Sign in to follow this  
sanlee

Gabourey Sidibe

Gabourey Sidibe On Her Attention From HollywoodAccess Hollywood

Gabourey Sidibe may be a Golden Globe nominee and hotly tipped for an Oscar nomination, but it appears award shows aren't the only fans of the 26-year old. Hollywood stars love her, too.

The star of "Precious," stepped out in New York City for a party recently where she was fawned over.

"We've all been to a place where we've felt ignored and unsupported, so it just affirms the meaning of the film's story to me," Gabourey told Harper's Bazaar about the celebrity attention. "Ashley Olsen hugged me for a long time -- like rubbing my back and everything -- and said, 'I am so proud of you.' How cute is that?"

While Gabourey has a boyfriend, who she won't name publicly, it hasn't stopped the rising star from crushing on a few celebrities.

"Man! Justin Timberlake is always good," she told the mag. "God, there are so many hot dudes in Hollywood right now. I'm such a fanny, fanny girl. Bradley Cooper. How hot is he?"

And while she's likely to rubbing shoulders with Justin, Bradley and others on the award show circuit, Gabourey also has a fairly busy schedule with photo shoots.

"I feel like a model," she said of all the pictorials that have come her way. "It justifies everyone in my life who told me I wouldn't be anything until I lost weight. It justifies that little girl who cried because she didn't think she could be in front of the camera. And it's for other girls who feel like they can't do this or that and feel like they're not pretty and not worthy of having their photo taken."

The star said she doesn't have any plans to change.

"I'm just happy to show up. So, I don't have any plans of changing because I really, really like myself," she said. "It took a lot of work to get here. It's reaffirming for people to meet me and ask me not to change."

AccessHollywood.com

MAG STUFF: GABBY SIDIBE IN HARPAR’S BAZAAR + HER QUOTE ON CONFIDENCE

Golden Globe-nominated actress Gabourey “Gabby” Sidibe recently posed for the February issue of Harpar’s Bazaar and spoke about her confidence and frustrations with the media.

On doing the Harper’s Bazaar shoot:

“I feel like a model. It justifies everyone in my life who told me I wouldn’t be anything until I lost weight. It justifies that little girl who cried because she didn’t think she could be in front of the camera. And it’s for other girls who feel like they can’t do this or that and feel like they’re not pretty and not worthy of having their photo taken.”

On her confidence:

“People always ask me, ‘You have so much confidence. Where did that come from?’ It came from me. One day I decided that I was beautiful, and so I carried out my life as if I was a beautiful girl. I wear colors that I really like, I wear makeup that makes me feel pretty, and it really helps. It doesn’t have anything to do with how the world perceives you. What matters is what you see.”

On her frustration with some media synopsis’ of Precious:

“‘Gabby Sidibe is an overweight black girl who is illiterate and pregnant by her father,’” she parrots. “Look, I am black. I’m also overweight, but that’s not the point of the story. The point is the abuse and her bravery. This stuff happens to skinny people, to white people, to so many different people that they’ve missed the point if they say it’s about a fat girl.”

Source:ConcreteLoop.com

Gabourey Sidibe is bemused by the media's obsession with her Precious Body

GABOUREY Sidibe, the untrained actor who is drawing serious Oscar buzz for her acclaimed performance in the ghetto drama Precious, is suspicious of the media's obsession with her body.

The 26-year-old New Yorker is aware that she doesn't fit the Hollywood mould.

"People are kind of in awe of me because I like myself and I talk about that. If I were size zero, if I were blonde with blue eyes, and a perfect nose and all of that, and said that I liked myself and that I was beautiful, then people would hate me," she says.

Sidibe's ability to get into her character - who has endured years of abuse from a violent mother and a father who has repeatedly raped her and fathered her two children - means people are often surprised she is nothing like the victim she plays.

"Which makes sense, I guess, because I wasn't a public figure before the film. But it doesn't take them long to work out that I'm not Precious."

Sidibe, who was studying to become a research psychologist when she auditioned for the role, has already shot her follow-up project Yelling to the Sky, in which she stars opposite Zoe Kravitz, daughter of Lenny and Lisa Bonet.

"I play the victimiser as opposed to the victim. And I finally get to make out with a boy," she says.

Precious is now on release.

