Sign in to follow this  
BobbyD

Celebrity Acts of Dumbness

‘Grey’s’ T.R. Knight wants to make films

By Courtney Hazlett

The Scoop

Maybe George should have never passed his intern test — that would have given writers for “Grey’s Anatomy” an easy out, now that T.R. Knight is looking to be released from his contract.

Several ABC sources confirm that the details of Knight’s exit are still being worked out, and that a departure from the show before the season ends this spring isn’t entirely out of the question. As to why Knight would want to leave the hit series, several sources say Knight wants to make the switch to film, and his inspiration, in part, is co-star Katherine Heigl.

“He’s seen what his friend (Heigl) has done with her career — lots of people in the industry said she wouldn’t translate to film and she has. He wants more than what he can get from ‘Grey’s,’” said one source.

There are also rumors that Knight has been dissatisfied with working on the show since Isaiah Washington’s infamous anti-gay slur, but another source says that isn’t the impetus for his departure.

“He’s not inspired by his story, by George," the source says. "He’s convinced he can do films. It’s as simple as that.”

“There are rumors every season about characters leaving our series,” said a rep for ABC. “As with all these rumors, no comment.” Knight’s rep had no comment either.

By Courtney Hazlett

The Scoop

Maybe George should have never passed his intern test — that would have given writers for “Grey’s Anatomy” an easy out, now that T.R. Knight is looking to be released from his contract.

Several ABC sources confirm that the details of Knight’s exit are still being worked out, and that a departure from the show before the season ends this spring isn’t entirely out of the question. As to why Knight would want to leave the hit series, several sources say Knight wants to make the switch to film, and his inspiration, in part, is co-star Katherine Heigl.

“He’s seen what his friend (Heigl) has done with her career — lots of people in the industry said she wouldn’t translate to film and she has. He wants more than what he can get from ‘Grey’s,’” said one source.

There are also rumors that Knight has been dissatisfied with working on the show since Isaiah Washington’s infamous anti-gay slur, but another source says that isn’t the impetus for his departure.

“He’s not inspired by his story, by George," the source says. "He’s convinced he can do films. It’s as simple as that.”

“There are rumors every season about characters leaving our series,” said a rep for ABC. “As with all these rumors, no comment.” Knight’s rep had no comment either.

Yeah, because that always works out well. Hasn't he gotten the memo that actors who leave TV shows to do movies almost always fail to keep their careers on track (excepting, like, George Clooney)? And Heigl has only been successful because she did a movie with a hit-maker, Apatow, (then denounced it like a fool, so they won't be working with her again), and because she's currently on a hit show. Once she leaves, I doubt she'll have a film career either. Big heads over there at GA.

By Courtney Hazlett

The Scoop

Yeah, because that always works out well. Hasn't he gotten the memo that actors who leave TV shows to do movies almost always fail to keep their careers on track (excepting, like, George Clooney)? And Heigl has only been successful because she did a movie with a hit-maker, Apatow, (then denounced it like a fool, so they won't be working with her again), and because she's currently on a hit show. Once she leaves, I doubt she'll have a film career either. Big heads over there at GA.

Okay, I'll be the frist to say it: David Caruso.

By Courtney Hazlett

The Scoop

Exactly!

By Courtney Hazlett

The Scoop

Along with pretty much everyone from "Friends", Eriq La Salle and a host of others.

Audrina leaving ‘Hills,’ but has new TV deal

New series will reportedly follow star’s ‘personal and professional life’

msnbc.com

Access Hollywood

LOS ANGELES - Audrina Patridge is leaving “The Hills,” but the young star is not leaving the world of reality television.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Patridge will leave the popular MTV reality series following its upcoming fifth season for a new deal with Mark Burnett Productions, the reality show producer behind “The Apprentice” and “Survivor.”

Patridge’s new series will reportedly follow the star’s “personal and professional life.”

It will be shopped around to various networks next week.

“We are truly pleased to have the chance to work with Audrina,” Burnett told the entertainment trade mag. “She has already proved her star quality, and we can’t wait to show her fans worldwide the next stage of her life and career.”

With news that Patridge is exiting “The Hills,” along with Lauren Conrad’s recent announcement that she too will not be back for another season, does this mean the show’s days are numbered?

“We cannot confirm a sixth season at this time,” an MTV spokesperson told the mag. “However, ‘The Hills’ will continue as long as there are stories to tell, and as of now we don’t see an end in sight.”

“The Hills” returns on March 30 for its 10-episode fifth season on MTV.

Copyright 2009 by NBC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Movie-sequel casualties: The actors left behind

Film juggernaut 'Iron Man' will continue on without Terrence Howard. Will it hurt the film? That's a chance that filmmakers take when swapping out major characters after a major success.

