princess

Oprah Winfrey

South African court postpones Oprah Winfrey school trial

A court on Monday postponed the trial of a former dormitory matron accused of abusing pupils at a school set up by Oprah Winfrey for disadvantaged girls.

Magistrate Thelma Simpson agreed to a request made by Tiny Virginia Makopo's lawyer, who said he needed more time to consult with his client.

The judge said a new trial date, likely in July, would be set during a provisional hearing on Friday.

Prosecutor Etienne Venter voiced frustration with the delay, saying the state was ready for the trial.

"We can't keep on dragging and dragging the case," he said.

Makopo has pleaded not guilty to charges of indecent assault, assault and criminal injury. Police say the alleged abuse against six teenage students and a fellow dormitory matron took place over four months.

On Monday, Makopo hid her face in a maroon towel as she entered the court building. A policewoman removed the towel, but Makopo pulled her jacket hood low over her eyes.

"I can't talk to a faceless person," Simpson said as she ordered her to remove the hood.

Winfrey's $40 million school opened in January 2007 with much fanfare, with guests including Nelson Mandela, Spike Lee and Tina Turner. It is designed to groom girls from disadvantaged backgrounds for leadership roles.

Winfrey, who was a victim of child abuse herself, promised an overhaul of the school and said she had apologized to parents.

Copyright © 2008 The Associated Press

David Blaine's Breathtaking Oprah Appearance

E!

If those attending The Oprah Winfrey Show next Wednesday are holding their breath in hopes of getting a bunch of Miss O's favorite things, they'll have to settle for a guy holding his breath.

Yes, David Blaine will (yawn) once again try to break the Guinness record for underwater breath holding during a live appearance on the talk-show queen’s program April 30.

As you may recall, the last time the so-called endurance artist tried but failed to pull off this stunt, he had just finished living under water for seven and a half days.

Hmmm, it should be interesting to see how well he does in the face of Oprah's disappointed disciples when they realize they're not going home with a new car.

Tom Cruise returning to Oprah

The Scoop

Tom Cruise is returning to “Oprah”!

The actor hasn’t appeared on Winfrey’s daytime talk show since his June 23, 2005, appearance where in addition to promoting “War of the Worlds,” he very enthusiastically expressed his love for future wife Katie Holmes (we’re putting the whole couch incident in the past).

It’s not clear what the focus of this show will be, but it is well-timed to May sweeps, and a quick look at the calendar shows that this summer is the 25th anniversary of Cruise’s breakthrough role in “Risky Business.”

A rep for Warner Home Video does confirm that there are “special plans” for the anniversary, and details are being finalized. Other celebrities have been contacted about being involved in the show according to sources close to them, so expect it to be an A-list hour of television. Cruise’s publicist wasn’t available for comment and “The Oprah Winfrey Show” didn’t respond by deadline.

Case of ex-Oprah school matron delayed in SAfrica

SEBOKENG, South Africa (Reuters) - A South African court on Friday postponed until July the trial of a former dormitory matron of U.S. talk show host Oprah Winfrey's girls academy, who has been charged with abusing minors.

Virginia Makgobo, 27, arrested in November and out on bail, appeared in Sebokeng magistrate court, south of Johannesburg, to face charges of indecent and common assault, and soliciting a minor to perform indecent acts and verbal abuse.

The court postponed the case until July 29, when Makgobo is scheduled to enter her plea and the trial is to begin.

Makgobo arrived at the court wearing a dark skirt, jacket and sunglasses, and did not hide her face from photographers as she had during past court appearances.

Winfrey, a billionaire philanthropist who has herself told of suffering sexual abuse as a child, has described the charges against the matron as one of the most devastating experiences of her li

Apr. 27, 200

OPRAH, CHER SHARE THEIR CRUISE CRUSHES

Oprah Winfrey and Cher discussed their crushes on Tom Cruise during a taping of Oprah’s show in Las Vegas on Saturday.

During a commercial break at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace, Oprah raved about a sexy snowmobile ride she had with Cruise in Telluride, Colorado during a stopover on her way to Las Vegas.

“I see what happened to Katie," Oprah said. “There’s something about the guy’s butt, and you’re skooched up there. … You’re like, ‘Take me home. Anywhere else you want to go, Tom? I’m free this afternoon.”

At that point, Oprah acknowledged that her galpal Gayle King was seated in the front row.

On camera, Oprah said Cruise told her to say hi to Cher, who acknowledged she had a thing for Cruise too. Cher said she went out on a date with Cruise just once, but that it was “a long date,” a comment that went over big with the mostly female crowd of 3,000.

