Sign in to follow this  
princess

Steve Carell

tvguide.com

LIKING A VIRGIN: Variety reports that Office boss-turned-beloved Virgin Steve Carell has inked a deal with Universal Pictures to write and star in an untitled comedy based on his own idea, in addition to producing and starring in Juvenile, a feature about "the most Caucasian man in America," who's sent to juvenile prison for a petty crime he committed as a kid. Carell currently is prepping to star in Evan Almighty, a Bruce Almighty spin-off.

Wow, he's busy guy!

"How's the new car, Mom and Dad? Maybe I'll be a jerk and buy you a new house!"

– Steve Carell, on how he responded to his parents' inquiry as to why he never plays "someone nice," to Jay Leno

Niecy Nash relinquishes her deputy badge for a typewriter. The Reno 911! star is set to play the secretary of Whoville's mayor (Steve Carell) in 20th Century Fox's animated adaptation of Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who. Jim Carrey plays the lead elephant.

---

A lot of links to Jim Carrey lately... Evan Almighty, now a Dr. Seuss movie...

Niecy Nash relinquishes her deputy badge for a typewriter. The Reno 911! star is set to play the secretary of Whoville's mayor (Steve Carell) in 20th Century Fox's animated adaptation of Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who. Jim Carrey plays the lead elephant.

---

A lot of links to Jim Carrey lately... Evan Almighty, now a Dr. Seuss movie...

Why? :angry: Horton is one of the greatest books written by Dr. Seuss...geez.

From Perez Hilton

Steve Carell's New Film: A Disaster Of Biblical Proportions?

Filed Under: Film Flickers

mtvmovie06a_m.jpg

Jim Carrey is out and Steve Carell is in. However, things are not boding well for The Office star's next big screen feature, Evan Almighty, a spin-off of Carrey's Bruce Almighty.

The Los Angeles Times just wrote an alarming expose today, revealing that the Universal film is way over budget and on track to be the most expensive comedy ever made.

According to the Times:

- Unexpected costs for visual effects and the logistical challenges of filming hundreds of live animals have turned what was supposed to be a $140-million movie into a $160-million one that could climb as high as $175 million by the time it's finished. With marketing expenditures, the film is expected to cost at least $250 million. Although movies going over budget is common, a 25% overrun is high, even by Hollywood standards.

- Studios are loath to spend too much on comedies because they usually have less success with audiences abroad than do action films. On an expensive movie, Hollywood relies on international box office to make its money back.

- At $175 million, Evan would hold the dubious honor of being the most expensive comedy ever. Evan will surpass such other visual effects comedies as Wild, Wild West at $170 million, followed by Men in Black II at $140 million.

- The cost overruns on Evan prompted the movie's profit participants, who take a certain percentage off the first dollar made by the studio at the box office, to adjust their deals. They will not start collecting their take until the studio recoups its production and marketing costs.

- Originally, Universal hoped to co-finance Evan Almighty with Sony Pictures Entertainment, which considered distributing the film abroad. However, after analyzing the numbers, Sony passed after determining that it would be difficult to make money given the budget and profit participation deals, according to a studio source.

- Evan comes amid a challenging year for Universal. Miami Vice, which cost at least $135 million, sank at the box office. Its latest releases, the murder mystery The Black Dahlia and the musical Idlewild, also flopped.

Somewhere, Jim Carrey is laughing wildly.

Oh yeah, and he's bangin' Jenny McCarthy while doing it!

Budget Overruns of Biblical Proportions

Universal tries to tame spending that may make 'Evan Almighty' the costliest comedy ever.

By Lorenza Munoz, Times Staff Writer

In Universal Pictures' upcoming "Evan Almighty," comedian Steve Carell plays a Noah-like congressman commanded by God to hoard hundreds of animals in an ark the size of a cruise ship.

In real life, the movie is taking on water. Studio executives are struggling to tame a soaring budget that will probably make the film the most expensive comedy ever.

Unexpected costs for visual effects and the logistical challenges of filming hundreds of live animals have turned what was supposed to be a $140-million movie into a $160-million one that could climb as high as $175 million by the time it's finished. With marketing expenditures, the film is expected to cost at least $250 million.

Although movies going over budget is common, a 25% overrun is high, even by Hollywood standards. Studios are loath to spend too much on comedies because they usually have less success with audiences abroad than do action films.

On an expensive movie, Hollywood relies on international box office to make its money back.