By Rachel Abramowitz

April 27, 2009

Hell hath no fury like an actor scorned.

Anyone who's talked to Terrence Howard recently knows that the actor is still fighting mad six months after being replaced in the upcoming "Iron Man 2."

"It was a very, very bad choice," fumed Howard, who played Iron Man's Army buddy Lt. Col. James "Rhodey" Rhodes in the first film, to Parade magazine about Marvel Studios' decision to reboot the part with Don Cheadle in the role. "You don't make $800 million and then try and shake everyone down. That's not nice," he said to MTV News, exaggerating the film's worldwide box-office gross by a mere $200 million. "It was the surprise of a lifetime," he told NPR. "There was no explanation. The contract just . . . up and vanished."

Howard, whose film "Fighting" opened in third place this weekend with an estimated $11.4 million, has joined a long, and not always illustrious, line of actors who've been booted from franchises or dropped out by choice (or some combination thereof), only to be replaced by another actor stepping in to take over the character. You can call it getting "Darrined," after Dick York, who was replaced by Dick Sargent as Darrin on the TV series "Bewitched." Or perhaps being "Baldwinized" is a better term, for Alec Baldwin, who starred as Jack Ryan in the movie of Tom Clancy's "The Hunt for Red October" but was replaced by the far more popular Harrison Ford for the next two installments.

Hollywood might be experiencing an upswing in movie attendance, but that hasn't stopped the studios from attempting to scale back on star salaries. Concept is king at the moment, and conventional Hollywood wisdom states that the franchise is bigger than any one actor -- particularly if the character lives on in another medium such as comic books or toy lines -- although that adage becomes less true for characters born on the big screen, such as Indiana Jones.

But singling out the specific element that made a movie successful is hardly an objective exercise. How does one account for the unexpected success of the fourth in the "Fast and Furious" franchise -- a concept-driven movie if there ever was one -- in which original stars Vin Diesel and Paul Walker reassumed their roles to a thundering box office take?

"I don't think No. 4 would ever have been as big without these actors in it," says "Fast & Furious" producer Neal Moritz, who notes that changing key elements in a franchise can be a risky proposition.

Mace Neufeld, longtime producer of the Jack Ryan movies, also cautions against cavalierly assuming that actors don't matter as much as the characters they play. Replacement actors "have to remake the film as their own," he explains.

Of course, it all depends on who gets replaced and his or her importance to the franchise. Maggie Gyllenhaal took over for Katie Holmes as the Caped Crusader's love interest, Rachel Dawes, in "The Dark Knight," and no one protested. But it was a shock when Jodie Foster declined to reassume her Oscar-winning part as Clarice Starling in "Hannibal," the sequel to "The Silence of the Lambs." Yet "Hannibal" proved to the more popular film at the box office, earning $352 million to "Lambs' " $272 million, suggesting perhaps that it was Anthony Hopkins' malevolent Hannibal who was the indispensable audience favorite.

Now: the audience

In the case of Howard, it will be up to the audience to decide how much he mattered (or didn't) when "Iron Man 2" hits theaters next year. Both Marvel and Howard declined to comment for this article. But a source, who requested anonymity because of his proximity to the project, said there was much hand-wringing at Marvel over whether to bring Howard back for the second installment. In the case of "Iron Man," like many of the comic-book franchises, Marvel had options on all the key actors for three movies, so as not to be forced into handing over astronomical paydays if the film was successful.

Interestingly, Howard was the highest-paid actor in the first film, but according to press reports, Marvel offered him a significant pay cut for the second film, in line with what the other supporting characters were making. Howard wasn't willing to walk back on his fee, and an impasse was reached. (WHAT A DUMBASS...TAKE THE PAY CUT..PUNK)

Howard, who was nominated for an Oscar for "Hustle & Flow," isn't the only one to tussle with the studio over money. Samuel L. Jackson nearly walked away from a deal signing him to play superhero Nick Fury in nine (yes, nine) separate Marvel films. Though Jackson and Marvel ultimately came to terms, Howard was not so lucky. It didn't help that, as some critics pointed out, Howard struggled to hold his own against the razor-sharp comedic stylings of Robert Downey Jr., who played Tony Stark, a.k.a. Iron Man.

Adding to the stakes was the fact that whoever played Rhodey could conceivably have wound up with his own franchise. It's no secret that Marvel has plans of world domination, creating an entire cinematic universe where comic-book characters from one movie appear in other films before spinning off into their own movies (hence Nick Fury showing up briefly at the end of "Iron Man"). In the comic books, Rhodey eventually becomes the superhero War Machine, who was also part of the "Avengers" ensemble series.

Losing a part in a movie juggernaut often can put the chill on a career, but it's hardly a career killer. Alec Baldwin's stardom sputtered briefly after he walked away from "Clear and Present Danger," but it didn't take him long to land the next marquee role.

