princess

Johnny Depp

Life's sweet for Johnny Depp By JIM SLOTEK -- Toronto Sun NASSAU, Bahamas -- Move over George Hamilton. Johnny Depp is dark. Mahogany dark, like a light-roast coffee bean in the sun. "What can I tell you? Three months on a boat," says the actor, who's in a nine-month-plus process of playing the ghost-pirate Capt. Jack in two consecutive sequels to Pirates Of The Caribbean in this ex-pirate sanctuary turned pina colada paradise. "I'm not using any sunblock at this point," says Depp, who actually owns a 35-acre island not far from Nassau. "You do when you start out, because the sun out here will really take a bite out of you if you don't. But I've sort of levelled off. I don't think I'll get any darker than this." What makes his complexion more dramatic is that he's doing interviews to talk about pal Tim Burton's predictably out-there Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, adapted from Roald Dahl's classic children's book. In it, Depp plays the weirded-out chocolatier Willy Wonka with a deathly pale face and a silly, scared, geeky, socially maladroit manner, accompanied by odd mannerisms like a hand over the mouth when he giggles. Kind of like, um ... well, Depp, Burton and the producers of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory aren't thrilled that some who've seen it feel the characterization evokes Michael Jackson. "It actually never crossed my mind. Michael Jackson was not an ingredient or inspiration to the character at all," Depp says. "A few people have mentioned it and it kind of took me by surprise. I can on some level understand it, the look a little bit may evoke that. But you could just as easily think of some reclusive germophobe like Howard Hughes as well. Roald Dahl wrote this character in 1964 and Michael Jackson was a wee lad then." Burton's response is to laugh derisively. "Here's the deal: Michael Jackson likes children, Willy Wonka can't stand them," the director says. "To me, that's a big difference in the whole persona, y'know?" What is obvious is that the dark-minded Burton and the challenge-minded Depp have again collaborated on a movie about a gifted misanthropic outsider -- a vibe that goes back to their first movie together, Edward Scissorhands. As those who've read the book, or seen the 1971 movie Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory (with Gene Wilder as Wonka) know, the story involves the announcement by the reclusive candyman to allow five children to tour his mysterious and reputedly magical factory. Said invitations are included, lottery-like, in random Wonka Bars shipped throughout the world. The hero of the story, Charlie Bucket (Freddie Highmore, who also played opposite Depp in Finding Neverland), is a poor lad who lives with his entire family in a one-room house and gets his invite in a bar he purchases with money he finds on the street. Charlie and the other kids -- a uniformly spoiled-rotten lot that includes Veruca Salt, Mike Teavee, Violet Beauregard and the porcine Augustus Gloop -- are led with media fanfare into a foundry that is part Fritz Lang industrial nightmare and part fantasyland (with a touch of 2001: A Space Odyssey), all dovetailing with Burton's love of pastel-hued heightened reality. There are marshmallow plants and cream-filled buttercups (actually edible according to Highmore, who sampled them) and a chocolate river that actually stank. There are trained attack squirrels. And there are the Oompa Loompas, all played (and digitally multiplied) by the small-sized actor Deep Roy. And there's Wonka himself, whose ulterior motive for inviting children into his world seems sinister on the surface, especially when they start falling prey to their own gluttony. "It's good fun playing characters like Wonka, Capt. Jack, Raoul Duke from Fear And Loathing (In Las Vegas), characters that can do things I would never dream of doing, or speak to people in a way that I would never bring myself to," Depp says. "The material was seductive, but the fact that Tim was doing it was the catalyst. He went out on a limb for me in 1990 with Edward Scissorhands. And that's something I will never forget. And over the years (in collaborations like Sleepy Hollow and Ed Wood) he's had to butt heads with studios to get me because I wasn't very popular with studios. So there's a bond and a love and respect that will be there forever. "And he also happens to be one of the most interesting filmmakers of all time, in my opinion." Of course, things have changed after the box office hit Pirates. These days Depp, who divides his time between his homes in L.A., France (where he lives with actress Vanessa Paradis and their children Lily-Rose and Jack), is a top-ranked draw and is being paid a reported $37 million for the two Pirates sequels. Says Burton: "This was the first time I didn't have to talk anybody into it. When I was offered this, before I could open my mouth, the studio goes, 'What about Johnny Depp?' And I go, 'Okay, if you're gonna force him on me.' " Both take pains to praise Wilder for his performance, although Burton makes it clear he doesn't think much of the original film (Dahl hated it. His widow has since seen Burton's version, and according to producer Richard Zanuck, "is thrilled by it." Wilder, on the other hand, recently told the Daily Telegraph, "It's all about money ... Why else would you remake Willy Wonka?" Both Burton and Depp tell almost identical stories about how the Wonka characterization came about, inspired by, according to Depp, "guys like Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Greenjeans and local guys like Uncle Al, and how odd it was the way they spoke, this bizarre musical rhythm and cadence to their speech pattern -- 'Good morning children ...' "I tested it on Lily-Rose to see if I was going in the right direction with the sound of this voice. A lot of times what happens is you come up with these ideas and you never get to try them until a read-through. So with Lily-Rose, I was talking to her one day. Many times we've played Barbies where she says, 'Daddy, don't use that voice.' And what happened was we were playing and I started to use the Wonka voice, and she kind of lit up a little bit, like, 'Where's that coming from?' And I thought, 'Awright, I think I'm on the right track here.' " He carried his experimentation to the filming. "The kids in the film, they were great. At first they weren't quite sure how to deal with (my ad libs), but they caught on and started enjoying it. I remember one time early on, I started speaking jive to Jordon (Fry), who played Mike Teavee. Like, 'It's in the fridge, daddy-o, are you hep to the jive?' And we're in rehearsal and I walked up to him and put my hand out and said, 'Slide me some skin, daddy-o.' And he tilted back at an angle, looking up at me and said, 'That's not in the script!' I just started laughing hysterically." Being in Cruise/Hanks territory is an odd place for Depp, an actor without a persona. "He's like a character actor in a leading man's body," Burton says. "He's more like Lon Chaney than a leading man. He likes to transform, play different characters in different movies. He's an actor that you'd think about perhaps even for female roles." Depp himself is fairly self-effacing about his look. Asked about this 43-year-old's appeal to young women, he says, "Gosh, I don't know. I think it's that they see some of my movies and feel sorry for me." Dressed down in jeans and a worn white cotton shirt, he says, "I remember when I was really, really young, 3 or 4, and my mom and dad dressed me up as a hobo for Halloween. And the only difference between what I looked like then and now is that they drew a little more beard than I'm able to grow." He's not overly serious about how he got where he is ("That's what the ride is for the moment, it'll always change"), but he seems serious about what to do with it. "My sister and I have this little company, we've made some recent acquisitions that are pretty exciting, some to be in and some to get made. We're very excited about the latest Nick Hornby novel, A Long Way Down. And there's this one by an Australian writer named Gregory David Roberts called Shantaram (about 10 years in the life of a drug-using armed robber on the run), which is a beautiful book. "I've been doing things that I've chosen to do for quite a good stretch now. And that small core group of people -- and I hate to use the word fans -- that small core who've stuck with me all these years, y'know, I feel good for them. Because great masses of people decided to watch Pirates Of The Caribbean, they don't have to hang their heads in shame. At least not so much."

