princess

Jada Pinkett-Smith & Will Smith

Will Smith: 'Sex Kept Me Off Drugs'

Actor makes unlikely confession...

Posted Image

Will Smith has revealed that his sex obsession kept him away from drugs as a teenager.

The actor – currently on the promotional trail for new movie I Am Legend - insists that he has managed to stay drug free throughout his life by fantasizing about women instead.

He says: “Through my teenage years I was too focused on sex to even think about any other vices.

“I’m much the same now. No drugs and only the occasional drink.”

(Pagesix.com)

Gotta Believe

THE growing friendship between Will Smith and Tom Cruise has led to speculation that Smith and his wife, Jada Pinkett Smith, have joined Cruise's Scientology sect. Cruise accompanied Smith to Tuesday night's premiere of "I Am Legend" at the Theater at Madison Square Garden. Those who could find seats at the over-booked event loved the spine-tingling mutant zombie-fest. But Cruise couldn't have liked the spiritual message of the thriller's ending, where God's saving grace appears in the last reel with a crucifix-wearing Brazilian. And Smith apparently still believes in the Almighty rather than L. Ron Hubbard.

‘I Am Legend’ sets big box-office record

Will Smith flick brings in $76.5 million for biggest December opening ever

MSNBC.com

LOS ANGELES - For the last man on Earth, Will Smith sure has a lot of friends.

The Warner Bros. tale “I Am Legend,” starring Smith as a plague survivor who may be the last living human, debuted with $76.5 million, the biggest December opening ever and a personal best for one of Hollywood’s top box-office champs, according to studio estimates Sunday.

“It’s no wonder Will Smith feels so lonely. Everyone else on Earth is in the movie theater,” said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Media By Numbers.

The 20th Century Fox family flick “Alvin and the Chipmunks,” starring Jason Lee in a big-screen take on the cartoon critters, opened a strong No. 2 with $45 million. The two films combined to give Hollywood a year-end surge after a drowsy fall season.

“Forty-five million acorns,” said Chris Aronson, senior vice president for distribution at 20th Century Fox. “Chipmunks are diurnal animals and they do hibernate, but not right now.”

Johnny Depp is a demonic barber, Tom Cruise an ambitious senator, Denzel Washington a drug kingpin, more.

Overall business soared, with the top 12 movies taking in $153.6 million, up 39 percent from the same weekend a year earlier, when Smith also was No. 1 with a $26.5 million debut for “The Pursuit of Happyness.”

The previous No. 1 movie, New Line Cinema’s fantasy “The Golden Compass,” nose-dived in its second weekend, coming in third with $9 million, down a dismal 65 percent from its less-than-expected $25.8 million debut a week earlier.

“The Golden Compass,” which cost $180 million to produce, has done $90 million so far overseas but has proven a dud domestically with just $41 million.

Estimated ticket sales for Dec. 14-16

1. “I Am Legend,” $76.5 million.

2. “Alvin and the Chipmunks,” $45 million.

3. “The Golden Compass,” $9 million.

4. “Enchanted,” $6 million.

5. “No Country for Old Men,” $3 million.

6. “The Perfect Holiday,” $2.97 million.

7. “Fred Claus,” $2.3 million.

8. “This Christmas,” $2.3 million.

9. “Atonement,” $1.85 million.

10. “August Rush,” $1.8 million.

On the other hand, “I Am Legend” smashed Smith’s personal debut record, easily exceeding the $52.1 million opening weekends of “I, Robot” and “Men in Black II,” his previous bests. “I Am Legend” outdid the $72.6 million premiere of 2003’s “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King,” the previous best December opening.

“It’s nice to be in the Will Smith business,” said Dan Fellman, head of distribution for Warner Bros. “He is just the No. 1 box-office star in the world today.”

Based on the Richard Matheson novel filmed twice before as Vincent Price’s “The Last Man on Earth” and Charlton Heston’s “The Omega Man,” “I Am Legend” casts Smith as a scientist trying to find a cure and fighting off the vestiges of humanity, people transformed by the plague into vampire-like creatures.

Two Golden Globe nominees just hitting theaters did well in their second weekends.

Focus Features’ “Atonement” — a tragic romance that led the Globes with seven nominations, including best drama and acting honors for Keira Knightley and James McAvoy — pulled in $1.85 million in 117 theaters. That gave “Atonement” a strong average of $15,835 a theater, compared to $21,224 in 3,606 cinemas for “I Am Legend.”

Fox Searchlight’s “Juno,” a teen-pregnancy comedy whose three nominations included best comedy or musical and an acting honor for Ellen Page, grossed $1.44 million in 40 theaters for a $36,018 average.

