Sign in to follow this  
princess

Lost Discussion

Hiatuses for serialized shows a ‘Lost’ cause

Strike could mean a long break, viewer drop-off — again — for TV series

COMMENTARY

By Jeff Hidek

MSNBC contributor

ABC just decided that broadcasting a few episodes of "Lost's" upcoming fourth season is better than no "Lost" at all. But as anyone who sat through last season's excruciating first six episodes knows, that's just not true.

Some folks never learn.

The Hollywood writers' strike has put the future of nearly every show on television in question. But, in most cases, fans of shows such as "CSI" and "Grey's Anatomy" can find solace in the fact that their shows have a few episodes left to air (and perhaps even film) before Warrick and Bailey withdrawal sets in.

In the case of most midseason shows, the news is even rosier. Most of those series, returning and new, have filmed as many as a dozen episodes. So assuming "One Tree Hill" doesn't start its fifth season until some time in February, fans could enjoy new episodes through May.

For highly serialized shows, though, part of a season does not a whole season make. That's why FOX announced its new January schedule last week without "24," which tells one story every season in real time over the course of 24 hour-long episodes. FOX will hold off debuting the new season until it knows when all the episodes will be done, which could mean waiting until January 2009.

That's a smart move. FOX has been starting the show's seasons in January in recent years so they could air uninterrupted through May. (Reruns and several-week hiatuses once cost it ratings momentum. )

Now, "24" only has eight or nine episodes ready to air until the strike is resolved, and if those completed episodes air as planned, they would run out by the end of February. New episodes wouldn't come until weeks later, and that's assuming the strike ends soon.

FOX made the right call. With a popular, critically acclaimed, serialized show like "24," you wait till you know when all your episodes will be done before committing to a start date.

Unless you're ABC.

Impatient

If there is one thing ABC should know about fans of serialized shows, it's that they aren't patient with incomplete story lines — especially on "Lost."

When the intricately plotted castaway drama aired its "pod" of six episodes last fall before going on a planned three-month hiatus, fans revolted, and ABC can't blame them — the show was revolting. Its writers spent those six episodes focusing on "the Others," whose name must have been derived from "characters other than the ones we care about."

The showrunners asked viewers to be patient, to please wait to view the season as a whole before grumbling that they never got to see Hurley or Jin. And, to be fair, the season's final six episodes were some of the series' best. But by then, millions of viewers had lost interest.

Since then, everyone involved has admitted that the hiatus was a mistake. ABC struck a deal with the show's creators to develop three abbreviated seasons of the show that would air in uninterrupted 16-episode blocks.

"Lost" has completed only eight episodes of its new season, and the network is refusing to follow FOX's example and hold off on airing the first set of episodes.

It's the wrong move. "Lost" can't afford to lose any more momentum. But it's wrong for another reason: "Lost" showrunner Damon Lindelof says those first episodes aren't any good.

Interviewed on the picket lines, he told E! Online that he thinks the show will follow a similar course as last year: "When you are doing 24 straight episodes of a show, the first six episodes are a lot of tap dancing and some writers are able to tap-dance very effectively. Cable writers don't have to tap-dance at all, which is why all their shows are so great."

Missing the point

Sure, cable shows have shortened seasons, but "Lost" does too now, so can't the pace quicken? Lindelof shouldn't be able to blame a "large" episode order for forcing viewers to sit through filler.

Besides, he's missing the bigger point. Seeing more of Hurley or Jin last November instead of waiting until March would have made fans happier, but it wouldn't have made those first six episodes any less disappointing.

The producers of "Lost" need to stop blaming the serialized format — and their own fans' so-called impatience — for the show's poor performance. Instead, they should take some cues from the folks at "24," because even if FOX weren't postponing the season, the first eight episodes of "24" will be better than the first eight of "Lost."

Long ago, "24" realized the dangers of too much "tap dancing," as Lindelof calls it. Sure, the show's premise makes so-called "filler" episodes necessary, but "24" has begun to find ways to inject even these episodes with the same adrenaline as those episodes ticking down to the finale.

And most importantly, "24's" writers don't blame the show's serialized structure for their occasional missteps. The cougar traps and amnesia bouts of the early years are mostly gone now. And the writers have learned how to weave enough smaller stories into a larger story arc to keep the tap dancing to a minimum.

