Sign in to follow this  
princess

Robert Downey Jr.

people.com

ENGAGED: Robert Downey Jr., 38, proposed last weekend to the producer of his movie "Gothika," Susan Levin, who wore her engagement ring to the Nov. 10 London premiere of his "The Singing Detective," PEOPLE reports in its latest issue. No wedding date has been announced. Downey's divorce from actress Deborah Falconer, with whom he has a son, Indio, 10, is not yet final.

Downey Gets Tattoo of Himself

Fri, Feb 13, 2004, 09:02 AM PT

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - It's a classic mistake. If you tattoo your lover's name on your body, you're guaranteed to break up.

Finding a clever loophole in the practice, actor Robert Downey Jr. is confidently sporting an image of his current object of affection -- himself.

The 38-year-old star has adorned his left bicep with a muscular, superhero version of himself, reports US Magazine. He reportedly went to West Hollywood's Shamrock Social Club tattoo parlor in January for his portrait.

Downey also has the name of his son, Indio, inked nearby the new tattoo.

The actor met his real love interest and fiancee, producer Susan Levin, on the Montreal set of his most recent movie, the dark thriller "Gothika" with Halle Berry.

Downey has been married once before to actress Deborah Falconer.

[Zap2It.com gossip

Now that she's happily married to Matthew Broderick, Sarah Jessica Parker finally gave the scoop on why she ended her seven year relationship to Robert Downey Jr. more than a decade ago -- and, sadly, the answer won't surprise anyone. Drugs were the reason why the "Sex and the City" star dumped Downey in 1991, she says. "I loved him and he loved me," she tells the Globe. "Yet I spent so much time worrying about him that, eventually, I knew it was no longer doing either of us much good and I couldn't actually save him from his massive drug problems that got worse when I left." Downey, who is now engaged to Susan Levin, has reportedly been drug-free for the past 20 months.

]

Zap2It.com gossipWHO KNEW ...-- that Val Kilmer wanted to throw Robert Downey Jr. a big birthday bash? However, when Robert learned of the plans he begged Val to trim down the 100-plus guest list saying he didn't want to risk falling back into bad habits. Instead, Val hosted a quiet dinner party for his friend, according to the National Enquirer.

EOnline.com

OFFICIALLY OVER: Robert Downey Jr. and his ex, Deborah Falconer, filing for divorce in Los Angeles County Superior Court on April 26 to clear the way for his remarriage to fiance, producer Susan Levin, reports Extra.

popbitch.comRobert Downey used to drive naked through LA in hisPorsche trying to throw imaginary rats out of the car. Who says cocaine isn't good for you? :o

Robert Downey Jr.'s Debut Album Drops

Fri, Nov 26, 2004, 12:11 AM PT

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Robert Downey Jr. has overcome numerous challenges in life, whether they're intriguing movie roles or personal struggles with drug abuse.

His latest test has been translating his musical talent into his first full-length pop album entitled "The Futurist," which hit stores on Tuesday, Nov. 23, reports the AP.

On his debut album, Downey composes six pop ballads, in which he sings and plays piano, and collaborates on two more. He also covers "Your Move" by Yes and the Charlie Chaplin song "Smile," which he previously recorded for the "Chaplin" soundtrack.

Oscar nominee Downey admits that singing for his supper is more difficult than acting.

"Because it's so autonomous, you know?" he says. "I can't say, 'My God! I've got this director who didn't know what he was doing.' Or, 'God! Can you believe those words I had to say? This guy who wrote those things is a real hack.'"

Despite the pressures of recording, the actor points out that the benefits far outweigh his efforts.

"Music is great therapy," he says. "It really is. I don't know anyone who isn't in the midst of some transition, or whether it's positive or negative, and you'll see they'll start gravitating toward new stuff or certain old stuff that's resonating for them."

Downey's die-hard fans are already familiar with his musical talent. He has performed and even composed a number of songs for his films, including "Heart and Souls," "Two Girls and a Guy," "Friends and Lovers," "The Pick-Up Artist" and "The Singing Detective."

He has also performed on "Ally McBeal" with Vonda Shepard and with Sting at a Los Angeles benefit concert.

Downey was nominated for an Oscar for his leading role in 1992's "Chaplin." He next stars opposite Val Kilmer in the thriller "Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang," which will be released in 2005.

EOnline.com DOWNEY'S "I DO": On Tuesday's episode of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, Ellen tried helping guest Robert Downey Jr. and fiance Susan Levin pick their wedding date, bringing out an astrological chart suggesting sometime between August 11 and 22. The actor told her, "that's a done deal."

people.com "... So at one point, we're in the room together by ourselves, and he turns to me and he goes, 'So you want to make out?' And I was like, 'No.' "-- Robert Downey Jr.'s finacee, Susan Levin, to Oprah, about the actor's first advances toward her

Robert Downey Jr. Marries Girlfriend

Saturday Aug 27, 2005 6:00pm EST

By Katy Hall

people.com

Posted Image

Robert Downey Jr.