Studio executives acknowledged that they underestimated the cost of "Evan," a sequel to the 2003 hit "Bruce Almighty." But they are confident it will be profitable.

"This movie is a great bet," said Universal Chairman Marc Shmuger. "It's a spectacle fantasy and also a comedy. And a sequel to one of the most successful hits in the studio's history."

Former Universal studio chief Stacey Snider and her boss, Universal Studios President Ron Meyer, gave the movie the go- ahead in December. Snider left in April to join DreamWorks SKG.

Snider's successors, Shmuger and co-Chairman David Linde, say most of the added expenditures came from 11 extra shooting days in Virginia, where the production, which began filming in March, encountered bad weather as well as delays from trying to coordinate animals and children's shooting schedules.

People close to the production say the studio was pushing for a December release that cut the film's preparation time by more than half — from six months to a little more than two. With so little preparation time, they said, the filmmakers were unable to properly map out details of what would prove a complicated shoot.

In addition, if they had waited one month to begin production they would have avoided much of the bad weather.

This is the first time Linde or Shmuger have overseen a production of the scale of "Evan."

Before his promotion, Shmuger oversaw marketing and distribution for Universal while Linde handled lower-budget specialty films as co-president of Universal's Focus Features. "Bruce Almighty," which starred Jim Carrey, grossed more than $500 million world-wide. However, "Bruce" cost half the amount of the sequel.

At $175 million, "Evan" would hold the dubious honor of being the most expensive comedy ever. "Evan" will surpass such other visual effects comedies as "Wild, Wild West" at $170 million, followed by "Men in Black II" at $140 million, said Brandon Gray, president of Box Office Mojo, a box office tracking service. Although "Men in Black II" was a hit, "Wild, Wild West" was a costly misfire.

The studio is counting on the universal appeal and familiarity of the biblical story of Noah's Ark. And Carell is a rising star in Hollywood, coming off last year's hit "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" and the popular sitcom "The Office."

In "Evan," Carell, who had a relatively minor role in "Bruce Almighty," plays a self-obsessed congressman who learns the value of helping others when he is told by God (played by Morgan Freeman) to build an ark to prepare for a flood.

"It's based on two story sources: 'Bruce Almighty' and the Bible, both of which were incredibly successful," Linde said.

The story calls for a storm and flood of biblical proportions, which helps explain some cost overruns. Rendering a realistic look to chaotic events such as fires and floods takes many hours — usually days — to generate the computer images.

Meanwhile, filming hundreds of animals presented its own problems. Predatory creatures such as lions and tigers cannot be shot with monkeys and giraffes. Filmmakers must abide by numerous regulations regarding the treatment of animals, and even the best-trained animals do not always follow orders. Sometimes a color or a scent can throw off an animal, delaying filming.

"Unpredictable things happen," said Jeff Okun, vice chairman of the Visual Effects Society. "Animals have good days and bad days too. You have to hope for the best, but plan for the worst."

The movie also called for the building of massive set pieces, including at least three arks — the largest of which was 450 feet long and 65 feet high on the set in Virginia. Bad weather hampered set construction and cost the production millions, according to people on the production.

Tom Shadyac, the director of both "Evan" and "Bruce," does not have extensive experience with visual effects films and is known more for such straight-up comedies as "Liar, Liar" and "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective."

Shadyac declined to comment.

The cost overruns on "Evan" prompted the movie's profit participants, who take a certain percentage off the first dollar made by the studio at the box office, to adjust their deals. They will not start collecting their take until the studio recoups its production and marketing costs.

The ballooning numbers come as all studios are attempting to slash budgets and crack down on rich talent deals that cut into their profits. With DVD sales flattening, box office revenue decreasing and production and marketing costs rising, studios try to lower their risks by finding outside financing partners. Sometimes they scrap expensive movies altogether.

In May, 20th Century Fox pulled the plug on the Carrey comedy "Used Guys" because of its $115-million price tag. Paramount Pictures refused to move forward on another Carrey movie, "Ripley's Believe It or Not," because the budget was creeping above $150 million.

Originally, Universal hoped to co-finance "Evan Almighty" with Sony Pictures Entertainment, which considered distributing the film abroad. However, after analyzing the numbers, Sony passed after determining that it would be difficult to make money given the budget and profit participation deals, according to a studio source.

Relativity Media, a film financing company with a deal to co-finance 16 movies at Universal, agreed in May to pay for half of the "Evan" production budget, a Relativity spokeswoman said.

