MMM1

What are you reading?

Just finished P.S. I Love you. Can't wait to see Gerard in the movie.

I loved that book. I also read her other two, Rosie Dunn and If you could see me now (I think that was the title). I didn't like Rosie Dunn very much, but I did enjoy the other one.

I am excited to see him in the movie, but not so excited about Hilary Swank.

I just finished My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. My students recommended it so strongly I decided to listen to them - and it was pretty good!

I loved My Sister's Keeper. The Pact by Jodi Picoult is also good. After that I felt like her books had too much of a formula to them.

Jodi Picoult's books do have a bit of a formula to them, but I've loved every one of them except The Tenth Circle, which had a few too many loose ends for my taste.

Mercy just killed me, as did The Plain Truth, Salem Falls, and Vanishing Acts. The longer I'm married and the older my kids get, the more I can relate to everything she writes. She's my favorite author.

Sadly, I have not been much of a reader for the past few weeks (just yesterday picked up The Keep again after at least two or three weeks). But I of course had to run right over to fykey's blog after seeing her latest post so I could read about what she's been reading lately (and so that I could make more Amazon purchases to collect dust in various locations around my house). I ended up laughing myself silly at the imagined interior monologue in anticipation of decapitation. Truly awesome.

Finally finished The Keep. Once I started reading in earnest, it was very involving. Not sure what I think of it overall. Definitely worth reading, but I kinda expected it to be "deeper." Liked the intertwined stories but thought there was going to be something more to them, I guess. I'm not sure what I was looking for, but I know I didn't find it. If that makes sense. Maybe I want too much, but I thought some of it was kind of trite and pat and I thought it was going somewhere more inventive and unusual.

I agree, bittermuch? Reviews of The Keep led me to expect this really thought-provoking, deep book, and it didn't really turn out that way.

And thanks re: my own severance attempt. Unfortunately I had written a better one in my head but forgot it when posting :(

I just finished reading Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. Intresting history of corn, no really, and how we've moved from a carbohydrate to petro-chemical based society. If you're in to that kinda stuff, highly reccomend it.

I can't remeber the last fiction book I read. Too many text books to read! :P

Edited by DesiraeLovesYou

I just finished Severance, by Robert Olen Butler - it's narrated by severed heads. Kinda weird.

I'll have to check that out. I haven't read that one yet, but I do like what I've read of his so far. (A Good Scent.. and Alleys of Eden). Is it weird but good though, or just weird? ;)

I just finished Severance, by Robert Olen Butler - it's narrated by severed heads. Kinda weird.

I'll have to check that out. I haven't read that one yet, but I do like what I've read of his so far. (A Good Scent.. and Alleys of Eden). Is it weird but good though, or just weird? ;)

it was ooook...there were a few good passages, but overall I wasn't too impressed. I wrote more about it here, if you are interested in reading more about it.

it was ooook...there were a few good passages, but overall I wasn't too impressed. I wrote more about it here, if you are interested in reading more about it.

Thanks, interesting read. Sounds like he went for a gimmick at the expense of everything else...too bad.

Finished the new Marian Keyes last week (name escaping me at the moment) and now I'm catching up on older novels--I've read a few but not all) Right now I just started The Other Side of the Story.

I just finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon. Pretty good! Now I'm working my way through The Secret History by Donna Tartt.

I started Secret History--my best friend loved it and recommended it--but I only got about 50 pages in. Just not able to get into it. I still have it (got it cheap at a used book sale) I figure I'll try again eventually.....

I started Secret History--my best friend loved it and recommended it--but I only got about 50 pages in. Just not able to get into it. I still have it (got it cheap at a used book sale) I figure I'll try again eventually.....

Yeah, 50 pages is about my cutoff. I don't know why, but I'm really into this, but like I said, I can't put my finger on why I like it so much. I started last night and stayed up to read it - hopefully I will finish it today. But, definitely, if you are 50 pages in and you still don't like it - time to move on :)

Fykey--my best friend loved it--which is why I got it in the first place (normally it wouldn't have attracted me much) but oh well....About 5 years ago, I started "giving up" on books--I know we've talked about this here before :D Before that, I always felt too guilty to give up on a book I'd started (which is especially odd since I get almost ALL my books from the library, I don't buy them--except paperbacks at the library book sales or the like) But anyway, I see it as a sign of my maturity (?? hee hee) that I am willing to say "I don't like this book" and move on.

I'm reading "This Was my Newport" - it's non-fiction, by Maud Howe Elliott--it's very old, about the gilded age. So far so good. Of course, I ordered this a few months before the new John Jakes fiction about the same era in Newport--figure I'll read the non-fiction first (well, technically I guess it's a memoir, which is sort of a grey area :unsure: ) and then read the fiction. I've been entranced by the gilded age for a long time....