“Atonement” and “Juno” expand into nationwide release over the next three weekends.

Another Golden Globe nominee, the Paramount Classics-DreamWorks foreign-language contender “The Kite Runner,” debuted strongly with $450,970 in 35 theaters for a $12,885 average. Spanning the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan to modern times, the film follows an emigrant to America who returns home to rescue the son of a childhood friend.

Francis Ford Coppola’s first film in 10 years, “Youth Without Youth” from Sony Pictures Classics, had a so-so debut of $27,815 in six theaters, averaging $4,636. The film stars Tim Roth as an elderly language scholar whose youth is restored by a lightning strike.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Will Smith, Hollywood's best good guy

"I Am Legend" director: Will Smith funny, charming, handsome, real

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Will Smith already has it all: the picture-perfect family, a film career that blends commercial hits with artistic acclaim, the occasional foray into music, where he scored his first success.

Will Smith is "great at what he does, he's happy at what he does," says "I Am Legend's" director.

Now Smith even gets to outlive us all.

In his latest film, "I Am Legend," one of Hollywood's most consistent box-office draws plays the man who may be the sole human survivor of a global plague. The 39-year-old's golden touch would be vexing, if he weren't such a nice guy.

"Until I met him, I've always believed that there are balances in people. That you really can't be smart, handsome, charismatic, happy. You can't be all of that," said "Legend" director Francis Lawrence.

"He's one of the only people that I can truly say kind of has all of that. He's funny, he's charming, he's smart, he's handsome, he's happy, he's got a great marriage, he's a great father, he's great at what he does, he's happy at what he does. It's sort of disgusting. So if anybody would be the last man standing, it's Will." Watch Smith talk about a "blank spot" in his life »

How lucky is he? Here's how the past year has gone for Smith, who made the leap to the big screen after rising to TV stardom with "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air."

After a string of hits such as the romance "Hitch," the cartoon comedy "Shark Tale" and the sci-fi saga "I, Robot," Smith put out last December's smaller, riskier "The Pursuit of Happyness," the story of a struggling single dad who ends up homeless along with his young son.

Not necessarily the feel-good film of the holiday season, and topping things off, the boy was played by Jaden Smith, his 9-year-old son with actress Jada Pinkett Smith.

That could have spelled dreary ego project, but the film caught on with audiences, becoming Smith's latest $100 million smash and earning him his second Academy Award nomination as best actor, following a previous honor for the title role in 2001's "Ali."

Now he's back with an apocalyptic tale for the holidays, when people generally have things on their minds other than the end of the world. But Smith has already turned "I Am Legend" into a hit: with its $76.5 million box office opening weekend, it's taken first place as the best December opening ever -- and the biggest of Smith's career.

Oh, and he gets to work with one of his kids again. This time, it was take-Will's-daughter-to-work day, with his and Pinkett Smith's 7-year-old girl, Willow Smith, playing his daughter in flashback scenes.

With mom and dad in show business, the children seem to have acting bred in the bone, Smith said.

"Jaden always likes the scripts for some reason. He likes having scripts read to him. He likes the idea of maybe the shorter pages of reading than actually a book," Smith told The Associated Press in an interview. "So he from 4 years old has always said, 'Acting's easy. I don't know why it's such a big deal. What you do, Daddy, I can do that easy.'

"He looks at the 'Fresh Prince' and he's like, 'That's not even good acting, Daddy.' "

Jaden and Willow already have very different acting approaches, Smith said. His son is an emotional sponge, absorbing the moods of those around him, reacting with authentic, visceral feeling to others, even in make-believe acting situations.

On the other hand, Willow is Teflon, taking things in and making conscious choices over how to react in her performance, Smith said.

Smith's own style comes closer to his son's.

"I need everyone to be in a good mood in order to be able to perform well," Smith said. "I need the set to be comfortable. I need the emotion or the mood of the set to lend itself to the mood of the scene. Those types of things are a real necessity for me.

"I will get physically sick if I spend too much time in down situations. I was in Sweden once in the winter time when it's dark. I got physically sick. And it's hugely important for me to be like (claps his hands loudly) 'Come on, let's get going!' I'm faster, I'm better, I can be funnier. It's better for my body, for my sanity, for my family, for my life, if people are having fun. My skin is better."

Nearly everyone gets physically sick in "I Am Legend," the third adaptation of Richard Matheson's book, which previously was filmed as Vincent Price's "The Last Man on Earth" and Charlton Heston's "The Omega Man."

