Sign in to follow this  
Rebelgirl

Tina Fey

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20050912/en_celeb_eo/17345

Tina Fey now has a mean girl of her very own.

The Saturday Night Live head writer/"Weekend Update" anchor and Mean

Girls mastermind delivered a baby girl, Alice, on Saturday in

Manhattan, NBC confirmed Monday.

It's the first for Fey and her husband, SNL composer Jeff Richmond. The

couple married in 2001

The 34-year-old funnywoman, who signed a $4 million deal in 2003 to

stay on the Saturday night staple through the upcoming season, will

take a brief maternity leave from the show.

When SNL's 31st season premieres Oct. 1, there will be a couple of new

faces on board to pick up the slack. Bill Hader, a veteran of MTV's

PUnk'd, and Andy Samberg, part of the Lonely Island comedy troupe, have

been tapped to join the Not-Ready-for-Primetime Players as featured

performers.

Also back for the new season: Fred Armisen, Rachel Dratch, Will

Forte, Darrell Hammond, Seth Meyers, Finesse Mitchell, Chris Parnell,

Amy Poehler, Horatio Sanz, Kenan Thompson and featured player Jason

Sudeikis. Like Fey, Maya Rudolph will be taking a maternity leave but

will return later in the season.

Aside from diaper duty, Fey is also working on the script for

Paramount's Curly Oxide and Vic Thrill, a based-on-a-true-story comedy

about a young Hasidic Jew and an aging rock 'n' roller who meet and

form a band.

Tina Fey Plans to Leave 'Saturday Night Live' BURBANK, Calif. (July 22) - Tina Fey is leaving the anchor chair at "Saturday Night Live." Fey says she's quitting the show after six seasons as head writer and co-anchor of the "Weekend Update" fake news segment to focus on her new NBC prime-time series, "30 Rock."Tina Fey joined "Saturday Night Live" as a writer in 1997, became head writer in 1999, and began appearing on the show in 2000."The new show's going to take a lot of time," Fey said while appearing on Friday night's "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.""I wanted to stop doing 'Saturday Night Live' so I could spend more time with Star Jones," she joked, referring to last month's dramatic departure of "The View" co-hostess.Fey, 36, first joined "Saturday Night Live" as a writer in 1997 and became head writer in 1999.In 2000, she first appeared on camera on "Weekend Update" alongside co-anchor Jimmy Fallon, who was replaced by Amy Poehler two years ago.Fey plays the head writer of a fictional late-night sketch show in "30 Rock," a show she developed for NBC that also stars Alec Baldwin."This is the big leap I'm making, it's a show about working at a late-night comedy show," she told Leno. "I'm very creative."07/22/06 15:26 EDT

I can admit, Mean Girls was alright. But she's not fall down funny...Maybe it's me, but SNL has been slippin' the last several years?

I can admit, Mean Girls was alright. But she's not fall down funny...Maybe it's me, but SNL has been slippin' the last several years?

oh, definitely it has been slipping - but i don't think it's her fault. she writes the news and i think that's usually the funniest part of the show. i think it's the rest of the cast that has been unfunny lately. (i know tina is the head writer, but the cast members come up with the premises for their own sketches and write those themselves)

Ok, got it....She's definitely witty. I will check out the new show. At least until Alec Baldwin torpedoes it, with Diva Tantrums! :rolleyes:

Fey, Dratch leaving ‘SNL’ for ‘30 Rock’Producer Michaels not happy about ‘Weekend Update’ anchor's departureMSNBC.com PASADENA, Calif. - Tina Fey is leaving the anchor chair at "Saturday Night Live."Fey says she's quitting the show after six seasons as head writer and co-anchor of the "Weekend Update" fake news segment to focus on her new NBC prime-time series, "30 Rock," which debuts Oct. 11."I'm out of the fake news business now," Fey told the Television Critics Association's summer meeting Saturday.She announced her "SNL" departure on Friday night's "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.""If you're asking if I'm happy about it, no," said Lorne Michaels, executive producer of "30 Rock" and "SNL." "Tina disappearing is a huge hole in the writing staff."Michaels said various individuals and duos would be tested in September to decide who will replace Fey on the "Weekend Update" segment.Also leaving "SNL" is regular Rachel Dratch, who plays a sketch actress on Fey's new sitcom about a fictional late-night show.Fey, 36, first joined "SNL" as a writer in 1997 and became head writer in 1999.She is writing, starring and executive producer of her new show."I'm going to go nuts," she said Saturday. "I do not understand the train that is about to hit me. We're trying to get as much done in the writers' room now before we start and I tried to gather a staff of writers who are experienced so they can proceed when I'm on the set.""30 Rock" also stars Alec Baldwin and former "SNL" regular Tracy Morgan.Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

"If I couldn't win that show, with all of my experience, I should just give up and move to a deserted island."