Johnny Depp Wants Marriage Proposal July 13, 2005, 6:33:04 JOHNNY DEPP AWAITS PARADIS MARRIAGE PROPOSAL. Hollywood superstar JOHNNY DEPP is desperate to marry his long-term love VANESSA PARADIS - but he's waiting for her to make the all-important move. The 41-year-old FINDING NEVERLAND actor admits the pair, who have been together for seven years and have two children LILY-ROSE, six , JACK, three, are already as good as husband and wife, but insists the proposal has to come from her. He says, "For all intents and purposes we are married. We have two kids together and she is the woman in my life. "But if she ever said: 'Hey, let's get hitched,' I would do it in a second. "We'll do it if the kids want us to, or maybe when the kids are old enough to enjoy it with us.". But Depp has reservations about heading up the aisle with his girlfriend, because he'd hate to ruin her maiden name. He says, "It would be a shame to ruin her last name! It's so perfect - Vanessa Paradis. So beautiful. "It would be such a drag to stick her with Paradis-Depp. It's like a flat note."

But Depp has reservations about heading up the aisle with his girlfriend, because he'd hate to ruin her maiden name. He says, "It would be a shame to ruin her last name! It's so perfect - Vanessa Paradis. So beautiful. "It would be such a drag to stick her with Paradis-Depp. It's like a flat note."

I have several married female friends that never took their husband's name. Sorry Johnny.... lame excuse.

