Sign in to follow this  
princess

Lost Discussion

Going to post my comments in the non-spoiler thread in case someone wants to talk about show but not be spoiled on future episodes (are you proud of me Cy?!?! :D).Soooo, great episode. Lots of fun stuff. So Michael let The Other Prisoner go, shot himself to make it look like he excaped - right?? I'm assuming the Others made him do it to get Walt back. You think Michael lied about the camp the Other's are staying at, or is it true??Wow, two people dead in one episode. Bye bye Anna Lucia & Libby. The scenes-to-the-next-episode sure do make it look like they take Michael's advice and attack the Others. :blink:

TV GUide.comDid Lost Jump the Dharma Shark? SPOILER ALERT regarding last night's Lost, although I'll do my best to keep stray eyes from stumbling across it. But wow, huh? Bang, bang, two tailies full of bullet holes. Considering who played them and the real-life arrests each was involved in, did Lost make a mistake in at least giving off the appearance that it was "punishing" those cast members? While series execs tell the Ausiello Report that wasn’t the case at all, "It's hard to separate that as a viewer," a publicist at a rival network tells TVGuide.com. "This just happened to coincide with [the actors' arrests]? Chalk it up to bad timing!" Marc Berman, television analyst for MediaWeek.com, agrees, telling us, "The shootings sent shockwaves, but what immediately and unfortunately comes to mind is the DUI arrests. Were the producers trying to do the right thing ethics-wise, or is the (presumed) double departure really that pivotal to the story line? Until we get answers and get them by season's end, killing off two characters at once would be an ultimate suicide mission." UPDATE: I love Lost but still, I must report this: Per the Nielsen overnights, "Two for the Road" (as it was titled) drew 15 million viewers, a hair fewer than this season's previous low for a new episode (Rose/Bernard's April 12 outing).

