Sign in to follow this  
Cutielb99

Jennifer Hudson

With an Oscar and a Golden Globe trophy already on her shelf, Jennifer Hudson is aiming for the Triple Crown of awards: a Grammy in 2008.

"I used to watch the Grammys and dream of winning one," she told PEOPLE at a New Year's Eve event headlined by the Dreamgirls star in Miami. "Maybe that can be next on my list."

Guests at the Setai paid up to $60,000 per table to dine on Peking duck salad and roasted tenderloin by the poolside. Actor Dylan McDermott posed for pictures with guests before taking the stage to introduce Hudson as "one of the most talented people on the planet."

Wearing a bright red Donna Karan sleeveless dress and more than $150,000 in jewelry specially designed by Rosalina Lydster, Hudson, 26, received an enthusiastic welcome from the crowd as she sang hits from Dreamgirls as well as "Happy Place," a song from her upcoming album.

Despite Hudson's banner year in 2007, she believes 2008 will be even better for her. "I get to sing this year," she says. "I love acting and I hope I don't ever have to choose between acting and singing, but singing is what I worked 17 years to do. That's what I dreamed of. And I get to do it this year."

Hudson, who also appears in the upcoming big-screen version of Sex and the City, adds: "I still don't exactly believe everything that has happened to me. Every day, it's like 'Thank you God.'"

PEOPLE

Katharine McPhee voted off by RCA

Friday, January 11th 2008, 4:00 AM

Has the star-making machinery of "American Idol" grown rusty?

RCA Records just confirmed that it's dropped fifth-season runnerup (from 2006) Katharine McPhee.

The adorable songbird is the latest "AI" finalist to be ejected from the BMG nest - following Season 2's Ruben Studdard and Season 5's Taylor Hicks.

McPhee's first CD entered the charts at No. 2 in February 2007, but failed to go gold. Her defenders grouse that RCA didn't give her the time or promotion she needed.

"Winning 'American Idol' is no longer a guarantee that you're going to make it," says one industry source. "Katharine was hot for a few months. But audiences are fickle."

But one top BMG exec insists: "It's preposterous to say this franchise has lost its luster. It's the envy of the music industry. We've sold over 50 million albums by 'AI' artists since the show started.

"We put millions behind Katharine. Many of us at the label still love her songs. But we're in the major leagues. We didn't think she could break into the mainstream. We would rather be honest." (McPhee is talking with another label and is due to star in the movie "I Know What Boys Like.")

The exec noted that Studdard put out three albums, "but there comes a time when we have to recognize the market for adult-oriented albums is tough. We allowed him to be a free agent, to make the record he wanted to make.

"The same thing with Taylor Hicks. We didn't want to shove any songs down his throat. We wanted to make an album in the style he was comfortable with. We mutually agreed that he'd work on an album [on his own], we'd listen, and we'd see where we go from there. There's no acrimony."

The BMG group still counts eight "AI" contenders on its roster, including Carrie Underwood and Chris Daughtry (both of whom delivered top 10 albums in 2007), Blake Lewis (with one album), Fantasia (with three), Jordin Sparks (working on her second), and Clay Aiken and Kelly Clarkson (both working on their fourth albums).

And though she was signed nearly three years ago, execs at BMG's Arista label are still looking forward to Jennifer Hudson's album, due out in May or June.

"We understood that her appearance in 'Dreamgirls' would only make her a bigger star," says the exec. (Indeed, it won her an Oscar.) "We are always willing to be patient with people who have the goods."

'Sex and the City' movie soundtrack features Fergie, Jennifer Hudson

The details of May 30’s Sex and the City: The Movie have been guarded as zealously as Carrie Bradshaw might seek out a private Manolo Blahnik sale. But director Michael Patrick King is starting to spill. He tells EW that Fergie just recorded the film’s opening number. “It’s called ‘Labels & Love,’ ” he says. “It’s an entirely new song with lyrics, but it has the Sex and the City theme as the DNA — on steroids.”