I had a double dose of Johnny yesterday...I finally watched him on Oprah (had it on DVR for weeks) and then saw him on Jay Leno. I think he'll be with Vanessa for a very long time whether they get married or not. They seem to be a really close couple/family. He's so beautiful to watch in interviews. I love that he's so humble but yet has this mischievous twinkle in his eye. :P I'll see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory this weekend, but what I'm really looking forward to is the Pirates sequels! :lol:

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/celebrity/51212004.htm

Johnny Depp's generous drinks round

July 19, 2005, 12:12:16

Johnny Depp shocked punters in a London pub by buying them all a drink. .

The actor - in the capital for the UK premiere of 'Charlie and the Chocolate

Factory' - bought a round for more than 50 members of the public when he

stopped into Waxy O' Connors for a drink.

An onlooker told Britain's Daily Star newspaper: "We were just enjoying a

pint and all of a sudden people started whispering they thought Johnny Depp

had just walked in "He spoke to his entourage and said this one was going to

be on him.

He also added the fact that he may be a Hollywood actor but he was a good

guy And with that he bought more than 50 people a drink".

Meanwhile, the star insists his two children with partner Vanessa Paradis

are nothing like the spoilt brats in his new movie.

The film, in which Depp plays sweet maker Willy Wonka, features five

children who visit Wonka's candy factory Four are brats who break the rules,

with only Charlie Buckett resisting the temptations of the delicious treats

Depp claims Lily-Rose Melody, six, and three-year-old Jack are well-behaved

just like Charlie

He said: "My children are not spoiled like these kids in the movie We're

very careful about that kind of thing I think they are both closer to

Charlie's character The kids are pretty well balanced, well grounded and not

monster-like at all"

I wonder if Kevin Federline will be half the dad Johnny Depp is?....probably not.....

I wonder if Kevin Federline will be half the dad Johnny Depp is?....probably not.....

That would be a big fat "no!". Let's not forget he already has two kids.

Posted Image

Johnny Depp arrives in Tokyo on Saturday to promote his movie Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The eccentric actor's next collaboration with his director, Tim Burton, is the animated fantasy The Corpse Bride, opening Sept 23.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050912/en_nm/...epp_dc;_ylt=A...

By Ka Yan Ng

Mon Sep 12, 9:45 AM ET

TORONTO (Reuters) - Johnny Depp, the chameleon-like actor who has

played so many different roles that he may not have a self, says he's

finally found a role he wants to stay in: the buccaneer Captain Jack

Sparrow.

Sequels frighten Depp, but he said the chance to reprise his role as

the suave Sparrow in the next two editions of "Pirates of the

Caribbean" was too delicious to pass up.

For an actor who has received far more critical praise than box office

success, it is not about the money.

"More than it having anything to do with money, or franchise, or

hopefully continued success, it actually had ... more to do with

selfishly being able to meet up with that character again," Depp said

in an interview at the Toronto Film Festival on Sunday.

He was in town to promote "Corpse Bride," an animated feature made by

his longtime friend, director Tim Burton.

Depp said he's often felt separation anxiety when he finishes a film,

notably after his breakthrough performance in "Edward Scissorhands,"

also directed by Burton.

But he said he developed a deep affinity with Jack Sparrow, a character

based on Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards. Depp was nominated

for a best actor Oscar for the role.

Depp had a sneaking suspicion he'd see Sparrow again after Pirates was

released in 2003, but never imagined he would be part of a franchise.

Two Pirates' sequels are filming in the Bahamas and are slated for

release in 2006 and 2007.

MANY ODD CHARACTERS

Over the years, Depp has played many odd characters like Hunter S.

Thompson in "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," the cocaine trafficker

George Jung in "Blow," and Peter Pan author J.M. Barrie in "Finding

Neverland."

"I've always considered myself very lucky to still be getting jobs

after all the weirdness I've put people through in terms of having to

watch my films," he said.

The critical acclaim didn't make him a bankable property though and

studios were nervous about using him.

"He's basically a great character actor in a leading man's body. He's

always kept that integrity. To me, it's something I find that's really

amazing in this business," said Burton, who has cast Depp in five

movies to date.

For years, Burton clashed with studio executives over casting Depp, but

with the actor's hilarious turn as Sparrow, the studios took notice and

actually asked Burton about Depp as a lead in summer 2005's "Charlie

and the Chocolate Factory."

Their latest collaboration, "Corpse Bride," is a stop-motion animation

film based on a Russian folk tale about unintentional unions between an

unfortunate man and a dead bride.

There will likely be more projects together, but where would Depp's

career be if not for Burton?