But even with a partner, "Evan" could end up costing the studio at least $163 million, including worldwide marketing costs of about $75 million.

"Evan" comes amid a challenging year for Universal. "Miami Vice," which cost at least $135 million, sank at the box office. Its latest releases, the murder mystery "The Black Dahlia" and the musical "Idlewild," also flopped.

Still, the studio is expected to be profitable this year, thanks in part to hits such as "The Break-Up" and "The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift," which have grossed $189 million and $147 million worldwide, respectively.

Universal is relying on "Evan" to be one of its biggest hits next summer, along with the third installment of the thriller franchise "The Bourne Ultimatum" and the comedy "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry."

Gary Barber, chief executive of Spyglass Entertainment, one of the producers on "Evan Almighty," said although the film had gone over budget, he too was confident of its appeal.

"Is it costing a little more than we wanted? Yes," he said. "Is it worth it? Definitely. This has the potential to be bigger than the original."

OFFICE PARTY

Proving there's no "i" in team, the "employees" of The Office – including Jenna Fischer, Brian Baumgartner and Steve Carell – gather for a Screen Actors Guild photo shoot in Los Angeles on Thursday. Nominated in the ensemble category at this year's SAG Awards, the hit comedy series is also up for an award at Monday's Golden Globes.

Posted Image

13th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards® Recipients

Ensemble in a Comedy Series

THE OFFICE - NBC Leslie David Baker - Stanley Hudson Brian Baumgartner - Kevin Malone Steve Carell - Michael Scott David Denman - Roy Anderson Jenna Fischer - Pam Beesly Kate Flannery - Meredith Palmer Melora Hardin - Jan Levinson Mindy Kaling - Kelly Kapoor Angela Kinsey - Angela Martin John Krasinski - Jim Halpert Paul Lieberstein - Toby Flenderson B.J. Novak - Ryan Howard Oscar Nunez - Oscar Martinez Phyllis Smith - Phyllis Lapin Rainn Wilson - Dwight Schrute

12th Annual SAG Awards™ Acceptance Speeches:

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series

THE OFFICE NBC Leslie David Baker Stanley Hudson

Brian Baumgartner Kevin Malone

Steve Carell Michael Scott

David Denman Roy Anderson

Jenna Fischer Pam Beesly

Kate Flannery Meredith Palmer

Melora Hardin Jan Levinson

Mindy Kaling Kelly Kapoor

Angela Kinsey Angela Martin

John Krasinski Jim Malpert

Paul Lieberstein Toby Flenderson

B.J. Novak Ryan Howard

Oscar Nunez Oscar Martinez

Phyllis Smith Phyllis Lapin

Rainn Wilson Dwight Schrute

STEVE CARELL: This is quite the honor having these people present this to us. [applause] I was craning my neck, “Oh my God! There she is! They’re there! Oh my God!” Let’s get serious for just one second. Webster’s defines the word “ensemble” as follows: “a complete costume of complementary clothing and accessories.” [laughter] And even though this is not the right definition, I think it applies to our cast. [laughter]

I’d like to – we’d like to thank Greg Daniels, our executive producer… [applause] for being the person who assembled the ensemble, and choosing people who get along, who work well together, who enjoy each other’s company, who are friends. Also Allison Jones who took part in that trip. [applause] It’s really a great honor and we will treasure this. Thank you. [applause]

Steve Carrell Refuses to Cross Picket Lines!

Hooray for Steve Carrell, who has single-handedly halted production on The Office by refusing to cross the picket lines of striking writers.

The last new episode of the hit show will air next week.

While I’m sad that The Office won’t be airing new episodes, I love Steve Carrell for standing up for writers.

http://evilbeetgossip.film.com/

I LOVE Steve Carell. I've had the good fortune to interview him at length, and let me just say that I've done enough of this to tell when someone is putting on his or her game face for PR reasons and when he or she is genuinely awesome...and SC is awesome. We had a great time, and I swear to God, I'll never delete my tape of it.

And he rocks even more for not crossing the picket lines. I was actually chatting with a cast member a few days ago who said, "Well, Steve isn't crossing, so that's that." It's great that he holds so much power and is using it well.

Edited by freelancergirl

Steve & George More Than Friends?

Forget about Jimmy Kimmel and Ben Affleck. There's a new supercouple in town: George Clooney and Steve Carell!

