Dontcha love drunk posting? :D
yessshhhh! I do! ;)

Chicago Tribune

http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/tv/mmx-...television_heds

COMMENTARY

Oprah, the time to talk is now

By Mark Caro

Tribune entertainment reporter

My first reaction to last week's Oprah-Hermes flap, in which the Paris boutique apologized to the talk-show queen for turning her away after hours, was to want to write something like this:

Thank you, Oprah, for striking another blow for the common man and woman -- and America too.

Our hearts all go out to you. There you were, in Paris, wanting to buy a present for your friend Tina Turner, and Hermes wouldn't let you into the store.

Sure, they say you showed up at 6:45 p.m., and the store closed at 6:30 p.m. Sure, the store was preparing "a private public relations event inside."

But they just don't get it over there in France, do they? You're an American. You have a God-given right to shop whenever and wherever you want to.

And you're Oprah, so you can do whatever you please. Don't those people over there understand that celebrities are royalty? Regular rules do not apply!

Besides, as your people thought it was important for us all to know, you were buying a watch for your pal Turner. What do the French have against Tina Turner?

Your friend Gayle King said you described the incident as "one of the most humiliating moments" of your life.

I feel your pain. Once I went to a Dairy Queen and some low-life was sweeping the floor and the door was locked, and I yelled, "I need a Blizzard!" The dude just shrugged and said, "We're closed."

I said, "Open up! I need it for my friend John Cusack!"

He said, "I'm sorry, but the cash registers are all closed down and everything is turned off."

I've never felt so humiliated in my life.

So good for you, Oprah. Last week the U.S. Senate apologized for the country's history of lynching, Sen. Dick Durbin apologized for likening Guantanamo Bay to a Nazi prison, and Hermes apologized for not letting you shop after it had closed.

The world is finally getting somewhere.

OK, so I decided not to write that, and not just because that ending is a bit over the top. Here's the reason:

Oprah's representatives implied that the incident was racial in nature, calling it her "`Crash' moment," a reference to the current hit movie about racism in Los Angeles. I may be a smart-ass who's under the impression that if Oprah's ego were a movie character, it would be Godzilla, but she has accumulated some credibility over the years.

If she has a racial complaint to air, I'm inclined to take it seriously rather than assume she's crying wolf.

The problem I have now is that she plans to air this complaint when her show kicks off its new season in September -- at least that's what a Harpo Productions spokeswoman told The Associated Press.

Oprah, if something happened to you that was serious enough for you to make it an international issue, something that you're terming a "Crash" moment -- the African-American woman in "Crash," after all, is the victim of sexual assault -- then talk about it now, for heaven's sake. Don't wait almost three months just to give your show a lift.

Transforming this incident into TV programming just cheapens it. Address the situation now and it can be what you might call a learning moment for us all. Milk it for your own commercial interests and you'll only further the impression that it's Oprah's world and we -- and those Hermes nincompoops -- should just consider ourselves lucky to be living in it.

Seattle Times

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/arts...50_oprah30.html

Commentary

Oprah opens the door to questions on privilege

By CONNIE SCHULTZ

Newhouse News Service

Last week The Washington Post joined dozens of media outlets and dedicated 1,027 words to megastar Oprah Winfrey's thwarted attempt to enter a posh Paris boutique after it closed.

Winfrey wanted to buy a little something at Hermès, where a single square of silk sells for several hundred dollars and handbags cost what most of us pay for a used car. In mint condition.

The store, however, had just closed. The clerk reportedly told Winfrey just that.

Now madness reigns.

Why, oh why, ask countless reporters, radio talk-show hosts and bloggers, were Oprah and her entourage not allowed to shop after the closing when other customers were apparently still milling about?

Was it racism? Did the clerk mistake Winfrey for one of those pesky North Africans?

Was it stupidity in not recognizing Forbes magazine's No. 1 celebrity for 2005?

Or was it just the desperate act of an unhappy store clerk fed up to her beaded brow with pampered customers?

Several accounts have Winfrey telling Hermès' U.S. president what happened. Several other reports said she told him she would never, ever shop there again.

Hermès has since apologized, saying those other people in the shop were attending a public-relations event and that Winfrey's timing was just bad.