That was back when Cruise was poor, Cher said. He was shy, sweet and “I was crazy about him.” Cher recalled that she and Cruise were in a New York restaurant when Cruise saw a woman he knew from his high school days. Cruise told Cher: “She wouldn’t give me the time of day (back then). I was such a boob.”

Oprah told the audience Cruise’s home in Telluride is the most spectacular she’s ever seen. She joked off-air, “I did not jump on his couch.”

Oprah’s CBS show will air May 8, two days after Cher opens her three-year, 200-show headliner deal. After Cher, physically stunning as usual, sang “Take Me Home,” Oprah told the invite-only crowd, “That’s what 61 looks like."

“That’s enough to keep me off the burgers,” added Oprah.

Source — NORM CLARKE, Vegas Confidential

“I see what happened to Katie," Oprah said. “There’s something about the guy’s butt, and you’re skooched up there. …You’re like, ‘Take me home. Anywhere else you want to go, Tom? I’m free this afternoon.”

At that point, Oprah acknowledged that her galpal Gayle King was seated in the front row.

Yeah sure, Oprah. We believe you. I'm pretty surprised you'd even showcase him in any way after the couch jumping stunt.

Hmmm... now let me see.... what could the $cienoCult have on Oprah? Hmmmm???

Oprah is SO overexposed and thinks that she can do anything and nothing will touch her. Karma WILL get you Oprah. There are a LOT of people who are wondering why you are showcasing this complete sicko on your show and instead of saying "well, he must be OK, Oprah likes him" people will start saying, "what is wrong with Oprah".

Tommy is an evil cult leader, and Oprah has blown it big time to sell her soul for ratings. Wonder how much this little midget asshole contributed to her "charities" to get this gig?

I'm not ever watching her show again.

There are a LOT of people who are wondering why you are showcasing this complete sicko on your show and instead of saying "well, he must be OK, Oprah likes him" people will start saying, "what is wrong with Oprah".

Tommy is an evil cult leader, and Oprah has blown it big time to sell her soul for ratings. Wonder how much this little midget asshole contributed to her "charities" to get this gig?

Probably not a penny. After she appeared to distance herself from Wee Tom after he jumped on her couch and showed the world what a maniac he is, some minion was probably tasked to get dirt on her. Obviously, somebody did - or at least constructed a portfolio in such a way that she'd have to give up the truth to refute the lies that are based on some sort of tiny truth. That's how this disgusting cult operates. Fair Game remember?

“I see what happened to Katie," Oprah said. “There’s something about the guy’s butt, and you’re skooched up there. …You’re like, ‘Take me home. Anywhere else you want to go, Tom? I’m free this afternoon.”

I'm kind of fascinated by the dynamics at work here, and the timing - it seems to be written to suggest that Oprah was "apologizing" to her girlfriend for publicly crushing on Tom (a la Rosie).

'Sex and the City' stars reunite on The Oprah Winfrey show

By ELOISE PARKER

DAILY NEWS

The stars of 'Sex and the City' - from l. Kristin Davis, Cynthia Nixon, Kim Cattrall and Sarah Jessica Parker - reunite on The Oprah Winfrey Show.

The cast of "Sex and the City: The Movie" reunited April 24 on The Oprah Winfrey Show, four years after waving goodbye to the hit HBO show with the chat show doyenne.

Sarah Jessica Parker, Cynthia Nixon, Kim Cattrall, Kristin Davis and Chris Noth all joined Oprah in the studio for the episode, which will air on Thursday May 1.

"I am excited — excited is like a flip-flop to a high heel. Like it doesn't even describe [it]," an upbeat SJP told Winfrey of the hype surrounding the hotly-anticipated movie.

"[The reunion has] been such a blast," added Cattrall, offering little fodder to fuel the rumors of an ongoing feud between herself and Parker.

In fact, filming the movie was such a blast that Chris Noth has already told Extra that a sequel could be in the works.

"I imagine if it made a lot of money, they'd want one. I don't know where Sarah [Jessica Parker] stands on that... it's sort of up to her. I'm just riding her coattails," he told the show.

I'm kind of fascinated by the dynamics at work here, and the timing - it seems to be written to suggest that Oprah was "apologizing" to her girlfriend for publicly crushing on Tom (a la Rosie).

Yes, because Tom is such a manly man that not just the straight women, but even the lesbians want him :rolleyes:

Let's see - who has she been featuring via her show? Tom, John, Kirstie, Will & Jada, and I seem to remember Priscilla and Lisa Marie not too long ago.