Ausiello Reportby Michael AusielloTV Guide.comWhy Did Lost Kill Ana Lucia? Lindelof/Cuse Tell All! Before we get to the shocking events of last night's Lost, I have a confession to make: I've known for weeks that Michelle Rodriguez was leaving the show and I said nothing about it in Ask Ausiello. No hints. No spoilers. Not even an asterisk quiz. And you're probably wondering why. Well, it's simple: I knew Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse wanted Ana Lucia's death to be a big surprise to viewers and I wasn't going to be the one to ruin that for them — or you. Plus, I knew if I kept my big trap shut, I'd stand a better chance of getting them to spill the beans about the shocking plot twist before it happened, and then be able to post it to my blog the moment the episode was over. All in all, I think it was a pretty fair trade-off. Oh, and you're probably wondering about the fate of Cynthia Watros' Libby since she too was gunned down by Michael last night. I'll have the full story on that next week. But first, let's get to the bottom of M.Ro's ouster.Ausiello: Was it always your intention to use Ana Lucia as a one-season character?Damon Lindelof: A lot of this is going to sound like spin, so all we can give you is our word that this is exactly what happened. Around late February of last year, we started throwing our respective lines in the water to find the leader of the tail section, who we knew was going to be a Latina woman and who would be conceived as a romantic foil for Jack. We wanted her to be in her mid-thirties and be a detective from the LAPD. So we started putting out feelers unofficially because we wanted her to show up in the penultimate episode of last year. That way, when we started our plan for Season 2, it wouldn't feel like we had pulled her out of our asses. So, right around that time...Carlton Cuse: I got a call from Michelle's agent saying, "Would you guys be interested in Michelle Rodriguez? But she's really only interested in being on the show for a year."Damon: So we basically said, "A year is not necessarily ideal for us, but let's bring in Michelle and have the meeting." And she came in and met with Carlton and I and then, in the last 15 minutes, J.J. [Abrams] happened to be across the way doing some Alias stuff and he came over and sat down with her and we just hung out with her and chatted. It turned out that she worked in Hawaii on Blue Crush and knew a lot of people down there. But she made it very clear in that meeting that she's sort of a nomadic spirit and she did not want to commit to doing any more than [one season]. She wanted to do one kickass arc, as she described it, and we basically started to wrap our brains around her energy and say, "Yeah, we'll bring you on the show and then we'll kill you off at the end of the year." And she was totally cool with it and we were totally cool with it, and we parted ways and talked amongst ourselves. Obviously, the network and the studio normally don't want to get into a situation where they're not making multiyear deals, but we assured them that this was in fact the plan, and that even if Michelle was a rocking sensation on the show, we were going to stick to the plan. So they signed off on it and made the deal accordingly. Ausiello: And then the DUI...Carlton: Then she got this DUI and Damon and I looked at each other and we were like, "Oh, great. Everybody is going to think we're killing her off because she got a DUI." But there really wasn't anything we could do about that. I mean, the story was set. We had made plans. With Lost, we think it out well ahead of when we actually shoot it. We thought about altering our plan, but [this] was in fact what was best for the show. The fact that she got a DUI would come and go and what would live on would be the show, and our plan was still the best plan for the character. Ironically, we actually thought about changing it the other way around once [the DUI] happened, but it really was the best story. We wanted to tell the best story.Damon: And obviously that decision was further mitigated by the fact that Libby is shot at the same time as Ana Lucia. Basically then we said, "Oh, s--t. Both Michelle and Cynthia were busted the same night for DUI and we've got this story point coming up where they essentially both get shot at the same time, so it's going to look like this is the Lost producers attempt to say, 'Don't drive drunk!'" But as Carlton says, all it created in us was [the thought that], "Maybe we shouldn't do the plan now, 'cause people are going to think this is a reaction to [the DUIs], as opposed to this [plan] existing prior to that event."Carlton: As you'll see, everything that happens for the rest of the season all sort of falls from this event. And we're not doing ourselves or the fans of the show or the show itself any service by altering those plans because of Michelle's extracurricular activities.Damon: Not to mention that we didn't even know if that option would be available to us. We were still functioning under the auspices of that meeting, which was Michelle saying, "I want to do a year and then move on." Ausiello: Did you meet with Michelle to make sure everyone was still on the same page?Damon: Michelle happened to be [in Los Angeles] and she came by to see us. We basically said to her, "So we’re going to stay on course." And at that point, Michelle was kinda like, "Hey, I'm living in Hawaii...." She might have been able to wrap her brain around [staying] a little bit longer on the show, but she did not say, "I want to stay on the show!" She was basically like, "Yeah. That's a good plan."Carlton: And once we told her what was happening, she was incredibly supportive. She thought it was sort of a kickass way to go, and she got very on board with the idea of how she was going to be exiting the show.Ausiello: Rumor has it she was a hard-ass on the set and everyone hated her. Care to set the record straight?Damon: We're not in Hawaii on the set so all we can speak to is our working relationship with Michelle and what we have heard from the other actors and directors on the show, and we never heard anything remotely resembling that she was a hard-ass. You know, she's Michelle. She's got a very playful spirit. But she's totally professional and got along well with all the other actors. We get calls over the course of our career about difficult actors. We did not get those calls about Michelle.

Good episode. Kiss, kiss, bang, bang - bye, bye Ana!! Yay! I've been waiting for her to take a dive. I've never liked Michael, and now I dislike him even more. Who is Jack's baby sister that he doesn't know about? Claire?PS - Yes I'm proud of you princess ;)

Ahhh my tape cut off again.I see from Princess' post that Michael shot himself and let creepy guy go(I did see the Ana/Libby demise)..anything else happen at the end?? Also anymore info on the scenes from next week??

I see from Princess' post that Michael shot himself and let creepy guy go

Actually you don't see creepie guy getting let out, I just assume that's what happened. I think that was pretty much it for that episode. Scenes to the next episode look like everyone getting ready to attack the Others with Micheal as the leader.

Kristin of E!P.S. Pssssssst .... ONE of those deaths was planned all along -- the other was not. We'll discuss in Monday's chat.

That's what I thought, but lots of people trying to second-guess that. I dunno, she did have the picnic basket in front of her, maybe she's just wounded?? :huh:

Michelle Rodriguez was on Good Morning America this morning and said Ana Lucia's death was planned all along.