Best Actor Oscar nominee (and legendary practical joker) George joked to CBS News on Logo reporter Itay Hod that he and 40-Year-Old Virgin star Steve, 45, got inebriated one evening and took their friendship to a new level.

For a story airing today on the Logo cable network, Hod asked Steve on Sunday at the Oscars, “Who are you most excited to see tonight?” The funnyman replied, “I saw George Clooney a couple of moments ago” — to which Hod replied, “Did you say anything?”

Steve's response? “No, my heart palpitated!”

Later that evening, Hod stopped George, 46, and said, “Steve Carell says that he saw you and you are actually as handsome as they say — and his heart palpitated a bit. What do you say about that?”

To which George quipped, “He can say that because I was with him one drunken evening — and he puts out!”

Carell's Clothing Embarrassment

Steve Carell was left red-faced during a TV appearance on Tuesday, because he was wearing the same clothes as he was in footage that aired on the show.

The funnyman was midway through an interview on NBC's "Today" when a clip of him in a studio voicing his character in the new animated movie "Horton Hears a Who" was screened.

Carell was shocked to realize he had on the exact same suede jacket and pair of jeans.

Watching the footage, Carell said, "Do you know what I'm noticing? I'm wearing the same jacket.

"I need to get some new clothes. That is so embarrassing."

Horton Hears an Abortion Protest

Posted Mar 8th 2008 8:22PM by TMZ Staff

All hell broke loose at the Hollywood premiere of "Horton Hears a Who!" today when a group of pro-lifers infiltrated the screening, then chanted anti-abortion slogans after the flick.

The theme of the movie is based on the motto: "After all, a person is a person, no matter how small." So the pro-lifers thought it was a good idea to use this theme to their advantage -- even though their complicated message was falling mostly on the ears of children.

The stars in attendance included Victoria Beckham and her three kids, Jim Carrey and Jenny McCarthy, Steve Carell and all 12 contestants from "American Idol."

After the chanting ended, the group put red tape over their mouths that said "Life" on them, and paraded around the event.

Shouts of protest were returned by some in attendance, including, "This is a kid's premiere," "How dare you," and "Do you really care that much about this?"

A little career advice to Steve Carell: Stay classy

A few suggestions on navigating the very serious business of funny

By Alonso Duralde

Film critic

The recent news that Jim Carrey will be foregoing his usual fat, upfront salary in exchange for a chunk of the profits from his upcoming movie “Yes Men” — after said salary derailed two other movies from ever being made — acts as a potent reminder that getting to the top of the comedy heap and staying there are two different things entirely.

And with Steve Carell hitting screens nationwide this week in the new comedy “Get Smart,” based on the classic ’60s TV spy spoof, it’s a good time for the “Office” star to perhaps evaluate everything he’s done right to get this far while also learning from the mistakes of his peers.

Carell’s ascendancy has been a rather dizzying one. After becoming one of the most popular correspondents on “The Daily Show,” Carell got to display his winning blend of I’m-an-idiot wordplay and gracefully graceless physical comedy on the big screen in the 2003 Carrey hit “Bruce Almighty.” (And even though no one was watching “Watching Ellie,” I loved his performance as Julia Louis-Dreyfuss’ unctuous ex in the short-lived sitcom.)

Since “Bruce,” he’s cemented his comedy cred with films such as “The 40-Year-Old Virgin” (which he co-wrote) and “Anchorman,” while also getting raves for more serious turns in “Dan in Real Life” and the Oscar-nominated “Little Miss Sunshine.” Even his voice work in the animated features “Over the Hedge” and “Horton Hears a Who!” stood out as the best things in both movies.

And then of course there’s “The Office.” Carell’s portrayal of self-involved doofus boss man Michael Scott not only garnered the actor a Golden Globe, but also won over fans of Ricky Gervais’ original British series who were convinced that there was no way a U.S. version could be as good or as squirmy. Michael Scott is just as awful a boss as Gervais’ David Brent, but Carell (and the show’s writers) made the regional manager of Dunder-Mifflin into a uniquely hilarious and irritating piece of work.

Thankfully, Carell’s movie success isn’t calling him away from his bread-and-butter small-screen work, so he’s already ahead of the game in terms of disastrous career decisions. But what are some other valuable tips for the 45-year-old rising star?

Beware the company you keep

One would think that after having played a small role in 2005’s “Bewitched,” Carell would think twice about doing a movie based on a 1960s sitcom. Taking the lead role in that misbegotten flop didn’t do Will Ferrell any favors, and it doesn’t look like “Get Smart” will be a big plus for Carell, either.