For Howard, it seems that he's already fantasizing about another superhero gig. He's angling to star as Black Lightning, the first African American superhero from Marvel rival DC Comics. As he said to one newsman: "I don't think he's really been explored."

rachel.abramowitz @latimes.com

Partial list of Madoff Victims

I don't know if it was caused by dumbness, but some celebs besides just Kyra Sedgwick and Kevin Bacon also had $ invested with Bernie...

The one that caught my eye was the individual investor named Richard Spring, who is listed as an investment analyst. He's either stupid or very, very greedy and got what he deserves.

Edited by annabeast

I had heard about Kyra and Kevin getting screwed by Bernie but didn't know about Spielberg, Malkovich, Zaza Gabor etc. It must be embarrassing; I think I'd be tempted to keep it quiet if I'd lost millions to him!

I had heard about Kyra and Kevin getting screwed by Bernie but didn't know about Spielberg, Malkovich, Zaza Gabor etc. It must be embarrassing; I think I'd be tempted to keep it quiet if I'd lost millions to him!

The appearance of Kyra in that orange juice commercial was telling. But at least they are doing what they need to do (working!) rather than whining, so good for them.

What orange juice commercial? Sorry... don't live in the US.

Funny that I don't remember the brand! But essentially it is Kyra dancing orgasmically around her kitchen with a glass of orange juice. As bad as that sounds, she actually pulls it off with just enough of a campy vibe.

What orange juice commercial? Sorry... don't live in the US.

Funny that I don't remember the brand! But essentially it is Kyra dancing orgasmically around her kitchen with a glass of orange juice. As bad as that sounds, she actually pulls it off with just enough of a campy vibe.

Reason #458 on why i love you tube!

It’s official: T.R. Knight to exit ‘Grey’s Anatomy’

Actor plans to headline Broadway revival of ‘Lend Me a Tenor’ in 2010

By Michael Ausiello

Fall's still months away, but one of last season's bigger “Grey's Anatomy” cliffhangers has already been resolved: Sources confirm to me exclusively that ABC has granted T.R. Knight's wish to be released from his contract. The official decision, I'm told, came down in the past few days, just as many of his castmates began receiving their formal pickup letters from the network.

What does this news mean for George? What will Knight do next? And what about Izzie? Find out after the jump...

The actor's exit closes yet another rocky chapter for the embattled primetime soap, one that opened with Isaiahgate and worsened when, amid rumors that Knight was clashing with series creator Shonda Rhimes, George O'Malley was backburnered. Finally, Knight grew so fed up with his character's lack of storyline that he asked if he could check out three years before his deal expired. After that, all indications were that he would be let go, although Rhimes didn't make a final decision until recently. (Contractually speaking, she had until June 30 to make up her mind.)

Last month, Rhimes told me that George's relatively light storyline this year was the result of the normal "ebbs and flows" of ensemble television. But she did acknowledge that he was intentionally written lighter during the last half of the season so that viewers wouldn't think it odd that he was absent from the season finale — something that was necessary to preserve the episode's biggest twist: that George was actually a disfigured John Doe who had been hit by a bus. "I really wanted you to not notice that he wasn't there for most of this episode," she said. "I don't think anybody noticed because of the way we laid it out this season."

Knight's departure would seem to confirm that George doesn't survive, although fans have wondered whether Rhimes is planning to pull an Elizabeth Reaser (Jane Doe/Rebecca) and have him live, only to be replaced by another actor, thanks to plastic surgeon Sloane's handiwork. That's "hilarious, ridiculous," the boss has said. However, I've heard that she was interested in having Knight appear in next season's first three episodes, but a short-term deal could not be brokered.

What will Knight do now? Per an insider, the theatrically-trained thesp is in talks to start 2010 by headlining a Broadway revival of Lend Me a Tenor, the classic farce he recently did a reading of with Alfred Molina, Tony Shalhoub and Marian Seldes.

Reps for Knight and ABC declined to comment.

Now that the question of George's future seems to have been answered, another puzzler moves to the forefront: What's going to happen to Katherine Heigl's Izzie, whose life also hung in the balance in last May's capper? Stay tuned...

I love that you put the T.R. Knight story here. You are right, we will probably never hear from him again... just like Isaiah whatshisname!!

Edited because: Damn! I cannot type!

Edited by branchop

TR who?

:smileapprove:

Ouch.

At least Heigl came to her senses and is returning to Grey's. Geez, TR you are an openly gay actor in Hollywood, what are you going to do? Nevermind, he's going to Broadway.

Stuart Townsend bails out of Thor film

January 10th, 2010

Author David Pepose

The Warriors Three know how to roll with the punches — even as Stuart Townsend has apparently left the film over “creative differences.”