"Lost" Book Clues In Fans

EOnline.com

by Gina Serpe

May 5, 2006, 10:20 AM PT

Posted Image

Bad Twin has only been available for three days, but the book has already nabbed endorsements from two high-profile names: Sawyer and Hurley.

Hyperion Books released the mystery novel Tuesday, marking one small step for Lost promotional tie-ins and one giant leap from fiction to reality.

The book, written by fictitious Oceanic Flight 815 passenger Gary Troup—for those without their decoder rings, his name is an anagram of "purgatory"—is being billed as the last manuscript from the author, who supposedly dropped the book off at his publisher just days before perishing on the made-for-TV flight.

ABC announced plans to market the character's book last November and have since managed to crowbar in several scenes which find castaways perusing the manuscript, which miraculously managed to survive the crash, the ocean, the fires and the routine pillages by the seemingly illiterate Others with all its pages in tact.

Just as miraculously, the completed book also managed to find its way to a Disney-owned publishing house.

"We got this manuscript from this guy and we couldn't reach him," Hyperion president Bob Miller told the Associated Press. "He apparently got on this plane in Australia and has been lost at sea."

The book's cover features a tantalizing selling point for would-be Troup fans, declaring the mystery "His Final Novel Before Disappearing on Oceanic Flight 815."

The plot, pieced together for fans who may actually read the book and not just scan lines for clues pertaining to the series, centers on the detective Paul Artisan who is hired to track down the "bad twin" Zander Widmore by his "good twin" Cliff. Along the way, Artisan enlists the help of a good buddy who just so happens to be well-versed in biblical parables and metaphors on the meaning of life.

As expected, Bad Twin is chalk full of cheeky references to the primetime juggernaut, including several mentions of the 17th century philosopher John Locke (that's the sound of legions of Lost fans perking up), a makeshift boat named "Escape Hatch," allusions to life being complicated and unable to be boiled down to something as simple as, say, "a string of numbers," and of course, most of the action takes place on a mysterious—and fictional—island.

"As with every island, there was something slippery and mysterious about Peconciquot," the book reads, per an excerpt from the Toronto Sun. "It was connected to the larger world, and then again it wasn't. It had a logic of its own, a highly local mythology that made perfect sense within its confines yet fitted uneasily with the mind-habits of the world beyond its boundaries."

That clears that up.

For those fans wishing to check out more of Troup's work, they may want to dig up his first novel, The Valenzetti Equation. That is, if it actually existed they might. The book is described as centering on a mathematical equation which predicts the apocalypse and while no more specifics have been released, it's likely Lost fans could hazard an accurate guess as to which numbers may be involved in the solution.

Still, should fans decide to crack open Bad Twin, they'd be in good, albeit fake, company.

On Lost's Feb. 8 episode, Hurley pulled the immaculately preserved manuscript from the plane's wreckage and just this week, unlikely bookworm Sawyer was happened upon extolling the literary merits of the whodunit.

Of course, thinly-veiled as the novel may be, one mystery still remains: Who actually wrote it. While Stephen King and Ridley Pearson, both self-confessed fans of the show, have drawn speculation as the author, harsh critics dismiss the theory, claiming the tome is too poorly written to come from the mystery masterminds. Most likely, the book was a committee effort.

But for those who just aren't into the whole reality thing, an interview with Troup has been made available on Amazon.com.

Lost's season finale airs May 24.

Anyone get the book or hear any scoop about it?? Kinda interesting that TV shows now do so many other cross promotion stuff. :)

So what was the deal with the fake commercial during this week's episode?? Did anyone call the number??

EOnline.comBEACH READ: ABC releasing Lost tie-in book Bad Twin, a novel purportedly penned by Oceanic Flight 815 passenger Gary Troup. The book, released Tuesday, had already reached number 21 on Amazon.com Friday, thanks to fans hoping to uncover clues to the island mystery. As if we didn't already spend all day perusing Lost theory boards...now this?

So what was the deal with the fake commercial during this week's episode?? Did anyone call the number??