For every high-concept summer comedy that works, there are dozens that don’t, and the fact that “Get Smart” comes from the writers of “Failure to Launch” and the director of “50 First Dates” might have given Carell a big red flag to stay away from this one, no matter how sweet the paycheck.

Take a few personal days

One of the best things about Carell staying on “The Office” is the fact that it limits the time in his schedule he can devote to making new movies. That would presumably make him pickier about the films he does make, and it also means that he’s not bombarding the multiplex with movie after movie after movie.

Since his breakthrough in “The 40-Year-Old Virgin” in 2005, Carell has appeared in four live-action features. Compare that to Ferrell’s six starring roles (and a handful of cameos) in the same time period, or the even more ubiquitous Ben Stiller’s nine leads between 2001 and 2004. Carell seems to be one of the few big-screen funnymen who believe in leaving the audience wanting more.

Please, not the sad-clown routine

It was once said that every comic wanted to play Hamlet. It’s probably truer now that every screen comedian wants to be Tom Hanks, who graduated from cross-dressing shenanigans on TV’s “Bosom Buddies” to back-to-back tear-jerking Oscars for “Philadelphia” and “Forrest Gump” to Hollywood elder statesmen status.

And while masters of comedy can certainly shine in a dramatic context — Carell in “Little Miss Sunshine” or Ferrell in “Stranger Than Fiction,” to name just two examples — it’s a slippery slope to Roberto Benigni-ville. Carrey gets a pass for “The Majestic” thanks to “The Truman Show” and “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,” and the strength of Carell’s performance in “Dan in Real Life” outshines that film’s myriad script and direction problems. But tread carefully these waters, Steve Carell, lest ye become Robin Williams.

Don’t be a one-shtick pony

Once a comic star makes it big, he often gets cast in the same role over and over again. In comedies, Will Ferrell does the manchild, Ben Stiller is the angry guy, Robin Williams plays the manic lunatic and Jim Carrey plays … the other manic lunatic. If Carell isn’t careful, he’s going to be asked to repeat his character from “The Office” over and over and over again. (His Maxwell Smart reads disconcertingly like Michael Scott with a license to kill.)

And it doesn’t have to be this way. Carell’s performances in “The 40-Year-Old Virgin” and “Little Miss Sunshine” have proven that he has other arrows in his comedy quiver, and it will behoove him to continue to stretch and show new facets of his personality in film work, no matter how lucrative it might be to play variations on a theme.

If the audience can’t predict every beat of the plot and every tonal moment simply because you’re in the movie, then you’re on the right track. And if you say no to “Dan In Real Life 2,” so much the better.

Stars hit box office sweet spot

Will Smith among actors who have stayed hot

By ANNE THOMPSON

Call it the Fluke Zone. It's a place where a movie star can do no wrong. Audiences love you no matter what you do. The trick is to stay in the Zone as long as possible.

It's hard to get there. Few actors ever make it. Robert Downey Jr. and Shia LaBeouf are getting close this summer. But will auds put them over the top?

The rewards are huge at the top of the Hollywood food chain. You can cherry-pick the best and most commercial projects, and in theory, enjoy years of jet-set glory along with hefty cuts of the first-dollar gross.

But it's not easy. Beyond possessing the usual movie-star assets, staying at the top takes smarts, tenacity and an ability to tune in to what audiences want. Assuming you care.

Many stars fall out of the Fluke Zone when they lose touch with their fans. They tire of the limitations of carrying formula studio pics. Audiences see a star in the Zone as someone who delivers every time.

That was once true for Tom Cruise, Julia Roberts, Tom Hanks and Mel Gibson. But not anymore. They're maturing, taking more chances, seeking just the right balance of commercial and quality, straying from what audiences want. That doesn't mean they can't score the occasional B.O. smash. It just means they no longer guarantee them. "If you expand past the audience comfort zone," says producer James Jacks, "you're not a brand name anymore."

Nicolas Cage and Bruce Willis seesaw between studio tentpoles like "National Treasure" and "Live Free or Die Hard" and more adventurous fare. Johnny Depp, for example, is never going to color inside studio lines. He followed up his three-"Pirate" $2.76 billion B.O. bonanza with the serial-killer Stephen Sondheim musical, "Sweeney Todd." Not surprisingly, it did not break box office records. But he nabbed an Oscar nom.