Gabourey Sidibe slaps Chris Rock after awards show grope

Controversial comic Chris Rock incurred the wrath of Gabourey Sidibe's father at a recent awards luncheon - after the funnyman groped the actress as she collected a prize.

The "Precious" star, who is nominated for a Best Actress Oscar at Sunday's Academy Awards, was honored at the third annual Essence Black Women in Hollywood event in Los Angeles on Thursday.

But she got a shock as she stood up to make her way to the stage - when Rock grabbed her behind with both hands.

Despite shaking off the "Everybody Hates Chris" creator with a playful slap, Sidibe admits her father was furious over the incident.

She tells ETOnline, "As I go up to get my award in a room where my dad is, because he's one of my dates, Chris Rock grabbed my butt with both of his hands - and then I slapped him back. I didn't think too much of it at all, but my dad was super p**sed."

And she quips, "Some dudes gotta have it - it's my own fault for being too damn fine."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate...7#ixzz0hSrHHzKp

Howard Stern: Gabourey Sidibe Is 'Enormous,' Will Never Work Again

Posted: 03- 9-10 06:08 PM

Howard Stern unleashed a vicious attack on Gabourey Sidibe on his Sirius satellite show on Monday.

"There's the most enormous, fat black chick I've ever seen. She is enormous. Everyone's pretending she's a part of show business and she's never going to be in another movie," he said. "She should have gotten the Best Actress award because she's never going to have another shot. What movie is she gonna be in?"

He and co-host Robin Quivers went on to discuss the impossibility of Gabby finding any work in Hollywood after 'Precious.'

"And Oprah's lying and saying you're going to have a brilliant career," said Robin.

"Oprah's another liar, a filthy liar," said Stern. "She's telling an enormous woman the size of a planet that she's going to have a career."

It looks like Gabby will prove Stern wrong. She is lined up to appear on the new Showtime series 'The C Word' and her next big-screen appearance will be opposite Zoe Kravitz in the drama 'Yelling to the Sky.'

Howard Stern: Gabourey Sidibe Is 'Enormous,' Will Never Work Again

Posted: 03- 9-10 06:08 PM

Howard Stern unleashed a vicious attack on Gabourey Sidibe on his Sirius satellite show on Monday.

"There's the most enormous, fat black chick I've ever seen. She is enormous. Everyone's pretending she's a part of show business and she's never going to be in another movie," he said. "She should have gotten the Best Actress award because she's never going to have another shot. What movie is she gonna be in?"

He and co-host Robin Quivers went on to discuss the impossibility of Gabby finding any work in Hollywood after 'Precious.'

"And Oprah's lying and saying you're going to have a brilliant career," said Robin.

"Oprah's another liar, a filthy liar," said Stern. "She's telling an enormous woman the size of a planet that she's going to have a career."

It looks like Gabby will prove Stern wrong. She is lined up to appear on the new Showtime series 'The C Word' and her next big-screen appearance will be opposite Zoe Kravitz in the drama 'Yelling to the Sky.'

Oh shit! Howard Stern is a mess!

Oh wow. Is Howard Stern even relevant anymore? And Robin Givens - she's nothing more than a sycophant who has inspired no one. Give the kid a break - she's done more in her first job than both of those chuckleheads have done in their combined careers. <_<

Not agreeing with how he said it...but he's kinda right to a point...Jennifer Hudson is an example(and she actually won).

Gabourey will get parts, but not sure how long that will continue.

Not agreeing with how he said it...but he's kinda right to a point...Jennifer Hudson is an example(and she actually won).

Agree with you BobbyD. Stern's job is to get a rise out of people and he sure can be mean but I don't see Hollywood changing their mindset in this regard any time soon. Sadly, some great talents are being swept under the rug just due to weight issues, while we deal with the idiots, bimbos, famewhores, and no-minds showing up on tv and film.

Oh wow. Is Howard Stern even relevant anymore? And Robin Givens - she's nothing more than a sycophant who has inspired no one. Give the kid a break - she's done more in her first job than both of those chuckleheads have done in their combined careers. <_<

Quivers, not Givens. And if HS hasn't done much in his career even though he revolutionized talk radio, then I can't imagine just about anybody who has done anything with his or her career.