This version has Smith alone with a dog for much of the movie, scrounging supplies in New York City and trying to find a cure for a disease that has wiped out most of humanity and turned the rest into ravenous, vampire-like creatures.

Besides the dog, Smith interacts mainly with mannequins for the first hour, so the role required someone with huge charisma to hold audiences' attention.

"It's a big challenge, and I really admire him for it," said Alice Braga, who plays one of the film's few other human characters. "He's perfect for this role. People are really engaged with him. When he walks in a room, of course, everyone goes, 'It's Will Smith!' But forget that he's Will Smith. He is really that engaging."

Smith's infectious personality turns movie sets often overloaded with egos and prima donnas into truly pleasant workplaces, colleagues say.

"Will comes in every day as if it is his job to be generous. It's so extraordinary. It engenders this work environment where you feel safe and you get to play around. There's nothing worse than a movie set where there are eggshells on the floor," said Akiva Goldsman, whose credits include the screenplays for "I Am Legend," "I, Robot" and next summer's "Hancock," in which Smith plays an alcoholic superhero opposite Charlize Theron.

Goldsman jokes that he wants fellow Hollywood saint Ron Howard, for whom he wrote the screenplay for "A Beautiful Mind," to work on a film together "so that we could all die of nice."

Smith and Howard would make a good fit, men with keen box-office instincts but also an interest in stretching themselves artistically, so they're not just doing the same thing over and over.

In Smith's case, work choices come down to stories and filmmakers.

"It's all material and team. It's that simple," Smith said. "My experience has been that a lot of actors start with a good role that they would want to play. I never start with the role. I start with, is this a movie that people would want to see? Would anyone want to see this movie? OK, who? What about this makes it a MOVIE people want to see vs. a CHARACTER people would want to see?"

Most of Smith's big-budgeted films have paid off nicely, including the "Men in Black" movies, "Bad Boys II" and "Independence Day."

Even his few misses, such as "The Legend of Bagger Vance," have tended toward fiscal responsibility, since those more character-driven pieces are shot on lower budgets than his $100-million-plus spectacles, with Smith taking a much smaller paycheck up front.

"The budget has to be on par, parallel to the audiences' desire to see the movie. Then every once in a while, you're wrong one way or the other. I was actually dead wrong with 'Pursuit of Happyness.' It was, 'OK, this movie has to be $40 million, and I'm not taking my fee and all of that.'

"Which turned out to be wrong. But that's the good wrong. ... If you're wrong the 'Pursuit of Happyness' way, you're a hero. If you're wrong the other way, you get 75 people fired at the studio, and I don't ever want to be that guy."

Pitt's star power couldn't help 'James'

Specialty film fails at box office despite Brad

By PAMELA MCCLINTOCK

"The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" signals a trend that leaves Hollywood worried as 2007 rings out: A number of pics touting the biggest stars couldn't find their groove.

Specialty films like "Jesse James," featuring Brad Pitt and directed by New Zealander Andrew Dominik, joined others starring Tom Cruise, Angelina Jolie, Nicole Kidman and Meryl Streep in getting lost at the box office this fall.

"Jesse James" has grossed just $3.8 million domestically and another $7.5 million overseas. It's still playing in 30 or so theaters in the U.S., with Warners hoping for a bump from its awards runs. But with such low box office, the film is in a precarious position.

All the publicity is putting a lot of pressure on Mike Nichols' Tom Hanks-Julia Roberts starrer "Charlie Wilson's War," which unspooled Dec. 21.

The idea that the biggest stars aren't bulletproof is nothing new; it's just never happened to this extent in one year.

And, in the case of "Jesse James," it once again raises the age-old question -- at what point does a studio take back power from the filmmaker?

Making "James" was a long and arduous process. There was a well-publicized tug-of-war between director Andrew Dominik, who caught Hollywood's attention with indie title "Chopper," and Warners over the editing of the film.

Warners' wasn't entirely in sync with the pacing of the movie, or the length (one cut ran more than three hours). Dominik was thinking more like Terence Malick in examining the relationship between the famous outlaw and his eventual assassin, Robert Ford, played by Casey Affleck. Warners was in favor of having at least a bit more action.

Dominik based his script on the book by Ron Hansen.

Ultimately, Warners went with Dominik's version, even though Dominik didn't have final cut as part of his contract. Part of the reason was that Pitt, who produced the movie through his Plan B shingle, backed Dominik. At one point along the way, Pitt and exec producer Ridley Scott had put together their own cut. When it tested to only so-so results, they went back to Dominik's.