"Hermès regrets not having been able to welcome Madame Oprah Winfrey and the people accompanying her to give them all the attention and service that Hermès is committed to giving each of its clients in the world," read the company's statement.

Nice try.

Relying on that most abused of journalistic privileges — the anonymous source — the New York Daily News reported that someone who knows Winfrey said that if Celine Dion or Barbra Streisand had wanted to elbow through the door, clerks would have tripped over their stilettos to whisk them in.

Winfrey's close friend, Gayle King, told "Entertainment Tonight," "Oprah describes it herself as one of the most humiliating moments of her life."

She has got to be kidding.

Winfrey is a hero to millions because she bravely bared her soul about her childhood history of rape and abuse. She openly has described the horror of bearing a stillborn child when she was barely a teenager, and she since has become one of the biggest champions of children's rights in the world.

This is a woman who will fall apart if she isn't allowed to shop?

A spokeswoman for Winfrey's Harpo Productions told The Associated Press that she will not discuss her "Crash" moment — a reference to the movie about racism — until her television show returns in September.

If racism was involved, then I hope Winfrey doesn't wait to discuss it until she is surrounded by her adoring fans poised for the collective gasp. This is a serious accusation and one that merits immediate coverage as news, not daytime entertainment.

I also hope she'll answer another question I've yet to see in any of the coverage of this little retail crisis: What made Oprah Winfrey think she should be able to shop after hours in the first place?

Oh, I know, she's Oprah. She's a celebrity. But she's not supposed to be one of those celebrities.

Winfrey has turned every disadvantage she ever had into her every reason for fighting for those who can't. She is revered for relentlessly encouraging other women to stand up for themselves and not allow their own mistreatment.

Throughout her incredible accumulation of wealth and fame, Winfrey has assured us that, "Hey, girlfriend, I'm just like you."

Why, then, is no one asking Winfrey how she came to think it was OK to ask store clerks — women with their own families and their own lives to tend — to stay after hours without so much as a minute's notice?

Clerks around the world are used to such abuse of privilege. That never makes it right.

When it's Oprah, it feels especially wrong.

Happy to find this thread :)When I first heard about it, I was happy that she was treated EQUALLY and refused admittance after they were closed and while they were preparing for a private function. Who does she think she is anyway? She can't plan her day? Call ahead? She can't respect anyone else and their business? But when she upped it to racism, I realized she'd finally lost it. She doesn't want to be treated equally, color or no. She expects to be elevated and if she's not? It's because of her color and not because the store was closed, they were otherwise occupied with someone obviously important enough to the store that a private function was planned. I'm sad that Hermes apologized. Then again, because they DID apologize, she should just drop it. But no, she upped the ante. I predict this is the beginning of the last straw for her. Maybe she'll turn to Scientology?

Edited by MC

I just heard on the local news that some group (didn't catch the name) is circulating a petition to get Oprah Winfrey nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. :rolleyes: :wacko: :wacko:

Nobel Prize? Wow...Oprah has no doubt revolutionized talk television and business...but now she strikes a blow for large black women ever denied entry into overpriced handbag stores, after closing time! Move over Ghandi and Dr. King! :rolleyes:

I just heard on the local news that some group (didn't catch the name) is circulating a petition to get Oprah Winfrey nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. :rolleyes: :wacko: :wacko:

What in the hell for? Krista and Princess can i join you?

Oprah has not commentd on this incident yet so I'll wait until she does so because she has discussed just about everything on her talk show.I'm sure if they are talking about nominating her for a Nobel Peace Prize, it is for her philantrophy and the tens of millions that she gives away to very worthy causes every year.It is not because of any run in with Hermes.Plus she would be a worthy nominee because afterall,Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton have been past nominees, and Yasser Arafat won a nobel peace prize and he is a former terrorist.

Your kidding right?

Plus she would be a worthy nominee because afterall,Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton have been past nominees, and Yasser Arafat won a nobel peace prize and he is a former terrorist.

Oprah is nothing more than a successful talk show host, i.e., an entertainer. Despite the image that Oprah would like to present, i.e, she is still down to earth, that image was clearly belied when she expected the store to make special arrangements for her. Us regular people don't do that.

As far as being a philanthropist, plenty of people give plenty more money than she does.

