princess

Celeb Acts of Charity

and if you're giving to a domestic organization, for non-international purposes, I'd like to make a pitch to give to your local community action agency - they do a wide range of work - the goal being to move the family/individual toward self-sufficiency, not just a band-aid. They don't generally do international stuff, though. Goes along with the rebuilding comment - crisis mgt is important, but it's also important to solve problems more long term.

I give to Compassion International. Junie, the little girl I sponsor lives in Haiti. As of yet they have not found her or her family. My heart is so broken right now. Getting involved in charities can really have a big impact on the donor as well as who they support.

Wyclef's Conflict of Interest (Policy)

Latest tax return shows musician still banking Haiti foundation funds

MARCH 11--The latest tax return for Wyclef Jean's foundation has been filed, and while it reveals that the musician is still paying himself from the group's funds, the charity reports that it has just instituted a written conflict of interest policy. So that must reassure prospective donors, right? As TSG has previously reported, Jean and a business partner personally received more than $400,000 from the Wyclef Jean Foundation between 2005 and 2007. The organization's 2008 tax return, which is excerpted below, shows that the group reported gross receipts of $1.8 million, more than 20 times what it disclosed in 2007. More than $1 million of that sum was wired to a Haiti-based group that reportedly provided food and relief services in the country, and also organized a free outdoor concert in Port-au-Prince starring Jean himself. Based on prior practices, it seems likely that Jean, a pay-for-play kind of humanitarian, would have pocketed an appearance fee for that gig. The 2008 tax return shows that the group, again, paid $31,200 in rent for space inside a Manhattan recording studio owned by Jean and his cousin Jerry Duplessis, who is also a foundation board member (that "space" was actually a cafe table in the studio's kitchen). It is unclear whether the rent deal was the extent of such insider dealings, since the tax return notes, "there were business transactions involving interested persons, but the payments did not exceed the reporting thresholds." The IRS filing also reveals the establishment of a conflict of interest policy that requires foundation officials to annually disclose "interests that could give rise to conflicts." The tax return also reports that an unnamed donor made an in-kind contribution of stock valued at $534,660 (the securities were quickly sold by the foundation). Additionally, Jean's organization reported having no employees, "only three consultants," the highest paid of which was Zakiya Khatou-Chevassus, who banked $105,000. In addition to working closely with Jean, Khatou-Chevassus does a little acting/modeling. (8 pages)

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years...101wyclef1.html

Nice, real nice. I'm sure that everyone who contributed to his Haiti fund are thrilled to know how much money actually went into his pocket rather than toward helping his "countrymen" after that earthquake. He's just earned himself a place in the Douchebag Hall of Fame.

so he started a foundation, holds a benefit concert, then pays himself for appearing??????? That's just insane. I work for a nonprofit that helps low-income people and we routinely do work with 1 to 3 percent admin, on a bare bones budget to begin with. It makes me crazy when I read about fat paychecks for stuff like this. His appearance fee is more than our office admin budget for a whole year!

Krakowski Raises Skin Cancer Awareness

Jane Krakowski has teamed up with Jergens Skincare to raise skin cancer awareness, according to People.

The 30 Rock actress is raising funds for the new In-The-Glow campaign for Natural Glow, through a video on the Jergens YouTube channel.

In an effort to help the campaign Krakowski recently shared her personal experiences of the dangers of sun damage.

"Well, back when I was a teenager, I wasn't as conscious or aware of what we weren't supposed to do," she said. "For even a little while we were into the baby oil and all of that I mean, you know – really bad stuff for your skin."

Every time Krakowski's Jergens video receives a play, the brand will donate $1 to the Skin Cancer Foundation.

"Hopefully, if people watch the video a lot, frequently we can raise lots of money for the Skin Cancer Foundation," she said.

Krakowski currently stars as the character Jenna Maroney in the fourth season of NBC's 30 Rock.

