Sign in to follow this  
princess

U2

EOnline.comPAYING TRIBUTE: U2 to be inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame by Bruce Springsteen next month.

people.comINDUCTED: When induction time into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame rolls around next month, the Boss will be taking charge of U2's salutary speech. Bruce Springsteen will offer some gracious words for the Irish band, AP reports, which is something of a payback for the group's lead singer, Bono, who presented his own memorable speech for Springsteen's inauguration into the hall in 1999. The 20th annual induction ceremony will be held March 14 at the Waldorf Astoria hotel in New York.

TVGuide.comCalling them "the keepers of some of the most beautiful sonic architecture in the rock-and-roll world," Bruce Springsteen inducted U2 into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Monday night in New York City.

Posted Image

U2

CREDIT: LAURA FARR/ADMEDIA

people.com

No sooner had the Irish group ? guitarist The Edge, bassist Adam Clayton, drummer Larry Mullen Jr. and frontman Bono ? received their honor than they were facing reporters backstage. "Bono! ... What about the Nobel Peace Prize?" one reporter called out, obviously in reference to Bono's mission to eradicate third-world debt and curb the spread of AIDS in Africa.

"Rock star is already having the cream of the cake," Bono replied, according to the Associated Press.

Even with U2 not inducted until after midnight, there was hardly an empty chair in the Waldorf-Astoria ballroom ? though the crowd, which included Catherine Zeta-Jones, Richard Gere and Mariah Carey, was having a hard time remaining seated.

This was especially the case when U2 performed some of their biggest hits, including "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" with an assist from Springsteen.

Posted Image

Bruce Springsteen joins Bono onstage to perform U2's classic "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" before inducting the Irish band into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in New York on Monday. But the Boss made sure the honor didn't go to Bono's head, telling the audience jokingly: "In the early '80s, a young Bono was single-handedly pioneering the Irish mullet."

Posted Image

Bono lets loose with both new and classic songs in San Diego, where his band U2 kicked off their soldout Vertigo tour on Monday. The band will be on the road well into the fall to promote its album How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

NEXT PHOT

I'm going to tonight's show!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

people.com Just before hitting the road with U2 for the band's Vertigo tour, Bono took time out to unveil another project: a new organic eco-friendly clothing line called EDUN (yes, it's NUDE spelled backwards). The rocker launched the collection, which uses only natural fibers and dyes and is made in Africa and Peru, at the Saks Fifth Avenue in Beverly Hills.The driving force behind the clothes is the singer's wife, Ali. "We developed this idea of the Four Respects," he said at the event. "Respect for where the clothes are made, respect for what the clothes are made out of, respect for the people that make them and respect for the people who wear them." But don't think Bono is suddenly becoming a fashionista. "I don't really do fashion, obviously," he said. "I'm the man who brought you the mullet."

EOnline.comTHEIR KIND OF TOWN: U2 filming two recent Chicago concerts for an upcoming DVD release, according to the band's Website. The Irish rockers also announcing their latest single will be "City of Blinding Lights."

popbitch.comWhen U2 were shooting their live concert video in Vancouver, Bono took 14 production staff to dinner... but picked up the tab for everyone in the restaurant. :wub:

Rick in Oz Jun 5, 2:39 am show options Newsgroups: alt.gossip.celebrities, alt.showbiz.gossip From: "Rick in Oz" <ozbadcat@h*tmail.com> - Find messages by this author Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 16:39:42 +1000 Local: Sun,Jun 5 2005 2:39 am Subject: Bono: 'Dylan's eccentricities are a façade' Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse http://breakingnews.iol.ie/ent­ertainment/...333­00&p=y953... =195334287 Bono: 'Dylan's eccentricities are a façade' 04/06/2005 - 09:19:55 Bono is suspicious of Bob Dylan's "so-called eccentricity" - he is convinced the legendary singer is hiding behind a mask. The U2 frontman claims Blonde On Blonde star Dylan conceals his true self beneath a façade - and the real Dylan is a strong family man who adores his children. He says: "I think underneath all the so-called eccentricity, which I think is just a mask, there's a very true person. "He's a good father - I've seen him with his children - with a moral compass, and who can get lost at sea like everybody. But I think he's very strong." Reply

U2's Souvenir Suit

EOnline.com

by Josh Grossberg

Jun 28, 2005, 2:30 PM PT

U2 has found what it's looking for--and wants the stuff back.