30 Rock's Tina Fey, on how she should be the Last Comic Standing if she were to appear on a reality-TV show, to Life

Tina Fey's Piece of the 'Rock'

Former 'SNL' scribe goes backstage at NBC

By Rick Porter

Let's just get this out of the way: Tina Fey has seen "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip."

"I watched the first one," Fey says of Aaron Sorkin's backstage-at-a-sketch-comedy-show show. "I think it looks very fancy, and Bradley Whitford is cute."

"Studio 60" is of interest to Fey, a former head writer and performer on "Saturday Night Live," because she has her own backstage-at-a-sketch-comedy-show show on NBC as well. It's called "30 Rock," and it premieres at 8 p.m. ET Wednesday.

That NBC has two series with similar subjects has been a popular discussion topic among professional TV watchers. Fey understands why, but she's confident viewers will get the difference between her show, a straight-out comedy, and Sorkin's, a drama laced with humor.

Fairly confident, anyway. "I think in tone they're going to be very different -- but yes, old people will be confused," she jokes. "Look for Alec Baldwin. If you can find Alec Baldwin, you know you have us."

Baldwin stars in "30 Rock" as new NBC executive Jack Donaghy, whose motto is "Sometimes you have to change things that are perfectly good just to make them your own." That's not good news for Liz Lemon (Fey), the creator and head writer of a sketch-comedy series called "The Girlie Show."

In his first week on the job, Jack pressures Liz into taking a meeting with mentally unstable movie star Tracy Jordan (Fey's fellow "SNL" alum Tracy Morgan), who then proceeds to storm the live broadcast and save a sketch that's circling the drain. Tracy's presence makes "The Girlie Show's" neurotic star, Jenna Maroney (Jane Krakowski), even more agitated.

"I think Tracy's character is one of the freshest we've seen written on TV, and I love his character so much," Krakowski says. "We've done so many fun scenes together. We're such opposites, our characters, that the hilarity that can ensue when we're together is great fun."

Krakowski wasn't in "30 Rock's" original pilot, which featured another ex-"SNL" player, Rachel Dratch, as Jenna (Dratch is still part of the show and will pop up as a number of different characters throughout its run). But after filming that version, which played up the fake sketches in "The Girlie Show" more, Fey rethought what she wanted to do.

"To see sort of canned sketches within the body of the show didn't really feel right," Fey says. "I saw it was going to be more of a straight acting part and wanted to rewrite it. Rachel and I are both very excited about this new direction -- it's a different way to use her range. She's so delightful when she's deep in character."

Having seen the original pilot, Krakowski ("Ally McBeal") knew more or less what she was getting into as well.

"I came in as a fan, and I just really didn't want to mess it up," Krakowski says. "I wanted to fit in as much as I could and bring as much as I could to the program. It was very interesting to kind of see what the product is before joining it. ... Because I loved it so much, I just wanted to do the best job I could."

Shows about show business have a pretty spotty record in the recent past -- in fact, "Studio 60" is drawing only so-so ratings early in its life. Fey, however, hopes viewers see that TV business in "30 Rock" is pretty much a backdrop, much the way that "Mary Tyler Moore" wasn't really about a local newscast.

Fey is not so bold as to compare the quality of her show with the 1970s classic ("We should be so lucky," she says), but she does think the framework of the two shows is similar.

"You're not really going to see the sketches on the show," she says. "You'll see the lives of these characters that work at the show."

Ready for Prime Time?

Tina Fey launches NBC's second ode to 'Saturday Night Live.' It's certainly funnier than 'Studio 60,' but is it funny enough?

WEB-EXCLUSIVE COMMENTARY

By Marc Peyser

Newsweek

Oct. 11, 2006 - One of the disadvantages of being the last TV show to debut on the fall schedule is that your show has already been discussed, dissected and, in some quarters, dismissed before it’s hit the air. By now, you’ve probably heard about “30 Rock,” the NBC sitcom created by “Saturday Night Live” alumnae (and “Mean Girls” writer) Tina Fey, and you probably think you know all about it—that it’s an “SNL”-inspired comedy, not to be confused with Aaron Sorkin's “SNL”-inspired drama, also on NBC. It turns out that, in the proud tradition of DEWEY DEFEATS TRUMAN and MISSION ACCOMPLISHED, those early reports are dead wrong. “30 Rock” is greatly inspired by a TV show. But that show is “The Mary Tyler Moore Show.”