He is mostly correct: she is at a horribly unhealthy weight, and everyone is acting like it is acceptable. What he's trying to say, in his harsh way, is that if anybody really cared about her health or her career, they wouldn't be applauding her heaviness, but would be trying to help her lose weight. And how many parts are there really for a woman of her size? After the two or three they write around her are finished, there won't be much else out there for her.

I feel sad when I look at her.

I also think Stern had a valid point, however crassly he phrased it. I find it interesting that nearly everyone commenting on Oscar fashion talked about how great she looked, as if saying anything else would unleash a firestorm of disapproval. The young lady has a positive attitude and carries herself with pride, and that's great, but she is at a very unhealthy weight, and that is true regardless of whether she is an actress, an accountant or a pediatrician. I think that maintaining a healthy weight and conforming to distorted Hollywood concepts of an attractive body weight are two entirely different concepts. I do think that there is some room in the entertainment industry for women with curves, sass and personality -- albeit not enough. Speaking of which, I thought Queen Latifah looked absolutely gorgeous.

I think Ms. Sidibe ought to lose some weight for the sake of her health, first and foremost. Should I don my flame-proof suit for writing that?

I also think Stern had a valid point, however crassly he phrased it. I find it interesting that nearly everyone commenting on Oscar fashion talked about how great she looked, as if saying anything else would unleash a firestorm of disapproval. The young lady has a positive attitude and carries herself with pride, and that's great, but she is at a very unhealthy weight, and that is true regardless of whether she is an actress, an accountant or a pediatrician. I think that maintaining a healthy weight and conforming to distorted Hollywood concepts of an attractive body weight are two entirely different concepts. I do think that there is some room in the entertainment industry for women with curves, sass and personality -- albeit not enough. Speaking of which, I thought Queen Latifah looked absolutely gorgeous.

I think Ms. Sidibe ought to lose some weight for the sake of her health, first and foremost. Should I don my flame-proof suit for writing that?

I agree; and quite frankly, I've found the coverage over her rather patronizing, and if I was her I'd be insulted. I watched many of the fashion reviews and anytime she came up, they over-praised her the way you would a 3-year old's bad drawing in order to build their "self-esteem," when in all reality you know it's bad. I would love to see Hollywood put more real people in movies, but in this case I feel it's being done in such a way as to be insulting to Gabourey. The push behind her seems to be more about making her the token fat girl, as if Hollywood is saying "Look at us, we support big girls too," while in the meantime any role she'll be offered will be limited to a "fat girl" role and will never be mainstream.

I hate how the media and Hollywood push this in an effort to be PC, all the while not really changing their thinking regarding the "ideal" body type. It's all an effort to appear PC, not truly promote a normal body size.

One of the things I enjoy about this board is a lot of us having a consensus on things(disagreements are cool as well). I was ready for people to pretty much attack Howard and attack his "theory." So it's cool that we can all agree Howard is definitely a jackass...but his point is taken...as crude as it was given. But also, in the words of late, great, Jack Palance...the day ain't over yet. ;) At least he had the guts to make the unspoken point that people won't make, since we all are PC.

I totally didn't think of the unhealthy part...but you all hit it right on the head. It's one of the issues I have with M'onique. She can cheer herself as she does in interviews of being a role model for healthy/fat women around the world...but sooner or later those medical bills will pile up like a big ass hot fudge sundae.

I secretly kinda hoped Jennifer Hudson would've bucked the trend...she's not too obese, not bad looking. and talented. All the while knowing the truth about hollywood's horrible record on casting curvy women in movies. I thought she might've been a good fit for the upcoming "A Star Is Born" remake...but they seem to be leaning towards Beyonce(who can't act, but she might put asses in seats, more marketable, and is easy on the eyes). Funny, I still do not remain a fan of Beyonce..and people give me strange looks...I'm sorry, I think she's got the personality/charisma of plywood. :4biggrin:

But a good question...maybe Hudson's affected by that Oscar curse? (Adrian Brody, Halle Berry, Jamie Foxx?)

Being obese is a health risk factor. It is not a certainty of anything. She might be perfectly healthy now (in terms of blood pressure, cholesterol, heart rate, glucose tolerance etc) and she might continue to be healthy for the next 50 years. We don't know. Or she could die tomorrow from prescription drug overdose & flu symptoms - that seems to be going around in Hollywood these days. I think it's horrific that Stern said what he did, but then, I've thought he was an asshole for the past 20+ years and ignore him accordingly - I wouldn't expect any different of him.