The Irish rockers are suing their former hairstylist to try and recover some gear they say she took without authorization while working on their 1987 Joshua Tree world tour.

Taking time out from the current Vertigo trek, which is conveniently playing a three-night stand in the band's hometown of Dublin, frontman Bono and drummer Larry Mullen Jr. turned up in court Tuesday to explain why Lola Cashman should be prevented from selling band memorabilia she claims was given to her.

Bono wants Cashman to return his trademark Stetson, which he sported in many of the band's classic 1980s video clips, including "With or Without You" and the 1988 concert film, Rattle and Hum. The band also wants back a sweatshirt, trousers, earrings and 200 Polaroids from the era. The cache is valued at about $6,000.

"They sound like trivial items, they're really not. They are important items to the group and we take them seriously," Bono, foregoing his usual black leather jacket for a snappy suit and tie, told the Dublin Circuit Civil Court.

The 44-year-old singer said the band's lawsuit was triggered by Cashman's attempts to auction the items in 2002. The band put the kibosh on the auction and went to court seeking return of the goods. Cashman retaliated with a defamation of character lawsuit.

"You may have wealth and power, but when someone is trying to push us around...at a certain point you have to say, 'Stop right there,' " Bono said. He also denied the band was trying to persecute Cashman because of a tell-all she published last year, Inside the Zoo with U2: My Life with the World's Biggest Rock Band.

While Cashman has insisted the band gave her the items as mementos, Bono said it wasn't the band's policy.

"The stylists would never have asked for them and the band would never have given them," he told the court. Even though the road crew grew to dislike Cashman ("Almost every single person on the tour wanted her off the tour," he said), Bono said he thought she had a good eye and tried to keep her on. She eventually left after a protracted contract renegotiation.

Particularly irksome for Bono was Cashman's attempts to sell his cowboy hat, which he deemed iconic and fit for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

"It would be like the Edge giving one of his guitars away. It is not something which will happen," he said.

When Cashman's lawyer, Hugh Hartnett, tried to suggest that those statements were overblown and the band was still too early in its career to be considered iconic , Bono retorted: "Oh no, we had delusions of grandeur from the very beginning."

Cashman took the stand after Bono departed and told the judge she spent two years working for U2 in the late 1980s, overhauling the quartet's image (making it more "raunchy," per Bono's request) and helping establishing the band's look during its rise to superstardom. She said that U2 never once lodged a complaint with her regarding taking any of their possessions without their permission. She admitted shipping the souvenirs in question from Arizona to her London home.

A former assistant stylist and a wardrobe assistant also testified that they had not been given any memorabilia.

The judge is expected to rule in the coming days.

After the trio of Dublin gigs this week, U2 will be one of the headliners at Saturday's Live 8 concert in London.

U2's Suits and Slacks

EOnline.com

by Josh Grossberg

Jul 5, 2005, 2:20 PM PT

It's a beautiful day for U2--the group managed to sue the pants off a former band aide.

A judge in Dublin ruled Tuesday that the band's onetime hairstylist must return a number of mementos, including Bono's trousers and trademark Stetson hat, that she took without permission.

Dublin Circuit Justice Matthew Deery called Lola Cashman's claims that U2 had given her the gear as a gift at the end of the band's seminal 1987 The Joshua Tree world tour highly "unlikely" given the group's stringent policy of archiving such items.

In addition to the black trousers and cowboy hat (the latter of which Bono sported in such videos as "With or Without You" and in the 1988 concert film Rattle and Hum), Cashman has a week to turn over earrings, a sweatshirt and 200 polaroids taken during the late 1980s.

"The weight of the evidence was entirely against Ms. Cashman in this case," said Deery, who also noted that her possession of the photographs violated a confidentiality agreement she signed with the band.

Neither Cashman nor the band was in court for the verdict. But after the hearing, Bono was quoted by the BBC as saying he and his mates were pleased with the decision.

"This case was brought very reluctantly in the context of a larger dispute which we never invited," the 44-year-old frontman said. "The point of principle involved was of much greater significance to us than any item of memorabilia."

Lawyers for U2 brought the souvenir suit after Cashman attempted to auction off the goods in 2002. The Irish rockers went to court seeking return of the goods.

Cashman retaliated by suing U2 for defamation of character, arguing they were attacking her for publishing the unauthorized tell-all Inside the Zoo with U2.

However, Deery was leery about the stylist's claims in his ruling, stating that the band had a justifiable interest in wanting its stuff back, regardless of the defamation claim.