Looking at this summer's movies, there's only one star in the Zone: Will Smith.

The hardest-working man in showbiz is doing what it takes: picking blockbusters crammed with f/x and action such as the "Independence Day" and "Men in Black" series, "I Robot" and "I Am Legend," along with the occasional acting showcase, from the career-turning "Six Degrees of Separation" and "Ali" to his Oscar-nommed turn in "The Pursuit of Happyness." And Smith, borrowing a page from Cruise and Schwarzenegger, works long hours burnishing his press on global promo tours. All that elbow grease has paid off.

This summer, in Peter Berg's "Hancock," Smith plays a homeless superhero. Will his B.O. run continue? Nothing lasts forever.

Age is an enemy of the Zone, especially for muscle action stars. Schwarzenegger and Stallone could only last so long.

With a far wider range, Harrison Ford, 65, defined the smart action hero. He has resolutely stayed the superstar course in the three decades since he broke out in George Lucas' "American Graffiti" and "Star Wars." However, his insistence on $20 million-plus paydays in recent years has hurt him. He says he works too hard not to get paid.

He pushed hard for "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"; finally Lucas and Steven Spielberg came through, helping the star pull out of an eight-year slump that included "Six, Days, Seven Nights," "Hollywood Homicide," "K-19: The Widowmaker," and "Firewall."

It's tougher for women. While men grow into their masculine authority, reaching their prime in their 40s, women have a shorter shelf life in the Zone. Hollywood doesn't allow them much room for error.

But Angelina Jolie is breaking the mold. While she is not in the Zone -- "A Mighty Heart" proves that -- she could be. Jolie is Hollywood's first bona fide femme action star ("Alien" star Sigourney Weaver paved the way). Jolie mixes it up with the best of them. She can be tough, sexy, lethal, funny and heartbreaking, from her career-making Oscar turn in "Girl, Interrupted" to "Mr. & Mrs. Smith," in which she met her match and partner, Brad Pitt.

While Jolie's output is uneven, she can open genre flicks, forging a path for ambitious actresses to follow. Universal paid her $15 million to return to action in the fantastical R-rated thriller "Wanted," anchoring the pic with Morgan Freeman opposite the lesser known James McAvoy ("Atonement"). "She established the movie's quality and legitimacy," Universal Pictures co-chairman Marc Shmuger says.

A powerful character actress, Meryl Streep has never been a Zone star. But like Jodie Foster, she delivers something valuable: a stamp of quality (which means nothing with a movie no one wants to see, like "Lions for Lambs" or "Rendition"). Now 58, Streep proved her B.O. muscularity in "The Devil Wears Prada," which scored $125 million at the domestic box office. This summer brings the Abba movie musical "Mamma Mia!" which may not be as pre-sold as the movie version of HBO's long-running "Sex in the City," but still has a sizable global following of women of all ages from the traveling hit show.

Comedy stars also have a shorter shelf life in the Zone. Somehow they catch the zeitgeist for several years, only to be replaced by a newer, fresher comedy ethos. Chevy Chase, Dan Aykroyd, Robin Williams and Jim Carrey lost their link with the audience by taking big paychecks for bad movies or simply trying too hard.

Audiences turned instead to the likes of Steve Carell, who followed Carrey in the disappointing "Bruce Almighty" sequel "Evan Almighty" and stars in this summer's TV remake "Get Smart"; multihyphenate Ben Stiller, who directed and stars in this summer's "Apocalypse Now" spoof "Tropic Thunder"; and Will Ferrell, who also produces and co-stars with John C. Reilly in the Apatow factory release "Step Brothers." These stars like to take chances on risky material, and seem willing to slip on a banana peel now and then.

On the other hand, "Austin Powers" star Mike Myers seems under more pressure to stay a major money player. He is also battling a rep for difficult behavior. While Myers has been delivering in the animated "Shrek" universe, the comedy chameleon flopped in his last live-action pick, 2003's overwrought "The Cat in the Hat." Dumb-male comedy "Love Guru" will reveal the strength of his audience connection.

The exception to the comedy rule is master-of-disguise Eddie Murphy, who has stayed relevant through successive generations. Murphy doesn't play himself, as Adam Sandler does, repeatedly. Thanks to animated movies ("Shrek") and prosthetics, Murphy morphs constantly; his range is astonishing. In "Meet Dave," opening July 11, he plays a spaceship in human form.