Being obese is a health risk factor. It is not a certainty of anything. She might be perfectly healthy now (in terms of blood pressure, cholesterol, heart rate, glucose tolerance etc) and she might continue to be healthy for the next 50 years. We don't know. Or she could die tomorrow from prescription drug overdose & flu symptoms - that seems to be going around in Hollywood these days. I think it's horrific that Stern said what he did, but then, I've thought he was an asshole for the past 20+ years and ignore him accordingly - I wouldn't expect any different of him.

Ok...Well I thought the certainty was that people who have their sizes are indeed at risk for health problems...even if they go through life not contracting them. It's not healthy...I thought that was the bottom line, weather they live 50 years or not.

But also remember...these women are in the spotlight, public eye...in front of millions. How they are able to maintain themselves with their own health risk factor might not translate to average joes...or joanna's who with certainty may not continue to remain healthy the next 50 years or have access to the health care services that these rich women have. So look at that message they send and people dance around them saying they will have long careers.

On the flipside....maybe Stern's harshness might provoke the actress to whip herself into shape?

If the flip side is that women in the public eye do unhealthy things to become or stay Hollywood thin, I don't consider that a positive outcome.

Body image disorders are serious. I would FAR rather have an obese but happy (and healthy as far as we know now) role model than someone who is completely uncomfortable in her own skin, no matter if that's a size 0 or larger.....

If the flip side is that women in the public eye do unhealthy things to become or stay Hollywood thin, I don't consider that a positive outcome.

I don't think that's a positive outcome, either. I don't think I made my point very well, and I'm not sure that I can make it any better today. I don't think she (G.S.) should be pressured to starve herself to the ideal Hollywood size. At the same time, she is morbidly obese, not just curvy or plump or heavy. I thought Mo'nique looked good; as I wrote before, I thought Queen Latifah looked fantastic. Both of those women are very large by Hollywood standards, and Mo'nique at the very least is overweight by "normal" standards. But they both looked great.

I think that both extremes -- starving oneself and developing eating disorders, and being morbidly obese -- are very unhealthy. I am fully in support of helping girls and women develop positive body images (I'll admit I have a terrible body image, even though I am thin and very fit. I know my weight is good, but I see nothing but fat, and I feel like a cow.). However, I also am fully in support of encouraging everyone to develop and maintain healthy lifestyles and a healthy weight. The definition of what a healthy weight is might be open to debate, but in my opinion both the morbidly obese and the Hollywood "lollipop brigade" fall well outside of that definition.

However, I also am fully in support of encouraging everyone to develop and maintain healthy lifestyles and a healthy weight. The definition of what a healthy weight is might be open to debate, but in my opinion both the morbidly obese and the Hollywood "lollipop brigade" fall well outside of that definition.

I agree.

I guess where I differ is that I don't think it's my business to comment on the "health" aspects of Gabourey's weight. (and to avoid hypocrisy, I should not then comment on the health aspects of the anorexics in Hollywood either. That will be more difficult for me ;-)) Obesity is a national public health crisis. However - it does not mean that every obese person is also unhealthy. Smoking presents a greater risk for heart attack than simply being obese does. There are multiple behavioral and genetic components to "health risk" - so all I was trying to say is that "risk" does not automatically mean "unhealthy". It's an odds ratio thing. So I think in that, Bobby and I are agreeing.

And if she's good at her job, her weight shouldn't be the barrier to her continuing to do her job. Whether or not she'll survive Hollyweird remains to be seen.....

Ok...Well I thought the certainty was that people who have their sizes are indeed at risk for health problems...even if they go through life not contracting them. It's not healthy...I thought that was the bottom line, weather they live 50 years or not.

But also remember...these women are in the spotlight, public eye...in front of millions. How they are able to maintain themselves with their own health risk factor might not translate to average joes...or joanna's who with certainty may not continue to remain healthy the next 50 years or have access to the health care services that these rich women have. So look at that message they send and people dance around them saying they will have long careers.

On the flipside....maybe Stern's harshness might provoke the actress to whip herself into shape?

As usual, I'm agreeing with everything you're saying.