According to King, the singer feared she’d be too busy with two new singles to record the tune. But when New Line (which is releasing Sex) showed her the film, she changed her mind. And since this is a film about mouthy divas, Jennifer Hudson, who plays Carrie’s assistant, will lend her pipes to the ballad “All Dressed Up in Love” — written by MC Jack Splash and Gnarls Barkley’s Cee-Lo — which plays during the end credits. “She sings it like nobody’s business,” says King. Just as we’d expect.

Katharine McPhee voted off by RCA

Friday, January 11th 2008, 4:00 AM

Has the star-making machinery of "American Idol" grown rusty?

RCA Records just confirmed that it's dropped fifth-season runnerup (from 2006) Katharine McPhee.

The adorable songbird is the latest "AI" finalist to be ejected from the BMG nest - following Season 2's Ruben Studdard and Season 5's Taylor Hicks.

McPhee's first CD entered the charts at No. 2 in February 2007, but failed to go gold. Her defenders grouse that RCA didn't give her the time or promotion she needed.

"Winning 'American Idol' is no longer a guarantee that you're going to make it," says one industry source. "Katharine was hot for a few months. But audiences are fickle."

But one top BMG exec insists: "It's preposterous to say this franchise has lost its luster. It's the envy of the music industry. We've sold over 50 million albums by 'AI' artists since the show started.

"We put millions behind Katharine. Many of us at the label still love her songs. But we're in the major leagues. We didn't think she could break into the mainstream. We would rather be honest." (McPhee is talking with another label and is due to star in the movie "I Know What Boys Like.")

The exec noted that Studdard put out three albums, "but there comes a time when we have to recognize the market for adult-oriented albums is tough. We allowed him to be a free agent, to make the record he wanted to make.

"The same thing with Taylor Hicks. We didn't want to shove any songs down his throat. We wanted to make an album in the style he was comfortable with. We mutually agreed that he'd work on an album [on his own], we'd listen, and we'd see where we go from there. There's no acrimony."

The BMG group still counts eight "AI" contenders on its roster, including Carrie Underwood and Chris Daughtry (both of whom delivered top 10 albums in 2007), Blake Lewis (with one album), Fantasia (with three), Jordin Sparks (working on her second), and Clay Aiken and Kelly Clarkson (both working on their fourth albums).

And though she was signed nearly three years ago, execs at BMG's Arista label are still looking forward to Jennifer Hudson's album, due out in May or June.

"We understood that her appearance in 'Dreamgirls' would only make her a bigger star," says the exec. (Indeed, it won her an Oscar.) "We are always willing to be patient with people who have the goods."

Hmmm. All those horrible AI singers are losing their contracts, and Nikki Sixx just became president of a record company. Am I sensing a change in the air? Is it possible that the recording industry is finally tired of losing money by going after talentless but supposedly marketable acts? Is it finally time for the downfall of the music industry yuppies? It's too much to hope for really. But these recent developments are making me slightly optimistic.

Hudson Records Gnarls Barkley Track For Sex Film

Oscar winner JENNIFER HUDSON has recorded a new tune for the SEX + THE CITY soundtrack, penned by GNARLS BARKLEY star CEE-LO GREEN.

Hudson, who also stars in the film as a romantic assistant to Sarah Jessica Parker's character Carrie Bradshaw, sings All Dressed in Love, which plays over the film's end credits.

Sex + The City writer/director Michael Patrick King says, "Jennifer makes it almost impossible not to dance out of the theatre."

Source: contactmusic

Obama asks Jennifer Hudson to sing anthem

Former ‘Idol’ contestant and Oscar winner to perform in Denver Thursday

Access Hollywood

LOS ANGELES - Oscar winner and former “American Idol” contestant Jennifer Hudson will sing at the Democratic National Convention at the request of Barack Obama.

Access Hollywood has learned exclusively that Obama asked the singer to perform the National Anthem Thursday night in Denver when he formally accepts the party’s nomination.