Oprah has become extremely obnxious in her condescending mannerisms and expectation that she can tell people how to live their lives. No problem with message, but in this case the messenger should be (figuratively) shot.

Politics aside the people above were all world leaders and when it comes to Arafat, he won for being just that, a former terriost (or so Jimmy Carter who won with him believed).

I would have to agree with you T. Although I do have mixed feelings on Arafat...(He pocketed a lot of US aid and money meant for the Palestinian people, might have hindered peace with Israel)What has Oprah done in the name of world peace? Give away cars? Blessed us all with the Dr. Phil show? Helped book sales and the stock market? Don't get me wrong, I think she has the capacity...but she definitely would need to do much more on a global scale....besides being a philanthropist and discriminated shopper!

Not to dwell on Oprah but in the business of globalization I would say she has done more than Sir Bob Geldoff who was nominated for a nobel peace prize today.Bob Geldof has brought attention to the plight but not ponied up any of his millions. She is using $10 million of her own dollars (not raised from her angel network) to build a school in South Africa.The week before the Hermes incident she donated another $1 million dollars to a west African after school program after she saw the documentary which was shot by Dick Ebersol (of NBC fame) son.I am sure there a few more mentionables so I thought , if only a succesful talkshow host she is like you put it Tyler,she has tried to reach out.To be successful,everyone needs an ego.Even my co-workers here.Once you win a case,watch out world..I don't watch Oprah because my work schedule doesn't allow.However, just like anyone else on TV she makes her arguments and suggestions.None of us are forced to do what she says or else a lot more miserable and unhappy people would be walking around here in New York.

Edited by queenie

Well uhhh, excuse me...not a Bob Geldof fan...but he has done more. When oprah raises money and attention to the epidemic in Africa...let me know. Supposedly Live Aid in '85 raised around 100 million for famine(don't know how much it helped).From CNN.Com...MP nominates Geldof for NobelWednesday, July 6, 2005 Posted: 1332 GMT (2132 HKT) Geldof organized the recent Live 8 concerts to raise awareness about poverty in Africa.SPECIAL REPORT OSLO, Norway (Reuters) -- A Norwegian member of parliament nominated Irish rocker and charity champion Bob Geldof on Wednesday for the 2006 Nobel Peace Prize for his work to help poor nations.The peace prize is awarded annually by the Norwegian Nobel Committee. Those qualified to nominate candidates include members of national parliaments around the world.The nomination came as leaders of the Group of Eight rich nations gathered in Scotland to discuss aid for Africa under pressure from the debt-relief movement that Geldof has fronted.His Live 8 concerts have aimed to convince the G8 leaders to double aid, cancel debt and deliver trade justice for Africa."Bob Geldof took the initiative in July 2005 to arrange a string of rock concerts to focus on the problems of poor nations, and pressure the world's leading politicians to take actions in fighting poverty," Member of Parliament Jan Simonsen said in a statement.The nomination was for the 2006 Nobel Peace Prize as the deadline for nominations for the 2005 award passed on February 1.Geldof became a star with the Boomtown Rats before engaging in charity rock movement Band Aid 20 years ago. His Live 8 project, watched by 1.5 billion people, has raised $100 million for Africa's starving.

BobbyD,I am a fan of whom ever truly puts their heart and soul towards good causes.He organised a series of concert to raise awareness but I have not seen him put up his personal dollars which maybe isn't necessary.I have watched Diane Sawyer on Prime Time live where she travelled to Africa with Oprah where she brings books and gifts ,tents and other stuff that people need in those countries.She has done a lot in the US where people seem to forget that not every American is as fortunate as most of us who have health and homes. I don't have to spell it out but she brings attention to a lof of causes and not only overseas.She was one person who went to President Clinton to have the Child Act signed to protect minoirs from predators even though that has not stoppped, but neither has poverty.So I guess we could go on and on ,but I think she would be qualified nominee in many peoples opinion.

You're right we could go and on...Both our opinions will still differ. I just don't see how she did more on a global scale than Geldof did...he raised hundreds of millions, and took european nations to task for the debt of Africa......and oprah has used her own money for causes in the US, Asia, and Africa. I think Oprah will no doubt be nominated someday in the future...when she has done much more. She's not there, yet... I think the main sticking factor...is she has an american audience that she was to walk a straight line with...Once she breaks free of it...then maybe she can broker peace agreements...call government(s) to task for the world's poverty.