Fey stars as Liz Lemon, the creator of a fictional series called “The Girlie Show,” which only resembles “SNL” in that it is not funny. Lemon is, like Mary Richards before her, the level-headed woman who is surrounded by buffoons, head cases and wackos. Chief among those is Tracy Jordan (Tracy Morgan, another “SNL” alum), a foul-mouthed, booty-crazy former stand-up comic (think Martin Lawrence) who is hired to save “The Girlie Show” from a flava-less flameout. When Jordan tapes a network promo that goes “I’m proud as a peacock,” you can guess which syllable gets the most emphasis. Hiring Jordan is the idea of Jack Donaghy (Alec Baldwin), a pompous network executive who tells one terrified underling to “relax your balls.” Can’t you just hear Ed Asner's Lou Grant, teleported to the year 2006, saying something like that?

So “30 Rock” isn’t exactly original—did we mention Jenna Maroney (Jane Krakowski), the star of “The Girlie Show,” who is so vain she makes Ted Baxter look modest? When a picture of her passed out at a party ends up in Page Six, she’s positively thrilled, because it makes her look thin. That said, “30 Rock” is often charming. Morgan is not only hilarious as the show’s star, he manages to convey the sweetness behind his outrageousness. There’s actually a lovely scene in Wednesday’s pilot where, after he and Lemon bond at a strip club, they stop at the apartment building where he was a foster child. Tracy then proceeds to pee on the side of the building, which is one way of hosing down the sentimentality. Fey has created broad characters with a heart, which is more than most sitcoms have to offer.

If there’s a weak link it is, ironically, Fey—or at least her character. Liz is too flat and passive; she reacts to the crazies around her in ways that often bring out a smart aside but not much character or emotion beyond suppressed exasperation There’s a bit of an “Odd Couple” vibe between her and Morgan that may evolve into something interesting, but right now, she’s content to reel off one-liners before shifting the attention back to her larger-than-life costars. It’s not a fatal flaw, but “30 Rock” will be a lot stronger when its star stands up to the rest of the cast.

© 2006 Newsweek, Inc. | Subscribe to Newsweek

(Pagesix.com)

They All Laughed

GUESTS were rolling on the floor at the French Institute-hosted, top-secret screening on Sunday of "Baby Mama," starring Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Dax Shepard, Greg Kinnear, Steve Martin and Sigourney Weaver. Those running the screening were "very strict about not letting any media or recording devices in," but "a seemingly random audience" was beckoned from the street to give feedback on the comedy, in which Poehler plays a surrogate mother to an infertile Fey. "We watched the film and then filled out a questionnaire," said our spy. "Amy Poehler was the best thing in the movie."

Tina Fey Takes Two Year-Old Daughter to First Movie Premiere

Roll out the red carpet!

Tina Fey took her two-year-old daughter Alice to her first movie: Jerry Seinfeld's new toon Bee Movie. (He recently had a cameo on Fey's NBC sitcom 30 Rock.)

"This is the first big movie that Alice has ever been to," Fey, 37, told Usmagazine.com before the premiere Thursday night in NYC. "I cannot predict how it’s going to go down."

At home, Fey says Alice watches the occasional DVD — Mary Poppins is her fave, mom says — but watching a flick in public ... well, that's a different story.

Joked Fey, "I hope no one takes it personally if she melts down in the movie."

The pair have another important date coming up soon: Thanksgiving.

Fey told Us her favorite Thanksgiving tradition with her love, composer Jeff Richmond: "Eating my husband’s corn bread stuffing!"

Edited by QTPIE

Tina Fey Says Paula Abdul Was 'Awful' As SNL Guest Host

Tina Fey isn't done bashing celebs.

In the new issue of Playboy, the 30 Rock star (and former Saturday Night Live head writer), 37, said Paula Abdul, 45, "was awful" while hosting SNL in 2005.

"I was pregnant [with daughter Alice] at the time and probably a little moody, but I remember thinking, 'She's a disaster! I gotta prop this lady up and get her on TV,'" Fey dished.