I think they have her.

That's scary. :ph34r:

Edited by lurkinator

Let's see - who has she been featuring via her show? Tom, John, Kirstie, Will & Jada, and I seem to remember Priscilla and Lisa Marie not too long ago.

I think they have her.

That's scary. :ph34r:

Gee, you may be right about that. Any other scieno's been on there? Leah Remini, JLo (?), trying to remember some of those other names......

O wow! Oprah Winfrey tops Forbes 100; What happened, Tom?

BY CORKY SIEMASZKO

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Tom Hanks, what happened? The talented and popular actor tops our list of notable no-shows. Click above to see the rest. Villa/Getty

Tom Hanks, what happened? The talented and popular actor tops our list of notable no-shows. Click above to see the rest.

Oprah Winfrey topped the Forbes list with total earnings of $275 million. Click above to see the top ten. Agostini/AP

Oprah Winfrey topped the Forbes list with total earnings of $275 million. Click above to see the top ten.

Jay-Z scored highest on the list than any other New York celebrity. Click photo to see was other locals made the cut. Mazur/WireImage

Jay-Z scored highest on the list than any other New York celebrity. Click photo to see was other locals made the cut.

New York is celebrity central, where on any given night the famous and glamorous grace Manhattan's most select spots and glory in their utter fabulousness.

The celebrity with the most juice, though, is based in far less chic Chicago: Oprah Winfrey has topped Forbes magazine's "Celebrity 100" list of most powerful celebrities. For the fifth time.

The Big O earned a whopping $275 million during the past year, far outpacing second place finisher, golfer Tiger Woods, who raked in $115 million.

Angelina Jolie was a distant third. While the very pregnant actress made a relatively piddly $14 million, she earned the right to don the mantle of celebrity powerhouse by forcefully speaking out on behalf of refugees - and by being one hot mommy.

Another beauty, singer Beyonce Knowles, was fourth on the list.

"Harry Potter" creater J.K. Rowling was the biggest earner of the bunch, bringing in $300 million, but she was in ninth place, ahead of Jolie's baby daddy, actor Brad Pitt.

The highest ranking New Yorker was Beyonce's new husband, rapper Jay-Z, who came in seventh, followed by David Letterman at 15, Jerry Seinfeld at 25, Howard Stern at 41, and Donald Trump, who was 45th.

Other New York rappers were also represented - 50 Cent was 26th and Sean (Diddy) Combs was 33rd. Two Yankees also made the cut - Alex Rodriguez was 24th, Derek Jeter was 50th.

"Sex and the City" star Sarah Jessica Parker made her debut on the list at 72, as did "30 Rock" star Tina Fey, who was 99th.

Other New York-based sirens making the cut were Jennifer Lopez (54), Tyra Banks (68), and Rachael Ray (76).

Madonna, who placed 21st, kinda counts because even though she now calls London home, she got her start in the city, and still owns a pad here.

Teutonic supermodel Heidi Klum ranked 78th and made the cover of the magazine. In an accompanying article, she fondly recalled the "roach-infested brownstone on East 18th Street" that was her first Manhattan home.

Filling in the top ten, soccer star David Beckham was fifth, actor Johnny Depp was sixth, and the reconstituted rock band, The Police, hit the list for the first time in eighth place.

In a nod to the undeniable purchasing power of the pimply masses, Forbes added some teenage stars to the rankings.

Tops in that category was pop star Miley Cyrus, who was 35th on the strength of her sold-out concert tour, a hit 3-D movie, and a controversial Vanity Fair photo shoot that generated all kinds of the wrong buzz.

Other powerful tweens are "High School Musical" stars Zac Efron (92) and Ashley Tisdale (94), pop rockers The Jonas Brothers (89 and from Wyckoff, N.J.), and "Harry Potter" star Daniel Radcliffe (64).

Among those left off the list after making the cut in 2007 were Tom Hanks, Jessica Alba and Jessica Simpson.

Cleansed! Oprah steps out after detox

By KORIN MILLER

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Posted Image

Oprah Winfrey, left, in February; at right, post-cleanse at a dinner for Nelson Mandela

Oprah Winfrey has officially been cleansed! But did her latest dietary overhaul actually work?

The talk show host, 54, turned up at a dinner Wednesday to celebrate Nelson Mandela's 90th birthday party, looking no different than she did before embarking on a 21-day vegan detox diet.

Winfrey started the cleanse in May, which was inspired by Kathy Freston's book "Quantum Wellness." The host talked up the book and cleanse - repeatedly - on her show and Web site. She maintained a blog during her diet, detailing what she ate, her caffeine withdrawl and food temptations.