Donating money does not qualify you for the Nobel peace prize in my book. I don't care who you are and how much you have donated. As I said, plenty of people have given money to worthwhile causes and have probably given more. If you can point to long lasting changes in the way people think or how it has affected the world as a whole (i.e, Carter's actions), I may rethink my position. However, until I know of one country that has stepped away from the arms race or tried to mend years of strife borne of racism and/or bigotry or religious differences, I stand on my opinion regarding her possible nomination.Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the fact that Oprah is donating money, good for her. I would probably be more impressed if Diane Sawyer wasn't around when she was doing it or taking a tax write-off for the donation.For the record, maybe Geldorf hasn't given away "millions of his own money" because he doesn't have millions to give?Another thought: if she qualifies for the nomination simply for the act of donating money, does that mean, in effect, that you can buy the nomination? If that were the case, I nominate Bill Gates for donating millions along with computers to inner city schools.

I agree with tyler. Many wealthy people give money and we often don't even know about it. Bill Gates gives millions. Ted Turner has given millions to preserve the environment. David Geffen gives millions away at a time. I would highly doubt that Bob Geldoff as "Oprah" money. So he is doing the best he can. Heck, if they can nominate Bob, why not Bono? He's been out there for years on this crusade. He's tried to make a difference on a global scale. I think Oprah is out of her league here.

Funny you say that...Bill Gates has donated the largest cash donation ever to combat AIDS...but what more has he done in the interest of peace? Ted Turner has pledged a Billion to the UN...But I don't think TT will be sitting at any peace table anytime soon...LOL!

Heck, if they can nominate Bob, why not Bono? He's been out there for years on this crusade. He's tried to make a difference on a global scale.

I second that nomination. :D Its not about money for the sake of money. Its about really trying to make a difference and making it count for something.I didn't know about Gates' donation to AIDS causes, but if it gets us one day closer to a cure, his money would have a global effect.

From hivandhepatitis.com...Bill Gates Gives $100 Million to Fight AIDS in IndiaMicrosoft Corp Chairman Bill Gates announced on Monday a $100 million grant to battle HIV/AIDS in India, which has the world's second largest number of victims of the deadly disease.The announcement came at the start of a four-day visit by Gates to India. The donation was the largest single-country grant by his charity, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, a foundation spokeswoman told Reuters.A foundation statement said the India AIDS Initiative would work to provide mobile populations better access to proven HIV-prevention interventions. The drive would target truck drivers and migrant labourers, among others, who are seen as vulnerable to HIV infection.India has four million HIV-positive cases, the highest after South Africa. Some reports estimate the number of people afflicted in India could reach 20 million by 2010.Some 20% of Microsoft's engineers are of Indian origin and Gates said in a recent interview that the company took a special interest in the country for that reason.Earlier, Gates met patients with HIV/AIDS at Naz Foundation, an Indian volunteer group working to heighten awareness about the disease.Gates, the richest man in the world, whose company dominates the personal computer software market, will also meet Indian leaders, business people and technology experts during the four-day trip.A government spokesman said Gates met Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee and briefed him about his charity's efforts to spread AIDS awareness in India.Vajpayee assured Gates the government would cooperate with the charity in its programmes, the spokesman said.Microsoft has a software centre in the southern Indian city of Hyderabad, one of the few outside the United States.Gates is due to meet Indian President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, who is keen to harness software for use by India's masses.11/13/02

My two cents...the true Good Samaritans in this world go unknown and unnoticed and prefer it that way.

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- Oprah Winfrey said she is "furious" atallegations that her absence at the recent funeral for Ebony and Jetmagazines founder John H. Johnson was a snub of the pioneering blackpublisher.A column published Thursday in the Chicago Defender, a historicallysignificant black daily newspaper, questioned why Winfrey didn't attendJohnson's August 15 funeral in her hometown of Chicago....Winfrey said she was in Hawaii when Johnson died and was unable to make itback for the services, according to Martin's column. Johnson died of heartfailure August 8 at the age of 87.