Another chief reason is that Warners considers itself to be a filmmaker-friendly studio. That has been one of the hallmarks of Jeff Robinov's tenure as prexy of production, and he soon will be transitioning to a larger role at the studio.

"We're not a place that says, 'It's my way or the highway,' " one Warners executive says.

The studio says "Jesse James" cost $30 million to produce. Shooting was actually completed in the latter part of 2005; the release was delayed by more than a year until September 2007 due to editing.

By the time "Jesse James" opened in five locations Sept. 21, Warners had tempered its expectations; usually, when a film underperforms at the box office, there's all sorts of hand-wringing back on the studio lot.

Warners is surprised, though, that Pitt isn't getting more awards attention in the U.S. after winning best actor for the pic at the Venice Film Fest.

So far, it's Affleck who is feeling most of the awards heat. Affleck nabbed a Golden Globe supporting actor nom, and won the supporting actor nod from the National Board of Review.

One studio exec says people are in the mood to be entertained -- regardless of the name on the marquee, at least to some extent.

"I think it's the movie, not the movie star," one studio exec says. "Movies like 'Juno' have the accumulation of great contemporary resonance, and you have a dazzling breakthrough performance in Ellen Page."

The star that turned out to be the legend of the 2007 box office? Will Smith, whose "I Am Legend" debuted at $76.5 million, the highest opening ever for a December pic.

Remeber when everyone - EVERYONE - used to gush about Tom Cruise? He was a hero, he was the crush of Rosie O'Donnell's life, he found out that Renee Zellwegger wanted a stereo so sent her (young and almost-broke at the time) one for her birthday?

I like Will but worry that when we set a person on a pedestal, she/he is bound to fall and fall hard. I hope that in 5 years we won't feel about him the way we now feel about tommy.

Remeber when everyone - EVERYONE - used to gush about Tom Cruise? He was a hero, he was the crush of Rosie O'Donnell's life, he found out that Renee Zellwegger wanted a stereo so sent her (young and almost-broke at the time) one for her birthday?

I like Will but worry that when we set a person on a pedestal, she/he is bound to fall and fall hard. I hope that in 5 years we won't feel about him the way we now feel about tommy.

Oh, he's already swallowed the $cieno kool-aid.

I think he did 2..but I like 2 think(I'm not a fan-but have much respect for his business sense/talent) he is a very intelligent, shrewd, businessman...he just might be playing both sides....I couldn't see him telling TC to buzz off, when he comes barging in to all his premieres. :wacko:

I think he did 2..but I like 2 think(I'm not a fan-but have much respect for his business sense/talent) he is a very intelligent, shrewd, businessman...he just might be playing both sides....I couldn't see him telling TC to buzz off, when he comes barging in to all his premieres. :wacko:

I'm really really hoping that BobbyD is on to something here as I too am hoping he's just playing things politically smart for Hollywood. I really don't want to see Will go the way of GMD.

I like him, but for all his bluster and jazz throughout a whole series of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air he was still easily eclipsed by Carlton and Geoffrey's 'make me a sandwich' skit.

BTW, it was recently in the news that Carlton is dating a gorgeous porn star.

Smith: 'Hitler was a good person'

Will Smith has stunned the world by declaring that even Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler was essentially a "good" person.

The Men In Black star, 39, is determined to see the best in people, and is convinced the former German leader did not fully understand the extent of the pain and suffering his actions would cause during his time in power in the 1930s and '40s.

He says, "Even Hitler didn't wake up going, 'Let me do the most evil thing I can do today'.

"I think he woke up in the morning and using a twisted, backwards logic, he set out to do what he thought was 'good'. Stuff like that just needs reprogramming."

Hitler's totalitarian leadership as Fuhrer during 1934 until his eventual suicide in 1945 resulted in the persecution of an estimated six million Jews in the Holocaust, and his invasion of Poland in 1939 led to the start of the Second World War.

Edited by QTPIE

Will Smith has stunned the world by declaring that even Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler was essentially a "good" person.

:o :blink: :o :blink: :o :blink: :( :( :( :(

OMG, OMG, OMG ~ Can we officially declare that GMD has taken over the body formerly occupied by Will Smith? Damn you to hell Tom Cruise and take all your robots with you!

I cannot wait to hear the fallout in Hollywood over this. May you both join Mel Gibson in having your careers hit the shit fan! :angry:

The Men In Black star, 39, is determined to see the best in people, and is convinced the former German leader did not fully understand the extent of the pain and suffering his actions would cause during his time in power in the 1930s and '40s.

He says, "Even Hitler didn't wake up going, 'Let me do the most evil thing I can do today'.