"It would seem odd if the group were to make a provision to pursue a claim of this nature if the subject was not of importance to the band," the judge said.

Leery scheduled a hearing for July 12 to take up the matter of court costs.

Meanwhile, U2 is back on the road after a rousing performance as one of the headliners at Saturday's Live 8 concert in London.

The band kicked off the proceedings by backing Paul McCartney on a rousing rendition of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." Bono and the boys then delivered a stirring four-song set of "A Beautiful Day," "Vertigo," "One" and "Unchained Melody." They then raced off to Vienna to resume the Euro leg of their Vertigo tour.

OASIS rocker LIAM GALLAGHER has slammed U2 star BONO's "boring" attempts to convert him to Christianity - insisting he is his own God. The WONDERWALL singer recently shattered his rock 'n' roll image by confessing he regularly goes to church to confess his sins, but his belief in himself rises above everything else. But Liam refuses to follow his sibling's religious beliefs, despite Bono's persistent efforts to show him the way of the Lord. He complains, "What can Bono tell me I don't know I'm not looking for guidance. There are days I believe and days I don't. And days I think, 'F**k the lot of them, I'm going for a Stella (beer).' "And when I've had ten of them, I'm f**king God. F**k Bono. I don't need his guidance. He'd talk a glass eye to sleep." (CM/CU/SC)

EOnline.comU2 HONORED: Members of U2 receiving Portugal's Order of Liberty, one of the country's highest honors, for their humanitarian work. President Jorge Sampaio presented the medals to the rockers in a formal ceremony at the presidential palace on Sunday.

EOnline.comLATE NIGHT WITH BONO: Conan O'Brien turning over his entire talk show to U2 on Thursday, calling it Late Night with Conan O'Brien: The U2 Edition. The band is expected to play three songs and be interviewed by the host.

(APNEWS.COM)U2 Complains About Concerts As Fund-RaisersThe Irish rock band U2 is complaining about U.S. lawmakers using its concerts to raise campaign money. Politicians, including Rick Santorum, a powerful Senate Republican, have scheduled fund-raising events in arena skyboxes during shows for the band's North American Vertigo tour, which runs through the end of December. Jamie Drummond, executive director of DATA, an Africa advocacy group co-founded by U2 singer Bono, said in a message posted on the band's Web site: "Neither DATA nor Bono are involved in these (fund-raisers), and they cannot be controlled. The U2 concerts are categorically not fund-raisers for any politician they are rock concerts for U2 fans." Bono is a dedicated lobbyist for the world's poor and AIDS-stricken. Santorum's press secretary, Robert Traynham, said Thursday that the Pennsylvania senator's decision to hold a fund-raiser during Sunday's Philadelphia show is based on his "deep respect and admiration for Bono and their work together over the last few years to fight the global spread of HIV-AIDS." Traynham said Santorum's office hasn't spoken with Bono about the issue, but that it's routine for elected officials to host such fund-raisers at sporting and cultural events. The fund-raiser will go ahead as planned, Traynham said. Santorum, a two-term incumbent and ally of U.S. President George W. Bush, has about $6.6 million (€5.5 million) cash on hand for next year's election, his office said.

(IMDB.COM)Bono Suffers Eye Condition U2 singer Bono is never photographed without his trademark sunglasses because he suffers from an eye condition. The star is aware his ever-present shades have given him a reputation as a poser, while the initial 'B' engraved on the side of them - which he claims stands for the brand, Bulgari - doesn't help either. He tells the New York Daily News, "(I have) very sensitive eyes to light. If somebody takes my photograph, I will see the flash for the rest of the day. My right eye swells up. A lot of people think that, when they see a 'B' on the side, that it's just my own megalomania. Only half the time it is. I'm the (former Filipino first lady) Imelda Marcos of sunglasses."

Posted Image

Bono plays director to guitarist The Edge's antics Monday in South Beach as they film the documentary A Day in the Life of Edge. The pair are in Miami with their band U2 for their sold-out Vertigo tour.

(MSNBC.COM)Bono and Patrick Swayze are embroiled in a dispute over who invented a much-maligned 80’s hair style. “I read somewhere that people think Patrick Swayze invented the mullet,” Bono said, reports Australia’s MX. “Someone needs to tell him I invented the mullet.”

EOnline.comELEVATION: U2's Vertigo world tour selling $260 million in tickets for 90 sold-out dates, making it the top-grossing tour of the year, per Billboard. The Eagles came in second, grossing $117 million for 77 shows.