Thankfully, FOX made the right decision. After all, "24" fans have waited a year to see Tony return from the dead. To get a small taste now, only to have to wait several more months for the conclusion, would be torture. And as much as "24's" writers like torture, they don't like torturing their fans.

"Lost" and ABC apparently do.

Jeff Hidek also covers television for the Star-News in Wilmington, NC. Read his blog at tv.starnewsonline.com or contact him at jeff.hidek@starnewsonline.com.

© 2007 MSNBC Interactive

Anyone going to watch the new season of Lost?

Hell yeah!!

Count me in too!

Me too! I watched the recap episode last night and I'm looking forward to the new season. :lol:

It's been so long since the show was on, I'm still trying to remember everything. Whose funeral did Jack go to? Why did John not want the phone to be used? Who is Kate with after they get off the island? So many questions!

:) Yeah, I watched the recap last night too. I'm glad I did because I had forgotten alot. I will watch it because I have to know what will happen next. I feel like I have to see this thing to completion. I hope they give us good solid episodes and not a bunch of filler like last year.

I'm a bit disappointed that they are airing the episodes now as we'll have to have another long break for the rest of the season once the strike ends.

However, I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I'm excited to see it back on the air again.

:wacko:

I'm sooo excited that Lost is starting again tonight. I watched the recap last night as well. I'm so glad I did because I forgot alot that happened.

I know that many people don't like Charlie, I liked him. Secretly, I'm hoping that he survived.

Nice to have you back Lost. Thank goodness I watched the 1 hour recap at 8, b/c I had forgotten a lot of what had been going on.

Oceanic 6 - Jack, Kate, Hurley. Who are the other 3?

Why is Jack such a messanic a-hole all the time? Self righteous prig.

Some of the blogs are saying that the guy in the chair in the shack (where Hurley was drawn to) was Jack's father. I didn't catch a good enough look.

So good to see the old gang again.

Doesn't Claire get off the island (with Aaron)? I didn't watch the catch-up episode last night so my memory is foggy, but I thought Desmond convinced Charlie to risk his life because it led to Claire and Aaron leaving the island.

I enjoyed the episode and loved seeing Daniels from The Wire be as intimidating as ever to Hurley but can tell it is going to be a long wait once these 8 episodes are off the air...hopefully the eighth episode isn't some huge cliffhanger.

Nice to have you back Lost. Thank goodness I watched the 1 hour recap at 8, b/c I had forgotten a lot of what had been going on.

spoiler: Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sayid, Jin and Sun<---- end spoiler

Some of the blogs are saying that the guy in the chair in the shack (where Hurley was drawn to) was Jack's father. I didn't catch a good enough look.

John Terry had guest star billing...

screen cap from the Fuselage.com:

Posted Image

and a lighter version of it:

Posted Image

I'm so glad there are people out there who pay much more attention to these things than me. I just watch the show and if I happen to catch in the chair I do. If I don't, I don't. LOL. I just enjoy the ride.

Kristin at E! has an interview up with Hurley and he said it was originally him in the chair.

I have behaved and have not looked at the spoiler :)

I'm so glad there are people out there who pay much more attention to these things than me. I just watch the show and if I happen to catch in the chair I do. If I don't, I don't. LOL. I just enjoy the ride.

Kristin at E! has an interview up with Hurley and he said it was originally him in the chair.

I have behaved and have not looked at the spoiler :)

There are some really obsessed watchers over at the Fuselage, they catch a lot of stuff that I don't catch. Not to mention that I kinda looked away when Hurley was near that cabin, because eeek scared lol.

Good for you Cy, I ran into it by accident and it's about as spoiled as I am. I'm doing my best to stay as unspoiled as possible.

Did you all notice who's back in the credits as a regular btw ;)

Yes I did and I let out a big old groan.

I hope he won't be whining about 'MY BOY' again :rolleyes: I seriously wanted to smack him so much near the end of season 2, he just kept getting worse and worse with his 'my boy' stuff.

I hope he won't be whining about 'MY BOY' again :rolleyes: I seriously wanted to smack him so much near the end of season 2, he just kept getting worse and worse with his 'my boy' stuff.