CREDIT: GREGORY PACE / FILMMAGIC

Robert Downey, Jr., married his longtime girlfriend Susan Levin on Saturday, PEOPLE has confirmed.

The wedding began at 6 p.m. in the Long Island, New York, town of Amagansett. The ceremony took place under a gazebo built for the occasion, with guests sitting on white benches.

The reception was to follow at the same location, with tables decorated in red and gold and topped with exotic greenery instead of flowers.

Sting is expected to perform, along with Billy Joel.

Earlier Saturday afternoon, Downey did a 30-minute Kung Fu session, then went for a swim with his son, Indio. "He really blew off a lot of steam," says a friend.

At lunch, Downey didn’t eat much. "He just drank a lot of water," adds the friend. "He was too nervous."

The rehearsal dinner Friday night was held at the East Hampton Point Restaurant, hosted by Levin’s parents. Guests included Sarah Jessica Parker and Robert Downey, Sr.

Downey, 40, and Levin, 31, met in 2002 on the set of Gothika, the psychological thriller he made with Halle Barry, which Levin coproduced.

The couple were engaged in November 2003 when Downey presented Levin with an engagement ring made of diamonds and a rare African sapphire.

Downey – who has starred in more than 50 films including Less Than Zero, Chaplin and Wonder Boys – has a reputation as a talented but troubled actor. In June 1996 he was pulled over for speeding, and police found heroin, crack and an unloaded gun in his car. He spent the next six years in and out of prison and rehab.

Downey, who has an 11-year-old son, Indio, with ex-wife Deborah Falconer, however, has turned his life around, and has been sober since meeting Levine.

"She's been very firm that if he's going to be with her, he has to really toe the line, and he's done that," Gothika producer Joel Silver told PEOPLE in 2003.

It's a sentiment Downey Jr. shares – with his characteristic flair: She "has got me in a freakin' choke chain," he told PEOPLE at the time, "and I love it."

(IMDB.COM)Downey Jr. Felt Like a Drowning MouseFormer Hollywood badboy Robert Downey, Jr. has likened his struggle with alcohol and drug addiction to being a mouse drowning in a fish-tank. The Chaplin star is celebrating 12 months of sobriety after years of substance abuse, two stints in jail and a shattered public image, but will never forget the feeling of helplessness he experienced during his troubled years. He says, "So why can't I get out of my way? It's because you come to believe that it's a hopeless situation. It's like you take a mouse, and you put him in a fish-tank and fill it with water. The mouse swims to survive but sooner or later he gets tired and falls to the bottom. You do that 20 times, and eventually the mouse just falls straight to the bottom. He's thinking, 'To hell with it - I don't want to swim for 10 minutes, it doesn't matter, I'm falling anyway.' And that's what it's been like for me."

Any idea how he got the black eye?? BobbyD, did you run into him at the gym again and he gave you "that" look?? I know you're really waiting for Toothy, lol! :D

La Dolce Musto

by Michael Musto

July 10th, 2006 5:32 PM

Posted Image

Two ROBERT DOWNEY JR. movies in one night dealing with dead American authors who specialized in the horrors of drug abuse? Five more and this could be a trend!

First came the Pioneer Theater screening of Hubert Selby Jr.: It'll Be Better Tomorrow, a doc addressing the lifelong quirks of the Requiem for a Dream author, as Downey narrates with out-of-character observations about Selby's "magnanimous spirit" and the fact that "he did not die rich, though he lived a rich life." I'd rather die rich.

The actor proved to be way less greeting-card-ready at the Film Society of Lincoln Center screening of A Scanner Darkly, the rotoscoped romp based on Philip K. Dick's mildly autobiographical novel about a narc bizarrely investigating himself. The movie's a pisser, though I'm guessing it's an anti-drug film that'll send many a college student back to the bong (and maybe a few of its co-stars too).

The panel discussion after the screening was every bit as amusingly surreal as the flick, with Downey serving a pound of snark for every ounce of KEANU REEVES's cute earnestness. "I still don't get that he's Bob and then he's Fred—or is he fuckin' Bruce?" Downey remarked about Keanu's triple-threat character. "It's all three," informed Dick's daughter, ISA HACKETT, who seemed totally lucid. "But who was he when he was married?" asked Reeves, seizing the chance to learn some more. "Philip K. Dick!" said the daughter, by which point I was looking for my bong.

Audience members kept asking banal questions about the animation process, and director Richard Linklater politely responded that he doesn't know how anyone can sit at a computer for 12 hours without grabbing a shotgun, "but it's an interesting tool." So's a shotgun. Interesting tool Downey noted that "the missus" told him the film reminds her more of him than some of his live-action characters do. Well, he's certainly animated. With eyes flaring, he gleefully bitched about the Texas house they shot in, moaning, "It was condemnable." ("And smelly," interjected Keanu—or Bob or Fred or fuckin' Bruce—getting into the fun.) But the panel froze when they noticed—no, not ETHAN HAWKE strangely running for the exit, but a woman in the audience wearing a shirt that ominously said, "Explanation Kills Art." "As she's shutterbugging the hell out of us, by the way," sardonicized Downey. "Love you," he added, to the woman. "Can't explain why."