Under the plan, Winfrey had to eliminate all the good stuff: caffeine, sugar, alcohol, gluten and animal products.

"I want some wine," Winfrey, who has publicly struggled with her weight for years, wrote on her blog after completing the cleanse. "Bordeaux '82. Just one glass at sunset."

Winfrey's publicist wouldn't comment on whether the star lost weight during the cleanse, but stressed that it's designed for dieters to rethink their relationship with food.

However, in her blog, Winfrey suggests that weight loss is among the program's benefits. "[Freston] talks about an overweight friend who would gain and lose," Oprah wrote. "She didn't conquer the weight issue until she became a 'conscious' eater." Winfrey went on to mention her issues with eating emotionally and said she wanted to become "conscious of every bite," as well as learn to think about food differently.

This isn't the first eating plan Oprah has touted on her show. Remember the liquid Optifast diet in the late '80s? How 'bout the green tea diet? Or Atkins? Winfrey has welcomed a host of diet experts and authors onto her set through the years including her trainer, Bob Greene, who conceived the BestLife diet.

"This has been exactly what we intended: enlightening," Winfrey wrote on her blog of her latest diet go-around. "I will forever be a more cautious and conscious eater. That's my commitment for now."

Winfrey was spotted clutching a flute of champagne at the Mandela dinner, so apparently, the no-alcohol rule is out the window.

Oprah pisses me off sometimes. I'm a vegan (partially by choice, mostly because of food allergies), alcohol-free (allergic) and gluten-free (because I have celiac disease and would be dead right now otherwise) and I can tell you that there is still plenty of "good stuff" for me to eat.

<_<

Edited by akua123

Oprah pisses me off sometimes. I'm a vegan (partially by choice, mostly because of food allergies), alcohol-free (allergic) and gluten-free (because I have celiac disease and would be dead right now otherwise) and I can tell you that there is still plenty of "good stuff" for me to eat.

<_<

To be fair, the "good stuff" wasn't a direct Oprah quote or from her blog--it happens to be the word choice of the Daily News staff writer describing the diet.

I do just love that Oprah is like so many normal women--makes me feel better that if Oprah, with her billions, STILL struggles with her weight, I don't feel so bad about my own struggles. This is probably the only thing I will admit to liking about Oprah :unsure:

Posted Image

Oprah Winfrey in Portofino, Italy, where she spent the 4th of July holiday with best friend Gayle King.

<_<

To be fair, the "good stuff" wasn't a direct Oprah quote or from her blog--it happens to be the word choice of the Daily News staff writer describing the diet.

I do just love that Oprah is like so many normal women--makes me feel better that if Oprah, with her billions, STILL struggles with her weight, I don't feel so bad about my own struggles. This is probably the only thing I will admit to liking about Oprah :unsure:

TRUE VERY VERY TRUE...

The other thing that I like about her is that when she does not know something she states it, she is not one of these people that will run her mouth when she has no idea what the heck she is talking about. I watch her show (thanks to my pregnant friend for hooking me in) and topics come up and if she is not too in the know she shrugs and says I never heard of that before...

LOVE THAT

I would love for ONE of the host (JUST ONE) to say HMM I don't know every once in a while instead of just running thier mouth for the sake of talking:)

K

TV Guide: Oprah Earns $385 Million Per Year

Monday August 4, 2008

Oprah Winfrey earns a whopping $385 million a year.

Simon Cowell banks $50 million.

David Letterman? $32 million!

They're among the stars who appear in TV Guide's annual star salary survey, based on information from TV industry insiders and published sources.

Who else brings in the big bucks?

According to the magazine, newlywed Charlie Sheen is the highest-paid comedy star on primetime television, with $825,000 per episode.

CSI's William Peterson — who is leaving the show this upcoming season — is the highest-paid actor in a prime-time drama, earning $600,000 per episode.

With $400,000 an episode, Law & Order: SVU star Mariska Hargitay is the highest-paid actress in a drama. Kyra Sedgwick takes home $275,000 per episode of TNT's The Closer, making her top- earning actress on a cable network drama.

Some stars make serious money without appearing on TV at all.

Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane, who supplies the voice of lead character Peter Griffin, just signed a deal with Fox that will net him $100 million through 2012.

And The Simpsons cast — Dan Castellaneta, Julie Kavner, Nancy Cartwright, Yeardley Smith and Hank Azaria — each earn $400,000 per episode.

For the complete list of star salaries, pick up the new issue of TV Guide, out August 7.