good lessons for a younger actor."

Although Crichton named his gun Winona, Browder has no plans to name any "Stargate" weaponry.

"Privately. I may have named my weapon," he says, "but that's a John Crichton thing. Crichton is the man who names every inanimate object he can get his hands on. That was his way of making the world less alien and more personal."

While replacing Anderson is a daunting task, Browder feels he's up to it. "Interestingly enough," he says, "I was given a hat the other day that said 'O'Neill' in it. It fit OK. I don't know what that says. As they handed me the hat, and it said 'O'Neill,' I thought, 'I don't know how I feel about this. Ah, it's good. I'll wear it.'"

"But you know what? No one is ever going to replace RDA, what he meant to the show and to the franchise. He came up and shot a couple scenes, so I got to see him in his natural environment."

"Stargate Atlantis" is also shuffling cast members, with Rainbow Sun Francks (Lt. Aiden Ford) becoming a recurring character, and Jason Momoa, as Ronon Dex, joining the team. Also appearing is Mitch Pileggi ("The X-Files") as Col. Steven Caldwell, commander of the Earth warship Daedalus.

"Battlestar Galactica," in its second full season (it launched as a miniseries), faces the challenge of following up its cliffhanger season finale. In the final moments, fighter pilot Sharon "Boomer" Valerii (Grace Park) -- secretly a synthetic human created by the mechanical Cylons -- shot Galactica's Commander Adama (Edward James Olmos) in the gut.

Also, Laura Roslin (Mary McDonnell), president of the civilian government overseeing the ragtag fleet of survivors of a Cylon holocaust, was slapped in the brig for challenging Adama's authority to fulfill an ancient prophecy. She sent fighter pilot Kara "Starbuck" Thrace (Katee Sackhoff) back to her devastated home world of Caprica to retrieve an artifact.

"Season one really ends at episode seven [of season two]," series creator Ronald D. Moore says. "Adama's been shot; we have people stranded on the planet Kobol; Kara's back on Caprica; Laura's in jail.

"Adama does not get back on his feet again for several episodes. It's touch and go with him for a while. (First Officer) Tigh's in command. He gets them out of a tight situation in the first episode, but Tigh's not really the guy you want in command of the fleet. He makes some bad choices, and things go from bad to worse.

"Divisions form in the fleet. Laura gets out of jail and leads an insurgency; the fleet is split into two groups. Kara, back on Caprica, encounters a resistance movement. There are a lot of things happening."

Did anyone watch the 4400 last nite?What were Jordan's exact last words?..I missed them...it had something to with either wacky baby or Maya.So blackout guy was the one that did Jordan in? What happened to the body? I take it Jordan will mysteriously "reappear" during the season finale(just guessing)?Any word on why Billy Campbell left/hiatus? he's one of the main reasons I watch :P

Jordan said something to the effect that "she lies" (meaning the wacko devil baby).I had heard that Billy Campbell is currently sailing around the world so I wonder if we'll see him again before next season. I have a feeling they are keeping it open for his return.I have to admit that this season isn't as good as lasts. I really, really don't like the storyline with the homeless kids - enough already!

Anakin Skywalker Struggling for self-assurance over hidden angst, you are highly adept and full of surprises.I find your lack of faith disturbing.

GandalfA wandering spirit caring for a multitude of just concerns, you are an instrumental power in many of the causes around you

James Doohan, 'Star Trek's' Scotty, died early Wednesday

Doohan died at 5:30 a.m. (1330 GMT) at his Redmond, Washington, home with his wife of 28 years, Wende, at his side, Los Angeles agent and longtime friend Steve Stevens said. The cause of death was pneumonia and Alzheimer's disease, he said.

Full story here

Anyone watch the 4400 finale last night?

I thought the season as a whole was rather uneven, but it was a good show last night.

SPOILERS AHOY

I knew Jordan wasn't dead! :lol:

And grown up Isabelle (all hot and naked).