---

I have an odd attraction to him that I just can't explain... but the way he mocked the woman in the audience only makes me like him more...

Edited by Cutielb99

"It's work-death syndrome!" ROBERT DOWNEY JR. has joked about his hectic schedule. The actor, who stays fit with yoga and martial arts, gave his thumb a workout on a beach trip with son Indio, 12, in Miami on July 11.

Posted Image

Ain't-It-Cool-News reports that Robert Downey Jr. has been cast to play Iron Man for director Jon Favreau at Marvel Studios! The movie will be distributed by Paramount Pictures on May 2, 2008.

Based upon Marvel's iconic Super Hero, the film will follow billionaire weapons-manufacturer, Tony Stark (Downey Jr.), who confronts the sins of his past after he is injured by one of his own weapons. Equipped with a high-tech suit of armor, he becomes Iron Man to combat evil on a global scale.

Robert Downey Jr. -- I am "Iron Man"

Robert Downey, Jr. is suiting up to star in "Iron Man," a superhero movie based on the Marvel Comics character.

Jon Favreau is directing the Paramount Pictures release. Filming is slated to begin in February in Los Angeles.

Downey will portray Tony Stark, a billionaire industrialist and genius inventor who is kidnapped and forced to build a devastating weapon. Using his intelligence and ingenuity, Stark instead builds a high-tech suit of armor and escapes captivity. Upon his return to the U.S., he uncovers a plot with global implications and must don his armor and protect the world.

The comic debuted in the 1960s, and Iron Man's origin involved Stark being a prisoner of the Viet Cong. The movie version will be set in today's geopolitical climate.

Budgeted at more than $100 million, it marks the first feature film to be produced independently by Marvel Entertainment, which previously licensed its characters, such as "Spider-Man" and "X-Men," to other studios.

Marvel president of production Kevin Feige said the filmmakers looked for the best actor to embody the character.

"The Marvel characters are not just about how high they jump or how fast they fly, they're about their character flaws," Feige said. "They're about their inner demons. They're about the struggles that they go through between being a man and being a hero."

Downey, who has battled his fair share of inner demons, worked hard to get the role, getting in shape and even growing a goatee like the one Stark sports in the comic books.

"In every casting announcement we've done, people in their mind's eye have their own view of it and let us know about it. We're used to it," Feige said. "The point is, we looked at everybody, and we found the best person for the role. It's as confident a casting move as we've ever done. The proof will be in the pudding, but he is Tony Stark."

Downey returns to theaters on November 10 in the Diane Arbus bipic "Fur" opposite Nicole Kidman.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Well, it's amazing that he's been sober for 12 months. That is a huge accomplishment and I tip my hat to him.

Downey Jr. takes his turn as superhero

LOS ANGELES -- Robert Downey Jr. will star as the latest Marvel Comics superhero to hit the big screen.

Downey will play the title character in "Iron Man," a film directed by Jon Favreau. Filming is scheduled to begin in February, with the movie due in theaters in May 2008.

It will be the first feature film produced independently by Marvel Entertainment.

"Iron Man" is the story of billionaire industrialist and inventor Tony Stark, who is kidnapped and forced to build a devastating weapon. Instead, he builds a high-tech suit of armor and escapes, vowing to protect the world as a superhero.

Downey most recently starred in Richard Linklater's adaptation of Philip K. Dick's "A Scanner Darkly" and can be seen in "A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints."

Howard to Take Hefty Dose of 'Iron Man'

Actor to play superhero's chum

After playing the villainous Trumpy in "Idlewild," Terrence Howard will take on a more amiable role in "Iron Man."

The Oscar nominee has joined the comic book film to play the best friend of the titular superhero, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Jim "Rhodey" Rhodes (Howard) is the best friend of billionaire Tony Stark (Robert Downey, Jr.) who develops a powerful suit of armor and uses it for his vigilante ways. The story was original set during the Vietnam War era, which is when Stark was supposed to have saved Rhodey after his helicopter was shot down by the Viet Cong. Since the film is set in contemporary times, this story will likely have to change.

Fans familiar with the comics will also recall that there was more in the cards for Rhodey than just being Stark's friend. Rhodey also at one point donned the armored suit and eventually got one of his own called the War Machine that Stark also invented. There's no indication how involved Rhodey will be in the new film.

"Elf" helmer Jon Favreau will direct and plans to begin production in February, with a projected May 2, 2008 release date.

Howard, 37, has several other irons in the fire right now. Currently he's filming "Spring Break in Bosnia" with Richard Gere and recently wrapped shooting on "The Brave One" with Jodie Foster. His other films include "The Best Man," "Crash," "Hustle & Flow," "Four Brothers," "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" and the upcoming "Pride" and "August Rush."

ART APPRECIATION

[On Monday], Uncle Jake surrounds himself with BFF Lance Armstrong and new amigo Robert Downey Jr. at the Americans For The Arts' National Arts Awards, where Gyllenhaal was honored with the Young Artist Award for Artistic Excellence.

Posted Image