Stern is who he is, and if people hate him, fine, but he's going to continue giving his honest opinion, and that's why people like me listen to him, even when we occassionally disagree with him. His main point, which I totally agree with, is that all these people telling Gabourey that she looks fine and blowing smoke up her ass aren't helping her because she's morbidly obese, which will most likely lead her to develop health problems. And he said it in a shocking way, as usual, which caused a ton of controversy and brought the whole thing into public discussion. I think that's a good thing, especially if it causes people around Gabourey who actually care about her to offer her help with her weight problem. (Obviously not be starving herself - that's ridiculous. By eating healthy to reach a healthy size.)

'Precious' Star Gabourey Sidibe Lands New Gig ... on Showtime

By Wilson Morales on Mar 9th 2010 12:12PM

Now that the Academy Awards are over, Oscar nominee Gabourey Sidibe will be heading to the small screen as the Brooklyn, New York native is set to star opposite Laura Linney and Oliver Platt in the dark comedy series, 'The Big C' for the Showtime network.

Set in the Connecticut suburbs, the half-hour series stars Linney as Cathy, a repressed suburban wife and mother who reclaims her life after a terminal cancer diagnosis. Platt will play her immature, but well-meaning husband.

Sidibe, who was nominated for her role in Lee Daniels' 'Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire,' will play a smart-alecky student in Cathy's class.

'The Big C,' which will begin shooting 13 episodes in May for a late summer premiere, is created and written by Darlene Hunt, who will serve as executive producer, along with Linney, Neal H. Moritz and Vivian Cannon. It is produced by Original Film in association with Sony Pictures Television. Acclaimed writer/director/producer Bill Condon ('Dreamgirls') directed the pilot.

Sidibe's next film role is a supporting part in the independent film, 'Yelling to the Sky,' which is directed by Victoria Mahoney, and co-stars Zoe Kravitz, Jason Clarke, Antonique Smith, Yolonda Ross, and Shareeka Epps.

Weight Loss Company Targets Gabourey Sidibe

Posted Mar 15th 2010 8:00AM by TMZ Staff

A weight loss company claims "Precious" star Gabourey Sidibe shouldn't be worried about her appearance ... but rather her health.

AcaiSupply.com is reaching out to the Oscar nominated star, noting that obesity is a "major epidemic" in the U.S. and they want to help her fight what they call "this terrible affliction."

The company is offering her a one year supply of the product in return for an endorsement -- provided she loses weight.

The CEO wrote a letter to Sidibe, urging her, "The only way you can reach your goal of someday winning that Oscar is by being active, fit, and most of all, healthy!"

A rep for Sidibe could not be reached for comment.

Weight Loss Company Targets Gabourey Sidibe

Oh dear, no.

Although I have put in my two cents on her weight, I really do not think she is obligated to make her weight loss, should she choose to try to lose weight, a public matter. I'm not on board with pressuring her into becoming the face of the obesity epidemic, and shilling for a company that produces a supplement of questionable value is just wrong, in my opinion. What a crass move by the un-named CEO.

Gabourey Sidibe's mom lashes back at Howard Stern for his 'enormous' insult: 'Get a life!'

Gabourey Sidibe may have kept her mouth shut after radio shock jock Howard Stern viciously mocked her weight on-air, but the "Precious" star's mother isn't keeping quiet.

"Get a life!" Alice Tan Ridley ranted on "Inside Edition" about Stern, who called her daughter "the most enormous, fat black chick I've ever seen."

"He can see, you can see, I can see Gabby is a big girl," Ridley said. "She's a big woman, so what's wrong with that?"

Stern also questioned the 26-year-old's acting abilities and future in the entertainment industry, saying, "she's never going to be in another movie."

However, Ridley was quick to defend her famous daughter.

"She's not like everyone else in the world. I don't see him giving jobs out to anybody, so why should we care what he says?" she said. "He might not hire her, but someone else will."

Indeed, someone else did.

According to "Access Hollywood," Sidibe is set to have a recurring part in Showtime's new dark comedy series, "The Big C," which also stars Laura Linney and Oliver Platt.

The National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance also came to the defense of Sidibe one day after a weight loss company called AcaiSupply.com offered her a one-year supply of their product to "reach your goal of someday winning an Oscar ... by being active, fit, and most of all, healthy!"

"You cannot tell by looking at a person if they are healthy," NAAFA spokeswoman Peggy Howell told TMZ.com. "Fat does not equal disease and thin does not equal healthy. Achievements come in all sizes."

source: http://www.nydailynews.com