She said Abdul was "disastrous ... in the way she generally appears to be.

"It was an American Idol sketch, and she wanted to change parts. So Amy Poehler had to play her."

A year later, Fey recalled seeing Abdul on a flight.

"We both looked at each other like, 'Do I know that girl?'" she said. "And then we both had that moment of recognition, and she was like, 'uuuggh.' I saw it register on her face that she had had a terrible time with us."

usmagazine.com

Comedienne TINA FEY regrets slamming PARIS HILTON as "a piece of s**t" during a radio interview, but remains concerned by the influence the socialite has over a generation of teenage girls. The 37-year-old was a guest on Howard Stern's U.S. radio show in late 2006 when she took aim at Hilton, who had just hosted an episode of Fey's former show Saturday Night Live. Fey now admits her comments went too far - but she's still appalled the hotel heiress is famous for behaviour such as emerging from a car wearing no underwear, starring in a leaked sex tape and a recent stint in jail for a probation violation. Fey says, "I regret sinking to that level of discourse. But Paris is a terrible role model and a terrible young woman. She needs to be ignored. "I work with people who have 12, 13, 14-year-old girls, who are fascinated by her. They look up to her, and that's not great. You can buy videotapes in which you can see her bejanis (vagina)! "There's a whole generation of girls in Hollywood who think that they can say stuff in the press and make it true. It's not just Paris, a whole bunch of them do."

contactmusic.com

I LOVE TINA!

Tina Fey Takes Two Year-Old Daughter to First Movie Premiere

Posted Image

Roll out the red carpet!

Tina Fey took her two-year-old daughter Alice to her first movie: Jerry Seinfeld's new toon Bee Movie. (He recently had a cameo on Fey's NBC sitcom 30 Rock.)

"This is the first big movie that Alice has ever been to," Fey, 37, told Usmagazine.com before the premiere Thursday night in NYC. "I cannot predict how it’s going to go down."

At home, Fey says Alice watches the occasional DVD — Mary Poppins is her fave, mom says — but watching a flick in public ... well, that's a different story.

Joked Fey, "I hope no one takes it personally if she melts down in the movie."

The pair have another important date coming up soon: Thanksgiving.

Fey told Us her favorite Thanksgiving tradition with her love, composer Jeff Richmond: "Eating my husband’s corn bread stuffing!"

Beautiful baby. Poor kid actually has the middle name Zenobia.

Comedienne TINA FEY regrets slamming PARIS HILTON as "a piece of s**t" during a radio interview, but remains concerned by the influence the socialite has over a generation of teenage girls. The 37-year-old was a guest on Howard Stern's U.S. radio show in late 2006 when she took aim at Hilton, who had just hosted an episode of Fey's former show Saturday Night Live. Fey now admits her comments went too far - but she's still appalled the hotel heiress is famous for behaviour such as emerging from a car wearing no underwear, starring in a leaked sex tape and a recent stint in jail for a probation violation. Fey says, "I regret sinking to that level of discourse. But Paris is a terrible role model and a terrible young woman. She needs to be ignored. "I work with people who have 12, 13, 14-year-old girls, who are fascinated by her. They look up to her, and that's not great. You can buy videotapes in which you can see her bejanis (vagina)! "There's a whole generation of girls in Hollywood who think that they can say stuff in the press and make it true. It's not just Paris, a whole bunch of them do."

contactmusic.com

I LOVE TINA!

But what does it say when you are on a show and it books guests like Nicole Richie and Paris Hilton?

contactmusic.com

I LOVE TINA!

But what does it say when you are on a show and it books guests like Nicole Richie and Paris Hilton?

Yes, I know. I just love Thirty Rock. I don't think she had as much control over Saturday Night Live. Tracy Morgan and Alec Baldwin are wonderful actors.

Edited by Bette Davis

Tina Fey wins network TV’s only Globe

‘30 Rock’ star nabs best actress in TV comedy; cable shows win all others

msnbc.com

If not for Tina Fey, the Golden Globes would have pitched an embarrassing shutout at broadcast television Sunday.

Fey was honored as best actress in a TV musical or comedy for her role as Liz Lemon in NBC’s absurdist “30 Rock,” the series she created based on her former job as head writer on “Saturday Night Live.”

All of the other television Golden Globes went to shows on cable, giving potentially big publicity boosts to AMC’s “Mad Men” and FX’s “Damages.” The HBO miniseries “Longford” won all three awards for which it was nominated.