An appearance at the convention is one of the many things keeping Hudson busy. She will release her self-titled debut album, “Jennifer Hudson,” on Sept. 30, followed by the release of her new film, “The Secret Life of Bees,” opposite Queen Latifah, Alicia Keys and Dakota Fanning on Oct. 17.

Copyright 2008 by NBC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I had wondered what had happened to her... :blink:

Jennifer Hudson's Mother Found Dead

Posted Oct 24th 2008 5:47PM by TMZ Staff

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ Jennifer Hudson's mother was one of two victims shot and killed in Chicago earlier today.

A neighbor tells TMZ the other victim was Jennifer's brother Jason. A cousin who lived nearby discovered the bodies.

We're told the two bodies were found dead on the scene at 2:44 PM. When the fire department arrived and discovered the bodies, police were brought in and the home was declared a crime scene.

A call to Hudson's rep was not immediately returned.

UPDATE 6:40 PM: An all points bulletin has been issued for a boy, believed to be Hudson's 7-year-old nephew (pictured below), who may have been taken from the scene. Police are looking for 1994 white Suburban with the license plate X584859.

Jennifer Hudson's Mother Found Dead

Posted Oct 24th 2008 5:47PM by TMZ Staff

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ Jennifer Hudson's mother was one of two victims shot and killed in Chicago earlier today.

A neighbor tells TMZ the other victim was Jennifer's brother Jason. A cousin who lived nearby discovered the bodies.

We're told the two bodies were found dead on the scene at 2:44 PM. When the fire department arrived and discovered the bodies, police were brought in and the home was declared a crime scene.

A call to Hudson's rep was not immediately returned.

UPDATE 6:40 PM: An all points bulletin has been issued for a boy, believed to be Hudson's 7-year-old nephew (pictured below), who may have been taken from the scene. Police are looking for 1994 white Suburban with the license plate X584859.

Oh my goodness, that's horrible. How sad for her and her family.

BREAKING NEWS: Report: Jennifer Hudson's Mother, Brother Shot to Death

Friday October 24, 2008

Jennifer Hudson and her mother Darnell at the Dreamgirls premiere on Dec. 4, 2006 at the Ziegfeld Theater in New York.

Jim Spellman/WireImage.com

Buzz up!Jennifer Hudson's mother and brother were found shot to death in her Chicago home Friday afternoon, according to reports.

A representative from Hudson family's church, Pleasant Gift Missionary Baptist, confirms to the Chicago Sun-Times that Hudson's mother, Darnell Hudson, 57, was murdered. TMZ.com confirms Hudson's brother, Jason, was also a victim.

"Officers responded to a call of two people found unresponsive," Chicago Police Department spokesman John Mirabelli tells Usmagazine.com. "They discovered a male and a female that had sustained fatal gunshot wounds.

"Right now, our investigation is a double homicide," the spokesman tells Us. "We understand family members are on the scene."

Officer Mirabelli would not confirm details of the shooting, but TMZ.com reports a cousin who lives nearby discovered the bodies.

Police spokeswoman Monique Bond said the deaths appeared to be the result of domestic abuse, the Associated Press reported.

The police said they issued an Amber Alert for 7-year-old Julian King who may have been abducted by William Balfour, a suspect who is considered armed and dangerous.

Balfour may be driving a white 1994 Chevrolet Suburban with Illinois license plate No. X584859 or a teal/green Chrysler Concord four-door with a left front headlight hanging out that is scratched all along its left side. The Chrysler is displaying temporary tags of 332K823, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Hudson has been outspoken about how close she is with her family.

Hudson praises her mother and brother in the liner notes of her self-titled debut album (released September 30).

After thanking God, Hudson writes: “Next, of course, is u my mommy DARNELL AKA DOLL...thank u for instilling in me that I could do anything I put my mind to and teaching me to always put God first. Thank you for loving me no matter what.”

Then, “To the original JHUD’s, my big bro and sis JASON and JULIA, I love you so much. Thank you both for rooting me on and supporting me like nobody else. Also for believing in me and never letting me settle for just ok but the best. Because of u, I don’t believe in limits. LIL’ JULIAN KING my lil’ nephew, I love u, baby.”