"Any time we become too familiar with anything, it ceases to be interesting to us," says producer John Davis, who has made four movies with Murphy and is wooing him to play multiple characters in "Fantasy Island." "The smartest thing you can do is a family movie. Let the audience discover you. Murphy comes back every few years and builds a brand new audience. You can reinvent yourself. Other actors age up."

"Get Smart" spies victory at box office

The new spy spoof "Get Smart" took an early lead at the weekend box office in North America, while Mike Myers bombed with his latest comedy "The Love Guru," according to first-day sales data issued on Saturday.

"Get Smart," a remake of the '60s television series of the same name, earned an estimated $13.35 million on Friday, said distributor Warner Bros. Pictures.

The Time Warner-owned studio said the film would end up with about $37 million -- slightly ahead of forecasts -- once ticket sales for Saturday and Sunday are factored in. Estimates for the three-day period will be issued on Sunday, followed by final data on Monday.

"The Love Guru," meanwhile, opened at No. 4 with just $5.4 million, according to tracking firm Box Office Mojo, and will fall far short of the $20 million range that Hollywood pundits had picked for the weekend. Paramount Pictures, the film's Viacom Inc-owned distributor, declined to comment.

The studios' decision to stake out the same weekend for their competing comedies surprised many observers, who predicted they would end up cannibalizing each other. Critics were largely appalled by both films.

"Get Smart" stars Steve Carell as Maxwell Smart, the bumbling secret agent originated by Don Adams. Anne Hathaway fills in for Barbara Feldon as his smart sidekick, Agent 99.

Warner Bros. partnered on the $80 million project with Australia's Village Roadshow Ltd. It looks to have a happier journey than the companies' recent disaster "Speed Racer."

"The Love Guru," which marks Myers' first on-screen appearance since the 2003 bomb "The Cat in the Hat," reportedly cost about $60 million to make. The Canadian actor plays a Deepak Chopra-style New Age guru.

Last weekend's champion, the Marvel Entertainment Inc-produced superhero saga "The Incredible Hulk," slipped to No. 2 with about $6.4 million, taking its 8-day total to $81 million, said Box Office Mojo. "Hulk" was distributed by General Electric Co's Universal Pictures,

The DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc cartoon "Kung Fu Panda" was down one to No. 3 with about $6.3 million in its third round. It has earned $140 million to date, said Box Office Mojo. "Kung Fu Panda" is distributed by Paramount.

Copyright © 2008 Reuters Limited

"Get Smart" spies victory at box office

The new spy spoof "Get Smart" took an early lead at the weekend box office in North America, while Mike Myers bombed with his latest comedy "The Love Guru," according to first-day sales data issued on Saturday.

"Get Smart," a remake of the '60s television series of the same name, earned an estimated $13.35 million on Friday, said distributor Warner Bros. Pictures.

The Time Warner-owned studio said the film would end up with about $37 million -- slightly ahead of forecasts -- once ticket sales for Saturday and Sunday are factored in. Estimates for the three-day period will be issued on Sunday, followed by final data on Monday.

"The Love Guru," meanwhile, opened at No. 4 with just $5.4 million, according to tracking firm Box Office Mojo, and will fall far short of the $20 million range that Hollywood pundits had picked for the weekend. Paramount Pictures, the film's Viacom Inc-owned distributor, declined to comment.

The studios' decision to stake out the same weekend for their competing comedies surprised many observers, who predicted they would end up cannibalizing each other. Critics were largely appalled by both films.

"Get Smart" stars Steve Carell as Maxwell Smart, the bumbling secret agent originated by Don Adams. Anne Hathaway fills in for Barbara Feldon as his smart sidekick, Agent 99.

Warner Bros. partnered on the $80 million project with Australia's Village Roadshow Ltd. It looks to have a happier journey than the companies' recent disaster "Speed Racer."

"The Love Guru," which marks Myers' first on-screen appearance since the 2003 bomb "The Cat in the Hat," reportedly cost about $60 million to make. The Canadian actor plays a Deepak Chopra-style New Age guru.

Last weekend's champion, the Marvel Entertainment Inc-produced superhero saga "The Incredible Hulk," slipped to No. 2 with about $6.4 million, taking its 8-day total to $81 million, said Box Office Mojo. "Hulk" was distributed by General Electric Co's Universal Pictures,

The DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc cartoon "Kung Fu Panda" was down one to No. 3 with about $6.3 million in its third round. It has earned $140 million to date, said Box Office Mojo. "Kung Fu Panda" is distributed by Paramount.