The Hollywood writers strike made for a glitz-free Globes, with the winners announced at a news conference without any of the stars picking up trophies or fumbling through acceptance speeches.

It had to have been a night of mixed feelings for Fey, known primarily for her writing. Fey has appeared on New York picket lines in support of the writers, whose strike cost her a chance at a national showcase for her acting.

She’s been self-effacing about that ability in the past.

“If you were to sit next to me at your cousin’s wedding, you would not particularly suss out what I do for a living,” she told The Associated Press when “30 Rock” debuted a season ago. “You might assume that I worked for Macy’s. At a managerial level.”

Alec Baldwin, who plays Lemon’s over-the-top corporate boss, lost his bid for best actor in a comedy. David Duchovny won for his role as an emotionally damaged writer in Showtime’s “Californication.”

Both series were beaten for the best comedy Globe by HBO’s “Extras.”

AMC’s first effort at a series, “Mad Men,” proved a critical hit and earned special recognition at the Globes, which has often championed television productions before they earn wide acceptance by the public.

The series set in an early-1960s New York advertising agency won best television drama. Jon Hamm, who plays the creative director of the Sterling Cooper ad agency, won best actor. He beat out Hugh Laurie of Fox’s “House,” who had won the past two Globes in the category.

Glenn Close, who plays the tough lawyer Patty Hewes in FX’s legal thriller “Damages,” earned best actress in a TV drama.

Queen Latifah took home a Globe for her role as an HIV-positive wife and mother in HBO’s “Life Support,” taking inspiration from her own youth.

“I grew up around these women and around these streets, so it was probably one of the more relatable backdrops that I’ve been able to sort of step into,” she said shortly before the TV movie’s premiere last winter.

The HBO drama “Longford” was about the colorful British politician Lord Longford, who advocated for notorious murderer Myra Hindley. Jim Broadbent and Samantha Morton, who played those characters, both earned Globes. “Longford” also won as best TV movie or miniseries.

Broadbent’s victory, however, prevented a feel-good story: also nominated in his category was 90-year-old actor Ernest Borgnine for his role in “A Grandpa for Christmas.”

© 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

A Whole New Fug

Posted Image

I love these Disney "celebrity whores as Disney characters" campaign, but they really fucked this one up. They had the fugness of Skeletor and they use him as Aladdin? You are telling me that you have Skeletor in front of you and you fail to use him as Jack Skellington from "Nightmare Before Christmas." Missed opportunity. Also, there's no way JLo could keep a floating carpet up. Her ego alone would force it to sink to the sand.

They also completely miscast Jessica Biel as Pocahontas. That bitch should've been Captain John. She's a dude! The only one I am fond of is Tina Fey as Tinkerbell. Shit, she could have played Pocahontas and I would've loved it.

The rest of the series includes JLo as Princess Jasmine, Whoopi Goldberg as the Genie, Gis Bundchen as Wendy and Mikhail Barishnykov as Peter Pan.

I really hope in their next series they make Star Jones get fat again to play Ursula. It would be a crime if they didn't do that.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

http://www.dlisted.com/node?page=1

Tina Fey to host first post-strike ‘SNL’ show

Show ‘thrives during an election year’ but couldn’t go on without writers

NEW YORK - NBC’s “Saturday Night Live,” the only late-night show completely shelved by the writers strike, is planning a Feb. 23 return, and former head writer and co-anchor of “Weekend Update,” Tina Fey, is scheduled to host. (Msnbc.com is a joint venture between Microsoft and NBC Universal.)

Actress Ellen Page, star of the Oscar-nominated film “Juno,” is set to host the show on March. 1. No musical guests have been announced yet.

How long has “Saturday Night Live” been gone? So long that it opened its second-to-last show before the strike with a skit about a Halloween party at presumed president-in-waiting Hillary Clinton’s house. The real Barack Obama made a cameo.

“It’s been a long dry spell without ‘Saturday Night Live’ on the air,” said Rick Ludwin, head of late-night entertainment at NBC, on Tuesday. “They’ve been sitting on the sidelines watching all this happening in politics and the primaries. ‘SNL’ thrives during an election year and they can’t wait to get back on.”

While the “Tonight” show and Conan O’Brien’s “Late Night” returned in January without writers and did shows with skeleton crews, “SNL” is so dependent on its writers that it couldn’t return without them.

The Associated Press and Access Hollywood contributed to this report.