What was the fake commercial? I fast forwarded through all of the commercials and now that episode is already deleted from my DVR.

I dunno, I think if you call the number on the commerical you get a clue?? Kinda like the phone number you were suppose to call in that other episode?? I dunno, I called the last one and was kinda lame. :unsure:

TV Guide.comLost's Hanso Group: Bad Twin Is Bad! Lost's fictional Hanso Foundation, which recently began running TV commercials, also is now taking out print ads. One spied in Tuesday's New York Post takes issue with the Hyperion Books release Bad Twin, authored by ill-fated Flight 815 passenger Gary Troup. "Our reputation has been attacked in the novel," reads the ad, which claims that Bad Twin is rife with "misinformation" about the Foundation and its partners. This is officially my second-favorite newspaper ad currently running, following the upside-down teasers for the upcoming Poseidon remake.

Kristin of E!

From bubu: What did Damon [Lost boss Damon Lindelof] give you?

One hell of a shock! Here's the truth: I did know Michelle Rodriguez and Cynthia Watros were being killed off sometime this season (hence, my tease on the Vine show about dos muertos), and I had an inkling one of them might go on Wednesday, but I had no idea (a) that both would be killed that night, ( B ) that Michael would do it, © that Michael would shoot himself or (d) that it would be one of the best shocks ever. So, after suffering a mild heart attack, I immediately emailed Damon Lindelof this dainty message: "Holy s--t. I think I just crapped my pants. That was unbelievable. Did not see that coming!!" The following day, Damon sent me a beautifully wrapped package with a nice big bow on top. Inside? A 24-pack of Quilted Northern Super Absorbent. Yes, toilet paper, my friends. The attached note read: "Dear Kristin, We are honored that our little show caused you to crap your pants. Please accept this small token of our appreciation. Big hugs, Damon." And oops, I did it again.

Again, this is just stuff we were suppose to notice during the episode, so don't consider these spoilers :)

Kristin of E!

Other things you've probably already picked up on, but hey, my tube-stunted brain is shlow:

*The psychic in Eko's flashback was the same as the psychic who told Claire to get on the plane. So he is now responsible for TWO Losties getting on that Island. Who is he? Could he be HIM?

*Dr. Candle had TWO ARMS in the Pearl's Orientation Video. That video was filmed in 1980. The Swan (o.g.) hatch's video was filmed in 1985. So ... The Hatch's video may indeed be TRUE, that there was an incident when they did not push the button. There for Sex-AAA's (Eko's) assessment that the work is "very important" is indeed correct.

*www.subLYMONal.com is GENIUS. Check it out. Click the first TV 4 times to get it to glow green, the second 8, the third 15, fourth 16, fifth 23, and the last one ... you guessed it, 42 times.

*Just heard that there is a "special thanks" to the Hanso Foundation at the end of Mission Impossible! Love it.

:o :o :o :o :o

TV Guide.com

Question: Is it just me, or does sex = death on Lost? I mean, first Shannon and now Ana Lucia. Are they trying to send us a message? — Ali

Ausiello: I don't know why everyone is so surprised about this. When I spoke to Carlton Cuse in December, he said point-blank, "If you have sex on the show, you're pretty much going to end up dead." Get with the program, people.

Don't have sex again Sawyer!!!! :D

*www.subLYMONal.com is GENIUS. Check it out. Click the first TV 4 times to get it to glow green, the second 8, the third 15, fourth 16, fifth 23, and the last one ... you guessed it, 42 times.

Okay I did this and got a code. What am I supposed to do with it?

Can you post the code you got here??

I have it written down at home and I'm at work now, but if I'm remembering right it's Heir Apparent (however you spell apparent).

TV Guide.comLost Repeats Voted Off the Island Are the castaways pulling a Prison Break? Scheduling-wise, it looks that way. In a Tuesday-morning conference call, ABC entertainment president Steve McPherson announced that Lost will launch its third season with seven consecuctive new episodes, temporarily cede its time slot to the Taye Diggs midseason thriller Day Break, and then return for an uninterrupted run in January or early February, Variety reports. On your mark, get set... discuss.