"I think he woke up in the morning and using a twisted, backwards logic, he set out to do what he thought was 'good'. Stuff like that just needs reprogramming."

Hitler's totalitarian leadership as Fuhrer during 1934 until his eventual suicide in 1945 resulted in the persecution of an estimated six million Jews in the Holocaust, and his invasion of Poland in 1939 led to the start of the Second World War.

There goes any respect I had for Mr. Smith. He and Tom are in the same league. CRAZY.

Jesus Tapdancing Christ..... What's next? His thoughts on how Stalin just got carried away when he caused 20-60 million people to starve to death? Joe just wanted to help them get in shape? :rolleyes:

Twisted Words?

Posted Image

Will Smith had an interview with a Scottish newspaper where he talked about Hitler. Not a good move. Will said that Hitler "didn't wake up going, 'Let me do the most evil thing I can do today.' ... I think he woke up in the morning and using a twisted, backwards logic, he set out to do what he thought was 'good.'"

Okay, I know what he's saying. He's basically saying that Hitler did the things he did, because he was a crazy fuck and not because he wanted to do bad things. Will didn't put it the right way. Well, it's being twisted around to make it sound like Will is saying Hitler was a good person.

The Jewish Defense League is pissed! They issued this statement to TMZ : "Will's words spit on the memory of every person murdered by the Nazis. His disgusting words stick a knife in the backs of every veteran who fought (and sometimes died) to save the world from the intentions of Adolf Hitler."

Will's rep later issued this statement to TMZ: "It is an awful and disgusting lie. It speaks to the dangerous power of an ignorant person with a pen. I am incensed and infuriated to have to respond to such ludicrous misinterpretation."

This is why most actors should not discuss important topics. They should stick to what they know best. Sit there and look pretty and talk about the movie. Talk about how much you love your wife even though you really wish she had a 10-inch dick. Actually, Jada probably does.

http://www.dlisted.com/

Actor Will Smith, who angered the Jewish community this week by reportedly defending Adolf Hitler, says that his remarks were taken out of context.

“It speaks to the dangerous power of an ignorant person with a pen,” says the Oscar nominee, who calls the quotes attributed to him in the Scottish newspaper the Daily Record “an awful and disgusting lie.”

“I am incensed and infuriated to have to respond to such ludicrous misinterpretation."

He added: "Adolph Hitler was a vile, heinous vicious killer responsible for one of the greatest acts of evil committed on this planet."

Last week, the Record quoted the actor as saying that the German dictator was essentially a good person who did not comprehend the suffering that he was inflicting upon others.

"Even Hitler didn't wake up going, 'Let me do the most evil thing I can do today,'” the 39-year-old reportedly said. "I think he woke up in the morning and using a twisted, backwards logic, he set out to do what he thought was 'good.' Stuff like that just needs reprogramming."

The Jewish Defense League immediately denounced Will's comments as "ignorant, detestable and offensive" and is asking movie theaters to boycott his new film, I Am Legend.

pagesix

(Pagesix.com)

Almost Arnie

WILL Smith hit it big over the weekend with "I Am Legend," which has taken in $137 million in just two weeks - but if producers had had their way, the film would have starred Arnold Schwarzenegger. An insider who once headed a movie company said, "That script was floating around Hollywood for 12 years. Arnold was originally attached to it right after the box office success of 'Terminator 2,' but all of a sudden he decided he wasn't interested and the project was shelved." Instead, Schwarzenegger went on to star in "Last Action Hero" and "Collateral Damage" before becoming California's governor.

Actor Will Smith, who angered the Jewish community this week by reportedly defending Adolf Hitler, says that his remarks were taken out of context.

“It speaks to the dangerous power of an ignorant person with a pen,” says the Oscar nominee, who calls the quotes attributed to him in the Scottish newspaper the Daily Record “an awful and disgusting lie.”

“I am incensed and infuriated to have to respond to such ludicrous misinterpretation."

He added: "Adolph Hitler was a vile, heinous vicious killer responsible for one of the greatest acts of evil committed on this planet."

pagesix

Um, yeah ~ you were totally quoted out of context ~ that's it. :rolleyes:

A part of me is hoping that Smith is telling the truth because I've always wanted to believe that he's a good guy inside compared to many others in the business but then again ~ I think he's been brainwashed by Cruise and had probably just spoken to him right before the interview and GMD convinced him (for the sake of his own upcoming nazi movie) that Hitler was just misunderstood. Then Smith, wakes up from the hypnosis stage and realizes "OMG ~ I did not say that!"