Neighbor Angela Russell describes Darnell as a woman who had barbecues at her home and invite everyone over.

"She was very kind and very social," Russell tells Usmagazine.com. "She was extremely proud of her daughter but she didn’t let it go to her head. She refused to move out of the neighborhood, she wanted to stay here, this was her home."

Oh, man. This is so awful. Can't imagine finding out that my mom & brother had been shot to death in their own home and that my nephew was missing. What a world. No doubt, the Hudson Family's steadfast faith in God's eternal promise will be their bedrock.

UPDATE III:

Jennifer Hudson's brother-in-law, William Balfour, was arrested by police. JHud's nephew Julian is still missing. William isn't cooperating with police or giving any kind of information. They believe William kidnapped Julian from the home after the murders. Police are still looking for Julian.

William has a long, long criminal history. He has served 7 years in prison for attempted murder.

Neighbors are saying that William and Julia had been fighting for the past two weeks over a car. They say William sold her car without her permission.

and from TMZ

Chicago PD Pursuing Car Dispute Theory

Posted Oct 25th 2008 11:00AM by TMZ Staff

Law enforcement sources now tell TMZ they are indeed looking into what appears to be a dispute over a car in the investigation of the murders of Jennifer Hudson's mother and brother.

As we reported below, Julia, the estranged wife of suspect William Balfour, complained that Balfour wrongfully sold a car, causing her to hitch a ride with brother Jason, one of the victims.

Several neighbors last night talked about a recent dispute over stealing a car, in which an unnamed family member promised "revenge."

TMZ has spoken with several other neighbors this morning who say Julia complained to them that William Balfour sold one of their cars without permission. One neighbor told TMZ the dispute got so heated William threatened to "kill Julia's family" but she didn't report it because she didn't take it seriously.

As for the dispute over the car being the trigger, our sources say cops are pursuing the lead but are looking at everything.

And our law enforcement sources say people other than Balfour have been interviewed as well.

Mysteries and Twists in Hudson Murders

Posted Oct 25th 2008 9:58AM by TMZ Staff

The 7-year-old nephew of Jennifer Hudson is still missing. The suspect in the murders of her mother and brother is in custody. And there are several interesting twists.

William Balfour, the estranged husband of Hudson's sister, Julia, is in custody but isn't talking. In a cryptic statement, a Chicago PD spokeswoman said investigators are talking to :blink: "a number of people in custody." She didn't explain further. :blink:

Cops say at least one of the victims had defensive wounds, which led them to believe the shootings involved domestic violence.

Here's the most interesting thing -- neighbors in the area who know the family well say a few weeks ago a family member tried stealing a car, which triggered a heated argument in which the would-be thief promised revenge. No one was named specifically, but Balfour spent nearly 7 years in prison for attempted murder, vehicular hijacking and possession of a stolen vehicle.

On Julia's MySpace page, recently posted a picture of Jason (one of the victims) in a vehicle. The caption below reads, "Jason picking up my ass from work, cause William bitch ass sold my car."

Edited by taco

I know the little boy is missing but where is the sister, Julia? I haven't heard that she has said anything or been interviewed by the police. I wonder if she is with the boy?

Has anyone seen anything that indicates Julia has spoken with the police or media--or that they even know where she is right now?

Jennifer Hudson's sister pleads for son's return

CHICAGO – The older sister of Jennifer Hudson has made a plea at a Chicago church for the return of her missing 7-year-old son.

Julia Hudson made the plea Saturday for her son Julian King. He was reported missing Friday from the family's home. The mother and brother of the sisters were found shot to death the same day in the home.

Thirty-one-year-old Julia Hudson says that her famous sister flew to Chicago after learning the news. It wasn't clear whether the Oscar-winning actress and singer was at the church.

Julia Hudson spoke from the podium at Pleasant Gift Missionary Baptist Church alongside the boy's father, Greg King. She says her son "doesn't deserve this."