"I don't want to do anything to embarrass future generations of Depps

to come, but I don't know that I would have had this much luck or

success without a Tim Burton. I owe him a lot."

(IMDB.COM)Depp Laments Lost Richards Role Johnny Depp has missed out on the chance to star alongside Rolling Stone Keith Richards, because the rocker's schedule is too busy. The Charlie And The Chocolate Factory star had been looking forward to Richards making a cameo appearance as his dad in 2006's Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. But now the legendary guitarist, who was the inspiration behind Depp's alter-ego Jack Sparrow, is too busy with his band's world tour to take time out for acting. Depp says, "It doesn't look like it will happen now. Keith is on tour so it's hard to fit into the timeframe we're working to." Articles Copyright

(Zap2it.com)Depp Makes an Impression at Grauman'sMon, Sep 19, 2005, 09:09 AM PT LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Johnny Depp, who's all thumbs as a nervous groom in "Corpse Bride," used his hands to make an impression on Friday, Sept. 16. The Oscar-nominated actor joined the ranks of other celebrated stars who immortalized their hand- and footprints in cement at Grauman's Chinese Theatre, according to published reports. His partner, French actress Vanessa Paradis, was also on hand to witness the honor. "So this is weird," says Depp. "I mean, to say that this is overwhelming is probably the understatement of the millennium." Depp, 42, was last seen as the eccentric Willy Wonka in Tim Burton's take on "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." The ceremony took place on the same day as the limited release of Burton's "Corpse Bride," which will be released wide on Friday, Sept. 23. Depp voices the animated puppet Victor, who accidentally marries a dead woman, but pines for the live one he left behind aboveground. He will return to filming the sequels "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" and "Pirates of the Caribbean 3," and celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day by being himself. Arrgh!

Actor Depp gets Hollywood honour Johnny Depp has joined scores of other stars on the Forecourt Actor Johnny Depp's hand and footprints have been immortalised in concrete on Hollywood Boulevard. The Charlie and the Chocolate Factory star told hundreds of watching fans that it felt "weird" to be there. Depp's girlfriend, Vanessa Paradis, was at the ceremony at Grauman's Chinese Theatre with their two children. "To say that this is overwhelming is probably the understatement of the millennium," Depp said. He joined other luminaries, such as Sofia Loren and Tom Hanks, in the collection of Hollywood star prints on the Forecourt of the Stars in Los Angeles. The ceremony coincided with the release of Depp's latest film, the animated Corpse Bride, by Tim Burton. Depp is currently filming Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest and Pirates of the Caribbean 3.

Posted Image

Johnny Depp goes Jack Sparrow for the 2006 Disney Studios Showcase on Thursday at Hollywood's Kodak Theater, where he officially announced the upcoming release of the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Johnny Depp in drag?????? :D

Posted Image

(MSNBC.COM)Notes from all overJohnny Depp seems to be haunted by the cross-dressing character he played in “Ed Wood.” “Actually, I find myself constantly sneaking looks at women’s shoes and stockings,” the “Pirates of the Caribbean” star told More magazine. “I’ve developed this subconscious habit. It may be a little dangerous. I’m a little worried.” . . .

EOnline.comDRUG DEAL: Johnny Depp set to star in Shantaram, a fact-based tale of a heroin addict on the run, per the Hollywood Reporter.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Movies/Artists/D/Depp_...26/1279367.html

Johnny Depp eyes drug addict role

By JAM! Movies

Johnny Depp is in talks to star as a drug addict in the fact-based film

"Shantaram," Variety reports.

The movie, based on the novel by Gregory David Roberts, tells the story of

an Australian heroin addict convicted of robbery who flees to India, where

he reinvents himself as a doctor.

He eventually slips back into a life of crime, where he gets involved in

gunrunning and smuggling and winds up in Afghanistan, battling against

Russian troops.

Oscar-winning screenwriter Eric Roth ("Forrest Gump") has been hired to

adapt the film.

(IMDB.COM)Depp Defends MossJohnny Depp has slammed fashion bosses who dropped his former love Kate Moss, after pictures emerged of her snorting cocaine. The Charlie And The Chocolate Factory star is furious with executives at Chanel, Burberry and H&M, who all cancelled lucrative deals with the supermodel in the wake of the scandal, accusing them of victimizing the beauty. He says, "It was unbelievably unfair the way she was treated. She was dragged through the mud. She's not running for office and she ain't looking to be the next Messiah. I think Kate should live her life how she wants to. She's no dummy, man." And Depp admits he still has feelings for the British beauty: "She's a great girl and I care about her a great deal."