Source digitalspy.co.uk

Posted Image

KITTEN CABOODLE

What's new, pussycat? Reality starlet Holly Madison cuddles up to a kitty in Las Vegas on Tuesday, before a poker tournament benefiting the Nevada Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

go Kurt!

The Fox runaway muscial hit “Glee” is huge right now, and most of the attention is on its big breakout stars, Lea Michele and Matthew Morrison. But Chris Colfer, who plays fabulous out-and-proud student Kurt Hummel, has quite a cult following, too. Not only can this kid sing, dance and act, but according to The Enquirer, Chris has spent most of his life prior to his “Glee” success caring for his younger sister who has severe epilepsy. He once promised his sister that if he became rich and famous, he would raise money and awareness to help find a cure for the disease.

Teenage “Glee” star Chris Colfer spent much of his young life taking care of his severely epileptic younger sister before heading off to seek fame and fortune in Hollywood.

In an exclusive Enquirer interview, Chris’ proud mom said he’s a “hero” for the sacrifices he’s made for his sister. “Chris was always instrumental in Hannah’s life - he still is,” Karyn Colfer says.

Chris, 20, plays Beyonce-loving gay singer Kurt Hummel on the hit musical comedy. In real-life he was a three-time speech and debate champion at Clovis East High School in California’s San Joaquin Valley.

But he spent much of his time caring for his little sister.

“He was the center of her world, taking the time to do whatever she wanted to do,” says Karyn, 47. “Chris was absolutely selfless when it came to his sister - he gave up a great deal of his social life for her.”

Hannah, now 14, was crushed when Chris decided to strike out on his own, says Karyn. But a few days before he left, he bought web cams so the two could teleconference through Skype when they started missing each other.

“Chris is a great brother. He’s a hero to Hannah.”

Karyn told the Enquirer that Hannah can have as many as 50 seizures an hour, and has not responded to several different courses of medication. Hannah recently underwent operations to implant nerve stimulators, and the family is hoping the procedure will improve her condition.

Karyn adds: “You know, when Chris was growing up, people would ask him, ‘Are you going to become a doctor so you can find a cure for your sister?’” And he would say, ‘I’m going to grow up and become a famous actor so I can pay someone ELSE a ton of money to find a cure.’”

True to his word, Chris recently donated a large sum of money to the nonprofit group CURE (Citizens United for Research in Epilepsy).

[From the National Enquirer print version, July 5, 2010]

So, while Lea Michele is out there allegedly racking up diva bitch points, Chris, who is every bit as talented, is using his new found fame for good. I think that alone warrants another Kurt-centered episode of Glee soon, don’t you? What a great kid.

from justjared

Sandra Bullock Donates $1 Million Toward Tsunami Relief

Sandra Bullock looks upbeat as she heads out to run errands on Wednesday (March 16) in New York City.

The 46-year-old actress has donated $1 million to the Red Cross to support tsunami relief efforts in Japan!

“The American Red Cross is extremely grateful for this generous support from Sandra Bullock and her family,” the organization said in a statement. “This contribution is vitally important as the Red Cross works to provide critical assistance and essential relief items in this time of urgent need for so many people in Japan.”

Sandra also donated $1 million to Doctors Without Borders to benefit Haitian relief efforts after the 2010 earthquake.

Keanu wants to go on a Zoom date with you -- for a good cause

By Toyin Owoseje, CNN

Updated 9:29 AM ET, Wed June 17, 2020

CNN)Keanu Reeves is giving one lucky fan the chance to spend some quality one-on-one time with him for a very important cause.

The "John Wick" and "Matrix" star has partnered with Camp Rainbow Gold -- an Idaho-based children's cancer charity -- to offer a 15-minute Zoom call to the highest bidder.

The virtual date was valued at $10,000 but as of Wednesday, the bidding was already up to $16,600, thanks to one anonymous bid.

Full story:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/17/entertainment/keanu-reeves-zoom-auction-charity-intl-scli/index.html

• Thanks 1