Sign in to follow this  
princess

PETA

EOnline.com DESTINY'S PROBLEM: PETA placing a full-page ad in Billboard magazine next week to encourage Beyoncé to stop wearing fur because they say the singer has ignored their repeated pleas over the past two years.

PETA has its place and has done some great things, but sometimes I think they take things a little too far. Example: throwing paint etc. on celebrities furs. :rolleyes:

I think PETA should mind their own business. Leave people alone and stop trying to force their beliefs on others. They have a right to their opinions, but so do people who want to wear fur. <_<

If I could I would belong to PETA, I don't think my ego could take everyone calling me names but I admire what they do. I don't always like how they go about things but I wonder if they went about things differently would anyone listen. I don't see killing animals in this day and age. There are so many animals becoming extinct. I've always been wishy washy when it comes to PETA but secretly I cheer them on, now I'm coming out of the closet... I the Peach stand by those nuts throwing blood on people that refuse to stop wearing animal fur.. and Beyonce if I bought your music I would stop in protest.Let the tomatoe throwing begin.

If I could I would belong to PETA, I don't think my ego could take everyone calling me names but I admire what they do. I don't always like how they go about things but I wonder if they went about things differently would anyone listen. I don't see killing animals in this day and age. There are so many animals becoming extinct. I've always been wishy washy when it comes to PETA but secretly I cheer them on, now I'm coming out of the closet... I the Peach stand by those nuts throwing blood on people that refuse to stop wearing animal fur.. and Beyonce if I bought your music I would stop in protest.Let the tomatoe throwing begin.

I do belong to PETA and have the last 2 years, but I still don't think throwing blood is the answer. I belong because I fully believe in better treatment of animals and the good work the organization does on Capitol Hill. I especially am impressed with "Meet your Meat" narrated by Alec Baldwin. I do not knowingly buy and music by celebraties that wear fur and try not to support movies etc. by actors that do the same. I am a semi-vegan - still eat cheese etc. Love most soy products and only drink Silk.That being said, I think protests are in often in order, peaceful protests. Tell me something, what kind of blood are they throwing? Animal? Does that make PETA any better for doing that?Tomatoes can be thrown, but not blood. :rolleyes:

Throwing tomatos/blood is still a criminal act, damage to personal property. PETA has some good ideas, they are just going about it the wrong way. I don't see how a violent act solves a problem.

Throwing tomatos/blood is still a criminal act, damage to personal property. PETA has some good ideas, they are just going about it the wrong way. I don't see how a violent act solves a problem.

Exactly Star Baby. Even though I am a member I totally agree with you.

Good question Temptrous - what kind of blood are they throwing, animal? Human? I also wanted to ask if PETA goes after all people/groups who wear furs or just celebrities because they have more media exposure. I live in Wisconsin and the native people wear buckskins and wolf, racoon and fox pelts at their pow-wows. It's still a part of their culture and religion....would PETA go after them too?

Oh my gosh forgive me but I can't let this go.. Meet your Meat" narrated by Alec Baldwin.

sounds like a video about masturbation ;)

Buff I know how you feel we've talked about it many times. I just thought it's about time I came clean, I really do wish I did more for animals than give money now and again. AND I'm going to admitt that cop daughter has a deer stand and wants to hunt, the only reason she hasn't killed anything yet is because she'll have to put up with me, either crying or ranting.

I don't know much about the blood thing I was just using that as a for instance, yet I do remember it happening. I think it was blood from a slaughter house.

Oh so much death and dying... thats another question I'm going to ask when I get to heaven.. if we have to kill things why do I have to be so sensitive about it?

Don't even get them started Star Baby. :D Any way the only reason I keep my membership is to help along when it comes time to send letters to Capitol Hill and companies that do torture animals. I just don't condone those people. But, like I said, sometimes PETA goes a little too far for my tastes.

Let the tomatoe throwing begin.

I do belong to PETA and have the last 2 years, but I still don't think throwing blood is the answer. I belong because I fully believe in better treatment of animals and the good work the organization does on Capitol Hill. I especially am impressed with "Meet your Meat" narrated by Alec Baldwin.

I do not knowingly buy and music by celebraties that wear fur and try not to support movies etc. by actors that do the same. I am a semi-vegan - still eat cheese etc. Love most soy products and only drink Silk.

That being said, I think protests are in often in order, peaceful protests.

Tell me something, what kind of blood are they throwing? Animal? Does that make PETA any better for doing that?

Tomatoes can be thrown, but not blood. :rolleyes:

Bless you Temptrous. :)

Don't even get them started Star Baby. :D Any way the only reason I keep my membership is to help along when it comes time to send letters to Capitol Hill and companies that do torture animals. I just don't condone those people. But, like I said, sometimes PETA goes a little too far for my tastes.