The Associated Press has said that the Queen of the Damned star and would-be Fandral the Dashing, just as shooting for the film is set to begin tomorrow.

That said, Kenneth Branagh seemed to have a back-up plan already in the mix, as relative newcomer Joshua Dallas (that’s him in the above image) has apparently been tapped to play the Asgardian version of Errol Flynn.

Consider this two for two on Townsend’s part, as there was another genre movie he was slated to take part in a few years back. You might have heard of it — it was the Lord of the Rings trilogy, of which he was replaced by none other than Viggo Mortensen. Either which way, production seems unfazed, as all accounts point to the film coming out at its accelerated due date of May 6, 2011.

Sheen reportedly leaving ‘Two and a Half Men’

‘He’s quietly telling friends he’s not coming back,’ source tells PEOPLE

PEOPLE.com

By Elizabeth Leonard

Latest news from

updated 2 hours, 1 minute ago

Charlie Sheen wants out.

After seven seasons, CBS’s hit sitcom “Two and a Half Men” will be down one man after the April 9 taping, sources tell PEOPLE. The reason? “Charlie’s just done,” says a set source. “And he’s quietly telling his friends he’s not coming back.”

Although sources say the network hoped the star would sign a new contract for an eighth season, Sheen recently turned down the offer. “He wants to move on,” says a friend of the actor, whose contract is fulfilled after he tapes this season’s 22nd episode. “Leaving is 100 percent his idea.”

Sheen rep Stan Rosenfield would only say: “Charlie’s deal is only through this current season.”

Sheen, who faces domestic violence charges stemming from a Christmas Day fight with wife Brooke Mueller, entered rehab on Feb. 24 as “a preventative measure” and has been returning to rehab after work each night.

A CBS spokesperson says the network doesn’t comment on contract issues.

Sheen reportedly leaving ‘Two and a Half Men’

‘He’s quietly telling friends he’s not coming back,’ source tells PEOPLE

PEOPLE.com

By Elizabeth Leonard

Latest news from

updated 2 hours, 1 minute ago

Charlie Sheen wants out.

After seven seasons, CBS’s hit sitcom “Two and a Half Men” will be down one man after the April 9 taping, sources tell PEOPLE. The reason? “Charlie’s just done,” says a set source. “And he’s quietly telling his friends he’s not coming back.”

Although sources say the network hoped the star would sign a new contract for an eighth season, Sheen recently turned down the offer. “He wants to move on,” says a friend of the actor, whose contract is fulfilled after he tapes this season’s 22nd episode. “Leaving is 100 percent his idea.”

Sheen rep Stan Rosenfield would only say: “Charlie’s deal is only through this current season.”

Sheen, who faces domestic violence charges stemming from a Christmas Day fight with wife Brooke Mueller, entered rehab on Feb. 24 as “a preventative measure” and has been returning to rehab after work each night.

A CBS spokesperson says the network doesn’t comment on contract issues.

Why do I think this is a negotiating ploy?

Jennifer Aniston sees directing in her future

Actress nearing point where creatively she wants ‘a different direction’

updated 1 hour, 57 minutes ago

LONDON - After years of starring in romantic comedies, actress Jennifer Aniston is hoping to step behind the camera and direct her first feature film.

The former "Friends" star told reporters in London that she was thinking about branching out after making more than six movies since the end of the popular TV comedy in 2004.

"I have a project in development I'm going to direct. After you get enough movies under your belt you sit back and go, 'What's next?'," Aniston, 41, was quoted as saying by Britain's The Sun newspaper on Monday.

"It's getting to a time where creatively I want to turn in a different direction," she added.

Aniston's directorial feature debut however could still be some years away. The "Bounty Hunter" and "Marley and Me" star has acting role movies in three other movies scheduled for release in 2010 and 2011.

Aniston's publicist in Los Angeles said nothing concrete had been decided and that possible projects Aniston might direct are still in the writing stage of development.

Aniston has already co-directed the 2006 short drama "Room 10" with Andrea Buchanan that won a prize at the CineVegas film festival.

If she moves into feature film directing, she would follow the likes of Hollywood actresses Drew Barrymore and Helen Hunt.

Aniston last week unveiled plans for a new perfume called Lovalie that will be launched in London this summer. She also revealed an ad campaign for the fragrance that shows her sitting on a rock at a beach wrapped only in a large towel.

Copyright 2010 Reuters

One thing that really makes me want to yell at the screen is when some actor/actress says the career was completely by accident. I was watching Letterman and he had on a guest, Kerry Washington that basically said her acting career was completely by accident. I guess those less informed about how the casting process works would believe this crap. But many actors try to make it seem that they were doing something else completely (*sarcasm font* solving world hunger, etc) when someone just asked them out of the blue to be in their movie. It makes me want to throttle them and yell do you really think I'm that stupid!