Oh god - do you think we'll have to see MY BOY in person? He's got to be at least 18 by now (joking!). I don't want to see him or the father. The only way I want to see him is if the Losties beat the crap out of him for betraying them. ;)

Oh god - do you think we'll have to see MY BOY in person? He's got to be at least 18 by now (joking!). I don't want to see him or the father. The only way I want to see him is if the Losties beat the crap out of him for betraying them. ;)

I guess that Malcolm is the right age now to play current time Walt, if they wanted him to. They took him from the show because he was growing(makes sense since he's a kid and all ;)) and they have only been on the island for appr. 3/4 months now.

Which has me wonder how many babies they have used to play Aaron by now lol

I'm all for a Michael smackdown.

Edited by galaxygirl

spoiler: *************<---- end spoiler

How do you know those are the other 3?

Edited by WillyWonka

***** SPIOLERS ******* and speculation!

Because those are three of the people we saw in the future, in the "flash forwards."

I think one of the Six was in the coffin? When the undertaker asked if Jack was friend or family and he said neither, it made me think of Locke. But Locke would fight tooth and nail to stay on the island.

Also, the way that Kate said to Jack at the airport, "I have to go, he'll be waiting." That made me think she was still with Sawyer.

I would guess that one of the Others are among the Six, so Ben or Juliet.

And do you think they really left people behind who were alive? :blink:

***** END

Edited by k80cat

It's all over the spoiler sites. Kristin confirmed that those six are the Oceanic Six

Edited by galaxygirl

Because those are three of the people we saw in the future, in the "flash forwards."

I think one of the Six was in the coffin? When the undertaker asked if Jack was friend or family and he said neither, it made me think of Locke. But Locke would fight tooth and nail to stay on the island.

Also, the way that Kate said to Jack at the airport, "I have to go, he'll be waiting." That made me think she was still with Sawyer.

***** END

I still think, now more than ever since he's coming back on the show(he's in the credits), that it's Michael in the coffin. I think they left people behind who were still alive, hence the survivor's guilt in Hurley and later on in Jack. I think whoever took them off the Island holds a lot of power over those Six to never speak about what happened and might still be happening on the Island. Edited by galaxygirl

***** END

I still think, now more than ever since he's coming back on the show(he's in the credits), that it's Michael in the coffin. I think they left people behind who were still alive, hence the survivor's guilt in Hurley and later on in Jack. I think whoever took them off the Island holds a lot of power over those Six to never speak about what happened and might still be happening on the Island.

Without having read the spoiler, my thought is Michael as well. The funeral home was located in what appeared to be a mostly black neighborhood and the funeral home manager was black as well. I think it's hard to ignore those clues unless it's done intentionally to throw people off. Jack and Kate would not have considered him to be a friend after the last time they had seen him and yet Jack would feel the need to go to his funeral. As for that person having died alone, I can see Michael ending up alone with the way he treated people and even his son growing up and leaving him.

And yeah - I agree they left the majority of people behind alive and that they suffer a great deal of guilt because of it. It all comes back to why that island has to remain such a secret to begin with that they're convinced they can't tell anyone else the location to rescue the rest. All I can say is that I hope they have an actual answer that's good in the end and don't just take the usual route of shows like the X-Files where you feel like they led you on a wild goose chase for nothing.

What I am enjoying this season is that so far, they've returned to focusing on the original cast more the others. That's what hooked me to begin with and I hope they stay on that route, only bringing in Ben and the others when they have to. I love the addition of Desmond and his girlfriend but I tune out when Ben is on the screen.

All I can say is that I hope they have an actual answer that's good in the end and don't just take the usual route of shows like the X-Files where you feel like they led you on a wild goose chase for nothing.

I have a lot of faith in Lindelof and Cuse. They have said that they have a specific story in mind that they will tell in the 3 seasons they have left.

Whats the deal with the news footage of the wreckage? Is it fake? I'm guessing they are trying to make the world believe that 815 didn't have any survivors. I wonder who is behind all that because it obviously isn't Ben.

I haven't posted here before but I love Lost and am SO GLAD it's back! :wacko:

What I am enjoying this season is that so far, they've returned to focusing on the original cast more the others. That's what hooked me to begin with and I hope they stay on that route, only bringing in Ben and the others when they have to. I love the addition of Desmond and his girlfriend but I tune out when Ben is on the screen.

I like that the focus has shifted back again too. I think the writing for these first episodes has been fantastic too, and I love that the heart of Hurley is showing again.

But I have to totally disagree with the statement about Ben...I love his character. I think he was the only great thing about last season, and him on screen with Locke was just pure gold!!