Authorities reportedly have a suspect in custody. No one has been charged.

CHICAGO (AP) — It was the cradle of her greatest triumphs. It's now the scene of her darkest hour. Oscar-winning actress Jennifer Hudson has often credited her rise to fame to her upbringing in the impoverished neighborhood on Chicago's South Side where she went to grade school and sang in church.

But on Saturday, her family struggled to come to terms with the shooting deaths of Hudson's mother and brother in Englewood, while praying for the safe return of Hudson's missing 7-year-old nephew.

Authorities reportedly had in custody a suspect with ties to the family, but no one had been charged with wrongdoing Saturday.

The Hudsons, who insisted on not allowing 27-year-old Jennifer's fame to alter their lives, lived in a three-story white house bookended by vacant lots. A grill and bottle of mustard stood on the lawn on Saturday, remnants of the barbecues they were known to throw on birthdays and holidays.

"They wouldn't turn anyone away," said Bob Israel, who lives in the neighborhood. "They didn't want to change a bit."

An autopsy Saturday showed Darnell Donerson, 57, and Jason Hudson, 29, died of gunshot wounds, according to the Cook County medical examiner's office. Their deaths were ruled homicides.

Police said a family member entering Donerson's South Side home Friday found a woman's body on the living room floor. Officers later found Hudson shot in the bedroom. At least one of the victims suffered defensive wounds, said authorities, who described the shooting as domestic violence.

That same day, Julia Hudson, Jennifer Hudson's sister, reported her son Julian King missing.

William Balfour, a man suspected in the deaths and named in an Amber Alert issued Friday, was arrested Friday but had not been charged, law enforcement sources told the Chicago Tribune and Chicago Sun-Times.

Bond, who declined to comment Saturday on a suspect, said no one had been charged. She has said that investigators were talking to "a number of people in custody."

On Saturday, neighbors and friends gathered outside the Hudson home and planned to scour the neighborhood to look for the child.

"We need to find that kid by sundown," said Ziff Sistrunk, a friend of the Hudson family.

Police spokeswoman Monique Bond said the FBI had been called to help in the search for the boy on "the possibility or any theory that he could have been take across state lines." But she added, "We have nothing to prove that."

Records from the Illinois Department of Corrections show Balfour, 27, is on parole and spent nearly seven years in prison for attempted murder, vehicular hijacking and possessing a stolen vehicle. Public records show one of Balfour's addresses as the home where Donerson and Jason Hudson were shot.

Balfour's mother, Michele Balfour, said that her son had been married to Hudson's sister, Julia Hudson, for several years, but that they were separated. She also said Donerson had ordered him to move out of the home last winter.

Michele Balfour told reporters that she offered her condolences to the family and denied her son had any involvement.

"All I want is for my son to come home," she said.

Jennifer Hudson's personal publicist, Lisa Kasteler, did not disclose the actress' whereabouts Friday or Saturday. She said the family wanted privacy and did not return messages seeking comment.

Hudson, who won an Academy Award for best supporting actress in 2007 for her role in "Dreamgirls," talked of the influence of her family often.

In a recent AP interview she said her family helped keep her grounded because her fame hasn't changed them.

"My faith in God and my family, they're very realistic and very normal, they're not into the whole limelight kind of thing, so when I go home to Chicago that's just another place that's home," she said. "I stand in line with everybody else, or, when I go home to my mom I'm just Jennifer."

Neighbors, including Dana Thomson, whose daughter worked at Burger King with Jennifer and Julia Hudson, echoed the sentiment.

"The mother didn't want to move. She was not accustomed to it," Thomson said. "She knew everybody here."

The tragedy comes as Jennifer Hudson's star continues to rise. Her song "Spotlight" is No. 1 on Billboard's Hot R&B/Hip-Hop charts and her recent self-titled debut album is selling well. She was featured in this year's blockbuster "Sex and the City" movie and also stars in the hit film "The Secret Life of Bees."

