princess

Oprah Winfrey

Oprah to Pen Book on Weight Control

Monday May 22, 2006 10:00am EST

By Stephen M. Silverman

Oprah Winfrey has inked a deal to write a book about weight control, Simon & Schuster announced at this weekend's Book Expo publishing convention in Washington, D.C.

The book is due for a January release.

Though no specific figure was given, the New York Post reports that sources say Winfrey's advance exceeds the $12 million Bill Clinton received for his 2004 memoir, My Life.

Collaborating with Winfrey, 52, will be her longtime fitness trainer, Bob Greene.

Greene co-wrote 1996's Make the Connection: Ten Steps to a Better Body – And a Better Life with Winfrey and is the author of such titles as Bob Greene's Total Body Makeover and The Get with the Program! Guide to Good Eating.

Uhhh...isn't like taking driving lessons from Halle Berry? Or listening to Robert Downey Jr. on how to stay off drugs? :huh:

LOL, BobbyD! This reminds me of the email that went around a while back of the world's shortest books:MY PLAN TO FIND THE REAL KILLERS by O J SimpsonTHE BOOK OF VIRTUES by Bill ClintonTHINGS I WOULD NOT DO FOR MONEY by Dennis RodmanTHE WILD YEARS by Al GoreGEORGE FOREMAN'S BIG BOOK OF BABY NAMESBEAUTY SECRETS by Janet Reno MIKE TYSON'S GUIDE TO DATING ETIQUETTE...to name a few.

Edited by RedandBlue

Ice Cube Joins Voices Against OprahNEW YORKRappers Ludacris and 50 Cent have dissed Oprah Winfrey. Now, Ice Cube has a beef with the talk show queen. "I've been involved in three projects pitched to her, but I've never been asked to participate," the rapper-actor tells FHM magazine in its July issue, on newsstands June 6. "For 'Barbershop,' she had Cedric the Entertainer and Eve on, but I wasn't invited," says the 36-year-old rapper, referring to his 2002 movie. "Maybe she's got a problem with hip-hop." Cube adds: "She's had damn rapists, child molesters and lying authors on her show. And if I'm not a rags-to-riches story for her, who is?" A call by The Associated Press to Winfrey's spokeswoman at her production company, Harpo, was not immediately returned Friday. Last month, 50 complained that Winfrey rarely invites rappers on her talk show: "I think she caters to older white women." Ludacris, whose real name is Chris Bridges, told GQ magazine that the media mogul was "unfair" to him during a show he appeared on last October with co- stars from best-picture Oscar winner "Crash." Earlier this month, Winfrey defended herself in a surprise appearance on New York City-based radio station Power 105.1. "I listen to some hip-hop," she told DJ Ed Lover. "You know, I've been accused of not liking hip-hop and that's just not true. I got a little 50 (Cent) on my iPod. I really do. Love 'In Da Club.' ... Love that, and you know, love Jay-Z, love Kanye (West), love Mary J. (Blige)." Ice Cube, whose other films include "Friday" and "Three Kings," will release his latest album, "Laugh Now, Cry Later," on June 6.

Last month, 50 complained that Winfrey rarely invites rappers on her talk show: "I think she caters to older white women." Ludacris, whose real name is Chris Bridges, told GQ magazine that the media mogul was "unfair" to him during a show he appeared on last October with co- stars from best-picture Oscar winner "Crash."

Who cares if Oprah doesn't like rap? Isn't she entitled to like and dislike what she wants?

I care damn it.  I want that beyatch's head on a platter!

*Hides under a blanket and disguises voice* I LOVE her! Maybe I've been hoodwinked, but I find her to be authentic and constructive. That is not to say she doesn't have her own promotional agenda, but compared to most, I think she's great. :unsure: *Runs away*

*whispers ... i agree with poofball and think Oprah would make a better President than any of the candidates we have now**runs away**runs back* Having said that though, I do find her ego lately (lately? okay, for awhile now) to be hugely annoying. Sometimes I think she thinks she actually IS God. But, because unlike so many other celebrities, I think she does so much REAL good for people on a daily basis.... (not just her shows, which are so often pretty informative and sometimes even radical, but also her charity work)....I can let her get away with it. Even though she annoys me sometimes.*runs away again*

:D PoofI was just kidding. Although I will say I have found her to be catching Egomanus Cruisitis lately with the Herme's incident; the lecture of the author who lied; and the comments about how she is so happy she is wealthy even if there were so many poor in the world. I can't remember the exact quote, but I thought to myself "Man she is getting the big head."

*runs back* Having said that though, I do find her ego lately (lately? okay, for awhile now) to be hugely annoying. Sometimes I think she thinks she actually IS God. But, because unlike so many other celebrities, I think she does so much REAL good for people on a daily basis.... (not just her shows, which are so often pretty informative and sometimes even radical, but also her charity work)....I can let her get away with it. Even though she annoys me sometimes.*runs away again*

Looks like we have the same issue with Oprah as of late!