Copyright © 2008 Reuters Limited

Gee. Mike's diva-trip won't be lasting for long after this. :D

Steve Carell to play 'Brigadier Gerard'

MRC comedy set during Napoleonic Wars

By MICHAEL FLEMING

Steve Carell is attached to play the title character in “The Adventures of Brigadier Gerard,” a comedy set during the Napoleonic Wars that Media Rights Capital is mobilizing for a spring 2009 production start.

Script was written by John Altschuler and Dave Krinsky (“Blades of Glory”).

Pic is among several films that Carell is considering; he plans to star in one or two films during his hiatus after shooting the fifth season of NBC sitcom “The Office.”

Carell will play the title character, the bravest soldier in Napoleon’s army and also the dumbest. Gerard follows Napoleon from his rise to power to his permanent exile. The comedy is based on stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Pic will be produced by Altschuler and exec produced by Mike Judge and Krinsky, both of whom are partners with Altschuler in Ternion, a production company that has a deal with MRC. Ternion just wrapped the MRC-financed, Judge-directed comedy “Extract,” which will be distributed by Miramax. Altschuler and Krinsky created and are exec producers on ABC’s “The Goode Family.”

Michael Rotenberg and Tom Lassally also will exec produce “Brigadier Gerard.”

Other Carell hiatus pic candidates include a “Get Smart” sequel that is being scripted for Warner Bros. by original writers Tom Astle and Matt Ember, and a pairing with Tina Fey in “Date Night,” a film that Shawn Levy will direct at Fox. Carell also just formed Carousel Prods., a shingle that will develop comedies at WB.

He’s repped by Endeavor and Media Four.

Steve Carell Shocked To Be Working

Steve Carell has revealed that is always surprised to find that he is working. The actor shot to fame in 40 Year Old Virgin and has since gone on to star in Little Miss Sunshine and the American version of The Office.

He teams up with funny woman Tina Fey for his next movie Date Night, which is directed by Shawn Levy.

Speaking to MSN the actor said: "It doesn't sound sincere but it is: I'm always surprised that I'm working, that I have a job doing what we're doing.

"Tina felt the same way the first few days of shooting. So, no, I tend not to plan ahead.

"Five years ago, I could have never imagined any of this happening. I try to just enjoy it.

"If I could continue to do this sort of thing - I don't have any pretence of doing serious drama or directing. If any of that happens, fine.

Maybe I'll do nothing, because I'm very good at that. I can get lazy. I don't think I'm a very driven person.

When I have work, I work very hard. But when I don't work, I really don't do anything. I could easily just fade away."

Date night follows a married couple who, after a case of mistaken identity, find their attempt at a glamorous and romantic evening turn into something more thrilling and dangerous.

Date Night is released 21st April.

Source femalefirst

Steve Carell 'surprised' to be a star

Steve Carell never plans his next career move because he still can't believe he is a successful actor.

The 47-year-old made his name with parts in "Bruce Almighty" and "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy," before landing the top role as annoying boss Michael Scott in the U.S. version of hit Brit show "The Office."

And Carell, who stars in new comedy "Date Night" with Tina Fey, is still stunned he is leading movies.

He tells the Associated Press, "It doesn't sound sincere but it is: I'm always surprised that I'm working, that I have a job doing what we're doing. Tina felt the same way the first few days of shooting. So, no, I tend not to plan ahead.

"Five years ago, I could have never imagined any of this happening. I try to just enjoy it."

source: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate...7#ixzz0jqbwhq9K

Steve Carell: 'I'm A Romantic'

Steve Carell has claimed to have a romantic side, according to People.

The actor and wife Nancy Wells have been married since 1995 and have two children together.

On Tuesday night, Carrell talked about his romantic side at the New York premiere of Date Night.

"I tell her that I love her, and I will make her breakfast at times or at least coffee," he said of his wife. "I will also take out the garbage and empty the dishwasher. She definitely likes that, but let's put it this way, if I didn't do those [chores] – she would not like that!"

The 47-year-old added that his favorite nights with his wife are spent at home watching reality shows once their children have gone to sleep.

"For me the best date night is when we stay in, order a pizza and watch guilty pleasure shows," he said. "I followed my wife into these reality shows and cooking shows. It's fun."

Source digitalspy.co.uk