Body of child found - may be Julian King

October 27, 2008

FROM STNG WIRE REPORTS

The body of a male child was found Monday morning in a white suburban on the West Side, and authorities were investigating whether it was Julian King, the 7-year-old nephew of Oscar-winning actress Jennifer Hudson.

Officials from the Medical Examiner's Office have been called to the scene at 1313 S. Kolin Ave. after receiving a report of a black male child being found in an SUV.

» Click to enlarge image

The body of a boy was found in the 1300 block of South Kolin Ave. Authorities say the body could be that of 7-year-old Julian King.

(NBC5)

Julian went missing from the crime scene Friday where the bodies of the mother and brother of Academy Award-winning actress Jennifer Hudson were found in their home in the 7000 block of South Yale Avenue.

A white Chevrolet Suburban SUV was also found on the scene, according to media reports, police declined to comment on those reports as of 8:20 a.m.

About 3 p.m. Friday, the bodies of 57-year-old Darnell Donerson, Jennifer Hudson’s mother and 29-year-old Jason Hudson, her brother, were found at the 7000 block of South Yale, inside their home, police said. The shooting is believed to be domestic-related. Neighbors said they heard gunshots between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. Friday morning, authorities said.

A family member found the bodies. The mother was found on the living room floor; the brother was found in a bedroom. The crime didn’t appear to be a robbery, police said, and the door to the home was not locked when the family member arrived.

After the two bodies were found, missing from the crime scene was Donerson’s grandson, 7-year-old Julian, who was possibly taken from the house in the Englewood neighborhood, Chicago police said. He was in a white 1994 Chevrolet Suburban SUV with Illinois license plate X584859, police said.

Wentworth Area detectives are investigating.

www.suntimes.com

Body of child found - may be Julian King

October 27, 2008

FROM STNG WIRE REPORTS

The body of a male child was found Monday morning in a white suburban on the West Side, and authorities were investigating whether it was Julian King, the 7-year-old nephew of Oscar-winning actress Jennifer Hudson.

Officials from the Medical Examiner's Office have been called to the scene at 1313 S. Kolin Ave. after receiving a report of a black male child being found in an SUV.

» Click to enlarge image

The body of a boy was found in the 1300 block of South Kolin Ave. Authorities say the body could be that of 7-year-old Julian King.

(NBC5)

Julian went missing from the crime scene Friday where the bodies of the mother and brother of Academy Award-winning actress Jennifer Hudson were found in their home in the 7000 block of South Yale Avenue.

A white Chevrolet Suburban SUV was also found on the scene, according to media reports, police declined to comment on those reports as of 8:20 a.m.

About 3 p.m. Friday, the bodies of 57-year-old Darnell Donerson, Jennifer Hudson’s mother and 29-year-old Jason Hudson, her brother, were found at the 7000 block of South Yale, inside their home, police said. The shooting is believed to be domestic-related. Neighbors said they heard gunshots between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. Friday morning, authorities said.

A family member found the bodies. The mother was found on the living room floor; the brother was found in a bedroom. The crime didn’t appear to be a robbery, police said, and the door to the home was not locked when the family member arrived.

After the two bodies were found, missing from the crime scene was Donerson’s grandson, 7-year-old Julian, who was possibly taken from the house in the Englewood neighborhood, Chicago police said. He was in a white 1994 Chevrolet Suburban SUV with Illinois license plate X584859, police said.

Wentworth Area detectives are investigating.

www.suntimes.com

Wow, that's so sad; I don't normally support capital punishment, but this sicko needs to be removed from this planet. And over a car???

This is just AWFUL for Jennifer and her sister. I suspect that the brother-in-law was either psychotic or on drugs or both when all this went down.

FBI -- Closing in On ID'ing Body

Posted Oct 27th 2008 12:51PM by TMZ Staff

The FBI has now said the body discovered today in an SUV in Chicago is "believed to be" that of Julian King, Jennifer Hudson's 7-year-old nephew.

Chicago cops have not yet commented.

It is worth noting -- the Amber Alert for Julian has been called off.