*runs back* Having said that though, I do find her ego lately (lately? okay, for awhile now) to be hugely annoying. Sometimes I think she thinks she actually IS God. But, because unlike so many other celebrities, I think she does so much REAL good for people on a daily basis.... (not just her shows, which are so often pretty informative and sometimes even radical, but also her charity work)....I can let her get away with it. Even though she annoys me sometimes.*runs away again*

Looks like we have the same issue with Oprah as of late!
True Confessions Time: Since I don't live in the States, I only catch her show sporadically (and probably only would tune in every now and then anyway). The bad author smackdown was news to even the Bushmen of the Kalahari, so I was aware of that, but the other stuff refering to her holier-than-thou attitude I wasn't really aware of. I'd be so bummed with my girl if she gave up on the goodness altogether and sprouted a big ego. :unsure: *Hides behind nearest corner to check if the coast is clear*

*whispers ... i agree with poofball and think Oprah would make a better President than any of the candidates we have now**runs away*

ITA with you on that issue, as in many other countries a president is a figurehead, who should - in theory - stay out of day-to-day politics and represent the country.That said, I nedd to assemble my soapbox- won't be a minute...

*runs back* Having said that though, I do find her ego lately (lately? okay, for awhile now) to be hugely annoying.  Sometimes I think she thinks she actually IS God.  But, because unlike so many other celebrities, I think she does so much REAL good for people on a daily basis.... (not just her shows, which are so often pretty informative and sometimes even radical, but also her charity work)....I can let her get away with it.  Even though she annoys me sometimes.*runs away again*

*steps on soapbox*She does a lot of good, yes, but mostly with other people's money, not necessarily her own billions, as she often petitions her viewers to donate to causes and then sells it as her charity in public .And e.g. the medical advice people give on her show is more often than not questionable.*steps down again* *dismantles soapbox again and stows it away for later use*

LOL. I agree with all of you. Annoying ego, good works. I don't watch her enough to really see enough of the medical shows but that is probably a very good point too. And she did spawn Dr. Phil, so that's another negative, LOL. So I agree...but...then...every time I start to get annoyed with her, invariably I'll see all or part of some rerun where she's telling women how to escape from abusive husbands, or helping prostitutes or drug addicts start a new life, or making people aware of some world issue the mass media isn't even covering, etc. etc. and I think about how many people are probably helped by watching her and then I get all in love with Oprah again.

LOL.  I agree with all of you.  Annoying ego, good works.  I don't watch her enough to really see enough of the medical shows but that is probably a very good point too.  And she did spawn Dr. Phil, so that's another negative, LOL. So I agree...but...then...every time I start to get annoyed with her, invariably I'll see all or part of some rerun where she's telling women how to escape from abusive husbands, or helping prostitutes or drug addicts start a new life, or making people aware of some world issue the mass media isn't even covering, etc. etc. and I think about how many people are probably helped by watching her and then I get all in love with Oprah again.

I used to love her but I'm just sick of seeing her hand in everything. I'm sick of seeing her brag about her possessions, homes, friends, etc. I think it's tacky. But I'm most sick of seeing her AIRBRUSHED self on the cover of her friggin magazine every month. It's like this big lie! And it pisses me off that she gives marriage advice when she's never been married, and parenting advice when she's not a parent. She came here to San Diego with Bill & Melinda Gates to tour a school project that they created. It was hush hush and even the local network that carries her show wasn't told she was coming! (Is it a coincidence that they dropped her? I think not.) Anyway, everyone at the school (kids, parents and teachers) had to sign confidentiality agreements so nobody talked. No media. Then, she puts it on a show that made it look like she was somehow involved in something similar? She wasn't! I guess she wanted some of that Gates magic to rub off on her. Anyway, it pissed me off.

Well I would just like to throw in that I am an actress and gorgeous to boot, and I believe that Oprah did not do this. Its NOT TRUE.

*Falls out of Chair*LOL! Nice one... :D

Well I would just like to throw in that I am an actress and gorgeous to boot, and I believe that Oprah did not do this.  Its NOT TRUE.

Huh? Didn't do what?

Well I would just like to throw in that I am an actress and gorgeous to boot, and I believe that Oprah did not do this. Its NOT TRUE.

LMAOI was not expecting that but it made me laugh out loud!

LOL.  I agree with all of you.  Annoying ego, good works.  I don't watch her enough to really see enough of the medical shows but that is probably a very good point too.  And she did spawn Dr. Phil, so that's another negative, LOL.

So I agree...but...then...every time I start to get annoyed with her, invariably I'll see all or part of some rerun where she's telling women how to escape from abusive husbands, or helping prostitutes or drug addicts start a new life, or making people aware of some world issue the mass media isn't even covering, etc. etc. and I think about how many people are probably helped by watching her and then I get all in love with Oprah again.

Embarrassingly, I even get a tear in my eye when watching her show sometimes. :unsure: But Dr. Phil is a major strike against her good deeds. *Assembling slingshot to nail him on his shiny stupid head*

LOL!  I will help you point the slingshot.I've been moved by her shows before too  :unsure:

Thanks, Soho. You are a true sistah. :) Now could somebody please explain about the gorgeous actress and the something about Oprah not doing something?

:)  Now could somebody please explain about the gorgeous actress and the something about Oprah not doing something?

Yes please? I keep checking back because I didn't get it. But I do love Nate. I'd like to adopt him. He's one of her redeeming qualities. :wub:

LOL!  I will help you point the slingshot.I've been moved by her shows before too  :unsure:

Thanks, Soho. You are a true sistah. :) Now could somebody please explain about the gorgeous actress and the something about Oprah not doing something?
Check Material Boy thread in BI...and a certain expert to the stars weighed in on why Seann William Scott is a beautiful human being.

Check Material Boy thread in BI...and a certain expert to the stars weighed in on why Seann William Scott is a beautiful human being.

Thanks BobbyD. I get it now. :D