(NYMag.com)Johnny Depp: Suburbanite?Weston, ho!By Beth Landman Although Johnny Depp has been living mostly in France since 1998, the word on the quiet, tree-lined streets of tony, rural Weston, Connecticut, is that he’s discovered that some things function better back home. In 2003, Depp was quoted saying he didn’t want to raise his kids in the U.S.: “America is dumb, it’s like a dumb puppy . . . I’d like them [his children] to see America as a toy, a broken toy. Investigate it a little, check it out, get this feeling and then get out.” According to the town rumor mill, Weston’s top-ranked schools attracted Depp, his girlfriend, Vanessa Paradis, and their two kids into returning from their exile. He’s said to have paid close to $10 million for a big white traditional house on nine acres that he’s partly gutted and is doubling in size. Depp apparently fell in love with the town when he was visiting his friend Keith Richards, the inspiration for his campy, Oscar-nominated performance in Pirates of the Caribbean (Paul Newman and Christopher Walken also live in the area). Depp’s rep, Robin Baum, denied that he was becoming a suburbanite.

Depp: Kate's smart and a good mum By This is London 11 November 2005 Johnny Depp has spoken out in support of ex-girlfriend Kate Moss The actor said he was "appalled and shocked" at the reaction to pictures of the supermodel allegedly snorting cocaine. Depp, 42, dated Moss for four years until their split in 1998. He told GMTV: "The first thing that went through my mind was I was concerned for her, hoping that she was OK and that she and her baby were OK. "Number two was just being appalled and shocked at the kind of vicious attacks. "She's super sharp, really smart and got a great heart. She's a good mum and she just happens to be human and the press wouldn't allow that, and that's unforgivable." Moss, 31, recently left a US rehab clinic and was reunited with her three-year-old daughter Lila Grace. Her modelling career is back on track - she graces the cover of this month's Vanity Fair magazine and recently shot a new campaign for designer Roberto Cavalli. Fashion houses who distanced themselves from her during the cocaine scandal are now back on side. Burberry's creative director Christopher Bailey yesterday described Moss as "probably the best model in the world" and insisted: "Is Kate still a part of our family? Absolutely. "Yes, she has some issues that she probably needs to resolve, but don't we all?"

Rumor always was he was about to go back to Kate when Venessa got knocked up. Anyone know if it's true?

I read/saw on tv where that was denied. I hope he never goes back to her. I like him better with Vanessa. That recent comment he made about how he didn't give Kate the attention she needed makes me wonder. He said "we had a good thing" or something like that.

I would love to see a single Johnny in Hollywood these days, who would he date? Would he move back to LA? Granted I love him as nice family man, but part of me would love to see what single Johnny would so these days :D

I like Johnny Depp alot and I respect his right to live anywhere he wants to. I am also fascinated by Americans who bad mouth the USA and live elsewhere, but, when there is trouble abroad, where do they run to? They can't get on a plane back home fast enough. There is alot of trouble in France right now. Lots of political unrest. I'm sure you all are well read. So we'll see what happens.

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/celebrity/71482004.htm

Johnny Depp 'I Was A Drugs Dumb Ass'

November 12, 2005, 8:23:05

Hollywood superstar JOHNNY DEPP has no regrets about his wildman past, even

though he knows he would have spent the first two decades of his adulthood

more productively without drugs.

The PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN actor quit his "dumb-a*s" narcotic-fuelled

lifestyle prior to the birth of his daughter LILY six years ago (99).

The 42-year-old says, "There came a point where I'd just had enough. I think

it was the point in my life when I was about to become a father.

"Then my first child arrived and you have a slew of realisations. They

attack you. I had that moment where I thought, 'Oh, now I get it. Now I

understand what it's all about.'

"I realised I'd wasted a lot of years being a dumb-ass. But at the same time

it's what I went through and made me who I am."

Depp is living with French singer/actress VANESSA PARADIS. They have two

children, LILY and JACK.

The star has also urged his former lover KATE MOSS to win her battle with

drugs for the sake of her daughter LILA GRACE.

The CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY actor, who has two children with

longterm girlfriend VANESSA PARADIS, insists the beauty needs to make the

three-year-old her number one priority if she wants to rebuild her life.

He says, "Like everyone, I want her and her kiddie to be OK. She should just

do what she needs to do for herself and her kid and that's it."