And Jeffrey Combs (a long time fave of mine from all the Star Trek series) injecting himself with the compound that causes special powers.

I think it should be a good season 3.

Yea, it was pretty good.Woohoo Billy Campbell :PAny ideas on how freaky baby Isabelle grew up so fast? I should probably know this but some of the sci fi babble puzzles me. Help.

I haven't a clue why Isabelle grew up so fast. At first I thought it had something to do with the compound, but she was never interfered with by NTAC. So it's a mystery.Could it have been linked to Sean's "exorcism" of Kyle?

I tried...I really, really, tried...but I didn't make it through it. I thought it was lame..very disappointing.

It was lame? That makes me feel better. I didn't know it was 2 hours so I just taped the first one. I was wondering if it was worth my time to just watch the first hour, or try to catch up this Friday.

You know, you should check it out anyway. Our tastes might be different. I really tried to watch because I like sci-fi, Carla Gugino(esp. after Sin City), and the Peter Dinklage dude...gotta love little people...but the show was cheesy, IMHO. I talked to a friend in Development...and what's happening is because of how big LOST has gotten...you now have LOST/Sci-fi show knockoffs that are being developed and in high demand for TV. And of course they aren't that great once they get on the air.

Sci Fi Friday's season enders last night:BSG - great episode. Nice to see Ensign Ro again even though she is playing a sadistic bitch in this one. SG Atlantis - pretty good. I liked the first episode better than the second simply b/c I don't like Ford and never have. He's not coming across to me as scary or threatening -simply as a whiny crybaby.

Sci Fi Has 'Eureka' MomentLOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) The Sci Fi Channel is remaining Earthbound with its next original series, but the show sounds far from ordinary.The cable network has ordered 13 episodes (including a two-hour pilot) of "Eureka," a drama about a seemingly idyllic Pacific Northwest town that houses a top-secret government research facility. The show will follow the town's genius population and the strange things that can happen when the world's most fertile minds live down the street from one another."'Eureka' is a smart, fun series which furthers our desire to create accessible and entertaining original programming on Sci Fi," says Mark Stern, the channel's head of original programming. "This series is set in [the] present day, on Earth, and involves characters and storylines that are relatable and intriguing with an imaginative sci-fi twist." The show stars Colin Ferguson ("Coupling") as a U.S. marshal who, while transporting a teenage runaway, has a car accident in Eureka. He soon discovers the town's quirks when the girl disappears, and he becomes involved in the search for her with the local sheriff (Maury Chaykin, "A Nero Wolfe Mystery"). The series also stars Greg Germann ("Ally McBeal"), Joe Morton ("Terminator 2," "Stealth"), Salli Richardson-Whitfield ("Family Law," "Antwone Fisher") and Matt Frewer ("Max Headroom"). Andrew Cosby ("Haunted") and Jamie Paglia wrote the pilot and will executive produce.Production on "Eureka" is scheduled to begin in January for a summer 2006 premiere.

THE DRESDEN FILES (Sci Fi) - The cable channel has greenlightedproduction on the two-hour backdoor pilot movie, based on JimButcher's series of bestselling novels of the same name. Hans Beimler("The District") and Robert Wolfe ("The 4400") have come aboard towrite and executive produce the Lions Gate Television-based projectalong with Nicolas Cage and Norm Golightly of Saturn Films and MorganGendel ("Star Trek: Deep Space Nine") and Anthony Peckham ("5 Days toMidnight"). Here's how Sci Fi's press materials describe the project:"Erik Dresden is a detective with extraordinary powers, the kind thatcould belong only to the descendant of a long line of wizards. Whereothers see the typical crimes of assault, kidnapping and serialkillings, Erik sees otherworldly forces at work -- which only he knowshow to combat. Whether consulting for the police on inexplicablecrimes or following his own cases, Erik has a unique outlook on theworld, and wields a wry sense of humor as one of his most potentweapons." Production on "Dresden" is set to begin in Toronto this fallfor summer 2006 premiere.