Don't even get them started Star Baby.

So I guess I shouldn't mention the mink farm my cousin owns? I am against animal testing for make-up, sewing kittens and bunnies eyes shut to see what will happen (who thinks up this crap?) PETA has a good cause, just their priorities are not in the right order. Why go after Beyonce? She is not the only celebrity who wears fur.

OMG Star! My family had a mink ranch for years! Mink are not very likable creatures are they?Anyway I'm against animal testing for cosmetic reasons. Medical testing doesn't bother me as much as long as the animals are treated humanely. Then again with cloning and other technology medical testing on animals may no longer be necessary...but THAT opens up a whole other can-o-worms!LMAO at your Meet Meat comment Peach!

Buff - I was rolling when I read the paragraph, all sorts of evil things when through my mind, like if he met his meat more often maybe he wouldn't be so hostile :o PETA is after Beyonce because she represents fashion and PETA has been after her for 2 years to stop wearing fur. Most of the time she just decorates her costumes with it, I'm saying she could wear faux fur and no one would know the difference.I'm not far from Emory, they use chimps for medical testing. It took them years to give AID's to the chimps and now they can't stop it. Emory is always in the paper being protested against. On the other hand they are helping the primate center at the Atlanta zoo but I have to tell you I still get pissed when I think about them. The things they do to monkeys would make you puke. If they want to test crap test it on death row inmates.. animals never did anything to be treated so barbaric.

Ha Buffgirl! The mink farm was started back in the 30's and my cousin took over when my uncle retired. My cousin is much older that I am, and when I was a little kid they had a pet mink. They declawed him and removed his canines but it was still a nasty little thing....beautiful pelt though! This will get another argument going: faux fur is very harmful to the environment. The processing releases harmful chemicals in the air, worse than a tannery. So if you gotta wear fur, the real stuff is more environmentally friendly.

Posted Image

Those attack dogs at PETA have pulled in their fangs in deference to Bruce Springsteen.

The activist animal-rights group — which specializes in harassing celebs who are unkind to critters — killed an ad because Springsteen’s people said it might upset the star.

The ad is a send-up of the 1984 album “Born in the USA†with the famous cover image of the Boss’s behind, but PETA’s version shows a big bottom with what is unaffectionately known as repairman cleavage and the tagline: “Obese in the USA.â€

Springsteen’s people saw the ad and asked PETA to pull it, says a source.

“The ad was intended to parody the sad shape a meat-addicted America has taken since this classic album came out 2 decades ago,†PETA execs wrote in a memo.

“But Mr. Springsteen’s management felt that people might think we are spoofing Bruce himself, which was never the case.â€

Out of deference to the Boss, who has a pro-animal history, PETA is yanking the ads.

STORE GOES TO BAT FOR CLUBBED SEALS

Page Six

WHAT is it with Abercrombie & Fitch and its T-shirts? Last year the chain infuriated Asian consumers with its "Wong Bros. Laundry: two Wongs can make it white" Ts. Now the retailer, famed for its discontinued catalog of cavorting naked teens, has knocked off a message shirt made famous by the Humane Society. The "Club Sandwiches, Not Seals" sweatshirt entered popular culture on the back of hottie heiress Paris Hilton this winter. "We coined the phrase about 15 years ago," said Pat Ragan , director of the society's Protect Seals campaign, "and we reinvigorated it last year." Instead of being angry at the store for copy-catting, Ragan said her organization is pleased, though they'd like some additional involvement from the chain - along the lines of petitions in its stores and hangtags - "so that people know how they can save the seals." A&F spokesman Tom Lennox declined comment on whether A&F will work with the society. "Just like we said: club sandwiches, not seals," he uttered.

EOnline.com

FASHION STATEMENT: Former NBA star Dennis Rodman appearing nude in profile in an ad sponsored by the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals during New York's Fashion Week with the tagline, "Think Ink, Not Mink: Be Comfortable in Your Own Skin and Let Animals Keep Theirs."

P. Diddy Embroiled in PETA Penguin Battle

Wednesday Feb 23, 2005 8:30am EST

people.com

The plumage at a purported P. Diddy party appears to have ruffled PETA's feathers.

The animal rights activists were outraged by the appearance of six penguins on a floating plexiglass island in the pool at the new Hotel Victor, in Florida's South Beach, reports the New York Post.

"Penguins live in very cold climates, so the heat was probably unbearable for them," PETA spokesman Michael McGraw told the paper. "They're very sensitive to temperatures, so if it was as hot as we've heard, it's a wonder they didn't collapse. In any case, they were likely terrified."

The hip-hop star turned entertainment mogul was billed as "host" of the hotel's opening party, although his publicist, Rob Shuter, tells the Post's Page Six that bringing the penguins was not Combs's idea. "He had nothing to do with planning the party and nothing to do with the hotel," Shuter said.

Nonetheless, this would not be the first time fur has flown between PETA's activists and the artist formerly known as Sean Combs. His Sean John fashion line has made liberal use of animal pelts, and PETA called off a planned 2001 protest after a Combs aide pledged that there would be no fur used in the collection ? a claim that turned out to be untrue.

After hearing that the fur would be nixed, McGraw recalled to the paper, "We sent him flowers and a vegan chocolate champagne bottle. And the next day, there was fur all over his runway. We were duped. We later named him to PETA's annual worst-dressed list."

STAR FEARS DRAG ON HER IMAGE

Page Six

STAR Jones Reynolds is worried that the public won't be able to tell the difference between her and drag queen Flotilla DeBarge.

After PAGE SIX revealed that PETA had hired DeBarge to parody the fur-loving Reynolds in a new ad campaign, the corpulent co-host of "The View" sicced her lawyers on the animal-rights organization.

In a humorless letter to PETA, Jones' lawyers wrote: "While the First Amendment . . . protects legitimate parody, [it] does not sanction the misappropriation of a person's identity for purposes of trade or advertising . . . Thus, PETA does not have the right to use an impersonator . . . As you prepare your advertisements, we urge you to keep this distinction in mind."

But the lawyers are insulting Star, because their argument only makes sense if the public could actually mistake DeBarge for her. They seem to be saying their client resembles an overweight, 6-foot-tall drag queen.

PETA, uncowed, had its own lawyers fire back. "The legal positions in your letter are without merit and it appears to be a thinly veiled attempt to coerce PETA into silence about [Jones'] support for the cruel fur industry," PETA's letter notes.

"As you acknowledge, PETA possesses a right and indeed a duty in furtherance of its charitable animal protection mission, to speak out against your client's practice of wearing animal fur. As a public figure, she is subject to public criticism and parody by Ms. DeBarge and PETA for this conduct, and in no way does such speech constitute false advertising, false designation of origin, or misappropriation of identity.

"With all due respect, we cannot believe that Ms. Jones Reynolds would remain unmoved by the video footage we have in our possession of animals suffering greatly when killed for their fur. Therefore, we fervently hope that you will ask your client to meet with us and allow us to make our case to her on behalf of the animals and to present her with a beautiful faux fur."

As of last night, Jones Reynolds had not taken PETA up on its offer, and her rep said: "Ms. Reynolds and her attorney are continuing to monitor the situation."

PETA is still going ahead with the DeBarge ad campaign, which shoots today at an undisclosed location.

EONline.comFOR THE CRITTERS: Alec Baldwin receiving the Linda McCartney Memorial Award at PETA's 25th anniversary in gala on Sept. 10 for his work on the short documentary Meet Your Meat that PETA officials said has helped bring about policy changes at Burger King.

(NYDailynews.com)

PETA snarling at Wintour

Anna Wintour better beef up her security this Fashion Week. The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals are again on the march against the fur-loving Vogue editrix — led by Heather Mills McCartney.

"The woman doesn't have a heart," Sir Paul's missus declared at Saturday's 25th anniversary PETA gala in L.A. Branding her "Cruella Wintour" — after the evil Dalmatian-slayer of cartoon fame — Heather told us that even some "fake fur" is "made of dog and cats being skinned alive." Heather said she also plans to lead a boycott here against other fur-traffickers, including J. Crew, which she dubbed, "J. Cruel."

Fellow honorees Andy Dick and Pink urged the crowd to boycott anything from furry Jennifer Lopez, whom they dubbed, "J. Bitch."

Pink also heaped contumely on Beyoncé, saying, "She's got a big button — let's push hers!"

Alec Baldwin thanked his ex-wife, Kim Basinger, for "opening my eyes to animal rights. … Look at the way [Hurricane] Katrina was handled — the way the government treats people and their animals is a tragedy."

Meanwhile, Vogue contributing editor Andre Leon Talley is also being targeted this week. Gadfly designer Mal Sirrah wants people to boycott Talley. Sirrah (formerly known as Harris Lam) claims the towering style arbiter told someone he wouldn't come to Sirrah's Convent Ave. show because, " wouldn't be caught dead going to a fashion show in Harlem." Sirrah also claims Talley, who is black, "has systematically ignored the contributions of African-Americans in fashion."

Talley says he never got an invitation to Sirrah's show, much less made the crack about Harlem.

"Andre has actively supported black designers," says a Vogue rep, noting that the Rev. Calvin Butts recognized his fund-raising for the Abyssinian Development Corp.

Oh, and how do we boycott Talley — by not laughing at his quips?